Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,773 members, 7,837,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 10:58 AM

Roomate-cultural Differences-need Help W/communication - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Roomate-cultural Differences-need Help W/communication (1163 Views)

Female Roomate Urgently Needed In Abuja / My Roomate Sneaked Out Of NYSC Camp Wearing Only A Short Boxers And Singlet / How To Deal With A Difficult Roomate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Roomate-cultural Differences-need Help W/communication by fluteloops: 1:22am On Feb 01, 2007
Hello! I'm a college student in America. I have a roomate that recently moved here from Nigeria. We have become friends. She usually seems really nice, and we have quite a few things in common. The only thing is that she is always telling people how physically unattractive she thinks they are. She has never met my sisters, but she saw a picture of us, and she kept saying telling me, and others, that they are so much prettier than me. We all look about the same to me, and no one else seems to think that. (in fact, I was a beauty queen in high school). I can't imagine anyone else saying anything that rude. She says that i'm a master with makeup, even after I've only spent about 2 minutes putting it on, without any extra effort. I'm a little afraid that she's going to tell a certain guy this.  She told another one of our roomates that she's so ugly that she scares the boys away. I don't know if she is just trying to be honest, and it's not considered to be rude to say something like that in her culture or she's trying to be mean. Anyway, I don't want to be hurt or get mad at her for just saying what she thinks. She is a nice girl in a lot of ways. In America, most people wouldn't say these things because it would be rude and could hurt other's feelings.  Do you think that she is trying to say rude things or is she just sharing her opinion?   Thank you for your advice!
Re: Roomate-cultural Differences-need Help W/communication by LadyT(f): 1:23am On Feb 01, 2007
Shes just rude!
Re: Roomate-cultural Differences-need Help W/communication by fluteloops: 9:20pm On Feb 01, 2007
Lol, thank you. So she should know that it's innapropriate to say that. If anyone else has an opinion, I would like to hear it.
Re: Roomate-cultural Differences-need Help W/communication by desiree(f): 11:19pm On Feb 01, 2007
I agree she is rude and she is probably feeling insecure about herself, insecure people always try to bring other people down that is their defense mechanism so people don’t see through.

Tell her exactly what you feel about her comment and hopefully she would stop saying them.
Re: Roomate-cultural Differences-need Help W/communication by OmoEko1(f): 1:19pm On Feb 02, 2007
she's not rude that are naija people act in general and it's common around the young ladies the most. anyway leave her alone, she will meet one crazy akata gurl and that one will teach her some lesson. so i will advice u to relax and be mellow.
Re: Roomate-cultural Differences-need Help W/communication by desiree(f): 8:04pm On Feb 02, 2007
Omo Eko:

she's not rude that are naija people act in general and it's common around the young ladies the most. anyway leave her alone, she will meet one crazy akata girl and that one will teach her some lesson. so i will advice u to relax and be mellow.

strange, i know i'm always around naija girls, i've never met one that acts like that.
Re: Roomate-cultural Differences-need Help W/communication by naijacutee(f): 9:21pm On Feb 02, 2007
I kind of understand where you're coming from. I have, in the past had some conversations with people and they look at my younger sister or brother and say things like "Gosh, your sister is so pretty, where did you drop from - heaven or hell?" And I never took things like that seriously. . . I just tell them " waka shege" (Rude words accompanied by a rude gesture )

I think you should speak to her and tell her that in this country, people find such statements offensive and even though she may not mean any harm, people may not find things like this funny.

Once I was walking home with a Nigerian friend and a British friend. My Nigerian friend said to my British friend "Hurry up, are you giving birth to three little pigs?" and she immediately retorted "Well, f*** you too, b****!" Lets just say there was a 10-minute silence which was punctuated by a comment I made on a fox someone had run over in the street.
Re: Roomate-cultural Differences-need Help W/communication by ikamefa(f): 5:47pm On Feb 03, 2007
@topic your room-mate is so insensitive it left me gasping , you should tell her how you feel about her behavior, like some one said she prolly has alow self esteem so shes tryna bring errbody around her down!

if she still continues to behave so rudely afterward then she needs to be dealt with! angry cheesy
Re: Roomate-cultural Differences-need Help W/communication by BlackMamba(m): 5:48pm On Feb 03, 2007
She may be prone to the insensitivity of some privileged kids from class conscious African society, which you can relate to the attitude of some white Americans, borne out of racism for the most part. Just tell her how you feel and make your decision on the friendship. And BTW, it's not a Nigerian thing.
Re: Roomate-cultural Differences-need Help W/communication by mamaput(f): 6:39pm On Feb 03, 2007
Its rudeand not done.
Well i have a set of friends and we spend time abusing ourselves.
But its only among this set because we know its not normal.
Maybe its JJc and she thinks its cool i do not know.
Let her know if she gose no like that she will not have many friends and if she has nothing nice to say she should shut up.
Re: Roomate-cultural Differences-need Help W/communication by ell77(f): 8:25pm On Feb 03, 2007
Some people are just rude like that.

However, are you sure she is not just kidding? For instance me and some of my friends call each other ugly and say we are the most beautiful thiings on earth but are just kidding. If anyone insulted me or those same friends you will see how fast we will defend our friend's TO THE DEATH! lol! It is just our way of relating - friendly banter if you will and I was born and raised in England, some of those are joke with are Jamaican and yes some are Nigerian. But I know who to do this with and how to say it to make it obvious it is a joke sometimes if it is not clear I even say only joking! If you say you and your siblings look the same then maybe she is doing the same and expects the same in return but does not realise you are taking it offensively. It is stupid on her part though as she has just met you, the peeps I do it with I have known since early secondary school (12 years). I don't do it with those I have known even for three years as I feel we don't have tat kinda relationship and would not wan't them to believe the things I am saying I actually believe. Anyway ask her if she really means it when she says your friend is ugly - it may make things more clear for you and you can just say you and your friends are not used to it and you thought she was serious and ask her to tone it down (if she says she was joking). If she is not joking, then just opt to move rooms, you don't need people like that to put u down.

It is not Nigerian to tell someone who you befirend ugly and actually mean it! It is just a mean thing. SIMPLE. If anything, we lie to our friends who are ugly and make them believe they are the most irresistable thing alive even if they look like a leper! The most we may do is be rude about someone's outfit who we care about - 'cos that is fixable!
Re: Roomate-cultural Differences-need Help W/communication by fluteloops: 1:43am On Feb 25, 2007
Thank you so much for the replies.  We're not talking to eachother very much anymore.  I'm glad that I understand her, and don't let her treat me like that.

(1) (Reply)

'JARUS!'. . . Aah How Did You Know Me By That Name?' / Help / Man Kills Wife For ‘wearing Trousers’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.