Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,693 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:40 PM

Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. (2774 Views)

After Engine Washing, My Honda Baby Boy Is Not The Same Again / Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? / Why Does My Car Engine Oil Dry Up Without Physical Leakage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by captainking(m): 9:24pm On May 29, 2017
Good evening house.
OK... Last night.. My car got stuck in serious mud.. That even made my car bumper to pull off... Had to reverse really hard to get the car out.. After that.. I observed that the engine became dirty and mud clothed... So I decided to wash it... Also.. I discovered that.. When I reverse hard.. Like.. Hit the accelerator hard when reversing.. It makes a funny noise as it there is a plate in the gear.. I feel maybe it's the mud from last night... Cos it started after last night horrible experience.. So. I want advice oo.. Should I go ahead and wash the car engine... And will It stop the reverse gear from making that noise..??
Cc. Gazzuzz.. Kingreign.. Diportivo. AutoJoshNG... AutoJosh.... Nurey... Honmusa... And other car gurus.. Advice biko...

Thanks all..
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by nurey(m): 9:33pm On May 29, 2017
Someone has had this same issue as you have, unfortunately he too had to Rev hard to get himself unstuck. Yeah it's a camry pencil.

First off washing car engine with water is tricky as you know engine and water don't go together. What I normally do if I have mud in my engine bay is to clean the ones closest to the top (very tough task foam and petrol not water) and then look for pool of water grin, 4 splash drives cleans the underbody. But in your case you can use diesel.

As for the gear, physical inspection is needed you don stress the guy too much, but clean first, if sound persist after 2 days, consult your doctor
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by captainking(m): 9:43pm On May 29, 2017
nurey:
Someone has had this same issue as you have, unfortunately he too had to Rev hard to get himself unstuck. Yeah it's a camry pencil.

First off washing car engine with water is tricky as you know engine and water don't go together. What I normally do if I have mud in my engine bay is to clean the ones closest to the top (very tough task foam and petrol not water) and then look for pool of water grin, 4 splash drives cleans the underbody. But in your case you can use diesel.

As for the gear, physical inspection is needed you don stress the guy too much, but clean first, if sound persist after 2 days, consult your doctor
hahahhahahaha haha.. Ur sense o d humour never fades nurey... Thanks buddie..

1 Like

Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:32am On May 30, 2017
sounds like a damaged engine mount. Wash engine with engine running and A.c on then rock engine forward and backward with somone looking at the engine for excessive movements. Or as my oga put it consult ya dr.

1 Like

Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by erico2k2(m): 12:42am On May 30, 2017
Me I dey fear wash Engine,I have never washed my Engines in 6 years both in the UK or 9ja, I no wan hear super story grin grin,if push comes to shove, I will pull out top panels and was clean with wet rag areas I can reach chikinaaa cool cool

1 Like

Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by diportivo: 6:35am On May 30, 2017
the red typing oga has given clues on what to check about the gear.i dont see how dipping the engine inside hypo will eliminate that sound....i myt be wrong tho

but,important ones first...check the mounts as suggested

don't steamwash engine o

I repeat

don't steam wash engine

I don't av money to contribute when wahala start...u know mmm hasn't paid me yet grin

see my own engine.... and the heavens haven't fallen yet tongue

Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by oblo(m): 10:03am On May 30, 2017
But wait o.. If engines were not meant to get dirty in the first place oyinbo for dey seal all engines from factory na.. Abi na only for naija we get dirty "potopoto" roads ni?

Ehen @ Op as per that mud the one wen your hand reach do if not drive by splashes from a pool of water like Dipo said should do the trick. To remove that mud would take a whole lot of liquid to get it off but also getting in the wrong crevices. Bottom line.. Leave washing your engine for now and let a certified tech check that sound. Funny enuf we are still in the rainy season so what's the likelihood you would not enter that same mud again grin #okbye#
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by captainking(m): 6:21pm On May 30, 2017
diportivo:
the red typing oga has given clues on what to check about the gear.i dont see how dipping the engine inside hypo will eliminate that sound....i myt be wrong tho

don't steamwash engine o

I repeat

don't steam wash engine

I don't av money to contribute when wahala start...u know mmm hasn't paid me yet grin

kia.. Oga diportivo... I hail oo...I will boss.. Thou. The engine does not vibrate... Just that gear sound.. Thanks boss
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by captainking(m): 6:22pm On May 30, 2017
oblo:
But wait o.. If engines were not meant to get dirty in the first place oyinbo for dey seal all engines from factory na.. Abi na only for naija we get dirty "potopoto" roads ni?

Ehen @ Op as per that mud the one wen your hand reach do if not drive by splashes from a pool of water like Dipo said should do the trick. To remove that mud would take a whole lot of liquid to get it off but also getting in the wrong crevices. Bottom line.. Leave washing your engine for now and let a certified tech check that sound. Funny enuf we are still in the rainy season so what's the likelihood you would not enter that same mud again grin #okbye#
Thanks a lot.. Would put that into thought..
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by captainking(m): 6:24pm On May 30, 2017
erico2k2:
Me I dey fear wash Engine,I have never washed my Engines in 6 years both in the UK or 9ja, I no wan hear super story grin grin,if push comes to shove, I will pull out top panels and was clean with wet rag areas I can reach chikinaaa cool cool
abi. U are right thou.. But.. Mud Don cover many part of the engine oo.. The fans.. Radiator.. Compressor side.. Ehh.. Make I pull clothe and do the needful

1 Like

Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by captainking(m): 6:26pm On May 30, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
sounds like a damaged engine mount. Wash engine with engine running and A.c on then rock engine forward and backward with somone looking at the engine for excessive movements. Or as my oga put it consult ya dr.
Thanks red boss... Am thinking of the doctor to call.. Ermm.. Oga Gazzuzz... I heard u are one of the best surgeons available.. Come and do the operation..
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:52pm On May 30, 2017
captainking:
Thanks red boss... Am thinking of the doctor to call.. Ermm.. Oga Gazzuzz... I heard u are one of the best surgeons available.. Come and do the operation..

Vehicle, engine, under body will be washed before taking it into the workshop. We don't like soiling ourselves/workshop. When you are ready, call and book an appointment.

1 Like

Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by captainking(m): 8:52pm On May 30, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Vehicle, engine, under body will be washed before taking it into the workshop. We don't like soiling ourselves/workshop. When you are ready, call and book an appointment.

Agreed boss.. That means.. Would have to wash the engine..
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:26pm On May 30, 2017
captainking:
Agreed boss.. That means.. Would have to wash the engine..
You can wash before bringing it, ore we can charge you a fee to get it done.
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by captainking(m): 10:52pm On May 30, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
You can wash before bringing it, ore we can charge you a fee to get it done.
Oga boss.. Let me call Nigeria armed forces to do parade for you... Popopopooo
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by Nobody: 11:37pm On May 30, 2017
Engine washing is not a taboo. I've never had problems washing my engine, I like my engine bay clean so I can see wherever there's a leakage. I don't know why some people are making it look like such a bid deal.
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by diportivo: 6:51am On May 31, 2017
greenhulk:
Engine washing is not a taboo. I've never had problems washing my engine, I like my engine bay clean so I can see wherever there's a leakage. I don't know why some people are making it look like such a bid deal.

the main issue is non professional steam washers....who will chook the steam gun into unholy places and cause katakata

gazzuzz has asked to do it for him....that one na pro and nobody here has said he shldnt go that route

If na roadside he wan go,my prayers are with him
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by ogawisdom(m): 7:49am On May 31, 2017
Steam wash engine during harmattan n pray everything goes fine, it almost always does
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:08am On May 31, 2017
ogawisdom:
Steam wash engine during harmattan n pray everything goes fine, it almost always does

Where have you been? shocked
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by ogawisdom(m): 11:12am On May 31, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Where have you been? shocked

Oga mi I dey ooo, been away for sometime nw
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by Dereformer(m): 12:25pm On May 31, 2017
diportivo:

don't steamwash engine o

I repeat

don't steam wash engine

What is steam washing?
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by Nobody: 12:30pm On May 31, 2017
diportivo:

the main issue is non professional steam washers....who will chook the steam gun into unholy places and cause katakata

gazzuzz has asked to do it for him....that one na pro and nobody here has said he shldnt go that route

If na roadside he wan go,my prayers are with him

I get it. I don't wash my engine that often, maybe once or twice a year depending on its condition. I've never had problems, maybe because the car wash I use know their onions very well. I can't just take my car to some random person to wash the engine.

Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:54pm On May 31, 2017
greenhulk:

I get it. I don't wash my engine that often, maybe once or twice a year depending on its condition. I've never had problems, maybe because the car wash I use know their onions very well. I can't just take my car to some random person to wash the engine.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5416100_img20170531122321_jpegd9b4fa49e5f154e45f0267180fc055e3

What are you washing there when plastic has covered everything for you tongue
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by Kjnwancaro: 12:49am On Jun 01, 2017
Same thing just happened to me this night, I haven't had time to check the hood to see how bad it is after spending close to two hours reversing.
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by diportivo: 6:37am On Jun 01, 2017
Kjnwancaro:
Same thing just happened to me this night, I haven't had time to check the hood to see how bad it is after spending close to two hours reversing.

2 hours reversing?

y'all need SUVs mehn grin
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by Nobody: 8:49am On Jun 01, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5416100_img20170531122321_jpegd9b4fa49e5f154e45f0267180fc055e3

What are you washing there when plastic has covered everything for you tongue

Chief Gazzuz, maybe that's the reason I don't get afraid to get my engine washed.. lots of plastics lol.
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by Kjnwancaro: 5:03pm On Jun 01, 2017
diportivo:

2 hours reversing?

y'all need SUVs mehn grin

I am only 5"8 with slender body. Isn't that coat a little too big for me boss undecided
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by diportivo: 6:16pm On Jun 01, 2017
Kjnwancaro:

I am only 5"8 with slender body. Isn't that coat a little too big for me boss undecided

ford escape comes to mind

Nissan xtrail

Honda crv

etc

it ain't big bro
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jun 01, 2017
Dereformer:

What is steam washing?

Jack up your motor at least 2 feet high, gather some firewood, buy some carrots, cabbage,cucumber,mix with palm oil add some salt,periwinkle,agbo and nchuanwu leafs,put all in a pot stir, light up the fireword with some drop of diesel,and fuel,put on the pot and bring all to boil, then cover your engine with thick blanket and steam for 7days. That's Steam Washing
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by aAK1(m): 8:02am On Jun 02, 2017
diportivo:

don't steamwash engine o

I repeat

don't steam wash engine

heaven is actually falling gradually on ur car. one thing you dont know is that mud and all that debrie are eating corroding your engine bay. you will have serious issue with rust later
Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by diportivo: 8:10am On Jun 02, 2017
indigene:

Jack up your motor at least 2 feet high, gather some firewood, buy some carrots, cabbage,cucumber,mix with palm oil add some salt,periwinkle,agbo and nchuanwu leafs,put all in a pot stir, light up the fireword with some drop of diesel,and fuel,put on the pot and bring all to boil, then cover your engine with thick blanket and steam for 7days. That's Steam Washing

Re: Things To Know Before Washing My Car Engine. by diportivo: 8:12am On Jun 02, 2017
aAK1:
heaven is actually falling gradually on ur car. one thing you dont know is that mud and all that debrie are eating corroding your engine bay. you will have serious issue with rust later

if I don't have rust issue on time as u av predicted,come and add Nacl urself so that corrosion can start tongue

just see the humorous side and move on bro wink

(1) (Reply)

Best Engine Oil For Mitsubishi Carisma / How Come Everyone Is selling their Infiniti FX35 So Cheap / What Car Can I Get For 400k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.