Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,232 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:11 AM

What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo (31586 Views)

Lord Lugard Footbridge Kaduna: 116 Years After (Photos, Video) / Zungeru Building Where Lord Lugard Signed Nigeria's Amalgamation Lies In Ruins / What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 9:07am On Jun 13, 2017
LUGARD'S DUAL MANDATE ON NIGERIAN TRIBES
1922...( Copied from Mathew Mbanaja"s wall)

*The handover notes Lord Lugard wrote to his colleague, Walter H. Lang, on the 25th of September 1918. The quote reads inter alia:*

HAUSA
The Hausa-Fulani has no ideals, no ambitions save such as sensual in character. He is a fatalist, spendthrift and a gambler. He is gravely immoral and is seriously diseased that he is a menace to any community to which he seeks to attach himself.

YORUBA
Lagos has for 20 years opposed every Governor and has formented strife and bloodshed in the hinterland…, I have spent the best part of my life in Africa; my aim has been the betterment of the natives for whom I have been ready to give my life. But after some 29 years, and after nearly 12 years as Governor here, I am free to say that the people of Lagos and indeed the westerners are the lowest, the most seditious and disloyal, the most purely prompted by self-seeking money motives of any people I have met.

IGBO
These people of predominantly Eastern Nigeria are fiercely rebellious with no regard for authority. Though industrious and religious, in deference to the objectives of her majesty and the crown, they are highly dangerous to be trusted with.

Hit it miss

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by smartty68(m): 9:12am On Jun 13, 2017
The only thing that got me laughing is the 1st and 2nd image grin

Op you try grin

6 Likes

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by malawi101(m): 9:12am On Jun 13, 2017
Giantslayer:

*The handover notes Lord Lugard wrote to his colleague, Walter H. Lang, on the 25th of September 1918. The quote reads inter alia:*

HAUSA
The Hausa-Fulani has no ideals, no ambitions save such as sensual in character. He is a fatalist, spendthrift and a gambler. He is gravely immoral and is seriously diseased that he is a menace to any community to which he seeks to attach himself.

YORUBA
Lagos has for 20 years opposed every Governor and has formented strife and bloodshed in the hinterland…, I have spent the best part of my life in Africa; my aim has been the betterment of the natives for whom I have been ready to give my life. But after some 29 years, and after nearly 12 years as Governor here, I am free to say that the people of Lagos and indeed the westerners are the lowest, the most seditious and disloyal, the most purely prompted by self-seeking money motives of any people I have met.

IGBO
These people of predominantly Eastern Nigeria are fiercely rebellious with no regard for authority. Though industrious and religious, in deference to the objectives of her majesty and the crown, they are highly dangerous to be trusted with.

Hit it miss

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by obialfa: 9:12am On Jun 13, 2017
And this is the man they are all dying to keep his legacy.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by stephleena(f): 9:14am On Jun 13, 2017
so lugard knew, the Hausa man,is a menace, wherever he goes, citing Benue,and southern Kaduna as examples, yet he forced us together?? he knew, afonjas, are disloyal,and double faced,yet he forced them,down our throats? tell me why,the devil shouldn't drill lugard's ass? Nigeria, is a scam.

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by spartan117(m): 9:16am On Jun 13, 2017
Nigeria has no past. heroes I can look up to ,but heroes are rising up

3 Likes

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 9:20am On Jun 13, 2017
malawi101:

how much is the plot of the land you booked? undecided
Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by TippyTop(m): 9:22am On Jun 13, 2017
@op
What did he say about the SS?
Did he predict we would feed the nation for decade to come?

5 Likes

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 9:25am On Jun 13, 2017
TippyTop:
@op
maybe he looped the ss and se together

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 9:28am On Jun 13, 2017
The man is right.... but that will not stop me from blaming him and his colleagues for the woes of this nations ... you know all these things and you still joined the Southern and Northern protectorates... knowing that it is an "inappropriate marriage"...... Your colleagues too gave us Independent when we are way not ready at all.. and here we are lamenting about what was originally caused by our power drunk "Heroes".....

Thirdly and lastly I want to blame that my great great grand father who went hiding when the white men were looking for slaves .. he should have followed them and who know, may be I for no dey here now

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 9:31am On Jun 13, 2017
stephleena:
so lugard knew, the Hausa man,is a menace, wherever he goes, citing Benue,and southern Kaduna as examples, yet he forced us together?? he knew, afonjas, are disloyal,and double faced,yet he forced them,down our throats? tell me why,the devil shouldn't drill lugard's ass? Nigeria, is a scam.
babe I agree with you... they just came, exploit our land, caused trouble and go away like that

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by deedeedee1: 9:31am On Jun 13, 2017
This is the man that created this mistake called niger-area. The man whoose aim was to destroy our culture, language, and pride.
Yorubas, igbos, and hausas should not have been in the same country.
It was a big mistake!

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 9:32am On Jun 13, 2017
MykOnyxo:
The man is right.... but that will not stop me from blaming him and his colleagues for the woes of this nations ... you know all these things and you still joined the Southern and Northern protectorates... knowing that it is an "inappropriate marriage"...... Your colleagues too gave us Independent when we are way not ready at all.. and here we are lamenting about what was originally caused by our power drunk "Heroes".....

Thirdly and lastly I want to blame that my great great grand father who went hiding when the white men were looking for slaves .. he should have followed them and who know, may be I for no dey here now
your last paragraph though grin
Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 9:35am On Jun 13, 2017
Giantslayer:
your last paragraph though grin
I tell u ehn....

2 Likes

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 9:38am On Jun 13, 2017
deedeedee1:
This is the man that created this mistake called niger-area. The man whoose aim was to destroy our culture, language, and pride.
Yorubas, igbos, and hausas should not have been in the same country.
It was a big mistake!

very big one.... infact it is the origin of our problems now... that's why I am not against the departure of Igbos..

5 Likes

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by akpamuomenka: 9:49am On Jun 13, 2017
It is very clear that this man was a wicked man.

How can you bring an Housa man that has no ambition, a Yoruba man that likes shading blood (ritualists), an Igbo that does not obey authority together and call them one NIGERIA?.

Why won't an Igbo man be stubborn when he is dealing with those that has no ambition and those that likes shading blood?.

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by deedeedee1: 9:52am On Jun 13, 2017
stephleena:
Biiiiaatch! Being disloyal does not mean someone is two faced. What he meant was yoruba never accepted to be enslaved by the british government.
Get it?

8 Likes

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by omoiyamayor(m): 10:08am On Jun 13, 2017
Who receive this letter from lugard, slowpoke angry
Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Nobody: 10:09am On Jun 13, 2017
omoiyamayor:
Who receive this letter from lugard, slowpoke angry
fastpoke, can't you do without insulting baba, swerve. Don't turn the threat to Syria

8 Likes

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by omoiyamayor(m): 10:24am On Jun 13, 2017
Giantslayer:
fastpoke, can't you do without insulting
u are so concern,are u the pencil writing like a kid
Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by olufemilite: 10:40am On Jun 13, 2017
Don't fool yourself o..This guys came to Africa for nothing more than greed. They wrapped up greed in religion and education... If they had anticipated the discovery of oil, they would never have left!

TippyTop:
@op

3 Likes

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by thundafire: 10:43am On Jun 13, 2017
A perfect description of dy 3 dominant rascals in Nigeria

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by TippyTop(m): 10:46am On Jun 13, 2017
olufemilite:
Don't fool yourself o..This guys came to Africa for nothing more than greed. They wrapped up greed in religion and education... If they had anticipated the discovery of oil, they would never have left!

We would have forced them to give us our independence.
Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Hopeful20100: 10:49am On Jun 13, 2017
Igbos and rebellion are like 5 and 6.

British was able to subdue North and West with ease but when they arrived Igboland, it took them 12 yrs in a fierce war with Igbos until they gain control. They vowed never to let this people in power because they will disrupt their agenda in Nigeria.

The very first slave en route rebellion ever to happen in the history of humanity was by Igbos called "Igbo Landing". Also the very first slave rebellion in the western hemisphere was by Haiti, a people said to have been taken from Igboland. That's why Haiti supported Biafra in the civil war.

Now you know why Britain is scared of Igbos ruling this country...they will chase them out Nigeria by fire and force. Here is Lugard saying that they cannot be trusted with power because they know Igbos fear no Idioot born of a man....if you are an impediment to fairness, justice, equality or morality, they will bring you down and put you where you belong.

44 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Thermodynamics(m): 10:50am On Jun 13, 2017
He did not speak anything good about the three ethnic group. He only came to Africa for his own selfish reasons, he came here just for our resources, He is a thief, a treasure hunter. Well he was only right about one thing, about his opinion on the Hausas/Fulani, those people are leaches, they have absolutely nothing to offer, they are as dumb as a day old doughnut. Since they don't value their lives, they are ready to kill themselves along with others so they can get what they want, that is why the rest of Nigeria is afraid of them. I think the Yorubas and the Igbos will do well independently, if Nigeria splits, I also think that Niger delta will also do well, we should stop fighting ourselves and let the West, The South and The eastern region come together to make an agreement and split out of this curse called Nigeria. I think we will do more better.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by three: 10:53am On Jun 13, 2017
Dear OP & Mods please ensure this doesn't hit front page without accurate & verified references and sources given the sensitivity of the subject

I have read the chapter in The Dual Mandate In Tropical Africa and can't recall this

4 Likes

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Jaideyone(m): 10:58am On Jun 13, 2017
mumu op

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by stonemasonn: 11:10am On Jun 13, 2017
Giantslayer:

HAUSA

YORUBA

IGBO

Hit it miss

1..the Hausa man is a gambler Well I know they love easy money and spending on new wives and Honda. grin

2..Yoruba..well no surprises, they like being in the opposition and they love infighting, I don't expect governor lugard to find such people loyal..they a tooo politically ambitious.

3..Igbos are highly dangerous to be trusted with!? undecided I don't understand.. Was lugard dupped by an Igbo man?

19 Likes

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by hornyofife: 11:13am On Jun 13, 2017
Giantslayer:

HAUSA

YORUBA

IGBO

Hit it miss

You lied about the igbo, there was nowhere he said such about the igbos. You just sumed it up. I have search google and i have seen references to that of hausa and yoruba but none for igbos.. The only one for igbo i see is this same thread on NL.

if not post your link or reference to his said comments on igbos

11 Likes

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by Arda1000(m): 11:14am On Jun 13, 2017
TippyTop:
@op
what is ss?

7 Likes

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by TippyTop(m): 11:15am On Jun 13, 2017
Arda1000:
what is ss?
South South

2 Likes

Re: What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo by stonemasonn: 11:19am On Jun 13, 2017
Hopeful20100:
Igbos and rebellion are like 5 and 6.

British was able to subdue North and West with ease but when they arrived Igboland, it took them 12 yrs in a fierce war with Igbos until they gain control. They vowed never to let this people in power because they will disrupt their agenda in Nigeria.

The very first slave en route rebellion ever to happen in the history of humanity was by Igbos called "Igbo Landing". Also the very first slave rebellion in the western hemisphere was by Haiti, a people said to have been taken from Igboland. That's why Haiti supported Biafra in the civil war.

Now you know why Britain is scared of Igbos ruling this country...they will chase them out Nigeria by fire and force. Here is Lugard saying that they cannot be trusted with power because they know Igbos fear no Idioot born of a man....if you are an impediment to fairness, justice, equality or morality, they will bring you down and put you where you belong.
which history book did you read? Which war? My guy most of the Igbos were living in hamlets oblivious of the other except for the Benin ruled Igbo clans. They were clothed by the Europeans and they embraced the European religion faster than any region.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Soldier Injured By Boko Haram Receiving Treatment (Photos) / DPO Olosan Of Mushin Stripped, Pushed In Wheelbarrow And Beaten By Hoodlums / Deji Adeyanju Explains Why He Criticizes Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.