Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,259 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:49 AM

Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome (2055 Views)

FG To Begin Campaign Against Indiscipline, African-time Syndrome — Lai Mohammed / Yoruba Pull Him Down Syndrome…yoruba Ronu!!! / Yar'adua Has Churg Strauss Syndrome + Asthma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by g1(m): 6:22pm On Jan 20, 2010
Hello to all nigerians, am i relatively new in nairaland and this will be my first post in the Politics section,

After going through other topics on Nairaland i have noticed some people are too quick to dismiss an ethnic/religious group because of the actions of one person or a few people,
For example if there is a news report of a crime commited by someone from the Igbo tribe, it wont take long before someone comes and post something like : "this igbo people self na so them bi", likewise if the crime was done by a Hause, yoruba, ijaw, calabar etc someone will come here and blast all the people of that tribe,
My fellow nigerinas isnt this a bit childish, except for two years out of the country i have spent all my life in Nigeria and i have travelled around the country, i have met good people of yoruba, hausa, igbo, calabar, idoma etc origin, and i have also met bad people from those same ethnic groups,, same goes for both religions, though i am an atheist i have have met good and bad christians and muslims ,
so please when next there is a report on something bad done by someone from a certain part of the country lets be objective in our criticism instead of crucifying everyone from that part including women and children and animals,
after all corruption that is killing our country is not only found in one part of the country, its is found in every council, local government, state and constituency,

Please i did not open this topic so that it can turn into a war zone like some other ones i have seen, if someone does not agree with me he can tell me in a kind and polite manner so that i can correct myself,

peace out
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by sjeezy8: 6:25pm On Jan 20, 2010
Very true ive recently stopped all the generalizing, its a very bad habbit.
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by bkbaybe99: 6:31pm On Jan 20, 2010
Yeah, generalizing is bad wit a capital "B"; except of course u using The Amaka or Michellin as examples!
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by g1(m): 6:33pm On Jan 20, 2010
sjeezy8:

Very true ive recently stopped all the generalizing, its a very bad habbit.

Thanks sjeezy , am glad am connecting with some people
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by g1(m): 6:34pm On Jan 20, 2010
bk_baybe99:

Yeah, generalizing is bad wit a capital "B"; except of course u using The Amaka or Michellin as examples!

hey bk thanks for your reply, but i will advice against the name dropping, like i said i dont wanna turn this topic into a war zone
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by Sunnybobo3(m): 6:39pm On Jan 20, 2010
What do you call a religion wherein 90% of its adherent terrorize innocent people and 90% of its clerics preach hate?

Will it be out of order if one calls such adherents terrorists?
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by bkbaybe99: 6:39pm On Jan 20, 2010
Hehehehe, dude I'm just clowning is all.lol. I don't come on here to attack nobody, just come on here to have fun that's all!
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by g1(m): 7:00pm On Jan 20, 2010
Sunny_bobo:

What do you call a religion wherein 90% of its adherent terrorize innocent people and 90% of its clerics preach hate?

Will it be out of order if one calls such adherents terrorists?

here we go again, where do you get your statistic of 90%?, are there no muslims in your work place? have they killed you?, lets not allow our hate to cloud our judgements, anyway thanks for your post Sunny_bobo, hope all is well with u?
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by chosen04(f): 7:16pm On Jan 20, 2010
g1:

hey bk thanks for your reply, but i will advice against the name dropping, like i said i dont wanna turn this topic into a war zone

When has using names for example become a crime? especially when the names are not real but mere surnames

I was taught about using names for examples in school. Werent you?
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by g1(m): 7:21pm On Jan 20, 2010
chosen04:

When has using names for example become a crime? especially when the names are not real but mere surnames

I was taught about using names for examples in school. Werent you?

okay chosen04, go ahead help yourself
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by chosen04(f): 7:35pm On Jan 20, 2010
g1:

okay chosen04, go ahead help yourself

Am i sleeping? Are you trying painting me(everyone) with same brush syndrome on me for my comment and question?

Dont you think i need your help?

g1:

here we go again, where do you get your statistic of 90%?, are there no muslims in your work place? have they killed you?, lets not allow our hate to cloud our judgements, anyway thanks for your post Sunny_bobo, hope all is well with u?

What a question from the person who is advocating "CHANGE!"
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by real4life: 7:38pm On Jan 20, 2010
g1:

Hello to all nigerians, am i relatively new in nairaland and this will be my first post in the Politics section,

After going through other topics on Nairaland i have noticed some people are too quick to dismiss an ethnic/religious group because of the actions of one person or a few people,
For example if there is a news report of a crime commited by someone from the Igbo tribe, it wont take long before someone comes and post something like : "this igbo people self na so them bi", likewise if the crime was done by a Hause, yoruba, ijaw, calabar etc someone will come here and blast all the people of that tribe,
My fellow nigerinas isnt this a bit childish, except for two years out of the country i have spent all my life in Nigeria and i have travelled around the country, i have met good people of yoruba, hausa, igbo, calabar, idoma etc origin, and i have also met bad people from those same ethnic groups,, same goes for both religions, though i am an atheist i have have met good and bad christians and muslims ,
so please when next there is a report on something bad done by someone from a certain part of the country lets be objective in our criticism instead of crucifying everyone from that part including women and children and animals,
after all corruption that is killing our country is not only found in one part of the country, its is found in every council, local government, state and constituency,

Please i did not open this topic so that it can turn into a war zone like some other ones i have seen, if someone does not agree with me he can tell me in a kind and polite manner so that i can correct myself,

peace out

I concur
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by ziga: 7:48pm On Jan 20, 2010
@Post

I think it is only people with small minds that are prejudiced.

We need to cure this disease before we can move forward.
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by g1(m): 8:09pm On Jan 20, 2010
chosen04:

Am i sleeping? Are you trying painting me(everyone) with same brush syndrome on me for my comment and question?

Dont you think i need your help?

What a question from the person who is advocating "CHANGE!"

you are getting me wrong chosen04, when i asked hope all is well with him, i meant it as a greeting not as an insult, if any of my posts offended you then am sorry, hope my apology is accepted?
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by g1(m): 11:07am On Jan 21, 2010
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by Katsumoto: 12:07pm On Jan 21, 2010
g1:

peace out

It is bad to generalise but when an action becomes synonymous with a person or group of people, then it is hard not to generalise. For instance I will never say all muslims are killers because I know that is not true. I know muslims in the south do not go on killing sprees. I can not say the same for muslims in the North. It is always one crises or the in the North. Even inconsequential events in Europe cause problems in the North (cartoon in Denmark). So I can safely generalise about the muslim North.
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by chosen04(f): 12:14pm On Jan 21, 2010
g1:

you are getting me wrong chosen04, when i asked hope all is well with him, i meant it as a greeting not as an insult, if any of my posts offended you then am sorry, hope my apology is accepted?

Remain Blessed!
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by g1(m): 12:19pm On Jan 21, 2010
chosen04:

Remain Blessed!

thanks and may you be blessed too

Katsumoto:

It is bad to generalise but when an action becomes synonymous with a person or group of people, then it is hard not to generalise. For instance I will never say all muslims are killers because I know that is not true. I know muslims in the south do not go on killing sprees. I can not say the same for muslims in the North. It is always one crises or the in the North. Even inconsequential events in Europe cause problems in the North (cartoon in Denmark). So I can safely generalise about the muslim North.

katsumoto thanks for your post, i understand your feelings and position, but are you telling me you have never come in contact with some muslims from the north whom you got along fine with? if yes then dont you think it will be unfair to blast them all?
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by Katsumoto: 12:25pm On Jan 21, 2010
g1:

thanks and may you be blessed too

katsumoto thanks for your post, i understand your feelings and position, but are you telling me you have never come in contact with some muslims from the north whom you got along fine with? if yes then dont you think it will be unfair to blast them all?

I have muslim friends from the North but I believe that they do not engage in mass murders for the following reasons
1. It is difficult for Northern muslims to go on rampage in the South. They are outnumbered
2. The ones I know are very privileged; mass murders are usually committed by Almajiris sent by their affluent masters

Also we can not discount the actions of Nigeria's first international terrorist. A boy from a very privileged background who still wanted to kill innocent human beings on foreign soil.
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by g1(m): 1:44pm On Jan 21, 2010
Katsumoto:

I have muslim friends from the North but I believe that they do not engage in mass murders for the following reasons
1. It is difficult for Northern muslims to go on rampage in the South. They are outnumbered
2. The ones I know are very privileged; mass murders are usually committed by Almajiris sent by their affluent masters

Also we can not discount the actions of Nigeria's first international terrorist. A boy from a very privileged background who still wanted to kill innocent human beings on foreign soil.

katsumoto i like your objective criticisms, at least you agree with me that not all of them are out to kill you!!!
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by Katsumoto: 2:06pm On Jan 21, 2010
g1:

katsumoto i like your objective criticisms, at least you agree with me that not all of them are out to kill you!!!

No they are not; I am a Christian but most of my friends are Muslims. I did not set out to make friends with just Muslims, I just came to that realisation one day. I have my criticisms of Muslims just as I have my criticisms of Christians. Whilst you have Muslims who are willing to be used by their clerics and leaders to commit murders, so you have Christians who will listen blindly to obviously fake pastors. My last comment was just to make a point, it was not intended to cause a digression.
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by g1(m): 2:11pm On Jan 21, 2010
Katsumoto:

No they are not; I am a Christian but most of my friends are Muslims. I did not set out to make friends with just Muslims, I just came to that realisation one day. I have my criticisms of Muslims just as I have my criticisms of Christians. Whilst you have Muslims who are willing to be used by their clerics and leaders to commit murders, so you have Christians who will listen blindly to obviously fake pastors. My last comment was just to make a point, it was not intended to cause a digression.

i feel you my brother, like i said if we continue to have objective criiticisms like yours then maybe we can move forward instaed of painting everyone with the sam brush, may it be well with you brother, takecare
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by Katsumoto: 2:15pm On Jan 21, 2010
g1:

i feel you my brother, like i said if we continue to have objective criiticisms like yours then maybe we can move forward instaed of painting everyone with the sam brush, may it be well with you brother, takecare

Thank you; may it be well with you too.
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by ayinba1(f): 5:34pm On Jan 21, 2010
@Katsumoto,

For someone who was firmly against generalisation, I am sorely disappointed. If the Ibo guy now posts that ONLY Yorubas from Lagos are progressive because he has lived with them, the rest are (whatever expletives he chooses,)you will be one of the first to disagree Or perharps I misunderstood.

The point the OP is making is that we shoul avoid generalisation. A lot of us have been guilty at one point or the other, the fact is;It is a higher level of reasoning to not generalise but it is possible if you try.

And FYI, I have lived in the NORTH, SOUTH, EAST and WEST of Nigeria, your generalisation about Northern muslims is wrong.

Thank you
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by Sunnybobo3(m): 5:45pm On Jan 21, 2010
Katsumoto:

Pray you dont find yourself in the middle of the heat else those friends of yours will be the ones to lead their fellow terrorists to your house.
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by Katsumoto: 6:02pm On Jan 21, 2010
ayinba1:

@Katsumoto,

For someone who was firmly against generalisation, I am sorely disappointed. If the Ibo guy now posts that ONLY Yorubas from Lagos are progressive because he has lived with them, the rest are (whatever expletives he chooses,)you will be one of the first to disagree Or perharps I misunderstood.

The point the OP is making is that we shoul avoid generalisation. A lot of us have been guilty at one point or the other, the fact is;It is a higher level of reasoning to not generalise but it is possible if you try.

And FYI, I have lived in the NORTH, SOUTH, EAST and WEST of Nigeria, your generalisation about Northern muslims is wrong.

Thank you

Ayinba
Thank you for your post.
I know that it is bad to generalise but when life is concerned, it is a different thing. You mention that you have lived in the North at some point; let me ask you a question. Supposing your enemy (hope you understand why I said enemy) or someone in your family was caught up in one of the many disturbances in the North, would you have the same view?

It is unfortunate, but too many lives have been lost in the North through one disturbance or the other. Using the experiences that I have witnessed in my life time, I can reach certain conclusions. If it is not Kaduna, its Bauchi, or Borno, or Jos. When and if, Southern Muslims start murdering fellow Nigerians, then I will conclude that all Muslims are the same. Are you aware that knowledgeable westerners do not categorise Muslims in the South and Muslims in North?

If we are to get rid of this problem, then we must call it what it. It is a Northern Muslim problem. No amount of political correctness can say otherwide. If you read my post again, you will discern that I didn't conclude that all Muslims in the North are guilty. Just the almajiris and the devious political elite who use the culture to their advantage.
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by Katsumoto: 6:04pm On Jan 21, 2010
Sunny_bobo:

Pray you dont find yourself in the middle of the heat else those friends of yours will be the ones to lead their fellow terrorists to your house.

grin grin grin grin grin grin

In lagos, na war be that.
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by citizenY(m): 6:14pm On Jan 21, 2010
@ post

You can never win, the dog will always go back to its vomit.

The seemingly meek ones will disappoint you. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Good effort though.
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by g1(m): 7:13pm On Jan 21, 2010
citizenY:

@ post

You can never win, the dog will always go back to its vomit.

The seemingly meek ones will disappoint you. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Good effort though.

i understand what you mean citizenY, but we cant just give up and continue with our old prejudiced ways, someone has to take a stand, anyway thanks for your input,
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by eyesonyou: 9:00pm On Jan 21, 2010
@OP,

I do agree with you that generalization is not good; however, there is a strong "but" when it comes to
Islam.
Often, we generalize because of our own personal past experiences and through information disseminated to us
by the media.
I tend to see people as they are regardless of color, creed, religion, but I have to admit that Muslims have given
everyone (including me) the opportunity to classify them as violent inclined people.
Granted that poverty and illiteracy play a big role in the indoctrination of the violent Muslims.
Are they are all violent? Of course not! However, does Islam preach love and hate side by side? The answer to
that is a a resounding YES, hence, the generalization by everybody.

There are several religions in the world, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc, and no one classifies their followers as violent.
The reason why Islam is getting a bad rap is because of the rampant act of
violence by SOME of its adherents, and lack of unequivocal condemnation by Islamic leaders across the world
While some do condemn these acts, some flame it. To dispel the characterization
of Muslims as violent, Islamic leaders must speak with one voice.
Re: Painting Everyone With The Same Brush Syndrome by g1(m): 11:06am On Jan 22, 2010
eyesonyou:

@OP,

I tend to see people as they are regardless of color, creed, religion

hi "eyesonyou" that should be the right attitude,

(1) (Reply)

Help With Address Of Motherless Babies In Lagos Engiroment. / Nigerian Attacks Klm Flight In Abuja / Why Africa Needs 'cheetahs,' Not 'hippos'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.