Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,418 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:14 AM

NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills (38064 Views)

NERC Directs Discos To Increase Tariff From April 1 / 85000 Prepaid Meters To Be Shared Across Ikorodu, Ikeja, Oshodi, Abule Egba / Stop Paying Bills! NERC Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by Blue3k(m): 1:33am On Jun 11, 2017
The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) has directed electric consumers not provided with prepared meters by March 1 to stop paying for electric bills presented by Distribution Companies (DISCOs) on the basis of estimated billing methodology.

The commission also ordered the DISCOs not to disconnect any such customer that refuses to pay the bills and further advised such customers to report to the commission if disconnected.

NERC gave the directive on Wednesday in a statement on its website and said it was part of its sanctioning of defaulting DISCOs who failed to provide meters for its customers before the March 1 deadline.

In line with its mandate of protecting the rights of customers, NERC had in June 2016 after consultation with the operators, directed DISCOs to conclude metering of all customers before November 30, 2016.

According to NERC, the commission at the expiration of that notice, granted three months moratorium which expired on March 1, to enable the DISCOs effectively execute the metering deployment plan for MD customers.

According to the statement, the sanction was sequel to the expiration of the initial directives by NERC and the moratorium period given to DISCOs to meter consumers.

The statement reads in part:

“A directive was issued to distribution companies by the Commission in June 2016 for all MD customers to be metered by 30 November 2016.

“The Commission received appeals on compliance deadline from distribution companies prior to the expiration of the 30 November 2016 deadline.  The deadline was extended to 1 March 2017 after consideration of appeals received from distribution companies.

“Upon due consideration of facts above and the expiration of the compliance deadline granted to distribution companies on the metering of MD customers; the Commission hereby directs as follows –

“1.    Any MD customer that was not metered by 1 March 2017 shall not pay any electricity bill presented by a distribution company on the basis of estimated billing methodology and these customers are advised to report this to the Commission.

“2.    No distribution company shall disconnect any MD customer that was not metered by 1 March 2017 on the basis of the customer’s refusal to pay a bill issued after the compliance deadline on the basis of estimated billing methodology.

“3.    Any MD customer that was not metered by 1 March 2017 should notify the Commission directly.”

Source: http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/233653-electricity-regulator-nerc-directs-nigerians-without-prepaid-meters-to-stop-paying-bills.html

25 Likes 8 Shares

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by Blue3k(m): 1:38am On Jun 11, 2017
Wow this is going to be game changer. Everyone complaining discos are ripping people of going to dance in streets. I guess discos will start maufacturing Meters if they can't get forex to import.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by Desyner: 1:50am On Jun 11, 2017
Long overdue move. Better late than never though. It ha been a case of honest Nigerians being milked and made to pay for the dishonesty of other Nigerians. We have local manufacturers of the meter and so I see no reason for the blatant lies.

21 Likes

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by KehnnyCares(m): 1:53am On Jun 11, 2017
Gradually, we' are getting there.

God Bless Nigeria!

13 Likes

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by GloriaNinja(f): 1:56am On Jun 11, 2017
undecided TRUST ME, PHCN WILL STILL CONTINUE THEIR RUBBISH.

69 Likes

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by greymiles: 2:05am On Jun 11, 2017
GloriaNinja:
Watz d meaning of dz tin u wrote?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by ShobayoEmma(m): 2:17am On Jun 11, 2017
This won't still stop biafra from coming into reality.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by rexlims(m): 2:40am On Jun 11, 2017
pls sumbody remind me which month we are in

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by SIRmanjar(m): 2:49am On Jun 11, 2017
KehnnyCares:
Gradually, we' are getting there.

God Bless Nigeria!
Bless which dirty nigeria?Read again,Its old news. undecided

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by PoolBuilder: 3:30am On Jun 11, 2017
Please Note the term MD, maximium demand customers, this does not apply to aaverage tom, dike and harriet.
dont, get you hops high

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by joe4real12: 4:09am On Jun 11, 2017
It's high time NERC applies same to individual users.
Click like n Share if you agree

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by Nutase: 4:36am On Jun 11, 2017
Waiting to see if it's true before rejoicing.
Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by Nbote(m): 4:36am On Jun 11, 2017
And wen NEPA officials disconnect our transformer or wires or whichever form of disconnection dey chose what are we supposed to do? Arrest dem with police or fight dem?? It's easier said dan done... Both NERC, PHCN, GENCOs, DISCOs, TANKOs and all of dem are all in it together.. What have dey done to make sure Prepaid metres are provided to consumers? What have dey done to sensitize electricity consumers about dis?? No consumer enjoys paying for lite he/she doesn't /hasn't seen or used.. But what choice do we have wen Estimated bills are generated using God-knows-what criteria and distributed first week of d month and by d 2nd week dey are carrying ladders going house to house and asking U silly questions like dey rented d apartment for u.. Even with d prepaid metre, d fixed charges are a whole different issue completely.. Until dey start doing more to show dey are actually trying to regulate things den dis is jus anoda word of mouth - All talk and no action...

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by Amberon11: 4:41am On Jun 11, 2017
Lol
Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by naijagobetter(m): 4:45am On Jun 11, 2017
game changer! Kedco went as far as securing undertakings from customers now i know why. Pls where is th regulatory commission office in kano state?
Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by Blue3k(m): 4:49am On Jun 11, 2017
PoolBuilder:
Please Note the term MD, maximium demand customers, this does not apply to aaverage tom, dike and harriet.
dont, get you hops high

Good eye.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by Kondomatic(m): 5:49am On Jun 11, 2017
Blue3k:
Wow this is going to be game changer. Everyone complaining discos are ripping people of going to dance in streets. I guess discos will start maufacturing Meters if they can't get forex to import.
This is a game changer for those living backwards not to us bro. This June not February

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by Erums(m): 6:23am On Jun 11, 2017
Like seriously u gets didn't read the post well....NERC is referring to MD customers.... Ehy are u noe complaining, are u an MD customer?

2 Likes

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by SalamRushdie: 6:41am On Jun 11, 2017
GloriaNinja:

Of course ..this is June 2017 and PHCN is still disconnecting those without prepaid meters

1 Like

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by wristbangle: 6:45am On Jun 11, 2017
Nice initiative. IKEDC/EDC still dey try sef but IBEDC are criminals and among the most useless DISCO in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by futurenix(m): 6:50am On Jun 11, 2017
*Modified *
Extend it to NMD customers, we need it more than the MD customers.

I was giving #8000+ for March, 6000+ for April and 8000+ for May with unmetered reading and within these 3 months of about 90 days with 2160 hours, I did not make use of 60 hours of electricity combined.

These disco guys are the highest fraud to ever happen in the history of Nigeria.

19 Likes

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by femi4: 6:56am On Jun 11, 2017
Seems everyone above me didn't read the post. This is an old news. The ultimatum stated was March 1 2017

1 Like

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by Partnerbiz3: 7:10am On Jun 11, 2017
Rubbish.

So i go dey drag wire with them if they come?
Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by Lanretoye(m): 7:34am On Jun 11, 2017
instead of sanctioning the discos that err,they are telling us to fight for ourselves.

2 Likes

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by meezynetwork(m): 7:47am On Jun 11, 2017
Nigerians don't read. This old news. Last year news. And moreover its for MD customers

6 Likes

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by saintneo(m): 7:51am On Jun 11, 2017
This directive is for (MD) Maximum Demand customers only.

If you like, go and quote this directive when DISCO personnel come visiting; na your wire them go carry go office.

Pay your electricity bill promptly and wholesomely.

8 Likes

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by Ogalanyachieze: 8:21am On Jun 11, 2017
Make we do the right thing for once
Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by Ogalanyachieze: 8:23am On Jun 11, 2017
meezynetwork:
Nigerians don't read. This old news. Last year news. And moreover its for MD customers
disco worker spotted

1 Like

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by kings09(m): 8:24am On Jun 11, 2017
Two faced govt

2 Likes

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by Ogalanyachieze: 8:25am On Jun 11, 2017
saintneo:
This directive is for (MD) Maximum Demand customers only.

If you like, go and quote this directive when DISCO personnel come visiting; na your wire them go carry go office.

Pay your electricity bill promptly and wholesomely.
disco workers spotted

6 Likes

Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by kings09(m): 8:27am On Jun 11, 2017
U r not in Nigeria @all
GloriaNinja:
Re: NERC, Directs Nigerians Without Prepaid Meters To Stop Paying Bills by saintneo(m): 9:25am On Jun 11, 2017
Ogalanyachieze:
disco workers spotted which one md where did you read that one

I hope you don't lack comprehension skills, read the op's original post;. especially the parts in bold.

BTW, I'm an entrepreneur in the industry. click the link below to see my ideas on solving electricity problem in Nigeria.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Army Has Not Staged Coup Again In Nigeria — Obasanjo / NCDC Bill: Gates Denies Offering Reps Any Incentive / Pictures From Labour Party Meeting In Kadana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.