Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,878 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:17 PM

Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election (44786 Views)

British Govt. Swears In Nigerian Woman Who Wins UK Parliament Election / Kelechi Anyikude Honoured By UK Parliament, Amara Kanu Supports Him / Seven Nigerians Make List Of 20 Richest Pastors In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by RobbStark(m): 11:05pm On Jun 09, 2017
I am waiting for the Common Sense Senator to tweet or say something about this development, then I will comment.
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by vinchee: 11:06pm On Jun 09, 2017
Naija get people sha no matter the narrative out there.
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by Jasomine: 11:20pm On Jun 09, 2017
I am waiting for the day when an igbo man will be elected as a member of Katsina state house of assembly.

1 Like

Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by raphy(m): 11:21pm On Jun 09, 2017
nigeriqns make half of the population in UK.am not surprise. as I see some look half cast .and are British citizen now.anyway congratulations to them.its turn by turn so maybe someday will also join them as an European citizenn who knws.will still help to develop my country. mother land
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by Larrykaysail(m): 11:22pm On Jun 09, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
Igbos making Naija proud.

God bless Nigeria Biafra

Now I understand the Hausa's grudge...not one of them on this list.
.... Apan na only igbo they there , BiafRat.
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jun 09, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
Igbos making Naija proud.

God bless Nigeria Biafra

Now I understand the Hausa's grudge...not one of them on this list.
UK people are not munmun now.
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jun 09, 2017
Jasomine:
I am waiting for the day when an igbo man will be elected as a member of Katsina state house of assembly.
you wan start war be that
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by AlanTuringAI: 11:28pm On Jun 09, 2017
ekems2017:
It didnt come as a suprise to me cos about 60% of those living in UK are blacks Congrats to them and don't behave like our politicians over here.
Have you lived in the UK before to come up with this false statistics. The percentage of blacks in the UK is even less than 5%. Infact there are more Asians or people of Asian heritage in the UK than blacks. Please research on stuffs before you make spurious claims in a public forum like this.

2 Likes

Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by AlanTuringAI: 11:33pm On Jun 09, 2017
GODKID98:
Here in Nigeria, you can't run for the post of a chairman without being from that local government nd expect to win
Don't say what you don't know. It has happened in Lagos and still happening. We've had someone from the Niger Delta as a chairman of an LG in Lagos. Currently there are three Igbo folks in the House of Representatives from Lagos constituencies- Amudo Odofin, Oshodi/Isolo and Ajeromi/Ifelodun. But I agree that cannot happen in other parts of the country.

1 Like

Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by tope56(m): 11:39pm On Jun 09, 2017
UK is extension of Nigeria. if you watch U20 World cup, 7 of the first team of England is Nigeria. even if we don't qualify for U20 world cup, at least we are represented by England.
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by Solumtoonna(m): 12:08am On Jun 10, 2017
instinctg:
Seven candidates of Nigerian heritage have been elected into the United Kingdom parliament in the election held on Thursday.

The winners are; Chuka Umunna representing Streatham; Bim Afolami,Hitchin and Harpenden; Fiona Onasanya, Peterborough; Chi Onwurah, Newcastle; Kate Osamor, Edmonton ;Kemi Badenock, Saffron Walden and Helen Grant, Maidstone and The Weald.

A UK based Human Capital Development Strategist, Dayo Olomu congratulated the winners in a facebook post on Friday.

http://thenationonlineng.net/seven-nigerians-win-u-k-parliament-election/
in other news, Hausa/Fulani herdsmen are in the middle-belt destroying lives and property
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by bwise4godfwc: 12:08am On Jun 10, 2017
Just Imagine, No single Northerners on d list comparing dia huge but empty skull population dey possess...
Only d Southerners... If not dat Afonja's are sabottours , Southern Nigeria would ve being great...

1 Like

Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by DaPuncline: 12:30am On Jun 10, 2017
Jasomine:
Let wait for when one sule adamu will be elected as a member of anambra house of Assembly.

2 Likes

Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by DaPuncline: 12:34am On Jun 10, 2017
bwise4godfwc:
Just Imagine, No single Northerners on d list comparing dia huge but empty skull population dey possess...
Only d Southerners... If not dat Afonja's are sabottours , Southern Nigeria would ve being great...
"sabottours".

It is well. a product of baby factory would always display his foolishness, stupidity and barbarism.

2 Likes

Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by Eluwilussit(m): 12:49am On Jun 10, 2017
BigBelleControl:
They're not Nigerians, they are Britons of Nigerian descents.

What of the two Michaels that butchered that soldier some years back? Were they not referred to as british born Nigerians? When our dear Anthony Joshua was caught with weed, he also became British born Nigerian. As soon as he won the Olympic gold, there has never been any mention of nigeria near his name. Hypocrisy. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by banmee(m): 1:52am On Jun 10, 2017
shine12:

I get your point and I often get into the they are "Nigerians or not" conversation. To me they are Nigerians and at the same time British.

Nigeria is their heritage.

Which doesn't me shiit.
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by banmee(m): 1:53am On Jun 10, 2017
Babachukwu:
Why is it that our Northern brothers hardly perform well internationally

How will that impact your lives? You all seem to forget that these guys are using their intellect to develop another country. And rightly so. Only a foool would waste his/her talent on Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by reiddecuti: 2:37am On Jun 10, 2017
Dhayor001:
Sigh.

Young Nigerians doing it big everywhere but in Nigeria
But in 9ja, e be like SHIT!!!
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by paradice: 2:51am On Jun 10, 2017
These are not Nigerian. You may say Nigerian Names!
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by Adyss: 2:53am On Jun 10, 2017
Doing that is like inviting death for dinner
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by totorimi: 3:13am On Jun 10, 2017
As usual no hausa/fulani in the list they are claiming power...

1 Like

Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by isnovic(m): 4:08am On Jun 10, 2017
BigBelleControl:
They're not Nigerians, they are Britons of Nigerian descents.

More like British Nigerian.
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by Maghan37: 4:32am On Jun 10, 2017
deedeedeee2:
What is it to celebrate in this? Has this brought good roads, electricity, good education, good health care system to this country?
When Obama became president of U.S.A, how did it benefit the average man in kenya?
To be sincere, i really dont know what it is to celebrate in this.
Ilu yii gan sef!!!
It is meant to make u believe DAT no matter d obstacles u encounter in life u can still achieve ur dreams

1 Like

Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by Bakrabas: 5:28am On Jun 10, 2017
Yes I think it call for celebration, at least it will change the notion of some people who believe that all Nigerians are criminals abroad.

When you get there emulate those people and try to be part of those that will retrieve the lost glory of our dearest dying nation

deedeedeee2:
What is it to celebrate in this? Has this brought good roads, electricity, good education, good health care system to this country?
When Obama became president of U.S.A, how did it benefit the average man in kenya?
To be sincere, i really dont know what it is to celebrate in this.
Ilu yii gan sef!!!
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by Adek15(m): 5:35am On Jun 10, 2017
Wiseoldman:

Because IPOB is the name of a registered (I hope) self determination group and Afonja is actually a name people have till today. The original Afonja was a Yoruba war general of ancient time that fought over 28 wars. He became so powerful that he hatched a plan to annex a part of the Yoruba empire (Ilorin, a town in Kwara State of the present Nigeria). To do this he partnered with a foreign country...He was eventually betrayed they the foreign nation (Fulanis). Thus you have a mix of Fulanis and Yoruba in Ilorin till today.
and who says name/moniker of a person isn't heavenly.. You're indeed a wise old man
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by Jaqenhghar: 5:57am On Jun 10, 2017
banmee:

How will that impact your lives? You all seem to forget that these guys are using their intellect to develop another country. And rightly so. Only a foool would waste his/her talent on Nigeria.

Truth is Nigeria has no plans for its citizens. As a whole the country wont know what to do with talent even of all the talented indivoduals come back. The best they can do is give them one government job with lots of money but no plan to utilize those talents
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by Jaqenhghar: 5:59am On Jun 10, 2017
Babachukwu:
Why is it that our Northern brothers hardly perform well internationally
Question is how many northerners do you know?
I know a lot of them doing well abroad.
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by Jaqenhghar: 6:04am On Jun 10, 2017
shine12:

I get your point and I often get into the they are "Nigerians or not" conversation. To me they are Nigerians and at the same time British.

Nigeria is their heritage.

Which dirty heritage.
Please you guys should wake up. If I choose to be an American and I have all the qualifications for being an american I will call myself an American. I have no obligation towards Nigeria nor care to be referred to as one

1 Like

Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by Nobody: 6:20am On Jun 10, 2017
AreaFada2:

But still, they carry 9ja torch brighter than most ugwu or ewedu-eating locally based Nigerians. grin grin cheesy cheesy

Those who do well are mostly those who grew up with the never-say-die determined attitude of their 9ja parents.

It takes resilience and proper adjustment to an environment where you are of minority ethnicity to navigate the system.

If you have suck kids, you will know that if you raise them to be proud of their heritage, they will be first to shout their "Nigerianness", while immigrants Lukmon & Chinedu are busy faking accent to mask their own.

That's not my problem with the topic. My problem is acting as if Nigeria ever did sth for these people. Nigeria has failed its youth so no need pretending that they would have the same chance if they were in Nigeria. It's the British society which made them who they are today not the Nigerian!

Besides most of them are women, how many women are into politics in Nigeria. When they have already been drilled into that marriage is the number 1 goal every woman should achieve. It's more likely to hear Nigerians shut a woman up if she talks about politics because of the "what does she know" mentality.

Everyday I see British or Americans with Nigerian heritage doing great but then Nigerians acting like they achieved those goals BECAUSE they are "Nigerians"

2 Likes

Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by abbeyty(m): 6:56am On Jun 10, 2017
danjumakolo:

lol the Hausa's do not detest or forget their mother land and leave to go and settle in another mans land..its like not having faith in your motherland so much that you want to go and even migrate to live in another mans land and become their slave.

How many Britons, Americans,or any foreigner do u see coming to settle or even to contest here?

If these Nigerians tell u the daily insults they get in terms of racism,u will b amazed

you make a lot of sense my Brother. God bless you

2 Likes

Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by AreaFada2: 7:07am On Jun 10, 2017
lovelygurl:

That's not my problem with the topic. My problem is acting as if Nigeria ever did sth for these people. Nigeria has failed its youth so no need pretending that they would have the same chance if they were in Nigeria. It's the British society which made them who they are today not the Nigerian!

Besides most of them are women, how many women are into politics in Nigeria. When they have already been drilled into that marriage is the number 1 goal every woman should achieve. It's more likely to hear Nigerians shut a woman up if she talks about politics because of the "what does she know" mentality.

Everyday I see British or Americans with Nigerian heritage doing great but then Nigerians acting like they achieved those goals BECAUSE they are "Nigerians"
I understand your point. Actually the reason why Western societies began to progress visionary leaders began to ask themselves what they can do for their country, not what they can get from it. With time the society began to benefit everybody.

Their heritage played a big part in it. Their parents knowing fully well that you must fight hard, passed that mentality on.

Considering the high level of education among UK women, 200 female MPs out of 650 is not that high in my opinion. This is a parliament that is centuries old.
Just maybe the diaspora 9ja doing well increasingly will finally make youths understand that our system as it is run us the problem. And maybe start to wake up.
Re: Seven Nigerians Win U.K Parliament Election by ephi321(f): 7:08am On Jun 10, 2017
danjumakolo:

lol the Hausa's do not detest or forget their mother land and leave to go and settle in another mans land..its like not having faith in your motherland so much that you want to go and even migrate to live in another mans land and become their slave.

How many Britons, Americans,or any foreigner do u see coming to settle or even to contest here?

If these Nigerians tell u the daily insults they get in terms of racism,u will b amazed

Why should a Briton or American come to settle in a country where even the president has to travel overseas for medical needs?

These people on the list simply have what it takes to compete on a global level, they have been educated and equipped to stand shoulder to shoulder with any Brit or American, it has nothing to do with detesting their motherland. Let's not get it twisted.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Obaseki: Oshiomhole Is Afraid Of Educated People Because He Didn’t Go To School / Senator Ahmed Yerima Replies His Critics / Burial Of Hassan Ahmed, Army General Who Was Murdered In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.