Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,200 members, 7,815,183 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

What Is Axle Oil? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Is Axle Oil? (2572 Views)

What Is The Difference Between Back Axle And "Car Camber"? / Axle Oil / Axle Oil For Toyota Camry 2001 Model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Axle Oil? by Aladine(m): 6:55am On Jun 03, 2017
I drive a corolla 2011 and just changed the complete drive shaft with the inner cup. I noticed some oil collected from under at the inner cup side. Could be up to 1 litre. It seem thicker than gear oil n it's not engine oil. Mechanic said its axle oil from the transmission. How do I replace this and what is axle oil? What damage can be done if I don't replace. Thank u.
Cc @gauze@nurey@kingrein
Re: What Is Axle Oil? by nurey(m): 10:11am On Jun 03, 2017
The pix is what a axle looks like, majorly found in 4WD setup.

To me, when your driving shafts is changed, it is the transmission oil that leaks out, the only other lubricant I know applied should be grease. Last time I checked a corolla is a front wheel drive and I doubt if you need axle oil cause the suspension parts aren't axle type. I recently worked on my car too and the mechanic told me the oil sipping from the shaft is transmission oil about same quantity as yours but mine was pinkish.

But you can wait for the gurus as they will tell you the real deal oya GAZZUZZ, Kingreign, honmusa, mayor123 etc.

Modified
The shafts is same as axle, the last time I changed that part on a Nissan it was grease used not axle oil, but will wait for the gurus to shed more light

Re: What Is Axle Oil? by Aladine(m): 11:16am On Jun 03, 2017
Thank u nurey. I tot so too but it's the oil thickness I was wondering about. Also I gauged the transmission oil and it's on gauge. Do u think I should top it up again? Considering the leak
Re: What Is Axle Oil? by nurey(m): 11:34am On Jun 03, 2017
Aladine:
Thank u nurey. I tot so too but it's the oil thickness I was wondering about. Also I gauged the transmission oil and it's on gauge. Do u think I should top it up again? Considering the leak

Since the transmission oil is upto Guage, don't top up. Thickness may be due to contamination, if the pads have worn out and mud/water is entering into the shaft space.
Re: What Is Axle Oil? by Aladine(m): 1:28pm On Jun 03, 2017
Thanks
Re: What Is Axle Oil? by mayor2013: 7:59am On Jun 04, 2017
The job done caused the leak. Reinspect cvjoint, drive shaft rubbers. Make sure the clips are properly held upon to the rubbers else you would experience this
Re: What Is Axle Oil? by sultaan(m): 5:35pm On Jun 04, 2017
2011 corolla with that problem must have driven very far.

As earlier noted it is transmission fluid ,refill with the right fluid , your mechanic should have planned a trans service with axle replacement
Re: What Is Axle Oil? by chuka5000(m): 6:28pm On Jun 04, 2017
Aladine:

pls is ur car auto or manual transmission.

because for a front wheel drive corolla u may see the gear oil (manual drive) which normally look like engine oil but it's way thicker.

(1) (Reply)

Is It Good To Buy N100000 Motor Car At Olx / Pls Are Nigeria Car Mart Car Prices Real Or Fake / Peugeot 206

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.