Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,540 members, 7,827,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:27 AM

What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach (38098 Views)

How To Prepare The Spinach & Mushroom Pasta With Chicken / Please Help, He Needs Information On The Local Name For Walnut In Nigeria / Evening Bitter Leaf And Spinach Egusi Soup In Atlanta, Ga. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach by nwarosa: 9:34am On Jul 24, 2015
I know its a vegetable but I can't seem to identify it. Please help .
Re: What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach by Nobody: 10:00am On Jul 24, 2015
Añara. That is the Igbo name. It might have other names in other Ignoa dialects. But that is what it is called in most of Imo state communities.
Re: What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach by nwarosa: 10:07am On Jul 24, 2015
You are saying its garden egg leaves?
kaorama:
Añara. That is the Igbo name. It might have other names in other Ignoa dialects. But that is what it is called in most of Imo state communities.
Re: What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 24, 2015
nwarosa:
You are saying its garden egg leaves?
Okay oo. Thought I got it
Re: What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach by nwarosa: 10:43am On Jul 24, 2015
Lol, I was just clarifying, trying to be certain what you meant.
kaorama:

Okay oo. Thought I got it
Re: What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach by Nobody: 11:21am On Jul 24, 2015
nwarosa:
Lol, I was just clarifying, trying to be certain what you meant.

It is generally called inine.

2 Likes

Re: What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach by nwarosa: 7:45am On Aug 26, 2015
kaorama:

It is generally called inine.
Thanks
Re: What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach by ibro4las(m): 12:43am On May 08, 2016
Yoruba call it AMUNU TUTU
Re: What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach by Nobody: 3:15am On Apr 18, 2018
[color=#000099][/color]
The original spinach is not in Nigeria, but Añara and green vegetables are the similar ones
Re: What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach by mafaben(m): 5:58am On Feb 16, 2020
Original Indian Spinach is called Ngbolodi in Igbo and it's climb walls or anything tall while growing.

1 Like

Re: What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach by Jancy606(f): 3:34pm On May 20, 2020
mafaben:
Original Indian Spinach is called Ngbolodi in Igbo and it's climb walls or anything tall while growing.
That’s water leaf
Re: What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach by ccffwx: 7:54pm On May 20, 2020
Spinach is called nchanwu in Igbo.
Re: What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach by ewa26: 9:15pm On May 20, 2020
ccffwx:

is that not scent leaf for ofe akwu
Re: What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach by Chris8t(m): 11:55pm On Jul 09, 2023
nwarosa:
I know its a vegetable but I can't seem to identify it. Please help .
The igbo name is Mgborodi

1 Like

Re: What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach by Maris97(f): 10:35am On Jul 10, 2023
It is called Inine or Akwukwo Nri
Re: What's The Igbo Or Local Name For Spinach by Probz(m): 7:52pm On Jul 10, 2023
ccffwx:

No. That’s tropical scent leaves (Ocimum gratissimum |clove/wild/African basil). All I know for spinach is that the Indian form is the one most affiliated with Igboland specifically and some people like using all or some of them (alongside curry leaves) in stews, although nchuanwu specifically is more associated with ofe akwu and sometimes plantain porridge than anything. Nchuanwu plant actually has anti-bacterial/food-preservative qualities (like salt) so it could probably keep stew fresh long-term but it’s the opposite for spinach and curry leaves, so you should only add them close to the time of eating the stew and only for people who like leaves in their stew. Some do, some don’t and some feel both ways depending on their mood and how much body they want to give to the stew itself that particular day.

(1) (Reply)

Beans Dish Replicated In The Uk By Nairalander / I Caught This Pigeon Flying In My Room, I Cooked And Ate It / Foods You Should Eat With The Peel On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.