Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,500 members, 7,836,948 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:53 PM

Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? (3832 Views)

I Have 3.5M & I Want To Buy A Car. What Do You Suggest For Me. / Just Bought A Used Car? What Next? / Now, You've Gotten A Hybrid Car. What Next? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by chukel(m): 6:23pm On Jun 04, 2017
honmusa:

It no use beating a horse .Anybody that feels education(professional) is expensive ,let him try ignorance(kazeeem) that will send him back to village.
it was still one of u professionals that fixed a wrong engine in a car, rushed to nairaland to show off and got hooked. Nobody is denying the fact that competent hand is good, but u guys need to reevaluate the way u rush to threads to drag people to your shop. Emulate gazzuzz. It's not hard.
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by honmusa(m): 9:04pm On Jun 04, 2017
chukel:
it was still one of u professionals that fixed a wrong engine in a car, rushed to nairaland to show off and got hooked. Nobody is denying the fact that competent hand is good, but u guys need to reevaluate the way u rush to threads to drag people to your shop. Emulate gazzuzz. It's not hard.
Issue will determine the kind of solution that will be preferred . I am a professional , I adopt scientific approach to achieve 100% and accurate diagnosis which is a combination of car repair history , customer observation and data gathered with my professional tool which is why physically inspection is needed most .
This can never be achieved online ,physical meeting is needed atimes and is a matter of choice that the car owner can oblige to
I am been a practising techie for more than a decade now and I can openly boast that it has been a successful journey so far for me and my crew .U don't need to like my approach as I don't owe u anything cos you you don't know a pin about this profession ,I am the professional here.Also you don't need to rant about that I should copy some one else style, Companies policies differs .Instead of wasting your effort to put someone else down ,use that effort to find your area of strength and you will have that inner joy of putting smile to people's face.Remember backbiter will always remain at the back no matter what .

Finally ,what is my concerned with your story of a professional that fixed wrong engine ,if you have issue with that and you find nothing tangible to do with your time ,u can start a thread on it instead of throwing blames around.
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by mayor2013: 10:53pm On Jun 04, 2017
chukel:

Smh!!! I sympathise with you on this
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by tutuwater(m): 11:15am On Jun 05, 2017
I was going to ask for you to define a "professional" and a quack but I am not going to give my car to anybody "professional" or quack that won't allow me to supervise what they are doing with my car.
Considering I am not living in Lagos and to take my car to a "professional" in Lagos might require the "professional" working on the car without me being there. I will rather give the car to a Kazeem that I can supervise.

1 Like

Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by chukel(m): 4:48pm On Jun 05, 2017
mayor2013:

Smh!!! I sympathise with you on this
if you are the one, please go and complete the thread.
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by chukel(m): 4:55pm On Jun 05, 2017
honmusa:

Issue will determine the kind of solution that will be preferred . I am a professional , I adopt scientific approach to achieve 100% and accurate diagnosis which is a combination of car repair history , customer observation and data gathered with my professional tool which is why physically inspection is needed most .
This can never be achieved online ,physical meeting is needed atimes and is a matter of choice that the car owner can oblige to
I am been a practising techie for more than a decade now and I can openly boast that it has been a successful journey so far for me and my crew .U don't need to like my approach as I don't owe u anything cos you you don't know a pin about this profession ,I am the professional here.Also you don't need to rant about that I should copy some one else style, Companies policies differs .Instead of wasting your effort to put someone else down ,use that effort to find your area of strength and you will have that inner joy of putting smile to people's face.Remember backbiter will always remain at the back no matter what .

Finally ,what is my concerned with your story of a professional that fixed wrong engine ,if you have issue with that and you find nothing tangible to do with your time ,u can start a thread on it instead of throwing blames around.

go thru all gazzuz's thread, he has never touted "professional" yet people accord him that respect cos he has earned it. He earned it by helping people and never dragging them to his shop. Nobody is pulling anybody down. Just a simple advice to help you do well. See how you have taken it to be antagonistic. Typical Nigerian. Do you know who a true professional is? Gazzuz. A king does not need to remind his subjects that he is a king.
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by honmusa(m): 8:47pm On Jun 05, 2017
chukel:
go thru all gazzuz's thread, he has never touted "professional" yet people accord him that respect cos he has earned it. He earned it by helping people and never dragging them to his shop. Nobody is pulling anybody down. Just a simple advice to help you do well. See how you have taken it to be antagonistic. Typical Nigerian. Do you know who a true professional is? Gazzuz. A king does not need to remind his subjects that he is a king.
No need dragging words with u any longer .I can clearly read BTW your line of point that you are the devil that to cause unnecessary rivalry but I am too mature and too busy to get into that .Like I say earlier ,tell me what you personally have with evidence on this forum to put smile on people face.
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by AutoElectNG: 9:37pm On Jun 05, 2017
Please check if there are any codes thrown by this vehicle and report back.

I want to know what the computer sees before saying anything more.
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by tutuwater(m): 7:10am On Jun 06, 2017
AutoElectNG:

There is no check engine light. The car is a Toyota Avensis 2004 with 1azfe engine manual transmission. The check engine light is not disabled though. I just observe a lot on my car and plan to know a lot about the car. I would try to generic scan it though to see what codes it would throw out.
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by mayor2013: 7:12am On Jun 06, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Computer box throwing a fault error for this kind of problem. This is a joke sir grin
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by honmusa(m): 8:21am On Jun 06, 2017
AutoElectNG:

This is engine related issue that the OP complain about not powertrain .Even if there is code ,it is not related to the scope of complaint.
I don't think you go to field to see the real stuff,you are more of Internet mechanic.
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by mayor2013: 8:42am On Jun 06, 2017
honmusa:

This is engine related issue that the OP complain about not powertrain .Even if there is code ,it is not related to the scope of complaint.
I don't think you go to field to see the real stuff,you are more of Internet mechanic.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by erico2k2(m): 9:48pm On Jun 06, 2017
honmusa:

grin grin grin
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by AutoElectNG: 10:45pm On Jun 06, 2017
tutuwater:

There is no check engine light. The car is a Toyota Avensis 2004 with 1azfe engine manual transmission. The check engine light is not disabled though. I just observe a lot on my car and plan to know a lot about the car. I would try to generic scan it though to see what codes it would throw out.

Now that you have ruled out any Powertrain codes, we need to look at something else.

Has any electrical or mechanical work been done on this vehicle before the tachometer started playing around? If yes, please kindly provide details. If no, that is not the end of the world. There are things we can still do.

I am concerned with addressing this part of your query: 2. When Idling my car's tachometer fluctuates up and down. When starting cold it can suddenly be high or low. When driving once the car is in neutral the tachometer fluctuates what should I check.

I have the full factory service manual so I can help you if you are the DIY kind of guy.

I am suspecting that you may have issues with this vehicle's grounds.

By the way, a tachometer "an instrument that measures the working speed of an engine (especially in a road vehicle), typically in revolutions per minute."

It needs a way to report that speed to the ECU/ECM/PCM, and that explains why I started by asking, what is the ECM( as Toyota calls it for your vehicle) seeing before going on to further analysis and diagnosis
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by AutoElectNG: 11:15pm On Jun 06, 2017
honmusa:

For the record

-I know what is driving you, my post that you should be open enough to try the suggestions you were given!
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by honmusa(m): 11:35am On Jun 07, 2017
AutoElectNG:

For the record

-I know what is driving you, my post that you should be open enough to try the suggestions you were given!
ok sir
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by tutuwater(m): 7:30pm On Jun 07, 2017
AutoElectNG:

Now that you have ruled out any Powertrain codes, we need to look at something else.

Has any electrical or mechanical work been done on this vehicle before the tachometer started playing around? If yes, please kindly provide details. If no, that is not the end of the world. There are things we can still do.

I am concerned with addressing this part of your query: 2. When Idling my car's tachometer fluctuates up and down. When starting cold it can suddenly be high or low. When driving once the car is in neutral the tachometer fluctuates what should I check.

I have the full factory service manual so I can help you if you are the DIY kind of guy.

I am suspecting that you may have issues with this vehicle's grounds.

By the way, a tachometer "an instrument that measures the working speed of an engine (especially in a road vehicle), typically in revolutions per minute."

It needs a way to report that speed to the ECU/ECM/PCM, and that explains why I started by asking, what is the ECM( as Toyota calls it for your vehicle) seeing before going on to further analysis and diagnosis

Not related to all your suggestions. Thanks but no Thanks.
I guess the issue is related to the car's PCV or Vaccum line
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by 0b100100111: 3:25am On Jun 09, 2017
mayor2013:
What colour is the smoke? You need to be specific. If blue and comes out only in the morning and stops after some few seconds then we looking at a bad valve stem seal .if white then we looking at perhaps an overheating issue which led to a cracked cylinder head. So be much more specific so as to guide you accordingly

Chairman! But the early morning steam(pure white smoke that comes out exhaust is not a problem? It only happens in the morning at start-up. Please enlighten me.

Also, I happen to run a Mobil1 synthetic oil but hardly drive the SUV, I have not covered a thousand miles in 16 months, is it advisable I flush out oil?

Thanks
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by honmusa(m): 6:37am On Jun 09, 2017
0b100100111:

Chairman! But the early morning steam(pure white smoke that comes out exhaust is not a problem? It only happens in the morning at start-up. Please enlighten me.

Also, I happen to run a Mobil1 synthetic oil but hardly drive the SUV, I have not covered a thousand miles in 16 months, is it advisable I flush out oil?

Thanks
Early morning steam coming out is normal especially cold morning as this is due to condensation action that has occurred overnight when the temperature has dropped .The engine will need to get rid of all this water in the morning which will come out in form of steam .
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by 0b100100111: 7:50am On Jun 09, 2017
honmusa:

Early morning steam coming out is normal especially cold morning as this is due to condensation action that has occurred overnight when the temperature has dropped .The engine will need to get rid of all this water in the morning which will come out in form of steam .

Thanks!

Thanks
Re: Smoke Exhaust From My Car? What Should I Check? by honmusa(m): 8:31am On Jun 09, 2017
0b100100111:

Thanks!

Thanks
Stick to 6 month service schedule cos the oil chemical additives will still disintegrates wether the car is driven or not .

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where in Lagos Can I Remove This Dent On My Car / Between 2008 C300, 2010 VW Cc And 2010 Is250 / Windscreen Got Shattered Without External Force

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.