Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,290 members, 7,860,697 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:29 PM

Will Art Ever Be Appreciated In Nigeria? What's Your Thoughts & Challenges - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Will Art Ever Be Appreciated In Nigeria? What's Your Thoughts & Challenges (902 Views)

Twitter User Challenges Innoson For A New Logo / Challenges Most Up-and_coming Graphics Designers Will Face / Graphics Designers Let's Share The Challenges We Face As Designers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Will Art Ever Be Appreciated In Nigeria? What's Your Thoughts & Challenges by Slimszy: 9:59pm On Jun 12, 2017
Let me just speak my mind on the matter of repatraiting our stolen artworks back home to Nigeria. Great idea you think? Naaaaa. Because in the end it will be one of the most stupid moves we will make. We do not know how to celebrate, appreciate, value and preserve our art pieces. Ok, don't crucify me yet. Let me explain. When that Festac head was taken away, was that the only iconic art piece available at that time it was stolen? At that time and space, I can mention like 7 great pieces of artwork that were in existence. Where are they now? In What state of display? What pride of place do they have? Besides the personal efforts that Nigerian artists have employed in pushing their own works, how much has our country don to trigger economic value in that art circle? It's easy to ask that our stolen works be returned. Just like our looted funds, that are squandered and embezzled...trust me, those art pieces will drop in value like our exchange rates... think about it? What has the government done since 1975 to build our art sector? I am being specific with the art as a sector in the general entertainment hemisphere. The best galleries are privately owned. The National Museum is a national embarrassment. Let's not even go into how people's art pieces are pirated. So, no. Capital NO. Don't repatriate our art pieces. Let us just insist on being given credit for being the original owners where ever the pieces taken from Nigeria are exhibited and sold. The same thing happens in our sports sector. Sporting Talents die here in Nigeria and only get a new lease of life when they are picked up by other international sporting institutions or countries that know the worth of the sportsmen. Let's be realistic. Do you think our government appreciates these artistes? Where are the international Arts festivals? Or an international Arts colloquium put together by the Nigerian government with a sole aim to promote and establish our country as a player that must be recognized in the scheme of all things art?

- Alibaba GCFR, 2017

Bottom line is Art is not appreciated in this part of the world no wonder artists cant access the least basic materials to work with.. The worst part is people bargain your work with the most ridiculous price!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

A Graphic Designer Needed For A Quick Job / Sketch Up Instructor Needed / Photography: The Awakening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.