Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,629 members, 7,813,086 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:43 AM

Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP (1665 Views)

Everybody Suffers As Nigeria Heads To Poll - Daily Mail UK / Igbo Ekunie Initiative: Another Pro-Biafra Agitation Group Emerges In Nigeria / Despite Court Order, Nnamdi Kanu Addresses Pro-biafra Crowd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by nigerdeltaaa: 3:15pm On May 29, 2017
Nnamdi Kanu walks slowly across the courtyard of his family home in Umuahia, southeast Nigeria, as a crowd of supporters in the red, black and green of the Biafran flag hail him as their saviour. Eighteen months in custody does not appear to have affected his fight against Nigeria. "I am more determined than ever," Kanu, who heads the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) movement, tells AFP calmly. Kanu, who was released on bail at the end of April, still faces trial on treason charges. But there is no question of his remaining silent as a key date approaches on Tuesday: the 50th anniversary of the declaration of an independent Republic of Biafra.

The secession of the Igbo people in the southeast sparked a bloody civil war that lasted nearly three years until 1970. More than one million people died of the effects of war, famine and disease. Kanu says his aim is "civil disobedience until we get a referendum (on self-determination)", calling it "the only way forward".
- 'Deliberate' retribution -
After the war, Biafra was reintegrated into Nigeria, an ethnic and religious hotch-potch of nearly 190 million people where sectarian tensions regularly flare. But in "Igboland", the dream of independence never really disappeared, fuelled by a sense that the Nigerian government had abandoned them -- perhaps deliberately -- after the conflict.
Veterans and young supporters crowd around in turn to hear the bespectacled Kanu speak. In the living room where he receives guests, a life-size painting covering an entire wall depicts the prodigal son in military uniform. He variously denounces what he says are the "killings" and "rapes" of Igbos by the security forces, and President Muhammadu Buhari's "deliberate policy to impoverish the people". Kanu, who is in his 40s, spent his childhood in Umuahia, which was the former Biafran capital, a stone's throw from the separatist forces' bunker, and was clearly no stranger to politics. He refuses to give his exact age but as the eldest of five children, he grew up from a young age with stories from his father, who gave logistic support to the resistance.
- 'Demi-god persona' -
Unknown to most Nigerians even two years ago, Kanu had long launched virulent diatribes against Nigeria from London, where he settled after his studies and founded the pirate radio station Radio Biafra in 2009. He worked in real estate and campaigned on the airwaves at night. For a time he was a member of another pro-independence group, the Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra. He left MASSOB and founded IPOB in 2013. Two years later at the World Igbo Congress in Los Angeles, Kanu crossed a line with an apparent call to take up arms. "We need guns and we need bullets," he said. He was arrested at his hotel during a visit to Nigeria in October 2015.
Fred Anibeze, a Nigerian political scientist, called the arrest "unwarranted and uncalled for". "He is using the Biafra struggle to garner cheap publicity for himself via broadcast from Radio Biafra, and this has been further buttressed with the demi-god persona he has been getting since his release," he told AFP. Kanu's detention caused widespread anger among Igbos, and a series of protests calling for his release ended in bloodshed.
According to Amnesty International, Nigerian security forces killed at least 150 IPOB supporters in 2016. Abuja flatly rejects the claim. For Don Okereke, a security analyst, Kanu "embodies aspirations of a new generation, more activist, more radical" than their elders, who fought in the war. "He tells people just what they want to hear," he added.
- Lost tribe of Israel -
The extent of Kanu's support in the southeast of the country is difficult to gauge but his followers have virtually worshipped him since his release on bail. Kanu does not do anything to stop the myth-making and is protected round the clock by an impressive security detail, who thoroughly search all his visitors. Religion is ever-present in his speeches, and Kanu now wears the talit (Jewish prayer shawl) and observes the sabbath. IPOB followers also wear the kippah (skullcap). It all dates back to a "divine revelation" Kanu says he had during a trip to Jerusalem: the Igbo -- most of whom are Christian -- are descendents of a lost tribe of Israel, he says. Biafra is the "promised land" and it is his mission to restore it.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/afp/article-4551182/Nnamdi-Kanu-new-voice-pro-Biafra-independence.html

3 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by TheLadiesGuy: 3:16pm On May 29, 2017
F
Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by DieBuhari: 3:21pm On May 29, 2017
So one of those journalists we saw with him is from AFP?
Where are those Yoruba muslims that said he was only taking pictures with the journalists and not granting interviews

16 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by nigerdeltaaa: 3:22pm On May 29, 2017
Afonja be like, "ha, he granted interview to foreign journalist, Binta nyako must hear this"

19 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by vayne(m): 3:28pm On May 29, 2017
Ipob Dey nitro Mode o,clear road!

8 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by NwaEzefuNaMba(m): 3:28pm On May 29, 2017
conductor111:
You flat head Jews are jerous of our greenish soup heritage

jesu!! wah is dhiz? please add graphic cheesy

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by vayne(m): 3:34pm On May 29, 2017
conductor111:

If you vex me now hi will show you pictures of Abiola hEstate in Ibadam. sad You think it's Igbos that only know how to build haz?
Hehehehe,habeg pity em,they will nor do hit hagain grin

6 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by Truth4eva: 3:34pm On May 29, 2017
conductor111:
You flat head Jews are jerous of our greenish soup heritage
P/s I don't want to puke.

4 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by NIGHTMAREOO7: 3:41pm On May 29, 2017
Nawao.
Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by Okoroawusa: 4:09pm On May 29, 2017
for everything there is a season.nnamdi kanu season will come n go.he will come out of this,richer,famous n powerful but there will be causalities(physically n mentally).Nevertheless nigeria will always be ONE.*mark my words*

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by Iamwrath: 4:11pm On May 29, 2017
yet some ediots will die tomorrow for stupidity
Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by joeprince23(m): 4:27pm On May 29, 2017
i think nnamdi kanu is fighting for an independent jewish and christian state,which i personally love

6 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by NaijaMutant(f): 4:58pm On May 29, 2017
ok
Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by Nobody: 4:59pm On May 29, 2017
The attention this man is getting is too much now.....does this mean biafra would soon be achieved? I dont know, lets just keep our fingers crossed
Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by Candyrain(m): 5:01pm On May 29, 2017
Interesting.

So those journalists were AFP. And Afonjas almost made me believe they were albinos that missed road and landed in Kanu's house. grin grin grin
Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by DieBuhari: 5:08pm On May 29, 2017
Okoroawusa:
for everything there is a season.nnamdi kanu season will come n go.he will come out of this,richer,famous n powerful but there will be causalities(physically n mentally).Nevertheless nigeria will always be ONE.*mark my words*
Delusional Yoruba muslim

4 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by najoke: 5:12pm On May 29, 2017
[s][s]
nigerdeltaaa:
Afonja be like, "ha, he granted interview to foreign journalist, Binta nyako must hear this"
[/s]
DieBuhari:

Delusional Yoruba muslim
DieBuhari:
So one of those journalists we saw with him is from AFP?[/s]
Where are those Yoruba muslims that said he was only taking pictures with the journalists and not granting interviews
what do all these d**B Biafuros have in common ....anybody grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by anyimontana(m): 5:13pm On May 29, 2017
Dis is what I call journalism.proper referencing...no b all dis rush hush half bake news people dey report for here..IGBO AMAKA..
Share if u still believe in unity and like if u believe in Ipob
50yrs+ later
*,we can't even get electricity right,
*malu dey waka aimlessly for third mainland
Etc.
Infact,I want to shoot buhari on dis day,my mind tells me its d ryt tin to do

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by shaddoww: 5:18pm On May 29, 2017
I don't know why my fellow Yorubas have problem with people wanting to b the architect of their own destiny, "WE ARE ALL BIAFRIANS" afterall.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by mikeycharles(m): 5:18pm On May 29, 2017
I'm not shocked
Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by abouzaid: 5:51pm On May 29, 2017
the voice of America have already written about tomorrow's protest, the times of Israel have done so too,the afp,the British dailymail,all of them are on ground with their journalists, the chief prosecutor of the international criminal court is on ground too having been to maidugri.all is set for tomorrow's sit at home order, God is with us.

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by Agumbaa: 5:56pm On May 29, 2017
Okoroawusa:

He has refused to die down since 3 years. Even before arrest, he was popular. He built a movement, as long as the movement is growing, he isn't coming down anytime soon.

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by Agumbaa: 5:57pm On May 29, 2017
kingcity:
The attention this man is getting is too much now.....does this mean biafra would soon be achieved? I dont know, lets just keep our fingers crossed

If his personality does not bring in the needed media coverage, then how are we going to achieve our aim?
Re: Nnamdi Kanu: The New Voice Of Pro-biafra Independence- Daily Mail Uk, AFP by kingthreatz: 6:05pm On May 29, 2017
All hail the new god of the developer black jews, Nnamdi Kanu.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims / I’ll Complete 2nd Niger Bridge, Buhari Assures Southeast Leaders / Learn From My Mistake, Reach Out To OBJ- Jonathan Tells Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.