Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,256 members, 7,815,396 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? (1744 Views)

My Friend's Wife Keeps Disturbing Me For Money / Come Share Your Biggest Problem, Challenge Or Source Of Depression! / Help A Friend Out Please!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Nobody: 6:17am On Jun 09, 2017
My childhood friend is slipping away... Fellow Nairalanders help me !
He was among those laid off during last quarter of 2016 by a Bank (name withheld).
Although he has a Livestock Farming he had invested in along the line, but he couldn't just get his mind off the Retrenchment. He is not having it at all.

He become so agitative. Any little argument, he flares up.
He now takes 'sleeping drugs'. Though, I already go to the Pharmacy to warn them never to sell drugs to him again.
He now prefer his own company. And beat up his siblings at the slightest provocation.

He is Igbo and I am Yoruba. We have been suicidal friends since primary school. For the first time in our life he accused me of supporting his Fiance because she is Yoruba. That's because he woke just two days ago and said he is no longer interested in the relationship. The same lady who seriously helped both of us through out University days.
He has stopped going to Church. He said what's the essence of serving a God who allow bad things to happen to good people.

Pls, people this is not my friend ! He is losing it ! He is falling, he is slipping, he is losing his mind !
Worst of all, both of us are introverts. We hardly go out. If we are not at work, We are either with our siblings, our fiance or we are playing Video Game. But all he does now is take sleeping drugs and knock himself all day.

Right now I am so scared. Pls What can I do before he irredeemable gets out of hand ?
He is the one true friend I had all my life. Pls help !

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by whitebeard(m): 6:28am On Jun 09, 2017
Go back to the pharm, get anti-anxiety pills, get him to watch motivational movies (business), hmm..! If that doesn't wait for other suggestions but bia republicans will vex because u are trying to help their brother.

2 Likes

Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Nobody: 6:49am On Jun 09, 2017
whitebeard:
Go back to the pharm, get anti-anxiety pills, get him to watch motivational movies (business), hmm..! If that doesn't wait for other suggestions but bia republicans will vex because u are trying to help their brother.

Drugs again ? No way sir. Drugs seems to be worsening the situation.
Back in the university days, he was a motivational speaker himself. He literally talked me to graduate with a first class.
So I don't how to bring down his guards with motivational stuffs.

Pls and pls edit ur post. Do not turn this thread into one of those childish ethnic nonsense. Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Nobody: 6:52am On Jun 09, 2017
Lalasticlala Mynd44 pls help me get this to experienced Nairalanders
Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Tobiloba84: 7:10am On Jun 09, 2017
Dear O. P, often times we enjoy life's sweetness that we forget its all about up and down, he had his good times he enjoyed it, now seem to be the bad time (which wont last) , he is failing to endure. I dont think he has the worse situation on Earth, he graduated and got a job, there are more brilliant heads and minds still struggling to feed at the moment let alone get a job. Did I see something like he has a livestock business, let him booast it any way he can and become totally independent, after all that is what almost everyone wishes for. Remind your friend, tough situation doesnt last. All the best

3 Likes

Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by whitebeard(m): 7:43am On Jun 09, 2017
On a more serious note he needs drugs with cinnerizine in it, like stugeron, diznil, it would reduce his bp, and stress level in turn making him relaxed, and u can start the motivation from there. But not immediately, give it time, or u might be surprised he can even change himself,

This drugs are not sleeping pills but when he gets relaxed his body is open to his mind, if the decides to sleep he would fall asleep at his own will.
Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Nobody: 7:54am On Jun 09, 2017
Tobiloba84:
Dear O. P, often times we enjoy life's sweetness that we forget its all about up and down, he had his good times he enjoyed it, now seem to be the bad time (which wont last) , he is failing to endure. I dont think he has the worse situation on Earth, he graduated and got a job, there are more brilliant heads and minds still struggling to feed at the moment let alone get a job. Did I see something like he has a livestock business, let him booast it any way he can and become totally independent, after all that is what almost everyone wishes for. Remind your friend, tough situation doesnt last. All the best

Thank you sir. His mum and I are doing just this. We will do more. Thanks again bro
Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Yoyostic: 4:05pm On Jun 09, 2017
Not easy o,especially the fact that u are both introverts.Just dont give up on him and keep showing him love.
Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jun 09, 2017
Introversion is really a deep thing

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by RoyalBlak007: 6:05pm On Jun 09, 2017
He needs a Vacation
Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by eyinjuege: 7:57pm On Jun 09, 2017
It may be a good idea for him to see a psychotherapist.

Look for one, and let him have some sessions.

That may just help him a bit
Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by damiplovR(f): 9:35pm On Jun 09, 2017
If he's on Instagram he can talk to @e__counsel he won't regret
Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jun 09, 2017
Your friend sleeps a lot because he is exhausted. He needs some rest.
And then he needs to be reminded that life is supposed to be good for him.

It is a matter of good timing between the two.

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Jun 09, 2017
Tobiloba84:

That's the spirit! I like it!

Life is all about ups and downs. We need to know how to ride the waves and understand that food tastes better when we are hungry.
Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by DarkRebel69: 11:06pm On Jun 09, 2017
Tell your friend to follow these steps and I'm sure he'd feel a lot better.

Step one: Visit www.google.com

Step two: Type in the problem or difficulty he's facing in the search box i.e. “depression caused by job loss”.

Step three: Sit back – grab a can of soda if he wants – and watch Google reel out results of thousands of similar cases.

There's a sense of relief and strength in collective suffering as opposed to when we bear the weight of a problem on our own. Remember how less felt the impact of failure was back in school when we realized that almost everyone in class failed a particular course and not just us? Same applies here. No problem is new under the sun. We draw strength from the knowledge that many people have gone through what we are facing, and that even many more are still battling with the problem.

2 Likes

Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by DarkRebel69: 11:15pm On Jun 09, 2017
Mindfulness:

That's the spirit! I like it!

Life is all about ups and downs. We need to know how to ride the waves and understand that food tastes better when we are hungry.

Intrepid

Moors
Invaded
Switzerland
Shores

Youthful
Old
Unicorns

Lived
In
Nathaniel's
Demented
Aunty

wink

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Nobody: 9:30am On Jun 10, 2017
DarkRebel69:

Intrepid

Moors
Invaded
Switzerland
Shores

Youthful
Old
Unicorns

Lived
In
Nathaniel's
Demented
Aunty

wink

smiley kiss

Good to see you around.

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by ststyreal(f): 5:53pm On Jun 10, 2017
abiodunalasa:

Drugs again ? No way sir. Drugs seems to be worsening the situation.
Back in the university days, he was a motivational speaker himself. He literally talked me to graduate with a first class.
So I don't how to bring down his guards with motivational stuffs.

Pls and pls edit ur post. Do not turn this thread into one of those childish ethnic nonsense. Thanks.
Thank you o jareeee!!! I am impressed with your last warning to that tribal being that thinks with hatred all the time.

1 Like

Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Deeboiy: 8:01pm On Jun 10, 2017
[quote author=abiodunalasa post=57336560]My childhood friend is slipping away... Fellow Nairalanders help me !
He was among those laid off during last quarter of 2016 by a Bank (name withheld).
Although he has a Livestock Farming he had invested in along the line, but he couldn't just get his mind off the Retrenchment. He is not having it at all.

He become so agitative. Any little argument, he flares up.
He now takes 'sleeping drugs'. Though, I already go to the Pharmacy to warn them never to sell drugs to him again.
He now prefer his own company. And beat up his siblings at the slightest provocation.

He is Igbo and I am Yoruba. We have been suicidal friends since primary school. For the first time in our life he accused me of supporting his Fiance because she is Yoruba. That's because he woke just two days ago and said he is no longer interested in the relationship. The same lady who seriously helped both of us through out University days.
He has stopped going to Church. He said what's the essence of serving a God who allow bad things to happen to good people.

Pls, people this is not my friend ! He is losing it ! He is falling, he is slipping, he is losing his mind !
Worst of all, both of us are introverts. We hardly go out. If we are not at work, We are either with our siblings, our fiance or we are playing Video Game. But all he does now is take sleeping drugs and knock himself all day.

Right now I am so scared. Pls What can I do before he irredeemable gets out of hand ?
He is the one true friend I had all my life. Pls help ! [/quote.speak to him in anger punch him if need be, most men don't respond to peaceful motivation, so use force in reminding him wat u have all been through.
Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jun 10, 2017
[quote author=Deeboiy post=57394193][/quote]

How's that pls
Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jun 10, 2017
ststyreal:

Thank you o jareeee!!! I am impressed with your last warning to that tribal being that thinks with hatred all the time.
wink
Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Rukkydelta(f): 9:12pm On Jun 10, 2017
Hmmm
Don't have anything to say but I think what your friend needs now is a therapist and you should also pray for him
May God help him
Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Erums(m): 3:14pm On Jun 11, 2017
I tink hes just over reacting.... The truth is, hes not the only one retrenched.... He shud brace up and walk again
Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jun 11, 2017
abiodunalasa:
Lalasticlala Mynd44 pls help me get this to experienced Nairalanders
He needs something to revive the fight in him.. That spark in his life is going out, its left for you to figure out what could reignite that flame. Maybe u could help him get anoda job. Getting him a puppy could help
Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jun 11, 2017
Erums:
I tink hes just over reacting.... The truth is, hes not the only one retrenched.... He shud brace up and walk again
Not everyone is that emotionally strong. In the USA, d guy would b in therapy by now.
Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Erums(m): 3:54pm On Jun 11, 2017
Nma27:
Not everyone is that emotionally strong. In the USA, d guy would b in therapy by now.

Dats true, bt hes in naija i guess... The conditions re different
Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by obiaguna(m): 10:43am On Jun 12, 2017
Not Everyone would understand what that person is going through. It comes from a place of emptiness, nothing to hope or look forward to now, sadness and all. You wake up each day without having anything to smile about. Nothing makes sense anymore. Its really not easy coming out of this i tell you but i believe in prayers and faith that with time all will br well. Im going through that phase now and i try as much as i can to not misbehave . I just pray quietly for inner mental strength and ask God to send new opportunities my way. Your friend should be lucky he has you and his gf. Advise him to give his business one more shot and believe in himself again. If i had funds to start a business now im sure i would be less sad and more hopeful só let your friend make the best of his situation. Cheers.
Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by jashar(f): 4:48pm On Jun 12, 2017
Pray for and with him... he needs Counselling alongside...

he even has side biz sef.... that's a start....

if other people open their mouths to talk ehn... he will start jumping upandan rejoicing....

but then, people can fall into a funk every once in awhile...
Re: Please How Do I Get My Friend Out Of Depression ? by Deeboiy: 6:23pm On Jun 13, 2017
abiodunalasa:

How's that pls
be forceful, you definitely feel some kind of anger and Love use them both. probably cry too.

(1) (Reply)

Babysitter Transported To Hospital After Inserting A Baby In Her Vagina / What! Nigerian Couples Goes Viral After Nude Maternity Phtotoshoot. Photos / This Is How We Are Encouraging Rape Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.