Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,646 members, 7,813,167 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:08 AM

Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death (31372 Views)

'I Control The Budget'- General Sani Abacha In A Throwback Video / Photos From Outside Sani Abacha Stadium After Hitting Full Capacity For Atiku / Lady Wears T-shirt With "General Sani Abacha" Image (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by Omoluabi16(m): 4:37am On Jun 08, 2017
It was on a morning of June 8, 1998. I had hurried off to school which was situated in a military barracks, only to meet a strange sight...A sight of chaos and disorganization, like the biblical 'sheep without a shepherd' story. It was very unusual. From the little I gathered, I heard "ABACHA DON DIE".

Born in 1943, a kanuri from borno state. Abacha was commissioned as an officer in 1963. Abacha had a successful military career at a young age, and was said in some quarters to be the most successful coup plotter in nigeria, participating in all the coups the country experienced. He possibly was a foot soldier in the January 66' coup.

A chief of army staff, and later minister of defence under the Babangida regime, Abacha was the first nigerian officer to attain the rank of a general without skipping a single rank. The stage was set for Abacha to reach the very top, and he finally seized power from the interim government in 17th November 1993.

General abacha ran a despotic and sadistic government in which human rights were basically non existent. He placed himself above the jurisdiction of the court and could detain whosoever challenged his government. His government perpetuated the worst human rights abuse in nigerian history where people either went on exile or were assassinated. Kudirat abiola, alfred rewane amongst others were gunned down.The worst was when Ogoni playwright ken saro wiwa who fought for the rights of ogoniland was arrested alongside 8 others. Despite international pressure, they were hanged and had their bodies DISSOLVED IN ACID.

The sani abacha regime had some successes of note. The regime robustly supported ECOWAS by supplying Nigerian soldiers for ECOMOG duties to help restore democracy in Liberia and Sierra leone. Nigeria's foreign reserve greatly increase, and a drop in our debt profile amongst others.

In 1998, Abacha planned on transiting to democratic governance...with all the five political parties endorsing him as their candidate. In June 8th 1998, General abacha suddenly died of cardiac arrest at the Aso rock villa and was buried same day according to Islamic rites. Some parts of nigeria celebrated his demise, and saw it as a huge relief.

General abacha's regime was one fraught with corruption in which Nigeria was looted dry. His economic prudence was diverting monies to personal accounts. Nigeria has spent over a decade trying to gather and recover these funds known as THE ABACHA LOOT. Aside having a military career, abacha was not known to have any business as at the time of death. But today the abacha's have a university in Niger republic and other huge properties and untold wealth. General abacha had 7 sons and 3 daughters. He was posthumously awarded by the GEJ government in 2014 during Nigeria's centenary celebration.

lalasticlala. abacha loved snakes too.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by Nobody: 4:53am On Jun 08, 2017
Why remember a dictator

50 Likes

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by BigBelleControl(m): 4:53am On Jun 08, 2017
The RayBan wearing head of state. I remember that year, this man was so feared that people whispered when they discuss him for fear of being arrested or killed. His national broadcast was always like watching scary movie. We all celebrated when he died but I later realized that his death has not been a lesson for us in this country.

81 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by Omoluabi16(m): 5:02am On Jun 08, 2017
SirJeffry:
Why remember a dictator
We can't erase history sir, no matter how ugly. The best we can do is learn about, and from it.

31 Likes

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by Elmojiid(m): 5:16am On Jun 08, 2017
my mentor and hero.....rest in peace sir.......am in my house come and beat me

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by Toosure70: 6:13am On Jun 08, 2017
God is great.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by orunto27: 6:56am On Jun 08, 2017
He employed Prof. Aluko, one of the best of Nigerian Economists and messed him up. He employed Ojukwu to destabilise Obasanjo. He was a maximum dictator, a messup and an abomination. May his ways perish forever IJN AMEN!!!

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by Omoluabi16(m): 7:09am On Jun 08, 2017
Elmojiid:
my mentor and hero.....rest in peace sir.......am in my house come and beat me
your mentor? okay

37 Likes

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by OZAOEKPE(f): 7:16am On Jun 08, 2017
He died a saint according to that phool called prrsedent vegetable

16 Likes

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by ephi321(f): 10:37am On Jun 08, 2017
This is the same man whose remembrance pictures are pasted on buses in the North, he is still celebrated there despite his horrible legacy. Nigeria has a looong way to go.

Just reading below that he was the one who murdered the Ogoni 8 and several other assassinations. Well, death eventually came for him too. Evil beast.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by Nobody: 10:42am On Jun 08, 2017
Abacha Stove remains in our memory.

I know some people won't know that stove, there was a time in 9ja that you have to buy saw dust.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by foolishsouth: 10:42am On Jun 08, 2017
What is there to remember about the b*stard

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by 0b100100111: 10:43am On Jun 08, 2017
God bless Sani Abacha!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by NwaAmaikpe: 10:43am On Jun 08, 2017
grin
Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by NwaAmaikpe: 10:43am On Jun 08, 2017
grin..

I miss Maryam Abacha
Naija's finest lady....almost as fine as Bianca Ojukwu

The only first lady with firm, standing boobs.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by Freelady(m): 10:43am On Jun 08, 2017
The tyrant

2 Likes

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by Franchise21(m): 10:43am On Jun 08, 2017
Plz, what's there to remember??
Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by WORLDPEACE(m): 10:43am On Jun 08, 2017
I was writing junior WAEC in Abuja. Some friends who had cable TV then said they watched the news on CNN. Come and see happiness everywhere. Everybody was happy no matter their ethnic group.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by Franchise21(m): 10:44am On Jun 08, 2017
Remembering the late dicktator grin
Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by hucienda: 10:44am On Jun 08, 2017
Same man that executed Kenule and the other eight in the Ogoni 9 back in '95?

Same man that embezzled unend that even made Maryam exclaim in defiance: " ... We can never be as poor as Dangote"?

Same man Buhari said wasn't corrupt?

Recall the late Pope visited him in February same year and amongst other things, enjoined him to release political prisoners. We all know how that ended. The circumstances around his death, and the other man that followed the next month still remain mysterious.

Oh well. Good to remind ourselves of the history of the country once in a while.

9 Likes

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by samtee37(m): 10:44am On Jun 08, 2017
And what was he remembered for

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by coolcharm(m): 10:44am On Jun 08, 2017
Apples, Prostitues, killer Squad, Looting and Cassava are the only things that I associate with the name Abacha

7 Likes

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by Philinho(m): 10:45am On Jun 08, 2017
Nothing to remember except for his evils

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by mpowa(m): 10:45am On Jun 08, 2017
It was a time of darkness in Nigeria...and that includes literally, NEPA no gree give us light.

Another thing I remembered was Assassination, people dey die like chicken...he even ordered the killing of Pa Rewane, a 79yrs old nationalist, who's already going to his grave...Abacha quickened his steps.

I won't even be surprised if he's responsible for Fela's death, since Baba 70 they do his ting, he no get HIV, Abacha put am for prison, Fela came back with HIV virus, maybe na injection.

15 Likes

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by seunlly(m): 10:45am On Jun 08, 2017
..Wicked tyrant killed with an apple.
nothing to remember about you. all our money wey dey Switzerland we want it back. June 12 on my mind topless march..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by Nobody: 10:46am On Jun 08, 2017
The only thing i remember about him is looting..abusing Nigerians,corruption,lack of respect for fundamental human rights,wrong execution of Ken-Saro Wiwa and anybody who opposed Abacha's authority........the country was a big mess and pple lived in fear.....little wonder Nigerians were rejoicing over his death.

OP take down that picture....he's not a great leader at all.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by jamalnation(m): 10:46am On Jun 08, 2017
respect
Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by Nobody: 10:46am On Jun 08, 2017
Taaaaaaaaa
Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by Goddygee(m): 10:47am On Jun 08, 2017
He is isn't Worth remembering... He doesn't portray a good image in the minds of Nigerians, I comment my reserve.

2 Likes

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by Nobody: 10:47am On Jun 08, 2017
0b100100111:
God bless Sani Abacha!

The worst democratic regime is better than the best military regime.

1 Like

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by Iceman2017(m): 10:47am On Jun 08, 2017
I remembered how we celebrated in the street when this man died. It was like a blessing to Nigerians.

Fast forward to this day and the condition of Nigerian state....

I think we miss him

10 Likes

Re: Remembering General Sani Abacha: 19 Years After His Death by chynie: 10:48am On Jun 08, 2017
what is there to remember about Sani Abacha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nela Duke & Asuquo Ekpeyong's Traditional Wedding: Dangote, Akpabio Spotted / From Reno Omokri To Ben Bruce - Citizens Are Starting To Feel The Change / Dickson Hosts Obasanjo, Goodluck Jonathan And Patience To A Dinner (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.