Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,786 members, 7,810,050 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:22 PM

The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police - Crime (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police (87067 Views)

Imo Police Kill Martins Nwoke, Dismissed Sergeant In Gun Battle Over Kidnapping / He Only Pretended To Be Dead - Police Reacts To Report Of Killing Bus Driver / Zenith Bank Robbery; "Why Brave Policeman Had To Run Away During Shootout". PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by Fredrichnnamani: 3:10pm On Jun 10, 2017
The police man tried his best to gun them down but through the video you will understand that those armed robbers had anti-bullet charms
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by enomakos(m): 3:12pm On Jun 10, 2017
sukkot:
my question is why did he leave the vantage point and cover of that room he was where he had an advantage ? he is brave but he is stupid also. RIP tho. he had the advantage when he was in that room and he had cover but he chose to run out and then got shot.

when he was in that room anyone who walks up to the room is at a disadvantage as you saw when the robber walked up to the room and got shot and killed by him.
he was out of bullet
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by BonetEzra(m): 3:25pm On Jun 10, 2017
God bless your brave soul!
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by judgedredd22(m): 3:36pm On Jun 10, 2017
Fredrichnnamani:
The police man tried his best to gun them down but through the video you will understand that those armed robbers had anti-bullet charms

Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by RaptorX: 3:45pm On Jun 10, 2017
logica:
My guy, if you know about guns, you will know that they are not locally made. Those are AK47s. Even if they are old, they are still as effective as they were maybe 30 to 50 years ago when they were manufactured. In fact that's one of the selling points of the AK47 - durability. Please read more about it. Nobody can make a gun capable of firing semiautomatic or automatic locally. Observe the video and see shots being fired rapidly (automatic mode).
I don't know where the guy got the idea that AK 47's are manufactured locally.

1 Like

Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by delpee(f): 4:02pm On Jun 10, 2017
Awww! Sad to find out that he died.

Other states should emulate Lagos. The security officers are insured such that their families get substantial sums if they die in action like this great Sergeant. One hopes his family isn't suffering. May God rest his soul in perfect peace.
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by deluxeT(m): 4:03pm On Jun 10, 2017
sukkot:
my question is why did he leave the vantage point and cover of that room he was where he had an advantage ? he is brave but he is stupid also. RIP tho. he had the advantage when he was in that room and he had cover but he chose to run out and then got shot.

when he was in that room anyone who walks up to the room is at a disadvantage as you saw when the robber walked up to the room and got shot and killed by him.

enomakos:
he was out of bullet

Respect to the gallant Mopol

He was simply outnumbered, so nothing like vantage point. imagine someone aiming from the window and another from the door, so he had to anticipate that scenario and fire his way to safety.

THE ONLY BAD DECISION I SAW WAS TURNING YOUR BACK TO THE LINE OF FIRE,

You give your opponent undue advantage.

Rule no.1

Never you turn your back to your opponent.

If he had decided to stay there, he would have been brutally butchered by those animals.

apart from the soldiers, a regular police officer carries a riffle with single magazine

and the common magazine we see for AK47 which is a 5.56×45mm NATO rifle cartridge, Draft Standardization Agreement (STANAG) 4179 magazine carries between 20 and 30 rounds.

From the video, it seems those goats came with double magazines.

The odds were seriously against him.

ONLY A MARINE COULD HAVE SURVIVED THAT, because he would create distractions for them.

R. I. P

THE GALLANT HERO.

CHUKWUDI IBOKO.
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jun 10, 2017
nkemdi89:
The man died that same day at FMC and not two months later, and he has since being buried. He has a wife and family too.

Thanks Nkem for letting us know jare.. Jesus...God help us in this wicked world..
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jun 10, 2017
imam07:
Many people that watched the video clip have eyes but can't see.This is my guess,The cop left the security room because he discovered those guys were with jazz and his bullet could not penetrate those guys in the car. It will be dangerous for him to remain there because all the armed robbers could later descend on him so he had to ran out. The cop was so lucky the jazz failed the guy he shot dead.
And for those people saying AK47 riffle is not the right gun for the police. Which kind gun do u want them to use. Do u want them to be using the type they use in Terminator movie. The only thing I saw is the armed robbers had enough magazines attached to their gun.
And if we all assume the cop took a wrong step, let first put ourselves in his shoe and in that kind of situation.
Those customers I saw in that video should give testimony in their church if they watch the video. Especially the gate man and the man that came out first from the security house before the robbers arrived.

Nice one..cause iv been thinking cause i know he shot at the guys in the back seat through the mirror but wonder why there were intact
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jun 10, 2017
sukkot:
OK so many people replied me and I will not spam the thread replying everyone but hopefully everyone who replied me can read this. I say this not out of arrogance but out of FACTS. there is something about living abroad for a while that opens up all your faculties of reasoning. You think better than someone who has never left africa. now if i have never left africa, my sense of reasoning will probably be like that of the police officer and most of the people replying me. things we africans do are usually exagerrated and irrational. our actions and thoughts are irrational BUT we think it is normal because we dont know any other way. I would have done the same thing the officer did if I have never stepped out of nigeria because the thinking capacity is limited. having lived abroad and having a more expanded thinking facility, i see a car pull up, i am behind a cover of cement walls and the assailants have no cover at all. I am at an advantage ALL DAY EVERYDAY. I CANT LOSE with this level of advantage I have. all I have to do is preserve my life by making sure no one comes through that door and keep my gun aimed and ready to fire if anyone comes through. all the while i am calling for backup. IT IS NOT YOUR JOB TO TRY AND ENGAGE 4 ARMED ROBBERS AT COMBAT. THE BANK DOES NOT PAY YOU ENOUGH TO DO THAT. WHAT THEY PAY YOU FOR IS TO BE A DETERRENT AND IF IN ANY CASE YOU ARE AT AN ADVANTAGE THEN YOU CAN ENGAGE THE THIEVES IF IT IS ONLY ONE WHO IS UNARMED. SO BY DOING WHAT HE DID HE ENDANGERED THE LIFE OF EVERYBODY AROUND HIM INCLUDING THE CUSTOMERS BY TAKING ON 4 ARMED MEN AND GETTING THEM EVEN MORE AGITATED. point being ? they dont pay you enough to risk ya life for 50,000 naira a year. this action he took if he was in england or america he would be fired from the police job for endangering the lives of the customers.

sucess001 LordOfNaira naturalwaves imam07 doctokwus Coolgent EgunMogaji

I concur, but Sir could you educate me what you would do if one armed robber approached the door and you shot and your bullets had no effects on him...how about this?
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by Unimaginable123: 6:41pm On Jun 10, 2017
sukkot:
and this is why you cant be a police officer because your sense of observation is not astute. from a quick observation there is a getaway driver, and an unarmed guy, and only two are armed and one of the armed guy is not paying attention to him. he had the cover of a cement building while the two armed guys had no cover. he had absolutely no reason to leave his post. its poor training and too much adrenaline that caused him to mess up and endanger his life
he truly had no reason to leave that post. Fear. And why didn't he shoot that driver that's near him and unarmed? Why didn't he shoot at the tyres and immobilise the vehicle?
Why are our police force so poorly trained? There were 3 trained police officers in that post. They would have been able to finish off the robbers without wasting much bullets
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by Unimaginable123: 6:44pm On Jun 10, 2017
royalfly:

the door to that room is made of wood.. with the kind of weapon the thieves had they would have killed him wella by spraying the door.. he tried a little bit of patience and timing he would have killed them all but in such situations nothing is certain except u re trained by the american navy seal. God wish he made it.
but before they can even kill him in there, he would have killed at least 3 of them.
Remember there were 2 other armed policemen in that post as we were told
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by Ipfreely: 6:49pm On Jun 10, 2017
SMH. All of this analysis and second guessing an Officer who had a few seconds to make life or death, split second decisions.
The benefit of hindsight is always wonderful. Just don't presume to think you'd react better than the Officer. That would be hubris.
That's not to say that there are no merits or demerits in all of this back and forth, simply pointing out that this was a rapidly evolving situation which required decisions to be made.
Whether they were the right ones is not for our armchair commentary and critique to decide.

2 Likes

Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by DrogoG(m): 6:58pm On Jun 10, 2017
Lack of good training killed the policeman. He made a terrible mistake by running out from the gate room! It exposed him to barrage of bullets. He feed himself to the robbers.

A well trained policeman would have taken cover there in that gate room after killing the first guy, others wouldn't venture to come in, and he would have killed more of them!

1 Like

Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by kwyllancy: 7:17pm On Jun 10, 2017
From the sergeant's he is from Izzi in Abakaliki Ebonyi State. The 'Iboko' is exclusive to them. Rest in peace brother.
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by kwyllancy: 7:18pm On Jun 10, 2017
From the sergeant's he is from Izzi in Abakaliki Ebonyi State. The name 'Iboko' is exclusive to them. Rest in peace brother.
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by Josephamstrong1(m): 7:58pm On Jun 10, 2017
sukkot:

Exactly!
He isn't well trained.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by nkemdi89(f): 8:10pm On Jun 10, 2017
connectpoint:

Thanks Nkem for letting us know jare.. Jesus...God help us in this wicked world..
You always welcome.
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by imam07: 8:11pm On Jun 10, 2017
The truth is that i have not been to Oweri b4 but the action of d guy that ran after the cop shows it should be a tight corner.Luckily i saw the background picture on the internet to show i was right. See the picture below.
vimi:

IF your live in Owerri, please authenticate your statement with a pictorial evidence. I'm curious to know the outlook of where he ran to since the CCTV didn't capture.

Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by Contactibro(m): 8:26pm On Jun 10, 2017
good evening ladies and gentlemen I just want to shad more light on dis story
1.i really commend this policeman courage 2.he is in a very good position to get all the robbers..
3.he should ave observed them first counted how many they were before he engages them from his cover I bet u if he did all dis he will over power dem In a fire fight it's nt all d tym u need much ammo all u need is to think and act in between secs..
that my take from the experience I ave from the NA..
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by imam07: 8:26pm On Jun 10, 2017
Too much of watching movies is affecting our reasoning on this video. You should all know that acting is totally different from real and live scene.Those that are blaming the cop from coming out of the room,i believe if u are in his shoe,the gun will even drop from ur hand.

1 Like

Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by Josephamstrong1(m): 8:31pm On Jun 10, 2017
doctokwus:

He didn't av any advantage staying in that room any longer after shooting that robber dead.
He wud av been outgunned and "outbulletted"(pardon my English) in a confined space as that.
D guy sitted at d back of d car that shot him was either a former military/policeman or a very experienced robber because if u play back u wud notice 2 things:
(1)He was d one that used his gun butt to shatter d glass to create a wide and good view to fire from.
(2)D same guy soon as he saw shots ring out from d police post didn't panick or rush out,as his dead colleague, but just laid almost flat on d backseat to avoid any bullet & being sited,waiting for d right moment,as if he knew d mopol wud come out.It takes an experienced person in d gun battle biz to be that calculative and calm,even wen u see ur fellow robber gunned down.
So mopol Igboko was right to leave that almost suicidal security room,dont forget also he cudnt av known it was just one other robber and an experienced one at that,that was confronting him,hence his sporadic shots just to create a cover.I assume he assumed they were more than one in d car blazing with guns so he had to find an escape route which was d best choice he felt he had in that life or death scenario.

See none of the robbers are experienced. They only came to obtain not to rob a bank. They followed the intro and exit obtainance plan.
The G seated at the back seat... Is that the way to aim? They weren't expecting to be engaged.
As for the security man. The reason he escaped was because of no automated AK short gun pistol . Or The AK magazines wasn't loaded wt much bullets. You can't be trained and have 20, 30, 40 and 75 round AK and won't take cover in that room to gone down the 4 inexperienced obtainers.
It's really a pity shaa. embarassed
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by imam07: 8:42pm On Jun 10, 2017
My guy u are funny. Observe wetin.To observe weather or u think nah toy gun dey their hand.No talk that thing again oo
Contactibro:
good evening ladies and gentlemen I just want to shad more light on dis story
1.i really commend this policeman courage 2.he is in a very good position to get all the robbers..
3.he should ave observed them first counted how many they were before he engages them from his cover I bet u if he did all dis he will over power dem In a fire fight it's nt all d tym u need much ammo all u need is to think and act in between secs..
that my take from the experience I ave from the NA..
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by chris31(m): 8:52pm On Jun 10, 2017
akpamuomenka:
Sergeant Chukwudi Iboko.

NCAN take note.
Cant u stop that madness for once we are talking about the bravest Nigerian force man we all saw with our eyes not d ones media and papers made us to believe he deserve all the respect he is a hero

1 Like

Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by ozo13(m): 8:55pm On Jun 10, 2017
Onyochejohn:
op is a lier, the man return fire till those baastard left, if not op should back it up with pix evidence . Our prayers are with that police man, I wish him well not dearth Pls
if na oyinbo land.e sure for me say with d one dey gun down, d odas won't last 3days before dey r nabbed.dr is even a video footage.na dat very day dey go reveal dr identity
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jun 10, 2017
Ishilove:

Are you a military personnel? You are romanticising recklessness

I don't think Egun Mogaji is romanticising recklessness.. What I could infer from his arguments is that if you paid to protect your citizen, no matter how little you paid, you have 2 options; you either do it with all your heart or don't do it at all....

The culture of half-measures is pervasive in Nigeria and we ought to do away with it in order to move the country forward.

1 Like

Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by femolala001(m): 9:13pm On Jun 10, 2017
I just saw the video again. It seems d thieves were already around d bank before the honda car came in. They reversed d car as soon as d honda car came in.

It is apparent that they came for d pple in the honda car as they didnt enter d banking hall. Report also indicated that one of d person in d honda car was killed.

And if u observe, a guy just left d security post and stayed at the gate. That guy will be vey thankful after seeing the video.

1 Like

Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by OAUTemitayo: 9:29pm On Jun 10, 2017
sukkot:

Internet commando.
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jun 10, 2017
I watched the video and thoroughly read all the comments that preceded mine... Most of us forgot one thing; we saw the event from a vantage point and in the comfort of our rooms without the duress or adrenaline Officer Iboko went through. It therefore means we all expert in this situation. lol

One thing is certain, Officer Iboko was a BRAVE man and he went down fighting, and I'm happy most of us acknowledged his bravery but going forward, I hope lessons are learnt. Lessons like;

1) Police officers guarding banks shouldn't always be clustered in 1 area, they always ought to be in different strategic positions with rifles, body armour and pistols ( in case they run out of bullets).

2) Officer Iboko ran out of the building not well kitted for the job he was assigned to do. He was probably wearing flip-flops and probably had zero backups.

3) Why are customers allowed to park in front of banks when there can be designated parking areas for customers?

4) CBN has to vigorously push the cashless policy agenda through. If customers are coming less frequently to deposit money, CBN wins, ( they print less cash, thereby saving money), banks win( less customers to deal with, less staff required), and Nigerians feel safer.
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by Philistine(m): 9:41pm On Jun 10, 2017
Re: The Brave Sergeant In The Zenith Bank Robbery Video Is Dead - Police by zicoy6k: 10:20pm On Jun 10, 2017
vimi:

IF your live in Owerri, please authenticate your statement with a pictorial evidence. I'm curious to know the outlook of where he ran to since the CCTV didn't capture.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Lady Found Pictures Of Herself In A Bottle In Her Friend's Closet (Photos) / Woman Allegedly Killed By Her Husband's Brothers...they Butchered Her [G.PHOTOS] / Yahoo Boy Eats Feces In Warri While Doing The New Yahoo Plus. Photos, Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.