Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,083 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:20 PM

Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat (11122 Views)

A’Ibom Senatorial Rerun: “APC Still in the Race”, Akpabio Insists / FG's Lawyers ‘clash’ During Onnoghen’s Trial / Dino Melaye: Lawyers Clash With Policemen In Court Premises (Photos, VIDEO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by Islie: 7:54am On May 31, 2017
Leke Baiyewu, Abuja

Two groups of lawyers stormed the National Assembly on Tuesday to make counterclaims on the rightful occupant of the Akwa Ibom North- East senatorial district seat in the upper chamber of the National Assembly.

Some lawyers under the aegis of the Coalition of Concerned Lawyers on the Akwa Ibom State North- East Senatorial District said the current occupant of the seat, Senator Bassey Akpan , had appealed his sacking by a court and should remain in office.

Those under the umbrellas of the Alliance of Human Rights Lawyers and Civil Society for Sustainable Rule of Law in Nigeria, however, asked the President of the Senate, Bukola Saraki, to swear- in the contender for the senatorial seat, Bassey Etim, as ordered by the court.

The Federal High Court sitting in Uyo had on February 27, 2017, sacked Akpan and ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission to issue a Certificate of Return to Etim as the candidate produced by the Peoples Democratic Party's senatorial primary in Akwa Ibom North-East.

INEC had issued a fresh Certificate of Return to Etim on March 6, 2017, but he had yet to be inaugurated as a member of the Senate.

At the National Assembly on Tuesday, Mr. Charles Omang , who led 19 other members of the Coalition of Concerned Lawyers , insisted that Etim should not be sworn - in as the senator representing the district.

Omang, who read a communiqué signed by 20 lawyers to journalists , stated that the status quo be maintained as the ruling by the court had been appealed while citing Section 143 of the Electoral Act as allowing Akpan to remain in office.

The communiqué read in part, “ We, the members of the Coalition of Concerned Lawyers , have followed recent events in the Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in respect to the Akwa Ibom North- East senatorial seat, and hereby state as follows:
“ That we read with great consternation the letter purportedly written by the Attorney - General of the Federation and Minister of Justice (Abubakar Malami, SAN), urging the Senate President to swear - in Bassey Etim when there are a valid appeal and a pending motion for stay of execution to be heard on the 12th and 14th of June 2017 by the Court of Appeal , Calabar Division. ”

But the Alliance of Human Rights Lawyers and Civil Society for Sustainable Rule of Law in Nigeria, at a press conference , opposed the first group of lawyers.

“ We appreciate the propaganda and innuendo canvassed by some people loyal to the ‘former' Senator Bassey Albert regarding the issues that led to the judgment . But one must understand that the appeal court will still look into all the issues submitted before it for its decision, ” they said.

http://punchng.com/drama-as-lawyers-clash-over-aibom-senatorial-seat/

lalasticlala
Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 7:55am On May 31, 2017
Buhari in his graveyard is still causing commotion in Akwa ibom cry

4 Likes

Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by oshe11: 7:56am On May 31, 2017
CROWNWEALTH019:

Nigga jst booked space without writing anytin grin

This is Fraud, Lala delete the post n CROWN me my WEALTH grin

AND THE NIGGA SAID NAIJA IS CORRUPT.......

5 Likes

Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 7:57am On May 31, 2017
oshe11:
k
You no like K-leg tongue

1 Like

Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by Nobody: 7:58am On May 31, 2017
Interesting...
Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by oshe11: 7:58am On May 31, 2017
CROWNWEALTH019:
You no like K-leg tongue
hahhahahaaha

I go sue U for fraud

1 Like

Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by bro4u: 7:58am On May 31, 2017
lolz... If they didnt use gun that means na play dem dey play....Nonsense
Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by Nobody: 7:58am On May 31, 2017
This country don tire me. grin
Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by emeijeh(m): 7:59am On May 31, 2017
Clash of the Titans lawyers

Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by smartty68(m): 7:59am On May 31, 2017
Let them ki themselves if they like....

E no consigns me....

Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by AZUH: 7:59am On May 31, 2017
Who will vote for Buhari in 2019 ?

1 Like

Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by crazyABO(m): 8:00am On May 31, 2017
Even the judiciary n legislative arm are bleeped up wah do u expect from d daft executives Naija weak me I swear undecided
Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by Nobody: 8:00am On May 31, 2017
Useless people.. Self centered
Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by brunofarad(m): 8:00am On May 31, 2017
Good morning Nigeria

Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by ANIEXTY(m): 8:01am On May 31, 2017
If i become the president of Nigeria, first thing i will do is to cut the salary of all political offices, and pay them like normal workers......i think that would reduce the rate at which people fight and kill for political office positions

My one cent !

3 Likes

Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by ipobarecriminals: 8:03am On May 31, 2017
sad grin thieves sad sad grin.Shebi nah to go there to throw chairs, jump gate,inflate contract and other evil . useless people
Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by tukdi: 8:03am On May 31, 2017
grin
Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by Evablizin(f): 8:03am On May 31, 2017
Una never start more clash please
Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by jeeqaa7(m): 8:03am On May 31, 2017
Ok
Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by hobermener: 8:04am On May 31, 2017
T
Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by Sharon6(f): 8:05am On May 31, 2017
Na war o.

GIVE YOUR SKIN A TREAT, CHECK MY SIGNATURE!
Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by UgoFly: 8:07am On May 31, 2017
m
Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by toxxnoni(m): 8:07am On May 31, 2017
A beautiful 31st of may 2017

We might be what you are looking for
Check out our signature in green colour down
Thanks
Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by mooregan(m): 8:10am On May 31, 2017
Let Bafil (Bassey Etim) go and sleep Jor. Obong Bassey Albert is who we want.

1 Like

Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by Blue3k(m): 8:15am On May 31, 2017
No video of these old dopes duking it out. Lol that would have been real laugh.
Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by kizygist: 8:21am On May 31, 2017
Lol I just can't stop laughing over here
Re: Drama As Lawyers Clash Over A’ibom Senatorial Seat by ijustdey: 8:22am On May 31, 2017
lawyers being fighting like politicians

birds of a feather

(1) (2) (Reply)

You Are Responsible For A’ibom Assembly Crises, Akpabio Hits Back At Udom / Democracy In Nigeria - Chatham House / FG To Purchase 2 Additional Satellites For Nigcomsat At $550m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.