Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,236 members, 7,815,314 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... (4436 Views)

Here Is What Lord Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo / Photos Of Lord Frederick Lugard And The Amalgamation Process / Lord Frederick Lugard With Northern Nigeria Emirs In London, 1934 (Throwback Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by ariesbull: 3:28am On Sep 05, 2018
*The handover notes Lord Lugard wrote to his colleague, Walter H. Lang, on the 25th of September 1918. The quote reads inter alia:*

#HAUSA
The Hausa-Fulani has no ideals, no ambitions save such as sensual in character. He is a fatalist, spendthrift and a gambler. He is gravely immoral and is seriously diseased that he is a menace to any community to which he seeks to attach himself.

#YORUBA
Lagos has for 20 years opposed every Governor and has formented strife and bloodshed in the hinterland…, I have spent the best part of my life in Africa; my aim has been the betterment of the natives for whom I have been ready to give my life. But after some 29 years, and after nearly 12 years as Governor here, I am free to say that the people of Lagos and indeed the westerners are the lowest, the most seditious and disloyal, the most purely prompted by self-seeking money motives of any people I have met.

#IGBO
These people of predominantly Eastern Nigeria are fiercely rebellious with no regard for authority. Though industrious and religious, in deference to the objectives of her majesty and the crown, they are highly dangerous to be trusted with power.

http://asabapost..com/2017/06/lugard-on-nigerian-tribes-how-true.html?m=1

http://ceekaymadu..com/2017/06/lord-lugard-handover-note.html?m=1

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by Trustme2(m): 3:32am On Sep 05, 2018
Aptly captured. All correct Sir uptil today. So it was. So it is now. And evermore shall be

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by Oblitz(m): 3:51am On Sep 05, 2018
Hmm! I reserve my comment
Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by Racoon(m): 5:13am On Sep 05, 2018
"The Hausa-Fulani has no ideals, no ambitions save such as sensual in character. He is a fatalist, spendthrift and a gambler. He is gravely immoral and is seriously diseased that he is a menace to any community to which he seeks to attach himself."

Once a problem always a problem.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by northvietnam(m): 5:18am On Sep 05, 2018
ariesbull:

#IGBO
These people of predominantly Eastern Nigeria are fiercely rebellious with no regard for authority. Though industrious and religious, in deference to the objectives of her majesty and the crown, they are highly dangerous to be trusted with power.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm......

This is serious

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by SirBrightoc(m): 5:30am On Sep 05, 2018
What is the source of this information?

I though agree with his position to an extent, especially for the Igbos. This explains why they have always worked against Igbos presiding over Nigeria or being independent. They understand that they will ruin their indirect colonialism. So, to safeguard their interest in Nigeria is for the Igbo man to be sidelined and placed on watchlist.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by chiommy123(f): 5:30am On Sep 05, 2018
Since everyone is dangerous and not to be trusted let them be on their own na

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by Badb0y4lyf(m): 5:48am On Sep 05, 2018
highly dangerous to be trusted with power

1 Like

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by johnlvis(m): 5:51am On Sep 05, 2018
He's simply saying that no tribe is good in Nigeria .

1 Like

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by Auladimeji(m): 5:54am On Sep 05, 2018
SirBrightoc:

I though agree with his position to an extent, especially for the Igbos. This explains why they have always worked against Igbos presiding over Nigeria or being independent. They understand that they will ruin their indirect colonialism. So, to safeguard their interest in Nigeria is for the Igbo man to be sidelined and placed on watchlist.
Igbo people sha,always deceiving themselves

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by Nobody: 6:01am On Sep 05, 2018
Trustme2:
Aptly captured. All correct Sir uptil today. So it was. So it is now. And evermore shall be

lol, grin grin grin
Gba si be, you must be a prof

1 Like

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by okwabayi(m): 6:08am On Sep 05, 2018
As there is no source this should go to the jokes section.
Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by BiafraIShere(m): 6:42am On Sep 05, 2018
Well, all he said about the ethnic groups were negative attributes but in the case of the Igbos, he has something positive to say about them I.e they are industrious cool cool
I'm shocked that he was able to analyze the characteristics of the people of Nigeria and these people still exhibit all those characters he mention even to this day shocked shocked

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by gidgiddy: 6:45am On Sep 05, 2018
Lugard must have known he made a grave mistake when he brought these 3 tribes together in 1914

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by sweerychick(f): 6:48am On Sep 05, 2018
And knowing fully well about this differences why then the almagamation

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by kennypoju04: 6:52am On Sep 05, 2018
Doubt this thanls
Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by sweerychick(f): 6:54am On Sep 05, 2018
SirBrightoc:

I though agree with his position to an extent, especially for the Igbos. This explains why they have always worked against Igbos presiding over Nigeria or being independent. They understand that they will ruin their indirect colonialism. So, to safeguard their interest in Nigeria is for the Igbo Man to be sidelined and placed on watchlist.
look at you only igbo you agree with. What about the other tribes? Fulani and Yoruba shouldn't they be sidelined too

1 Like

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by NdiaraIGBO: 7:02am On Sep 05, 2018
I support Biafra wholeheartedly! The primitive monkeys should be let go........

1 Like

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by Biggty(m): 7:07am On Sep 05, 2018
Divide the Country then
Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by chris31(m): 7:12am On Sep 05, 2018
That of Igbo man is true an average Igbo man does not care about government they depend on themselves & can survive anywhere they find themselves

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by Wiseandtrue(f): 7:13am On Sep 05, 2018
ariesbull:

*The handover notes Lord Lugard wrote to his colleague, Walter H. Lang, on the 25th of September 1918. The quote reads inter alia:*

#HAUSA
The Hausa-Fulani has no ideals, no ambitions save such as sensual in character. He is a fatalist, spendthrift and a gambler. He is gravely immoral and is seriously diseased that he is a menace to any community to which he seeks to attach himself.

#YORUBA
Lagos has for 20 years opposed every Governor and has formented strife and bloodshed in the hinterland…, I have spent the best part of my life in Africa; my aim has been the betterment of the natives for whom I have been ready to give my life. But after some 29 years, and after nearly 12 years as Governor here, I am free to say that the people of Lagos and indeed the westerners are the lowest, the most seditious and disloyal, the most purely prompted by self-seeking money motives of any people I have met.

#IGBO
Lord Luggard what about the Briton

3 Likes

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by Bane2020: 7:16am On Sep 05, 2018
Lmaooo see how he described the Yorubas... Damn grin grin grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by Bane2020: 7:16am On Sep 05, 2018
Lmaooo see how he decimated the Yorubas... Damn grin grin grin

9 Likes 1 Share

At least he recognized the industrious nature of the Igbos... if you know you know.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by twentyk(m): 7:47am On Sep 05, 2018
Why igbo people day happy now, cuz the fake article calls you industrious...lol

1 Like

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by nwaobitex: 7:52am On Sep 05, 2018
Picture or
Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by Amumaigwe: 7:55am On Sep 05, 2018
SirBrightoc:

And Nigeria is progressing, abi?

2 Likes

Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by tc1od: 7:55am On Sep 05, 2018
Please fellow Nigerians help them they need our help. Read this: https://www.nairaland.com/4714959/moved-tears-when-saw#70913284
Re: What Lord Frederick Lugard Had To Say About Hausa, Yoruba And Igbo ... by justtoodark: 8:02am On Sep 05, 2018
that cvck svckin mothafvcka is dead....

who cares what that homo said....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kano State Gubernatorial Election (unofficial) Results After 37 Lgs / That Brought USA Travel Ban / Breaking!! Another ESN Commander Arrested By Gallant Troops - Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.