Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,594 members, 7,827,237 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep (60421 Views)

World Sleep Day 2018: When Last Did You Sleep For 7 To 8 Hours At Night? / 8 Things That Happen To Your Body During Sex / Five Things That Make Women’s Breasts Sag Quickly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Nobody: 8:24am On Jun 09, 2017
iyke926:

grin grin I have had such experience too woke up with pains on my knuckles. It was my classmate I wanted to knock.lol
grin grin grin
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Airoflaw(m): 8:35am On Jun 09, 2017
1bkaye:
Apparently we swallow at least 8 spiders a year whilst we sleep
who are d "WE"
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Kaybaba5(m): 8:39am On Jun 09, 2017
jhydebaba:
Sleep is great...sweet dreams nairalander.

The other day I dreamt that I won so much money. I was very happy only for me to wake up and realized it was a dream. I no gree stand up oh, I went back to sleep.

you better keep on hustling..................

tepa mo ise....ore
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Atlantia(f): 8:42am On Jun 09, 2017
Jckleiin:

please read about nocturnal lagophthalmus
Thanks. smiley
I just read an article on the subject.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by wickyyolo: 8:44am On Jun 09, 2017
jmichlins:
very simple. Your brain stopping you from acting out your dreams.

thats scientific.
let me tell you more about me. For example, if my right eye twitches that day I will meet an old friend or I receive money from someone for free.
But science tells its contradiction. I tried to use medicine to cure it but it comes continuously whenever it wants to.

At REM stage most times I usually know myself sometimes I see people who are coming to hold me down. Since the day I drove them away, I have been meeting people favor me financially and other way compared to before when I allow myself to get hold down.

I don't know it just my opinion and intuition why all have different stories to tell. The world is a mysterious place

1 Like

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by engrjacuzzi: 8:59am On Jun 09, 2017
do animals have wet dreams too?
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by cerowo(f): 9:02am On Jun 09, 2017
Jckleiin:
its caused by so much absorption of blue light. it affects our sleep pattern. Read about blue protect
Ok...tnks

1 Like

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by cerowo(f): 9:05am On Jun 09, 2017
Eaa247:

does it happen regularly? maybe its insomnia or kind of wondering thoughts, being overwhelmed wit issues of life.
its not so healthy
Nah it doesn't happen regularly... Dnt tink it's insomnia.
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by brightgreat(m): 9:06am On Jun 09, 2017
Brother.....I de tell you

sunnysunny69:
Lagos na another thing, hustle nonstop.
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by cerowo(f): 9:06am On Jun 09, 2017
bjhaid:
same here, it's difficult to sleep back when you wake in the middle of the night
Thats true
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Nobody: 9:22am On Jun 09, 2017
1bkaye:
Apparently we swallow at least 8 spiders a year whilst we sleep

loool
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by gameboi: 9:41am On Jun 09, 2017
Mrvirgin:
I also need scientists to explain these things that happen while sleeping:
1. Why do some people drool(spitting from d mouth) while others don't?
2. Why do some open their mouth while others don't.
3. Why do some close their eyes partially while others close entirely.
4. Why do some talk while sleeping?
Atlantia:

I would really like to know the answers to 3 and 4. I'm guilty of both...so I've been told.
sharliz:
snore nko
1. Parasympathetic effect. Apparently, while one falls asleep the parasympathetic effect kicks in causing increased salivation and other related effects like erection.
2. It all depends on the tone of the muscles that hold the jaw during sleep as well as gravity. Pointing also the parasympathetic effect, there's usually constriction of bronchioles and increased secretion of the airways. This forces most people to unconsciously seek another means to breathe (usually by the opening the mouth). And if the mouth is open it's only normal that one should drool. Snoring happens because these secretions obstruct the flow of air. (try breathing through your mouth while awake you won't make this sound)
3. I can't really explain this one. But I'll still say it's another parasympathetic effect. Normally, the muscle of the eyelids (levator palpebrae) is innervated by the sympathetic nervous system. Loss of this innervation (in this case, because the parasympathetic system becomes the boss during sleep) causes ptosis (drooping of the eyelid) i.e the eyelids close. It still beats my imagination why most people eyes remain open while asleep.
4. I can't say much on this one. It still relates to the REM & non-REM stages of sleep.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Nobody: 9:46am On Jun 09, 2017
It is the thoughts in our brains that we always dreaming of when asleep. Try reset your thinking faculties when on the bed.
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by oblaak(m): 10:26am On Jun 09, 2017
jhydebaba:
Sleep is great...sweet dreams nairalander.

The other day I dreamt that I won so much money. I was very happy only for me to wake up and realized it was a dream. I no gree stand up oh, I went back to sleep.
Who ask you?
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by greatface(m): 10:46am On Jun 09, 2017
GUY YOU WICKED OOOH. HOW YOU CON MAKE ALL OYINBOS OPEN MOUTH WHILE BLACKS CLOSE THEIR OWN.
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by charlsecy(m): 11:41am On Jun 09, 2017
safarigirl:
I want to know why all the images have people with their mouths wide open, na so everybody dey sleep?
No. Not all of them. I think sleeping in a proper, comfortable posture would prevent mouth opening.
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jun 09, 2017
cerowo:

Nah it doesn't happen regularly... Dnt tink it's insomnia.

oh! I have some pills for u if u dont mind
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by cerowo(f): 12:12pm On Jun 09, 2017
Eaa247:

oh! I have some pills for u if u dont mind
Lols...dnt worry i am okgrin[
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jun 09, 2017
cerowo:

Lols...dnt worry i am okgrin[

its alright! i don try my best
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Rahmoney(m): 12:14pm On Jun 09, 2017
johnamedu:
I often experience it whenever I pray fervently. I used to think it was a witchcraft attack but recently, I heard on one of the radio programs that the cause of it is that the whole of our body doesn't wake up at once. When u experience it, what it means is that ur brain has woken up while the rest of ur body is still asleep and u will find it difficult to move ur body at that moment.

Right on point.. That moment is quite frightening sha.
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by cerowo(f): 12:24pm On Jun 09, 2017
Eaa247:

its alright! i don try my best
Tnks mister
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by cumz(m): 3:01pm On Jun 09, 2017
Atlantia:

Just because.

lol, you are beautiful, whatsup?
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Atlantia(f): 3:31pm On Jun 09, 2017
cumz:

lol, you are beautiful, whatsup?
Thank you...I'm good, how are you?
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by jmichlins(m): 4:22pm On Jun 09, 2017
Forget that religion bullcrap
wickyyolo:

thats scientific.
let me tell you more about me. For example, if my right eye twitches that day I will meet an old friend or I receive money from someone for free.
But science tells its contradiction. I tried to use medicine to cure it but it comes continuously whenever it wants to.

At REM stage most times I usually know myself sometimes I see people who are coming to hold me down. Since the day I drove them away, I have been meeting people favor me financially and other way compared to before when I allow myself to get hold down.

I don't know it just my opinion and intuition why all have different stories to tell. The world is a mysterious place
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by cumz(m): 5:28pm On Jun 09, 2017
Atlantia:

Thank you...I'm good, how are you?

am fine thank you

just had to say hi
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Oselu28(f): 10:13pm On Jun 09, 2017
sureprince01:

I can relate. I has happened to me for like more than 10times, like each time I sleep at afternoon, I won't be able to lift a finger, just my eye lids, it will take me some moment to be able to lift a finger

i swear am tired of this situation at a point i thought it is a spiritual problem,so i informed my parent just incase i die suddenly. i love sleeping alot but when it starts i try as much as possible not to close my eyes....it a very bad experience and u gavr d exact description

1 Like

Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Emerikoss: 9:09pm On Jun 11, 2017
That paralysis part my own na partial temporary paralysis,I don hit hand for window many times because my bed is near window and mehn the thing go come pain me inside dream sef and I'll wake up with immediate effect then doze off again,Plus if someone calls my name when I'm sleeping I'll hear it inside my dream and just open my eyes like dog grin
Re: Interesting Things That Happen When You Sleep by Nobody: 5:56am On May 31, 2019
Immensely elegant texture smiley cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

COVID-19: Innoson Ready To Produce Ventilators & Medical Equipment / Topless White Man And His Partner Jogging Along The Road In VI, Lagos / Family And Friends Mourn Nigerian Woman Who Died 15 Days To Her Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.