Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,864 members, 7,813,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:29 PM

The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims (1665 Views)

Seriake Dickson: In Defense Of The Nigerian Woman / Ambassador Campbell’s Curious Defense Of Buhari’s Corrupt Aso Rock Cabal -Farook / In Defense Of Abba Kyari By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by MagicBishop: 2:20pm On Jul 23, 2017
The "No True Scotsman" is a kind of informal fallacy first coined by British philosopher Antony Flew which attempts to protect a universal generalization from counterexamples by changing the definition in an ad hoc fashion to exclude the counterexample.

Lets slow down for a minute and elaborate with a simple example:

Person A: "No Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."

Person B: "But my uncle Angus likes sugar with his porridge."

Person A: "Ah yes, but no true Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge."

Now the above example is typical of how your average Muslim apologists responds when confronted with the disturbing and alarming growing trend of global radical Islamism.

Rather than confront the fact that more and more Muslims are towing the line of violent radical Islamism as portrayed by groups like Boko Haram, more and more so-called moderate Muslims are making excuses for both the radical Islamist and the violent ideological doctrine they sourced from both the Quaran and from Islamic history as not being the true virtues to which Islam and Muslims must be held accountable to.

This isn't limited just to a class of Muslim Moderates but appears to be the official line of defense (for Islam and Muslims first) by highly placed authorities and clerics of Islam.

The "No True Scotsman" defense used by Muslims to deflect from the activities of violent radical Islamic groups is thus nothing but a fallacy used by Muslims to deny that their religious doctrine as can be discerned from the Quaran does NOT in any way justifies the activities of groups like Boko Haram. Thus, the commonly and widely circulated Taqiyya : " Boko Haram are not TRUE Muslims".

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by respect80(m): 2:29pm On Jul 23, 2017
It's simple, if the Quran is so controversial that it's readers find it difficult to comprehend what is right or wrong then IT HAS TO BE REWRITTEN

2 Likes

Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by Nebuchadnezar: 2:34pm On Jul 23, 2017
my man is back
the terror to kunu drinking demons and gbegiri grinding scumbags

welcome back sir

am your biggest fan

make way for the baws omenka ngeneukwenu sarrki Jetleeee

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by papaejima1: 2:34pm On Jul 23, 2017
The thief always pleads not guilty

6 Likes

Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by MagicBishop: 2:47pm On Jul 23, 2017
respect80:
It's simple, if the Quran is so controversial that it's readers find it difficult to comprehend what is right or wrong then IT HAS TO BE REWRITTEN

What is universally agreed upon by all Muslims is the infallibility of the Quaran as the word of God and that Mohammed (their Prophet) is the moral benchmark to which all Muslims must both uphold and strive to imitate.

So, don't be expecting any editorial reviews of the Quaran or reforms in Islam anytime soon.

This is where I could never get to agree with the Amir of Kano, Sanusi who stated at one time that the spread of radical Islamism was as a result of "illiterate mallams spreading the wrong doctrine of Islam to illiterate northern youth". This can never be far from the truth, as the likes of Shekau draws Islamic doctrine as to why he is waging a Jihad in the northeast.

The more you go up in the social strata in the Muslim north, the more radicalization there is.

Groups like the MSS that were formed on Campus across the north in the 70's where at the forefront of the Islamization agenda we are facing today as those young northern Muslim students were instrumental through violent protest to blackmail the Obasanjo Military junta to include Sharia legislation into our constitution. Today, those young radical northern Muslim students are in power with prominent figures like the very same Amir Sanusi who was an exco member of the MSS where back when he was a student at ABU, Zaria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by respect80(m): 3:04pm On Jul 23, 2017
MagicBishop:

What is universally agreed upon by all Muslims is the infallibility of the Quaran as the word of God and that Mohammed (their Prophet) is the moral benchmark to which all Muslims must both uphold and strive to imitate.

So, don't be expecting any editorial reviews of the Quaran or reforms in Islam anytime soon.

This is where I could never get to agree with the Amir of Kano, Sanusi who stated at one time that the spread of radical Islamism was as a result of "illiterate mallams spreading the wrong doctrine of Islam to illiterate northern youth". This can never be far from the truth, as the likes of Shekau draws Islamic doctrine as to why he is waging a Jihad in the northeast.

The more you go up in the social strata in the Muslim north, the more radicalization there is.

Groups like the MSS that were formed on Campus across the north in the 70's where at the forefront of the Islamization agenda we are facing today as those young northern Muslim students were instrumental through violent protest to blackmail the Obasanjo Military junta to include Sharia legislation into our constitution. Today, those young radical northern Muslim students are in power with prominent figures like the very same Amir Sanusi who was an exco member of the MSS where back when he was a student at ABU, Zaria.

I don't buy that ideology by the emir. To be frank when we talk about terrorism the Quran clearly has its stance and those involved are actually living up to the expectations of Quran as far as I'm concerned except we accept some funny explanations.

If you talk, some "the Quran is infallible Muslims" will start quoting some Bible verses for you.
Nonetheless, thanks to the fact that there isn't a new word like Christianophobia begging to be added to the dictionary but for "ISLAMOPHOBIA" I believe it tears is demanding enough to quench hell

2 Likes

Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by MagicBishop: 3:09pm On Jul 23, 2017
respect80:

I don't buy that ideology by the emir. To be frank when we talk about terrorism the Quran clearly has its stance and those involved are actually living up to the expectations of Quran as far as I'm concerned except we accept some funny explanations.

If you talk, some "the Quran is infallible Muslims" will start quoting some Bible verses for you.
Nonetheless, thanks to the fact that there isn't a new word like Christianophobia begging to be added to the dictionary but for "ISLAMOPHOBIA" I believe it tears is demanding enough to quench hell

There is no such thing as Islamophobia as the term relates to an irrational fear of Islam and Muslims.

As a non-Muslim I am supposed to be vigilant and very cautious of Muslims around me as their religion has already drawn and quartered me as an enemy to be butchered!

7 Likes

Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by respect80(m): 3:11pm On Jul 23, 2017
MagicBishop:

As a non-Muslim I am supposed to be vigilant and very cautious of Muslims around me as their religion has already drawn and quartered me as an enemy to be butchered!
That's what I'm saying dude. The Quran supports that

1 Like

Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by MagicBishop: 3:13pm On Jul 23, 2017
respect80:

That's what I'm saying dude. The Quran supports that

And that's where the "No True Scotsman" applies

5 Likes

Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by respect80(m): 3:17pm On Jul 23, 2017
MagicBishop:

And that's where the "No True Scotsman" applies

Exactly.
When you say Muslims they say true Muslims. Hence I said if the Quran is too hard to comprehend by its readers then it has to be REWRITTEN in a way that it's easily comprehensive.

4 Likes

Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by MagicBishop: 10:14pm On Jul 23, 2017
respect80:

Exactly.
When you say Muslims they say true Muslims. Hence I said if the Quran is too hard to comprehend by its readers then it has to be REWRITTEN in a way that it's easily comprehensive.

The Quaran is explicit on how a Muslim must conduct their lives and who their target enemies are.

This is the only religion that makes enemies of every other religion and non practitioner of its faith.

The reason why majority of sectarian militias are Muslims.

The only misunderstanding that arises among Muslims occurs because majority of Muslims are illiterate and are subject to mullah's for interpretation.

Believe me, if most Muslims even bothered to read up their Koran and hadiths and the history of how islam came to be a part of their culture they will quickly denounce islam. But islam has a prepeared solution to Muslim apostasy by decreeing it an act punishable by death.

The word "muslim" translates to the phrase "to submit". This is an act of compulsion on its own as submission is not an act of choice.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by OVI75(m): 10:25pm On Jul 23, 2017
There Is No Plague That Has Come On The World Than D Religion Of Piss....

No True Scotsman Indeed

8 Likes

Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by BlowBack: 5:51pm On Nov 30, 2017
Aribisala0, come and defend your islam in your usual way of attacking Christianity while claiming to be an atheist.

2 Likes

Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by LeOstrich: 8:24am On Mar 23, 2018
Lukgaf
Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by Lukgaf(m): 9:48am On Mar 23, 2018
I am coming for you guys
Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by ProjectNaija(m): 10:51pm On Mar 23, 2018
Lukgaf:
I am coming for you guys

The lies muslims tell us to whitewash Islam does not work anymore. The sunnah of your prophet which all good muslims

2 Likes

Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by plessis: 12:37am On Mar 24, 2018
Truism.

Everything, the murders, the genocide the fulanis are committing today are as directed by Islam.

The fulanis infiltrated the southwest using Islam and the southwest are very comfortable with whatever act that us carried out in the name of Islam.

Islam is the problem of nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by ZombieNation: 2:32pm On Oct 30, 2018
Sunni Muslims are justifying the cold blooded massacre of their fellow Shiite Muslims as a necessary action to stem in the bud the rise of another violent Islamic terrorist movement.

They have also tried to depict Shiites as demonic apostates with their lame attempt at memeing an obvious photoshopped pic of Shiite muslims performing ritual sacrifice of a ram as a satanic prayer against Buhari's health.

We saw first hand in Syria and Iraq how ISIS targeted Shiites and Yazidi muslims.

In Nigeria we are seeing how the Sunni demons are attacking Shiites as well since Buhari was contracted to open another front in a senseless sectarian conflict between Iran and Saudi Arabia (Israel).

Are Shiites not real muslims? And if yes, does that not confirm that Sunni Islam is an abhorrent and intolerant demonic religion that seeks to wipe out other forms of religions?

1 Like

Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by TheDevilIsALai: 9:23pm On Feb 03, 2020
MagicBishop:
The "No True Scotsman" is a kind of informal fallacy first coined by British philosopher Antony Flew which attempts to protect a universal generalization from counterexamples by changing the definition in an ad hoc fashion to exclude the counterexample.

Now the above example is typical of how your average Muslim apologists responds when confronted with the disturbing and alarming growing trend of global radical Islamism.

Rather than confront the fact that more and more Muslims are towing the line of violent radical Islamism as portrayed by groups like Boko Haram, more and more so-called moderate Muslims are making excuses for both the radical Islamist and the violent ideological doctrine they sourced from both the Quaran and from Islamic history as not being the true virtues to which Islam and Muslims must be held accountable to.

This isn't limited just to a class of Muslim Moderates but appears to be the official line of defense (for Islam and Muslims first) by highly placed authorities and clerics of Islam.

The "No True Scotsman" defense used by Muslims to deflect from the activities of violent radical Islamic groups is thus nothing but a fallacy used by Muslims to deny that their religious doctrine as can be discerned from the Quaran does NOT in any way justifies the activities of groups like Boko Haram. Thus, the commonly and widely circulated Taqiyya : " Boko Haram are not TRUE Muslims".

Bump
Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by efighter: 9:34pm On Feb 03, 2020
MagicBishop:

You can go to hell. I am a Muslim and I care not what miscreants like you think of me. However, anyone that kills for a religion deserves the death sentence. If those that you and I call idol worshippers do not go about killing people who do not accept their religion, then I wonder why so called worshippers of Almighty God will go about killing other people. It is not 100% their fault anyway, it is the fault of the government that has not sent them all to meet the so called god they are killing for. Useless cowards giving Islam a bad name.

1 Like

Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by TheDevilIsALai: 9:36pm On Feb 03, 2020
[s]
efighter:

You can go to hell. I am a Muslim and I care not what miscreants like you think of me. However, anyone that kills for a religion deserves the death sentence. If those that you and I call idol worshippers do not go about killing people who do not accept their religion, then I wonder why so called worshippers of Almighty God will go about killing other people. It is not 100% their fault anyway, it is the fault of the government that has not sent them all to meet the so called god they are killing for.
[/s]

You are really pained by this post.

Good

The truth is bitter.

Swallow it whole and let your anger vent.

Las las you go dey alrite
Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by efighter: 9:38pm On Feb 03, 2020
ZombieNation:
Sunni Muslims are justifying the cold blooded massacre of their fellow Shiite Muslims as a necessary action to stem in the bud the rise of another violent Islamic terrorist movement.

They have also tried to depict Shiites as demonic apostates with their lame attempt at memeing an obvious photoshopped pic of Shiite muslims performing ritual sacrifice of a ram as a satanic prayer against Buhari's health.

We saw first hand in Syria and Iraq how ISIS targeted Shiites and Yazidi muslims.

In Nigeria we are seeing how the Sunni demons are attacking Shiites as well since Buhari was contracted to open another front in a senseless sectarian conflict between Iran and Saudi Arabia (Israel).

Are Shiites not real muslims? And if yes, does that not confirm that Sunni Islam is an abhorrent and intolerant demonic religion that seeks to wipe out other forms of religions?

One so called group of Muslims killing another group of Muslims, can you all see that both groups are not worshipping our Father in Heaven? They are just two groups of misinformed heartless killers.
Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by efighter: 9:39pm On Feb 03, 2020
TheDevilIsALai:
[s][/s]

You are really pained by this post.

Good

The truth is bitter.

Swallow it whole and let your anger vent.

Las las you go dey alrite

Truth, from whom? From Church goers? You are a comedian
Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by Blue3k(m): 9:48pm On Feb 03, 2020
It's a really common logical fallacy. The forget religion is self identification mostly. Since its an ideology the only test is you believe it. Are u fake muslim if you sin? There's no universal islamic authority to decide who's a real muslim.
Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by TheDevilIsALai: 9:51pm On Feb 03, 2020
efighter:

Truth, from whom? From Church goers? You are a comedian
And I should believe you Yaribanza muslim ?

Even your fulani lords don't trust you hence the name Yaribanza aka Yoruba
Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by TheDevilIsALai: 9:52pm On Feb 03, 2020
Blue3k:
It's a really common logical fallacy. The forget religion is self identification mostly. Since its an ideology the only test is you believe it. Are u fake muslim if you sin? There's no universal islamic authority to decide who's a real muslim.

So even your Koran does not set the standard ?
Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by Blue3k(m): 9:56pm On Feb 03, 2020
TheDevilIsALai:

So even your Koran does not set the standard ?

It's not my koran. A muslim is someone who believes the tenants of islsm.
Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by TheDevilIsALai: 9:57pm On Feb 03, 2020
Blue3k:

It's not my koran. A muslim is someone who believes the tenants of islsm.

And these tenants fell from the sky?

Where are these tenets preserved?
Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by tartar9(m): 10:26pm On Feb 03, 2020
ZombieNation:
[s]Sunni Muslims are justifying the cold blooded massacre of their fellow Shiite Muslims as a necessary action to stem in the bud the rise of another violent Islamic terrorist movement.

Are Shiites not real muslims? And if yes, does that not confirm that Sunni Islam is an abhorrent and intolerant demonic religion that seeks to wipe out other forms of religions?[/s]
Whom are you referring to exactly?
The more than a billion Sunni's or some couple of thousands ISIS and co
Mr confusionist
Re: The "No True Scotsman" Defense Of Islam By Muslims by TheDevilIsALai: 11:12pm On Feb 03, 2020
tartar9:

Whom are you referring to exactly?
The more than a billion Sunni's or some couple of thousands ISIS and co
Mr confusionist

Last I checked those billion Muslims have done nothing to reign in their Boko brethren.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I’ll Complete 2nd Niger Bridge, Buhari Assures Southeast Leaders / Learn From My Mistake, Reach Out To OBJ- Jonathan Tells Atiku / Breaking: El Rufai C’ttee Recommends State Police, Prisons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.