Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,971 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria (2629 Views)

Is It Safe To Visit Nigeria During This Pandemic? / Abike Dabiri-Erewa: Chinese Don’t Want Africans In China / Begging Attitude: White Man Married To Nigerian Lady Vows Never To Visit Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by AjalaJ(m): 11:34am On Jun 01, 2017
What are some reasons that you, personally, would not want to visit or live in the Nigeria?

Nigeria seems to be one of the most misconstrued countries with so much bad press. And many choose to see only what they have been programmed to see by the media. Having lived and traveled to over 20 countries across the world, I can confidently say most people will be pleasantly surprised about Nigeria if they ever choose to visit.

Let me address those specific topics that would likely want to keep people from living or visiting Nigeria:

Boko Haram: The media makes it sound like the BH guys have their flags hoisted on every Street corner in the country. I have traveled pretty much to most states in Nigeria, including the northern states and I have never once been remotely close to any BH insurgency. Their activities ‘were’ limited to a few local governments and have now been drastically reduced further.

Security: I have walked the streets of Sao Paolo, Bucharest, Johannesburg, Delhi with as much trepidation as I would when walking in certain places in Lagos. If that makes you think ‘but I can visit those places’ then Nigeria should not be a concern. If you observe the basic security rules like in any of those cities, then you will be fine. I visited with a former CEO (Swiss) of a multinational in Nigeria who lived there for more than 20 years (and even opted to get the Nigerian passport) and I was glad but not surprised when he told be for the 20 years, he was never robbed and never fell sick.

Which brings me to the 3rd point
Diseases and sickness: If you still think we are walking about with scabs on our skin and diseases floating around in the air, then you need to start watching a different TV channel. I am in no way suggesting that Nigeria is rid of key tropical diseases like malaria but take your shots before visiting the country and you will be fine. I doubt Nigeria will be the 1st country you will be visiting and taking some shots prior to the visit.

Corruption: Please spare me this! I have seen corruption in pretty much all the countries I have visited. While I do not and will never condone corruption in any form, I beg to disagree that this will stop you from visiting the country. It's a menace in the country and I'm glad we finally have a leader who is making some efforts to curtail it. I have seen lawlessness at varying shades and sizes across the world and what makes countries like Singapore and Switzerland different is that they have rules and policies that check this… underneath, we are all the same! Global MNCs have found ways to work and uphold their integrity in the country so if you gave in to corrupt practices and blame the country for it, you are as much a part of it!

People only ever talk about the negatives but what of the fun loving, energetic Nigerians you will meet? What of the highly contagious entrepreneurial spirit you will find? What of the resilence the people have built over time? What of the way we are navigating our young years as a nation and building a future for ourselves? What of our burgeoning entertainment industry taking the world by shock? What of the bright minds we have exported all over the world? What of our amazing plate of Jollof rice?

Summarily, Nigeria is a beautiful country with different shades of experience. Your conviction about Nigeria will change not when you arrive in the country but when you board the flight and see the number of non-Nigerians flying in. You then ask yourself what they all are visiting for if it's all dooms day as popularly hinted!

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-reasons-that-you-personally-would-not-want-to-visit-or-live-in-the-Nigeria

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller: www..com.ng

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by Gmasterp(m): 11:38am On Jun 01, 2017
Nice opinion..

Nigeria is one of the most beautiful and endowed country in the world..

Millions of natural resources..

Diverse and amazing people...

Too bad we keep having block heads as leaders cry

Wouldn't really blame anyone for not wanting to see the country...
Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by Nobody: 11:44am On Jun 01, 2017
I can never visit Nigeria laye laye ....

because I have never been out of Nigeria ...

2 Likes

Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by christejames(m): 1:14pm On Jun 01, 2017
Those at the helm of affairs of the country are doing little or nothing to promote the potentials of the country. Even most Nigerians are ignorant of certain places in the country how then do you want a foreigner who hasn't stepped their foot in the country be convinced that opportunities abound herein...
the media itself is not helping matter!

Seun, Lalasticlala, can we also have your contributions. thanks!

1 Like

Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by BizLifeE: 4:06pm On Jun 01, 2017
The foreign media is portraying Nigeria in a bad light. I'm not happy.

2 Likes

Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by doubletroublmum(f): 7:13pm On Jun 01, 2017
Nigeria is great, no question...

But what makes tourism difficult is lack of goods transportation. In Europe you can be sure your bus arrives the right time, regularly. In Nigeria you can only pray for this.

Also kidnapping of white people is a big topic here in the news, it scares people away from Nigeria.

... Not to talk of nepa...

2 Likes

Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by Nobody: 12:25am On Jun 02, 2017
Nigeria is a lovely country but media is wrecking havoc to our tourism industry, even the average Nigerian is not patriotic enough to project the true good things about this country. There's a lot to enjoy in this land of constant sunshine smiley

3 Likes

Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by Nobody: 12:28am On Jun 02, 2017
doubletroublmum:

But what makes tourism difficult is lack of goods transportation. In Europe you can be sure your bus arrives the right time, regularly. In Nigeria you can only pray for this.

Also kidnapping of white people is a big topic here in the news, it scares people away from Nigeria.

Madam, the OP didn't say you should compare and contrast, rather he exposed the media for projecting Nigeria negatively to the world which you ended up doing.

OP if a foreigner should read a post like this don't you think he or she might be hesitant to visit. These are the real culprits who project this country negatively, the average citizen is unpatriotic
Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by seunny4lif(m): 2:30am On Jun 02, 2017
FP Lala grin grin
No snake this time around grin grin
Now back to the topic
I have be robbed in San Paulo before and almost in Paris.
US is far more corrupt than Nigeria but they don't make it obvious like Nigerians.
Chicago has more death rate more than any city in the world.
MSM media is the problem.
Nigeria government need a very strong Media too.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by seunny4lif(m): 2:40am On Jun 02, 2017
BizLifeE:
The foreign media is portraying Nigeria in a bad light. I'm not happy.
Just like the way their were paid to paint Russia and China bad.
We need station that is strong like RT or CCTV at least to make us look great from Media.
CNN,BBC and AJ are losing it now cos Russia has it own RT and China own CCTV.
Making people for find out infomation in thier own not what CNN or BBC or AJ.
You need to visit France or Italy, those countries just have good electricity and roads that all.
Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by seunny4lif(m): 2:46am On Jun 02, 2017
doubletroublmum:

Like they don't kidnap also in S/America side.
Colombia and Peru are worst more than Nigeria but millions of people visit those countries every year.
Why?
Media.
Mexico ko?

2 Likes

Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by seunny4lif(m): 10:48am On Jun 02, 2017
Our Mod sometimes are crazy.
Something like this needs FP.
Nigeria is in our hand.

1 Like

Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jun 02, 2017
Pidgin2:
Nigeria is a lovely country but media is wrecking havoc to our tourism industry, even the average Nigerian is not patriotic enough to project the true good things about this country. There's a lot to enjoy in this land of constant sunshine smiley

forget all this story,
If the media is painting you black, they you have start showing them the good things about your country.

provide.
247 power supply,
Improve our transportation system
Quality Education
Good Roads
Security
Jobs

Why would I leave my country if we have all these?

Nigeria has the money to provide these things. so lets stop playing the victim card and start doing the right thing

2 Likes

Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jun 02, 2017
Ezechinwa:

forget all this story,
If the media is painting you black, they you have start showing them the good things about your country.

provide.
247 power supply,
Improve our transportation system
Quality Education
Good Roads
Security
Jobs

Why would I leave my country if we have all these?

Nigeria has the money to provide these things. so lets stop playing the victim card and start doing the right thing

Get lost, if I call you enemy of progress now you will refuse it but that is the best description for you and your likes

If you don't have good roads, schools and security in your area, hold your state governor accountable. He was given state allocation to do these things so what has he done with the funds?

2 Likes

Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jun 02, 2017
Pidgin2:

Get lost, if I call you enemy of progress now you will refuse it but that is the best description for you and your likes

enemy of progress?
How? so you mean Nigerians dont deserve these things right?
Are you not ashamed that when your leaders are sick they travel to UK for treatments?
Are you not ashamed that in this modern time people don't have access to Good roads, Education and Security?

'If the media paints our police as corrupt entites, when you and I know that 99% of Nigerian police collect bribe, would you go about defending them?

I am a Nigerian, but am not a mediocre, I detest the fact that we all run to the white mans land for everything, when we can make our land better, I care less what the media say, but as I say, Nigeria is an oil producing nation, we have the money to provide these things for her citizens if only we let go of Corruption

If your trying to get media sympathy or portry Nigeria as an wrongly tagged country, then your wasting your time.

because, the truth we cannot hide is.
More than 60% of Nigerians are tribalist
We promote nepotism
we are corrupt
We try to gain media attention

while waiting for media to correct their imprrssion,
We need to provide
247 power supply
Good road Network
Quality Education ( no strike)
Quality health care
More Jobs

when you have that in place, the media will change their view.

If you love being average, then that's your problem

2 Likes

Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jun 02, 2017
Ezechinwa:

enemy of progress?
How? so you mean Nigerians dont deserve these things right?
Are you not ashamed that when your leaders are sick they travel to UK for treatments?
Are you not ashamed that in this modern time people don't have access to Good roads, Education and Security?

'If the media paints our police as corrupt entites, when you and I know that 99% of Nigerian police collect bribe, would you go about defending them?

I am a Nigerian, but am not a mediocre, I detest the fact that we all run to the white mans land for everything, when we can make our land better, I care less what the media say, but as I say, Nigeria is an oil producing nation, we have the money to provide these things for her citizens if only we let go of Corruption

If your trying to get media sympathy or portry Nigeria as an wrongly tagged country, then your wasting your time.

because, the truth we cannot hide is.
More than 60% of Nigerians are tribalist
We promote nepotism
we are corrupt
We try to gain media attention

while waiting for media to correct their imprrssion,
We need to provide
247 power supply
Good road Network
Quality Education ( no strike)
Quality health care
More Jobs

when you have that in place, the media will change their view.

If you love being average, then that's your problem

Why do you have to come here and spoil this lovely thread, what's wrong with your reasoning?

Did you read the topic? WTH why not post this comment on your state governor's Twitter page instead of spewing this all over this place.

The OP stated that the media has not been fair on us, are you saying the media has been fair in its reportage? Why not stick to the topic.

I have a few questions for you:

When was the last was there a general strike in all our tertiary institutions and how long did it last

How do our doctors, engineers and other professionals who graduate from Nigerian institution secure jobs abroad and how are they able to seek higher knowledge there if our education is so bad as you shamefully described, how come our lecturers go on sabbaticals to good schools abroad

Why should I be ashamed abut Buhari's decision to seek western medical treatment abroad? The type of treatment he is a seeking is western in origin, if he decided to use alternative medicine like acupuncture we all know that China is best at this and if by any chance he opted for African traditional treatment then we know that Nigeria is well known for this too

Some whites think you and I are monkeys and their media hasn't helped to stop them thinking this way. When some hear 'Africa' all they perceive is poverty, starvation, hunger and war

Stop posting nonsense and let the OPs point be seen by all

2 Likes

Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by justwise(m): 1:26pm On Jun 02, 2017
Some Nigerians are so hypocritical, how can you blame foreign media?
Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by seunny4lif(m): 1:38pm On Jun 02, 2017
justwise:
Some Nigerians are so hypocritical, how can you blame foreign media?
Just like foreign media only show the good part of US and UK.
I thought you said you have travel around the world undecided undecided
MSM sometimes contribute more to a country imagine on world stage just like MSM will never show Chicago on TV
Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jun 02, 2017
Pidgin2:

Why do you have to come here and spoil this lovely thread, what's wrong with your reasoning?

Did you read the topic? WTH why not post this comment on your state governor's Twitter page instead of spewing this all over this place.

The OP stated that the media has not been fair on us, are you saying the media has been fair in its reportage? Why not stick to the topic.

When was the last was there a general strike in all our tertiary institutions and how long did it last

How do our doctors, engineers and other professionals who graduate from Nigerian institution secure jobs abroad and how are they able to seek higher knowledge there if our education is so bad as you shamefully described, how come our lecturers go on sabbaticals to good schools abroad

Why should I be ashamed abut Buhari's decision to seek western medical treatment abroad? The type of treatment he is a seeking is western in origin, if he decided to use alternative medicine like acupuncture we all know that China is best at this and if by any chance he opted for African traditional treatment then we know that Nigeria is well known for this too

Some whites think you and I are monkeys and their media hasn't helped to stop them thinking this way. When some hear 'Africa' all they perceive is poverty, starvation, hunger and war

Is it that you cannot read or comprehend?'
did I abuse anyone?
You want the media to praise us right? is it out of place to have these basic amenities?

If Buhari goes to UK for treatment, it shows he lacks trust on our doctors.

Nigerians queue to Travel to Canada, USA, how many of thrm queue to travel to Nigeria?

you must be a social media freak who loves attention and praise.

but as I said earlier, If Nigeria provides this basic amenities to it citizens, the whites would love to come here. instead of seeking media attention, let's do the right thing, others will fall in place.

The whites see us as MONKEYS, who care, it hurts more when I see my fellow Nigerians hating each other,

On Nairaland we have Afonjas, Flat head, etc...
Yorubas and Igbos fight each other, it that not worst than racism.

Nigeria is a beautiful nation, rich, but people living in it are poor, 75% of Nigerians are underpaid or unemployed,
Salaries are yet to be paid
Looting still go on.

solve your problem first.

If it means swapping 30% of oil for knowledge and technology, then that's good.

5 Likes

Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 02, 2017
Ezechinwa:

Is it that you cannot read or comprehend?'
did I abuse anyone?
You want the media to praise us right? is it out of place to have these basic amenities?

If Buhari goes to UK for treatment, it shows he lacks trust on our doctors.

Nigerians queue to Travel to Canada, USA, how many of thrm queue to travel to Nigeria?

you must be a social media freak who loves attention and praise.

but as I said earlier, If Nigeria provides this basic amenities to it citizens, the whites would love to come here. instead of seeking media attention, let's do the right thing, others will fall in place.

The whites see us as MONKEYS, who care, it hurts more when I see my fellow Nigerians hating each other,

On Nairaland we have Afonjas, Flat head, etc...
Yorubas and Igbos fight each other, it that not worst than racism.

He's not saying the media must praise us all the time but even if a child is bad and one keeps being harsh with him or her will it help or worsen the situation?

What he's saying is that the western media tends to magnify negativity especially as concerns Nigeria/Africa, is this true or false?

How can you say tribalism hurts more than racism? If I don't tell you my tribe you will not know so I can actually pose as coming from your tribe (worst case scenario) but can you pretend that you are a white person? Therefore, if you go to a place like Russia or Macedonia, you will stick out like a sore thumb and you will experience what it is to feels like an alien.

No place is 99.9% bad and if we both agree to this then at least some good things about Nigeria/Africa should be told by the media. This is what the OP is saying in summary

3 Likes

Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jun 02, 2017
Pidgin2:

He's not saying the media must praise us all the time but even if a child is bad and one keeps being harsh with him or her will it help or worsen the situation?

What he's saying is that the western media tends to magnify negativity especially as concerns Nigeria/Africa, is this true or false?

How can you say tribalism hurts more than racism? If I don't tell you my tribe you will not know so I can actually pose as coming from your tribe (worst case scenario) but can you pretend that you are a white person? Therefore, if you go to a place like Russia or Macedonia, you will stick out like a sore thumb and you will experience what it is to feels like an alien.

No place is 99.9% bad and if we both agree to this then at least some good things about Nigeria/Africa should be told by the media. This is what the OP is saying in summary

the vision I have for Nigeria is to be the greatest country and to also aspire to be amongst the world power nations.
I crave to see this happen in my lifetime, thats why I always wish for the best.
Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by justwise(m): 3:56pm On Jun 02, 2017
seunny4lif:

Just like foreign media only show the good part of US and UK.
I thought you said you have travel around the world undecided undecided
MSM sometimes contribute more to a country imagine on world stage just like MSM will never show Chicago on TV

When did I say that?
Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by seunny4lif(m): 3:59pm On Jun 02, 2017
justwise:

When did I say that?
Everybody knows justwise grin grin
Baba on travel section grin grin
Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by ATERI(m): 11:12pm On Jun 02, 2017
All other countries are better than Nigeria and worth visiting partly because they don`t have NAIRALAND
Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by goodieuzo: 8:41am On Jun 03, 2017
so many things need to be in place like cheap hostels,some attractions,cheap coworking places etc
Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by saintandsinnerz: 9:18am On Jun 03, 2017
AjalaJ:
What are some reasons that you, personally, would not want to visit or live in the Nigeria?
Summarily, Nigeria is a beautiful country with different shades of experience. Your conviction about Nigeria will change not when you arrive in the country but when you board the flight and see the number of non-Nigerians flying in. You then ask yourself what they all are visiting for if it's all dooms day as popularly hinted!

Source: https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-reasons-that-you-personally-would-not-want-to-visit-or-live-in-the-Nigeria

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller: www..com.ng
Stop deceiving yoursself, Nigeria is a shithole.
Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by saintandsinnerz: 9:26am On Jun 03, 2017
Pidgin2:

You should be ashamed of yourself for posting this nonsense... WTF!
Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by acorntree(m): 11:09am On Jun 03, 2017
saintandsinnerz:

You should be ashamed of yourself for posting this nonsense... WTF!

The girl is a troll. I wonder why someone with common sense still bother replying her. She always make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from people. Once I see her post on Nairaland , I always passby.

1 Like

Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by larrygal(f): 12:26pm On Jun 03, 2017
acorntree:

The girl is a troll. I wonder why someone with common sense still bother replying her. She always make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from people. Once I see her post on Nairaland , I always passby.
Lol , she s being patriotic.. Immediately I saw the topic I knew she must have attack someone..
Sooooooo fake , we know her type ..
We all love Nigeria and we all want her to be great.
Her argument is most time baseless so it is better to leave her wit her wahala

1 Like

Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by saintandsinnerz: 4:02pm On Jun 03, 2017
acorntree:

Thanks bro, I have been noticing her senseless post in the travel section but I never knew she is this bad. Never knew she was a troll, I will try and avoid her from now.

1 Like

Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by Mofpearl: 4:55pm On Jun 03, 2017
I think security is still a big issue.
Re: Why Foreigners Don’t Want To Visit Nigeria by Nobody: 1:05am On Jun 04, 2017
So saying facts now makes me a troll, I should be ashamed of myself because a man of 80 plus decided to seek medical treatment abroad, how does this affect me personally and does this in anyway have anything to do with the OPs topic?

Some ignoramus individuals will never learn even in the US, crime is prevalent :watch Crime and investigation or simply update yourselves by going through their news and yet the media still promotes the good things there for all to see, but the minute Nigeria is mentioned on any thread some simpletons will list everything bad about the country even when it isn't relevant to the topic at hand

Do well to avoid responding to my posts next time because I will always take pride in this country no matter the insults and name calling I get in the process

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

University of Iceland. How to go about it. / Hotel Booking In Pretoria Without Payment How Can I Get It Done Or Booked / Euphrates River And Mountain Of Gold

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.