Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,066 members, 7,810,986 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:03 PM

On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland (1591 Views)

Governor Dickson Consults With Northern Elders On Restructuring, True Federalism / Youths Tasked R.i Yoruba Elders On Africa Arrested Development / Nnamdi Kanu Meets With Elders Of Ijaw Youths Council In Port Harcourt (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by Sapiosexuality(m): 7:11pm On Jun 12, 2017
This is actually for those who witnessed it or have read enough to understand what happened. No trolls.

On what basis is June 12 called the most free and fair election in the history of Nigeria?

Or is it just the usual Nigerian way of hyping the past?
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by Iamwrath: 7:27pm On Jun 12, 2017
because Nigerians voted massively for MKO Abiola who was as at then the most prefered candidate , there was no bloodshed, no rigging, no ballot stealing , no murder , but the then Gen IBB refused to hand over , instead he jailed Abiola and Abiola was eventually poisoned / killed

1 Like

Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by Sapiosexuality(m): 7:29pm On Jun 12, 2017
Iamwrath:
because Nigerians voted massively for MKO Abiola who was as at then the most prefered candidate , there was no bloodshed, no rigging, no ballot stealing , no murder , but the then Gen IBB refused to hand over , instead he jailed Abiola and Abiola was eventually poisoned / killed
If I may ask, is this what you heard and read or what you experienced?

2 Likes

Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by Iamwrath: 7:34pm On Jun 12, 2017
Experience
Sapiosexuality:
If I may ask, is this what you heard and read or what you experienced?

1 Like

Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by Sapiosexuality(m): 7:48pm On Jun 12, 2017
Iamwrath:
Experience
Okay. Very good.

What was the situation in the North and other regions like?

Considering Abiola was a SWesterner and not Tofa, IBB's Candidate, how did it happen that there wasn't violence during or after the elections as we are used to in the north?

His vice was also a Muslim and I wonder how the Easterners and Southerners handled that considering their position on a Muslim-Muslim ticket. How did they exhibit fairness in response to his candidature?

Doesn't that portray the people then as more civilized and how is this consistent with the education realities and religious tolerance?

Is it that the media consciously or unconsciously left that out?

Don't mind my questions. I want to write on the subject tomorrow so I need every help I can get.
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by Sapiosexuality(m): 10:08am On Jun 13, 2017
Had it been it was a thread on hating one particular tribe they'd had flocked this thread. What a shame!
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by vicadex07(m): 10:47am On Jun 13, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Okay. Very good.

What was the situation in the North and other regions like?

Considering Abiola was a SWesterner and not Tofa, IBB's Candidate, how did it happen that there wasn't violence during or after the elections as we are used to in the north?

His vice was also a Muslim and I wonder how the Easterners and Southerners handled that considering their position on a Muslim-Muslim ticket. How did they exhibit fairness in response to his candidature?

Doesn't that portray the people then as more civilized and how is this consistent with the education realities and religious tolerance?

Is it that the media consciously or unconsciously left that out?

Don't mind my questions. I want to write on the subject tomorrow so I need every help I can get.

Because everyone was tired of military rule and wanted democracy.

It would have been easier to cancel the elections without raising eyebrows if everything was disorganized, but citizens maintained decorum just to prove to the military that they are ripe for democracy.

Besides the military was brutal and abhors any form of public disruption or disorder back then so the people simply fell in line.

Its common sense psychology. undecided

1 Like

Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by Nobody: 11:45am On Jun 13, 2017
It was the first time that I saw Nigerian traders willingly reducing the cost of their commordities in the markets and shops. The contesting and voting of Abiola also led to the then common affordable "Abiola Commodities" e.g. Abiola Biscuit etc. This trend of naming many house hold goods like Biscuit, Milk, Soap, etc. lingered on for a while even after he died.

The Joy experienced was so much. People jubilated into the streets. I mean, practically everyone left their houses, running into the streets and jumping up and down. The next time I experienced such expression of joy and happiness by Nigerians was when it was confirmed that Abacha had died.

Based on experiences in Port Harcourt and Ibadan.

One recalls this advert also. Nostalgic and Epic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t-YSSYKY0g0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j6vVSZ7wiE

1 Like

Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:09pm On Jun 13, 2017
vicadex07:

Because everyone was tired of military rule and wanted democracy.

It would have been easier to cancel the elections without raising eyebrows if everything was disorganized, but citizens maintained decorum just to prove to the military that they are ripe for democracy.

Besides the military was brutal and abhors any form of public disruption or disorder back then so the people simply fell in line.

Its common sense psychology. undecided
But the elections was still cancelled after everything. How is commonsense psychology when your post can't point at any special index suggesting the tag?

The election that brought Obasanjo had all the above you described. Everyone was tired of military rule and wanted democracy. Citizens also maintained a reasonable level of decorum.
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:15pm On Jun 13, 2017
OmaniPadmeHum:

It was the first time that I saw Nigerian traders willingly reducing the cost of their commordities in the markets and shops. The contesting and voting of Abiola also led to the then common affordable "Abiola Commodities" e.g. Abiola Biscuit etc. This trend of naming many house hold goods like Biscuit, Milk, Soap, etc. lingered on for a while even after he died.

The Joy experienced was so much. People jubilated into the streets. I mean, practically everyone left their houses, running into the streets and jumping up and down. The next time I experienced such expression of joy and happiness by Nigerians was when it was confirmed that Abacha had died.

Based on experiences in Port Harcourt and Ibadan.

One recalls this advert also. Nostalgic and Epic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t-YSSYKY0g0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j6vVSZ7wiE
The last election also saw the reduction of food prices because of 'Sai Baba' and the Jubilation I saw is something I've never seen or heard of. To begin with, does this happiness make an election free and fair?

I need real stats based on who voted. Were underage children in the north prevented from voting as they normally do? What voting pattern was employed and how is it better than all we've had? Was it a fair method?

What about the capturing. How many people were captured? How many could vote? How many had their votes counted? In how many States did voting occur?

In a nutshell, what are the parameters employed in arriving at that conclusion, how do these parameters fare when placed side-by-side with parameters of free and fair election, how do these parameters beat all the other elections we've had? I need answers.

1 Like

Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by 12Monkeys: 1:16pm On Jun 13, 2017
June 12 is gone forever

A date used by tinubu to hoodwink Yorubas into an unnecessary opposition under him even though obasanjo (a Yoruba man was in power)

It was thus natural to see June 12 die a natural death after Tinubu begin chop big time and it is important to note that June 12 was utilized as a sychological war fare by Tinubu on Obasanjo. By marking June 12, Tinubu and his cronies in the defunct AD were sending a message to Obasanjo that he wasn't their legitimate president.

After Obasabjo , June 12 died a natural death and is only celebrated on the pages of newspaper editorials.
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by vicadex07(m): 1:16pm On Jun 13, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
But the elections was still cancelled after everything. How is commonsense psychology when your post can't point at any special index suggesting the tag?

The election that brought Obasanjo had all the above you described. Everyone was tired of military rule and wanted democracy. Citizens also maintained a reasonable level of decorum.

You are a dumbass idiot. You were crying that nobody replied your thread, now I know why.

U already have a preconceived notion for your useless questions.

If everyone wanted democracy and the military said no with guns blazing, who's fault is it?

Is it too hard for you to deduce that they decided to opt out in 1999 after the dynamics had changed and the odds were against them?

1 Like

Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by vicadex07(m): 1:20pm On Jun 13, 2017
12Monkeys:
June 12 is gone forever

After Obasabjo , June 12 died a natural death and is only celebrated on the pages of newspaper editorials.

Yeah and that was because the purpose of june 12 has been acheived which is democracy. If Abiola was alive he would have undoubtedly been the president ahead of Obasanjo. Obasanjo used his slot, hence june 12 agitation subsided.

It's like people continuing to agitate for bring back our girls after the girls have been found. How dumb does that sound?
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by Ballmer: 1:21pm On Jun 13, 2017
Abiola was a huge philanthropist giving to muslin, Christian and every thing in sight. I personally believe if any Nigeria should embark on what he did back any election would always be a walkout. He related with everyone beat Tofa hands down even his own state.

It wasn't just about Nigeria being tired of the military, more about the man's capability n how he galvanized everyone without any true feeling left out. Abiola back then is what Dangote is right now the difference is the philanthropic difference btw them.

A Muslim that will sponsor Christian programs to the extent no Christian can compete. He definitely had the magic. I believe he would have been the most charismatic leader Nigeria ever had was made the president.

1 Like

Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:23pm On Jun 13, 2017
vicadex07:

You are a dumbass idiot. You were crying that nobody replied your thread, now I know why.

U already have a preconceived notion for your useless questions.

If everyone wanted democracy and the military said no with guns blazing, who's fault is it?

Is it too hard for you to deduce that they decided to opt out in 1999 after the dynamics had changed and the odds were against them?

Feelings has nothing to with it. Whatever the soldiers choose has nothing to do with free and fair elections. They are mutually exclusive terms. Give me a better answer.

They are not useless questions but useful questions. Why should I buy the story that it was Nigeria's best election? Why?

Having a preconceived notion when questioning a thing not the problem. The problem is refusing to change the notion when presented with a more reasonable argument.

On what basis are we been made to think that June 12 was the best election we've ever had? What parameters were used and how did the election better the election that brought Buhari, GEJ, Yaradua and OBJ? Is that too much.
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by vicadex07(m): 1:24pm On Jun 13, 2017
Ballmer:
Abiola was a huge philanthropist giving to muslin, Christian and every thing in sight. I personally believe if any Nigeria should embark on what he did back any election would always be a walkout. He related with everyone beat Tofa hands down even his own state.

It wasn't just about Nigeria being tired of the military, more about the man's capability n how he galvanized everyone without any true feeling left out. Abiola back then is what Dangote is right now the difference is the philanthropic difference btw them.

A Muslim that will sponsor Christian programs to the extent no Christian can compete. He definitely had the magic. I believe he would have been the most charismatic leader Nigeria ever had was made the president.

exactly but it seems that sapio whatever has a preconceived negative notion...
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:25pm On Jun 13, 2017
12Monkeys:
June 12 is gone forever

A date used by tinubu to hoodwink Yorubas into an unnecessary opposition under him even though obasanjo (a Yoruba man was in power)

It was thus natural to see June 12 die a natural death after Tinubu begin chop big time and it is important to note that June 12 was utilized as a sychological war fare by Tinubu on Obasanjo. By marking June 12, Tinubu and his cronies in the defunct AD were sending a message to Obasanjo that he wasn't their legitimate president.

There's no point calling names. I'm here to seek answers to some things I find difficult to swallow. Was June 12 the freest and fairest election we ever had?
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by 12Monkeys: 1:26pm On Jun 13, 2017
vicadex07:

Yeah and that was because the purpose of june 12 has been acheived which is democracy.

The date June 12 became significant after 1999 and not before.

The AD demanded that June 12 be marked as democracy day but Obasanjo refused and May 29th (the date of his inauguration as civilian president ) was chosen.

The AD under Tinubu will then attempt to promote June 12 in a bid to undermine Obasanjo as a legitimate president by always referring to MKO Abiola and June 12.

This was the era which saw the AD governors naming everything in their state after Abiola.

The question to ask is what happened to the June 12 movement which Yoruba governors declared as a public holiday?

June 12 was a rallying call by the tribalistic regional AD under Tinubu to hoodwink Yorubas into opposition even though Obasanjo was president.

June 12 is one of the biggest farce ever pulled in the country

1 Like 1 Share

Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by vicadex07(m): 1:28pm On Jun 13, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Feelings has nothing to with it. Whatever the soldiers choose has nothing to do with free and fair elections. They are mutually exclusive terms. Give me a better answer.

They are not useless questions but useful questions. Why should I buy the story that it was Nigeria's best election? Why?

Having a preconceived notion when questioning a thing not the problem. The problem is refusing to change the notion when presented with a more reasonable argument.

On what basis are we been made to think that June 12 was the best election we've ever had? What parameters were used and how did the election better the election that brought Buhari, GEJ, Yaradua and OBJ? Is that too much.

you are a fool. you have presented no argument of your own other than turning down my opinion senselessly.

If you already have your own argument and you believe its superior to mine, its either you spill it or keep shut and use it for your useless phantom research.

1 Like

Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by 12Monkeys: 1:29pm On Jun 13, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
There's no point calling names. I'm here to seek answers to some things I find difficult to swallow. Was June 12 the freest and fairest election we ever had?

June 12 was not the date of the presidential election but the date set aside by the military regime to handover power to a democratic civilian administration

On the credibility of the elections, the 1993 presidential elections were the fairest so far.
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by vicadex07(m): 1:30pm On Jun 13, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Feelings has nothing to with it.

Whatever the soldiers choose has nothing to do with free and fair election

They are mutually exclusive terms. Give me a better answer.

So in essence, the military is not responsible for the annulment of the election. What kind of dumb assertion is that?
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:31pm On Jun 13, 2017
Ballmer:

To be honest this is about the man Abiola than the nature of the election. Abiola was a philanthropist. We know that.

But the thing here is the idea that election that brought him was most free and fair in Nigeria's history. I can't find the basis for this assertion so I need to know the parameters used in arriving at this point.

Charisma is not the issue here. Donald Trump also is charismatic but the election that brought him wasn't free of violence and threats. That's my point. Let's talk about the election and not the man.
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:33pm On Jun 13, 2017
vicadex07:

So in essence, the military is not responsible for the annulment of the election. What kind of dumb assertion is that?
Sorry..This thread is not for you. If that's what you can deduce from my post I will need smarter people.
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:35pm On Jun 13, 2017
12Monkeys:

On the credibility of the elections, the 1993 presidential elections were the fairest so far.
This is the issue. On what basis did we arrive at that? How did we know it was the fairest? How did it do better in these terms when place with the 1999, 1982, 2003-2015 Elections? Feelings?
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by vicadex07(m): 1:40pm On Jun 13, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Sorry..This thread is not for you. If that's what you can deduce from my post I will need smarter people.

vicadex07:

you are a fool. you have presented no argument of your own other than turning down my opinion senselessly.

If you already have your own argument and you believe its superior to mine, its either you spill it or keep shut and use it for your useless phantom research shocked
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by hornyofife: 1:42pm On Jun 13, 2017
Abiola the international thief thief (ITT), who drown the christian bible into the sea because he wanted to prove to his masters that he was a worthy slave, yet karma caught up with him.

Fela is the only true hero from the S.west
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by 12Monkeys: 1:45pm On Jun 13, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
This is the issue. On what basis did we arrive at that? How did we know it was the fairest? How did it do better in these terms when place with the 1999, 1982, 2003-2015 Elections? Feelings?

Because the outgoing IBB led military junta did create the enabling environment for a peaceful transition and there were no records of violence even in the rancous southwest.

Voter turnouts were very high and the Hope 93 campaign by Abiola's SDP cut across all corners of the country.

By all indices the election was the best.

IBB, will later cancel the elections out of fear of the other top military commanders who got wind that IBB had advices Abiola to sack all of them once he was sworn in.

IBB did not have the guts to sack Abacha and co but left it to Abiola as one of his priorities if he wanted to keep his mandate.

Word got round to Abacha and he threatened to derail the whole process even staging a coup to oust IBB .

The rest is history....

This is why Obasanjo wasted no time sacking all military officers that had participatted in any coup plot or who have occupied political positions.
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by vicadex07(m): 1:46pm On Jun 13, 2017
Iamwrath:
Experience

Sapiosexuality:
This is the issue. On what basis did we arrive at that?

How did we know it was the fairest? How did it do better in these terms when place with the 1999, 1982, 2003-2015 Elections? Feelings?

Someone already told you he witnessed it and you are still asking useless questions. If you don't believe him why ask in the first place.

By the way, Google it and you will see endless answers

undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by 12Monkeys: 1:51pm On Jun 13, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
To be honest this is about the man Abiola than the nature of the election. Abiola was a philanthropist. We know that.

But the thing here is the idea that election that brought him was most free and fair in Nigeria's history. I can't find the basis for this assertion so I need to know the parameters used in arriving at this point.

Charisma is not the issue here. Donald Trump also is charismatic but the election that brought him wasn't free of violence and threats. That's my point. Let's talk about the election and not the man.

1. Largest recorded turnout

2. Peaceful campaign period devoid of violence

3. Election day remained peaceful with no incidence of ballot snatching or voter disenfranchisement

4. Collation and announcement of results were smooth and done live on tv and radio

5. The defunct NEC declared Abiola as winner and the NRC opposition candidate congratulated him.
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jun 13, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
The last election also saw the reduction of food prices because of 'Sai Baba' and the Jubilation I saw is something I've never seen or heard of. To begin with, does this happiness make an election free and fair?

I need real stats based on who voted. Were underage children in the north prevented from voting as they normally do? What voting pattern was employed and how is it better than all we've had? Was it a fair method?

What about the capturing. How many people were captured? How many could vote? How many had their votes counted? In how many States did voting occur?

In a nutshell, what are the parameters employed in arriving at that conclusion, how do these parameters fare when placed side-by-side with parameters of free and fair election, how do these parameters beat all the other elections we've had? I need answers.

Who is talking about freeness and fairness? My post is not interested in that. Your need to prove how smart you are is quite interesting. However, I simply gave highlights on some of the things I observed and I am doing so wthout prejudice to any political party or tribe or whether it was a free and fair election. While I might be Nigerian the "Nigerian" (i. e. Supporting your tribe no matter what, your political party cannot do wrong, etc. ) is not in me.

If you want valid and uncompromized statistics, this might not be the best place to get it. I would prefer you approach a more serious and more acceptable source of such information.

I doubt if anybody still recalls the statistics and all events leading up to and after the elections.
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by Sapiosexuality(m): 1:55pm On Jun 13, 2017
12Monkeys:

Voter turnouts were very high and the Hope 93 campaign by Abiola's SDP cut across all corners of the country.

By all indices the election was the best.

Exactly what I'm talking. What are these indices? The election that brought Buhari also has a high voters turnout but can we say the election was the freest and fairest based on that alone. I need the indices if you have them so I can compare with we've had before and after then.
Re: On June 12 with Elders On Nairaland by Sapiosexuality(m): 2:05pm On Jun 13, 2017
12Monkeys:

1. Largest recorded turnout

2. Peaceful campaign period devoid of violence

3. Election day remained peaceful with no incidence of ballot snatching or voter disenfranchisement

4. Collation and announcement of results were smooth and done live on tv and radio

5. The defunct NEC declared Abiola as winner and the NRC opposition candidate congratulated him.
Good. Now we go.

1. The election of Abiola only had 14 million votes. The election of Buhari had about 25 million votes. The election that brought Yaradua, OBJ and GEJ had more.

2. The election that brought Yaradua and OBJ was also devoid of violence.

3. With no incident of voters snatching or disenfranchisement? I need evidence to agree with this.

4. Collation was also done on TV and Radio in Yaradua, GEJ and Buhari's victories.

5. GEJ even called Buhari to congratulate before the winner was announced.

The election may have been free and fair but I can't see any evidence that it is the freest and fairest. Except overwhelming turnout and suppoet is the criteria. Then OBJ's election is the freest in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oyibo Man Paddling His Way Through The Lagos Flood In A Canoe - Pic / PDP: I Remain Loyal To Makarfi – Sheriff / Don't Dialogue With Kanu, IPOB; Tsav, Temlong, Others Tell FG.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.