Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,717 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:51 PM

IT Department In Bank : What Is The Best Career Path ? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / IT Department In Bank : What Is The Best Career Path ? (1438 Views)

More Absurdity In Uch : See The Lifetime Head Of Department In Uch (photo) / Best Career Advice Ever / Technology Department In Bank/oil Exploration Co Or IT Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

IT Department In Bank : What Is The Best Career Path ? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jun 02, 2017
Good day,

I want experienced and not so experienced people to succintly explain to me the career propects for a banker working in the IT unit .

To put it in perspective, a typical Nigerian bank has its IT department comprised of such sub units as

-Database management
-Networks
-Project Governance
-System Support
-ATM and cards unit
-Alternative delivery channels
-Web/POS unit
-Application support to mention but a few.

Which of these units is best to work?
What are the prospects of the other subunits regarding crossing over to other banks or vendors like NCR etc
Re: IT Department In Bank : What Is The Best Career Path ? by engrrichie92(m): 5:48am On Jun 03, 2017
Guitarlife:
Good day,

I want experienced and not so experienced people to succintly explain to me the career propects for a banker working in the IT unit .

To put it in perspective, a typical Nigerian bank has its IT department comprised of such sub units as

-Database management
-Networks
-Project Governance
-System Support
-ATM and cards unit
-Alternative delivery channels
-Web/POS unit
-Application support to mention but a few.

Which of these units is best to work?
What are the prospects of the other subunits regarding crossing over to other banks or vendors like NCR etc

In my opinion,
Database and networks seem to be the best bet and the reason is not far-fetched
this IT Fields are ubiquitous
Trust me, You dont want to be in an IT unit that restricts you to the banking industry

Im presently in Application support(Core Banking) and im already making moves to switch to Database Management or IT audit
Another two units missing from your list which i consider juicy and highly prospective is
IT AUDIT and Application Development

But then, all of these boils down to interest and what you enjoy doing the most

1 Like

Re: IT Department In Bank : What Is The Best Career Path ? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 03, 2017
engrrichie92:

In my opinion,
Database and networks seem to be the best bet and the reason is not far-fetched
this IT Fields are ubiquitous
Trust me, You dont want to be in an IT unit that restricts you to the banking industry

Im presently in Application support(Core Banking) and im already making moves to switch to Database Management or IT audit
Another two units missing from your list which i consider juicy and highly prospective is
IT AUDIT and Application Development

But then, all of these boils down to interest and what you enjoy doing the most

Nice points. Can we have more inputs ?

Moderator abeg push to FP for more inputs.

Mynd44
Re: IT Department In Bank : What Is The Best Career Path ? by BiafraBushBoy(m): 12:15am On Jun 04, 2017
Most banks hire networking guys on contract basis.

So if you are a good networking guru with good knowledge in security, you will become a beautiful bride courted by top brands!!

(1) (Reply)

Glo Or Zenith Bank? Urgent Advice Needed! / Flourmill Nigeria Plc (sales Officer Cbt/driving Test) / What Are The Likely Questions Asked At ARM INVESTMENT Interview And Test?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.