Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,647 members, 7,809,445 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

What Is Biafra Exactly? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is Biafra Exactly? (2436 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu, Ankio Briggs And Asari Dokubo Agreed That Ijaw Is Biafra / I'm Confused: Is Biafra Struggle For Yorubas? / This Month Is Biafra Month- Asari Dokubo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Biafra Exactly? by ednited(f): 12:30pm On Jun 08, 2017
Guys, I want a clear definition on Biafra?
What is Biafra? I have a lil clue about these group of ppl but what damages are they causing in Nigeria today?
Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by Xway(m): 12:36pm On Jun 08, 2017
ednited:
What is Biafra? I have a lil clue about these group of ppl but what damages are they causing in Nigeria today?
Biafra is the name of my country.
It is also known as the land of the rising sun.

#We awaits referendum
#We await freedom
#We awaits our Republic
Indeed we are more resolute and formidable.

I rep the land of the rising. .
God bless nnamdi kanu
God bless Biafrans

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by ednited(f): 12:39pm On Jun 08, 2017
Xway:
Biafra is the name of my country.
It is also known as the land of the rising sun.

#We awaits referendum
#We await freedom
#We awaits our Republic
Indeed we are more resolute and formidable.

I rep the land of the rising. .
God bless nnamdi kanu
God bless Biafrans

Am lost now. Is Biafra an independent country already?

I heard Biafrans are Nigerians who want to split up

1 Like

Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by frankdGreat125: 12:47pm On Jun 08, 2017
u want to no about BIAFRA. abi, now listen very well:
BIAFRA is a country born out of a collective desire of the oppressed in a zoo country called Nigeria.
after d collapse of d Aburi acude concorde. chukwuemka Odumegwu Ojukwu is d man ho led d struggle of no victor no vanquish with out d help no ally from any country. Fighting a war without no gun or cutlass but with wisdom n knowledge giving to us by God of Israel,
today we r d RISING SON
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF BIAFRA
A KNOWN COUNTRY IN MAKING

2 Likes

Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by ednited(f): 12:52pm On Jun 08, 2017
frankdGreat125:
BIAFRA is a country born out of a collective desire of the oppressed in a zoo country called Nigeria.
after d collapse of d Aburi acude concorde. chukwuemka Odumegwu Ojukwu is d man ho led d struggle of no victor no vanquish with out d help no ally from any country.

Thanks. It's surprising how powerfull they are today. Are they very big in number?
Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by Young03(m): 1:00pm On Jun 08, 2017
Biafra is a landlocked country in Nigeria, They are majorly made of Igbo speaking tribe, joined with some minor ethnic groups

Bt www.google.com will help u more

1 Like

Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by Xway(m): 2:18pm On Jun 08, 2017
ednited:

Am lost now. Is Biafra an independent country already?

I heard Biafrans are Nigerians who want to split up
Ur rigth.
We are agitating for a country of our own.
For some time it has been a peaceful agitation.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by Xway(m): 2:22pm On Jun 08, 2017
ednited:

Thanks. It's surprising how powerfull they are today. Are they very big in number?
Igbo ethnic group is made up of about 50 million in population.
And 99% percent of this population said yes to a sovereign country called biafra.
Alas we are waiting for it declaration.

God bless rising sun

3 Likes

Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by ednited(f): 2:36pm On Jun 08, 2017
Xway:
Igbo ethnic group is made up of about 50 million in population.
And 99% percent of this population said yes to a sovereign country called biafra.
Alas we are waiting for it declaration.

God bless rising sun

I hope it happens peacefully
Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by Xway(m): 4:49pm On Jun 08, 2017
ednited:

I hope it happens peacefully
Sure dear it will by the grace of God.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by robosky02(m): 11:34am On Jun 12, 2017
ednited:

After suffering through years of suppression under Nigeria’s military government, the breakaway state of Biafra proclaims its independence from Nigeria.

In 1960, Nigeria gained independence from Britain. Six years later (1966), the Muslim Hausas in northern Nigeria began massacring the Christian Igbos in the region, prompting tens of thousands of Igbos to flee to the east, where their people were the dominant ethnic group. The Igbos doubted that Nigeria’s oppressive military government would allow them to develop, or even survive, so on May 30, 1967, Lieutenant Colonel Odumegwu Ojukwu and other non-Igbo representatives of the area established the Republic of Biafra, comprising several states of Nigeria.

After diplomatic efforts by Nigeria failed to reunite the country, war between Nigeria and Biafra broke out in July 1967. Ojukwu’s forces made some initial advances, but Nigeria’s superior military strength gradually reduced Biafran territory. The state lost its oil fields–its main source of revenue–and without the funds to import food, an estimated one million of its civilians died as a result of severe malnutrition. On January 11, 1970, Nigerian forces captured the provincial capital of Owerri, one of the last Biafran strongholds, and Ojukwu was forced to flee to the Ivory Coast. Four days later, Biafra surrendered to Nigeria.

however after several years certain aborigens of the biafran state are now calling for a breakaway AGAIN from Nigeria. that's why you are hearing so much about Biafra again

its like Eritra breaking away from Ethiopia
cc: ednited wink

2 Likes

Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by ednited(f): 11:46am On Jun 12, 2017
robosky02:

After suffering through years of suppression under Nigeria’s military government, the breakaway state of Biafra proclaims its independence from Nigeria.

In 1960, Nigeria gained independence from Britain. Six years later (1966), the Muslim Hausas in northern Nigeria began massacring the Christian Igbos in the region, prompting tens of thousands of Igbos to flee to the east, where their people were the dominant ethnic group. The Igbos doubted that Nigeria’s oppressive military government would allow them to develop, or even survive, so on May 30, 1967, Lieutenant Colonel Odumegwu Ojukwu and other non-Igbo representatives of the area established the Republic of Biafra, comprising several states of Nigeria.

After diplomatic efforts by Nigeria failed to reunite the country, war between Nigeria and Biafra broke out in July 1967. Ojukwu’s forces made some initial advances, but Nigeria’s superior military strength gradually reduced Biafran territory. The state lost its oil fields–its main source of revenue–and without the funds to import food, an estimated one million of its civilians died as a result of severe malnutrition. On January 11, 1970, Nigerian forces captured the provincial capital of Owerri, one of the last Biafran strongholds, and Ojukwu was forced to flee to the Ivory Coast. Four days later, Biafra surrendered to Nigeria.

however after several years certain aborigens of the biafran state are now calling for a breakaway AGAIN from Nigeria. that's why you are hearing so much about Biafra again

its like Eritra breaking away from Ethiopia
cc: ednited wink

unity is always the solution but Biafrans are not wrong. Ethiopia-Eritrea story is different

it is a dissapointment

2 Likes

Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by robosky02(m): 11:48am On Jun 12, 2017
ednited:

unity is always the solution but Biafrans are not wrong. Ethiopia-Eritrea story is different

it is a dissapointment

I stand for unity

1 Like

Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by Indiaindia: 11:56am On Jun 12, 2017
ednited:
BIAFRA IS IBO DIALECT INTRODUCED BY OJUKU IN DURING CIVIL WAR
BIA means come
then
FRA means join or together
THEREFORE BIAFRA MEANS come together IN IBO LANGUAGE. THAT'S WHY TODAY BIAFRA IS 99% IBO ANYTHING BIAFRA IS IBO
AYA ADIOG ONO BIAFRA

1 Like

Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by ednited(f): 11:56am On Jun 12, 2017
robosky02:

I stand for unity

I hope Nigerians understand the pain Biafrans have passed through and that they will show love to these ppl. And Biafrans should drop all that and get along well with their nations.

you guys only need negotiators (different African country leaders) to solve this

I feel it's easy to solve. As long as the Nigerian love stays in all
Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by Tkester: 12:10pm On Jun 12, 2017
ednited:

I hope Nigerians understand the pain Biafrans have passed through and that they will show love to these ppl. And Biafrans should drop all that and get along well with their nations.

you guys only need negotiators (different African country leaders) to solve this

I feel it's easy to solve. As long as the Nigerian love stays in all

Sister, we've tried this for over 100years and its apparently not working. In fact, we are in auto reverse, so methinks it is foolhardy for us to keep trying. Or don't you think so?
Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by ednited(f): 12:14pm On Jun 12, 2017
Tkester:

Sister, we've tried this for over 100years and its apparently not working. In fact, we are in auto reverse, so methinks it is foolhardy for us to keep trying. Or don't you think so?

You know, I can't even say anything right now. Cuz I have a country I fear it would split to 9.

Then u'll have to let 'em go, as we did to Eritrea
Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by edi287: 12:33pm On Jun 12, 2017
Biafrans are not the victims they claim to be. Yes what happened to igbos during the pogrom and the Civil war was unfortunate, but I find it funny that people don't talk about what Biafran soldiers did to the people of SS. They tried to force them to join Biafra and when they refused they killed their chiefs and raped their women.
Funny thing is now, Nnamdi Kanu STILL insists on lumping them together with Biafra.. he hasn't learnt from the mistakes of the civil war.
I am Igbo but I'll never fall for IPOB propaganda. Do your research and you'll see the truth. The problem this country faces is the elite class.
Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by ednited(f): 12:57pm On Jun 12, 2017
edi287:
Biafrans are not the victims they claim to be. Yes what happened to igbos during the pogrom and the Civil war was unfortunate, but I find it funny that people don't talk about what Biafran soldiers did to the people of SS. They tried to force them to join Biafra and when they refused they killed their chiefs and raped their women.
Funny thing is now, Nnamdi Kanu STILL insists on lumping them together with Biafra.. he hasn't learnt from the mistakes of the civil war.
I am Igbo but I'll never fall for IPOB propaganda. Do your research and you'll see the truth. The problem this country faces is the elite class.

Oh no, that's bad!
Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by Nobody: 10:30am On Jun 20, 2017
ednited:

Oh no, that's bad!
Using Google tools will help you to
Know more about biafra.

How ddeveloped is Ethiopia and what prospects abound there?

What is the main religion practised there

Why is the majority ethnic group sidelined there which is Oromo or thereabout
Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by Michael004: 11:31am On Jun 20, 2017
Xway:
Biafra is the name of my country. It is also known as the land of the rising sun.
#We awaits referendum #We await freedom #We awaits our Republic Indeed we are more resolute and formidable.

I rep the land of the rising. . God bless nnamdi kanu God bless Biafrans
Given by an igbo man and trying to include others.
Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by Michael004: 11:40am On Jun 20, 2017
frankdGreat125:
after d collapse of d Aburi acude concorde. chukwuemka Odumegwu Ojukwu is d man ho led d struggle of no victor no vanquish with out d help no ally from any country. Fighting a war without no gun or cutlass but with wisdom n knowledge giving to us by God of Israel,
today we r d RISING SON
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF BIAFRA
A KNOWN COUNTRY IN MAKING
God hate a lair, this is why God cannot answer your prayers because you people are full of lies. These countries below that helped you are not to be appreciated ba. Little wonder why they call you ingrates cos you pop are ingrate in nature. Lady, if you listen to him, you are on your own. The same ppl that starved their women and children to gain sympathy and lied that Britain, Nigeria and awolowo starved them. The revelations are many. Look at the countries that helped them below.

Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by ednited(f): 12:02pm On Jun 20, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
Using Google tools will help you to
Know more about biafra.

How ddeveloped is Ethiopia and what prospects abound there?

What is the main religion practised there

Why is the majority ethnic group sidelined there which is Oromo or thereabout

Ethiopia is now developing very fast that it's now the #1 powerful country in East Africa.

Orthodox religion is much practiced in the country

Oromos have the biggest population and Amharas are next

1 Like

Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by feelgoodInc: 12:10pm On Jun 20, 2017
cc; OAM4J take this to front page m
Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jun 20, 2017
ednited:

Ethiopia is now developing very fast that it's now the #1 powerful country in East Africa.

I thought Kenya are East Africa powerhouse

What is the major forex earner for Ethiopia?

Can you elaborate more about Orthodox Religion

Why are the Oromos sidelined?
Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by netbizmanz(m): 12:47pm On Jun 20, 2017
I think you should define what Nigeria is first so that you can understand where you're asking from
Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by oladeebo: 1:00pm On Jun 20, 2017
ednited:
op
for your notice;
this is exactly Biafra:

Portuguese biafra Founded by Portuguese slave traders around 1500AD-1800AD to facilitate the business of slave trade in the Niger coast, Portuguese merchants contact igbo in the mid 1500AD in the jungle of Cameroon/Gabon/Equatorial Guinea!
At the time of slave trade boom igbo served the Portuguese with the people of Benin kidnapped in the forest and sold them to Portuguese!
Igbo cross into Benin kingdom area ambushed their victims kidnapped them and take them to the Portuguese biafra and sold them their!
When Slave trade abolished in 1807! No more business as usual in Portuguese biafra, the biafra Portuguese dead and igbo with out other business begin to move to where they've been ambushed people for slave trade and settled there, scatter in the forest as there is no center government for them, that's where the British mobilized them and included them into the Nigeria Southern protectorate in 1900!
till today igbo still what they were since then, and that's why they find it hard to accept being in a setting government like that of Nigeria!
And all the character of kidnapping is still there playing by igbo even today.
When British enter interior of Nigeria territory they ruled Norther and Southern protectorate, in 1900 they included igbo into the southern protectorates before merge the Northern and Southern protectorates together in 1914!
In which igbo were British subjects till today!
Here is the origin of igbo!

Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by SGANIVA(m): 1:56pm On Jun 20, 2017
Google will help .biafra was once an independent country, now inside the zoo called Nigeria and are seeking exit again

1 Like

Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by SGANIVA(m): 1:59pm On Jun 20, 2017
you can also read the history of igbo s in Google
Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jun 20, 2017
No problems. Come October 1, any Igbo you see in the North, you can go ahead and murder him/her. It won't be the first time. I am sure they won't be up to 3 million Igbo's. Even if you kill all of them, it won't be the first time.
As for the Igbo's in the North, onye ajuru aju, anaghi aju onwe ya. Leave the north. You may lose a lot but it's only a temporary setback. Your fathers lost everything and started again with only 20 pounds, yet they survived. They overcame this terrible setback. They went ahead to build great business across Nigeria. Today their descendants are reasonably ahead some of the people that sort to annihilate them. This time around it is not as bad as it was then. You have the chance to take everything that belongs to you that you possibly can from the North.
Are you people not tired of the insults from other tribes? Everybody is asking us to leave their land. North, West, South South & North Central, everybody. We see this everyday on social media. It's either we are doing something exceptionally well or we are doing things in a terribly bad way. Either way come back home. Are you not tired of insults, uncertainties, anxieties and fears over your lives, properties, investments and above all your families. End the insults. Return home.
How I wish every Igbo man will just ignore every insult against Ndiigbo on social media & refuse to reply or comment.
How I wish every Igbo man will return to the South East and contribute in building our homeland.
No I am not asking for Biafra yet. I am asking our people to take pride in our heritage and build our own land. Nigeria is not like USA. Even if you were born in Alabama, if you lived in NY for up to a year or so, you are a citizen of NY. You can vote and you can be voted for in NY. In Nigeria, even if you have lived all your life in Lagos and your father lived all his life in Lagos but your name is not a Kayode or an Olumide, you are seen as a visitor who can be ejected anytime, especially in the event of crises, notwithstanding the fact that you legally bought the piece of land on which you built your house all by your own effort. The same applies across the whole nation.
If our people come back home and put in the effort we have put into other regions in the last 40 years, perhaps in 10 to 40 years time, we will have a homeland full great and beautiful cities we can all be proud of. Other Nigerians will respect us. They too will start rushing to Aba, Enugu & Onitsha the same way we are rushing to Lagos and Kano today. Above we will leave a better homeland for our children. Our children today are struggling so much over their identity. "Daddy, why are we (Igbo's) hated so much in Nigeria", a terrible question from an 8-year old, a very difficult question for his father to answer.
My view.
Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by ednited(f): 2:14pm On Jun 20, 2017
QueenOfNepal:
I thought Kenya are East Africa powerhouse

What is the major forex earner for Ethiopia?

Can you elaborate more about Orthodox Religion

Why are the Oromos sidelined?

It was Kenya for a long time, but interms of Military strength and also Economy, Ethiopia is the powerhouse

Ethiopia's economy is mainly dependent on Agriculture. Coffee export in Ethiopia is as Oil export in Nigeria.

The Orthodox religion in Ethiopia was and still being practiced highly in the country. The number might change but Addis Ababa have 70% of it's citizens Orthodox Christian. The religion was introduced in Ethiopia long ago. But Ethiopians practice the religion their own way. Ethiopians call it 'Orthodox tewahdo'. Tewahdo means mixed. Our bible is written in Ge'ez and Amharic language

And what do you mean with sidelined? you mean isolated?

1 Like

Re: What Is Biafra Exactly? by nijabazaar: 2:14pm On Jun 20, 2017
ednited:

Is there an Ugly person in Ethiopia ....its a stupid question. but just answer it.

(1) (2) (Reply)

PMB Arrives Aso Rock, Greets Officials, Jokes Before Heading In (pics&video) / Presidency Replies Pastor Bakare / Yoruba Should Stop The Blackmail Against The Igbos.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.