Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,000 members, 7,810,786 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:24 PM

Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down (7372 Views)

Let Me Help You Create A Pitch Deck / How Long Does It Take To Deliver Items On Aliexpress? / Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down (pt 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by atorioke(m): 6:46am On Jun 10, 2017
​……by Strive Masiyiwa

TITLE: 4 Tips on How to Deliver a Pitch Investors Simply Can’t Turn Down

Be laser-focused.

Many of you asked me this week to say a bit more about “pitching,” including what the word really means. For an entrepreneur, a “pitch” is what you say and present to potential investors to market yourself, your idea and your business concept — not just to inspire them to invest, but to rush to be first in the queue!

Today though, in response to your requests, let me share the first of three parts of an excellent article from Entrepreneur magazine, written by Neil Patel, a young entrepreneur who gave me permission to republish it (remember the importance of intellectual property). It’s called: “13 Tips on How to Deliver a Pitch Investors Simply Can’t Turn Down.” Today I’ll share #1 thru #4.

It’s going to be decided by the PREPARATIONS you make in the months and weeks leading up to that pitch.

In his article, Neil writes:

“Your pitch is the single thing that could either get your business off the ground or plunge your idea into eternal oblivion. It matters.

The rule of thumb for investors is that for every 100 investments they make, only 10 will go big.

Let me take that rule of thumb a step further. For every 1,000 pitches an investor hears, he or she will fund only 100 of them. Statistically, the odds for success are not great. You can beat the statistics, however, by crafting a pitch that turns heads and gets funded.

What are the ingredients of an ultra-compelling, irresistible, outstanding, and unforgettable pitch?

1. Take only ten minutes.

Timing is critical. The less time your pitch takes, the better.

A brilliant idea means nothing unless you can distill it to a few moments of sheer power. The more concise you can be, the more effective you will be. Here are a few timing pointers:

# If you say that you’ll take “only X minutes,” then take at least one minute less.

# If you are told, “You only have X minutes to pitch,” then take at least five minutes less.

# If you say, “One last thing” or something similar, then make sure it’s truly the one last thing.

# Move at a good pace. Don’t rush at the end.

# If you’re using slides, don’t get stuck on one slide for more than three minutes.

Here’s the great thing about taking ten minutes. If the investors are really interested, they’ll ask questions. If they’re not interested, then you will have saved them (and yourself) some time.

2. Turn your pitch into a story.

Storytelling is a scientifically-proven way to capture a listener’s attention and hold it. Besides, it makes your pitch unforgettable.

Investors are bored with spreadsheets, valuations and numbers. If they want that information, they can get it. What you can offer that no term sheet can convey is the story and pathos behind your startup. Everyone loves a good story, even the most data-driven investor.

So, tell your story and tell it right. You’re bound to gain attention, and the funding will follow.

3. Be laser-focused.

Investors’ time is their most valuable asset. If you convey a respect for their time, they will interpret that respect as your ability to treat their funding with respect.

Because time is important, you need to develop an absolute focus on the core components of your pitch. What are those core components? They’re detailed in the following tips.

4. Explain EXACTLY what your product or service is.

Show your potential investors a picture of, or give them the actual product to handle.

Be careful not to drone endlessly on about your product. Honestly, investors don’t really care about your product as much as they care about the money that your product will make. The sooner you get to the good stuff — the money.

Mynd44

http://www.eyereport.com.ng/entrepreneur-4-tips-on-how-to-deliver-a-pitch/#sthash.98bNk2m7.dpuf

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by Temmi001: 7:02am On Jun 10, 2017
Entrepreneurship is an art, it's disruptive. Entrepreneurs live on creativity, not memorized tips. If you're a budding entrepreneur, here's a quick tip:

Forget all these stuff OP put up there, just mold the pitch to comply with the status quo

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by Thugnificent(m): 7:02am On Jun 10, 2017
smiley
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by ayoomoba1(m): 7:03am On Jun 10, 2017
Nice one!
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by Ezedon(m): 7:03am On Jun 10, 2017
All these are mere stories
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by Partnerbiz2: 7:03am On Jun 10, 2017
Tired of rules.
Just give me good capital and see how i will turn it into billions.

SELL YOUR MTN/ ETISALAT AIRTIME TO ME AND GET CASH.

Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by sumzy: 7:05am On Jun 10, 2017
ok
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by daewoorazer(m): 7:06am On Jun 10, 2017

#teamEntrepreneurs

I'd rather boss my self than slave 8-4.
If u understand

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by Sebastine1994(m): 7:08am On Jun 10, 2017
Dont pitch to anybody. It ain't worth it.they give you a million reason why it won't work.
Beside you need less capital in the service sector

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by livingstoneony(m): 7:08am On Jun 10, 2017
Great!!!!!
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by veacea: 7:08am On Jun 10, 2017
Okay
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by Nobody: 7:08am On Jun 10, 2017
Accurate timing is really key. smiley
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by SalamRushdie: 7:10am On Jun 10, 2017
Partnerbiz2:
Tired of rules.

q

A true entrepreneur never considers mere capital a factor , from experience I can tell you only wantrepreneurs that give excuse of capital. There is nobody that can't make money if he is given enough capital

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by jeeqaa7(m): 7:11am On Jun 10, 2017
You say
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by jeeqaa7(m): 7:11am On Jun 10, 2017
Right now.. All y'all looking for investors.. Who in his right senses would want to come invest in a country that is about to divide..... Who would want to watch his money go to waste? * I pity this generation.. Educated illiterates..
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by Ademat7(m): 7:12am On Jun 10, 2017
Partnerbiz2:
Tired of rules.

No,it doesn't work that way;Mark,Bill,Jack ma,Jumia,konga et al all pitch to investors so who u come b wey wan change d norm??
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by imma2(m): 7:22am On Jun 10, 2017
What the @op wrote there is priceless. Especially the short story telling point. It just reminds me of someone. Investors don't have time for all your boring analysis when you are first pitching to them.

Take it useless at your own risk.

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by chrisav: 7:25am On Jun 10, 2017
Partnerbiz2:
Tired of rules.

when a man who has multi billion dollar business speaks you had better listen. If you have never turned a million dollar business into a tens of million dollar business why should any one trust you with billions... He who is faithful in little.. respect friend
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by Aromas: 7:28am On Jun 10, 2017
Very interesting n educating.
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by Nobody: 7:40am On Jun 10, 2017
Noted. Contact me of you are interested in buying a land around Ibeju lekki. My no. 08025028390
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by Nobody: 7:40am On Jun 10, 2017
Noted. Contact me if you are interested in buying a land around Ibeju lekki. My no. 08025028390
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by Goldenheart(m): 7:58am On Jun 10, 2017
daewoorazer:

#teamEntrepreneurs

I'd rather boss my self than slave 8-4.
If u understand

8-6

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by kagari: 8:02am On Jun 10, 2017
Lovely read
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by MobileTeacher(m): 8:02am On Jun 10, 2017
I approve this message.
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by iamtardey: 8:10am On Jun 10, 2017
thanks for this... I grab something
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by 9japrof(m): 8:33am On Jun 10, 2017
Impressive, there are a lot of startup funding flying around, just that in this clime we are not usually informed maybe because we keep preoccupying ourselves with unserious issues
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by OurworkComNg1: 8:38am On Jun 10, 2017
DR strive my role model, always on point.

i dont know if there are angel investors in nigeria, ourwork.com.ng needs them...

please check my siggy(signature)
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by bimchuswhat(f): 8:47am On Jun 10, 2017
Humm...Noted. contact me for your bespoke Turbans
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by tk4rd: 9:36am On Jun 10, 2017
Kudos Bro..
Now, let me try and pitch this...
Vote for Chaline at the JETS International Magazine Contest..
VOTE FOR CHALINE HERE
VIEW CHALINE'S PHOTOS HERE
Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by ItzWonderz(m): 10:17am On Jun 10, 2017
daewoorazer:

#teamEntrepreneurs
I'd rather boss my self than slave 8-4. If u understand

7:30 - 5:30

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurs: Tips On How To Deliver A Pitch Investors Can't Turn Down by Nobody: 10:23am On Jun 10, 2017
Strive Masiyiwa, a true model for youths.
Worth following if making legitimate money is part of one's life goals.

Don't forget to invest in Bulk SMS Business, it pays a lot. Check my signature for more.

(1) (2) (Reply)

SCAM ALERT: Latest Scammers Tricks - Beware Of Worlu Ada Faith Chiamaka / How To Pay For Facebook Advert In Nigeria / Make Money As A Fiverr Guru

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.