Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,976 members, 7,806,853 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:20 AM

My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria (8884 Views)

Sorry For Any Party That Fails To Field A Northerner For 2023 Presidency – Arewa / Nnia Nwodo: Any Igbo That Touches A Northerner Should Kill Me First / A South Easterner Born And Bred In Minna - A Rejoinder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by tetengi4life(m): 2:10pm On Jun 14, 2017
for the unity of NIGERIA
WHEN NIGERIA WAS ONE - My Life Story (Muhammad Idris tetengi4life@gmail.com)

I am Muhammad Idris from the North but born and bred in ONITSHA Anambra State (South East Nigeria) precisely No. 7 Okija street fegge Onitsha. I don’t know what took my dad there in the 1980s but he told us it was trade. As such 70% of my siblings are born in Onitsha and can speak Igbo more than our dialect. I remember growing up, my parents put me in an Anglican school (St John Anglican Model School) close to my street.
All our class mates are igbos (except I and my brother) and we coexist peacefully, in fact I use to take local/northern chin chin prepared by my mother (she use to sell at down Port Harcourt road close to woliwo up-iweka) to share for my class mates, it was so sweat that they had to be following me home to collect some especially my friend Okwudilichukwu (my mom knows him).
Inside the same school compound we have 3 other schools (all named after North), closer to St john (white and blue uniform) is fegge community school (navy blue and check top uniform), at the front we have Niger primary school (white and green uniform), at the back of it we have Nupe primary school (Red and white). Fegge is a village name in Bassa L.G.A in Kogi State and you already know Niger and Nupe as Northern nomenclatures.

THE STORY IS TRUNCATED AND CONTINUED BELOW

PostScript
Today (Thursday 15th June, 2017) is unarguably the happiest day of my life. Seeing that RAYPOWER (political platform) 100.5 read my story (WHEN NIGERIA WAS ONE) to across their millions (Nigerians) of audience. @ 100.5fm by 9:15am to 9:45am

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by tetengi4life(m): 2:11pm On Jun 14, 2017
Perpendicular to my street is Abagana street which at middle of the street lies another school called Agai Primary School close to Anambra street. At the end of Anambra Street lies Shaba street that houses the HAUSA QUARTERS. All the above named schools still exist till now.
At the back of my house is Niger Street, adjacent to a very long street called Sokoto road that connects the Onitsha bridge head to the popular ONITSHA MAIN MARKET. At the front of the Market is the ONITSHA CENTRAL MOSQUE (still existing) where the jumaat prayers are held. Close to the Mosque is a long street called BIDA ROAD.
After the morning chin chin market, my mother along with my sisters prepares food to sell at the Head bridge Market at Ogbo ewu (meaning cattle market in Igbo), wearing their complete IJAB (muslim vail) without being vilified ever, even for once.
As for my father, he sales water outside our house, where the other older igbo men (tieing wrapper with their snuff) in the street gather to gist at night. They call our house bey Alhaji (the house of Alhaji) because our Dads went to Mecca in the 80s.
We the children are not left out, we play street football competitions between different streets and different languages and we never fought for once because of our religious or ethnic differences. I remembered one day I was thirsty after playing football and I went to the closest house to the field and an Igbo woman gave me water and washed my dirty legs and wounds while I went back home.

6 Likes

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by tetengi4life(m): 2:12pm On Jun 14, 2017
Exactly, Tuesday in February 2006, things changed. There was a reprisal attack following the religious crises in the north. I was coming back from school (Our Ladies Secondary School woliwo), along Ziks avenue I saw where a man was been lynched, my student colleague (Nsugbe) nearly gave me up but no one could listen to him because I properly speak igbo more than him, but my elder brother MUSA wasn’t lucky, he was mobbed because of his tribal mark, Thanks to Soldiers that intervened. When i reached home from school, the house was empty, the house was scattered, a woman now told me that our parents are in the police station seeking refuge. That was how i left my friends, and my books and belongings behind and i never went back to the school again. Some previleged Northerners that heard the information before the attack, left with their family in secrecy, leaving us to face the scourge. In the mid night, we had to migrate with foot from Onitsha to Delta State through the Onitsha bridge. The most painful thing that night was when going through the same we used to play football, seeing some houses where i used to buy satchet water to go and hawk in the market. I was thinking, if the day just break, can my friends come out these houses and recognize me. A lot happened……
When we went back to North, we couldn’t stay up to 3 months, we went back to Onitsha again because that is our home, that is our life but it came with a lot of PRICE. The peaceful community we once knew had changed, our people especially the Sisters and those with tribal marks get embarrassed. The Northerners that owns houses started selling it out, the community started refusing to accommodate some Northerners in their houses.
I began to go street to street, market to Market to buy and sell scrap metals (Akpakara). I served a boss called OGA REMY (in Owerri street), he is very nice, he used to give me money if am going back to school (ABU Zaria). After I finished service, I went to greet him and he told me, please save my number, incase if his children finish school, I should find work for them, because he believed since I am a Northerner, getting a job will be easy for me. That is not even the problem, the problem is

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by tetengi4life(m): 2:13pm On Jun 14, 2017
When MASSOB became more audible in fegge, there is a place called NWANGENE (Dust bin Area), some part where been cleared, we thought it was for development, guess what, some of our friends we once knew began to build Shanties (as MASSOB police station along creek road fegge). If you and your neighbor had issues, you will prefer to be reported to police instead of MASSOB. Police feared them including the Igbos too because of theft, brutality and other kinds of social vices in broad day light.
In 2014 before I went for NYSC, where I was working (Loading scrap metal into Lorries) in Uga street for OGA GEB (A.K.A ELU ELU), I saw my far far junior in school (Obum-neme) have become a ‘commander’ in MASSOB, they came close to our trailer, requested for money, searched us (everyone including their igbo counterpart) collected our belongings and left. OGA GEB cried and wailed, he had to employ one of them (EBUKA) to be guarding us when working and he smokes Indian hemp in the public and still collect N5000.
That doesn’t stopped it completely, different sect will come and fight, claim territory and left.
At a point the problem was not even with the Northerners again, it was with themselves, we just sat down and keep praying for peace and for the sheath not to point against us one day.
Even ordinary repair work at your house, they will come and seize your equipments (shovel) requesting for money or approval without receipt and there were tens of different sects of them. That was when we realized we where in ANARCHY. Thank God for Governor Willie Obiano that cleaned the street from these thugs. Since then, once In a while, I only visit family members that are still doing business there and I don’t want to stop visiting because “abum nwa ala oatuu” (son of the soil)
WHERE DID THE PROBLEM COME FROM AND HOW CAN WE SOLVE IT ESPECIALLY WE THE YOUTHS.
IGBOS I DON’T WANT YOU TO GO, FAMILIES, FRIENDS AND FEELINGS WILL BE SEPARATED
From MUHAMMAD IDRIS BAWA (tetengi) A NIGERIAN

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by kingzizzy: 2:15pm On Jun 14, 2017
Yo must have had a good time in Onitsha, all peaceful.

I cant say the same for 100,000 Igbos that have been slaughtered in the North since Nigeria was created.

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by HiddenShadow: 2:20pm On Jun 14, 2017
Nsugbe is not a true Biafran

Such a fellow will be exiled out of Biafra

Visitors very close to us must be hidden in trouble times

Nsugbe is not one of us

Take note tetengi4life

21 Likes

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by DonBobes(m): 2:30pm On Jun 14, 2017
tetengi4life:
When MASSOB became more audible in fegge, there is a place called NWANGENE (Dust bin Area), some part where been cleared, we thought it was for development, guess what, some of our friends we once knew began to build Shanties (as MASSOB police station along creek road fegge). If you and your neighbor had issues, you will prefer to be reported to police instead of MASSOB. Police feared them including the Igbos too because of theft, brutality and other kinds of social vices in broad day light.
In 2014 before I went for NYSC, where I was working (Loading scrap metal into Lorries) in Uga street for OGA GEB (A.K.A ELU ELU), I saw my far far junior in school (Obum-neme) have become a ‘commander’ in MASSOB, they came close to our trailer, requested for money, searched us (everyone including their igbo counterpart) collected our belongings and left. OGA GEB cried and wailed, he had to employ one of them (EBUKA) to be guarding us when working and he smokes Indian hemp in the public and still collect N5000.
That doesn’t stopped it completely, different sect will come and fight, claim territory and left.
At a point the problem was not even with the Northerners again, it was with themselves, we just sat down and keep praying for peace and for the sheath not to point against us one day.
Even ordinary repair work at your house, they will come and seize your equipments (shovel) requesting for money or approval without receipt and there were tens of different sects of them. That was when we realized we where in ANARCHY. Thank God for Governor Willie Obiano that cleaned the street from these thugs. Since then, once In a while, I only visit family members that are still doing business there and I don’t want to stop visiting because “abum nwa ala oatuu”.
WHERE DID THE PROBLEM COME FROM AND HOW CAN WE SOLVE IT ESPECIALLY WE THE YOUTHS.

It is true dat we soldiers are created for nothing but war. But not a war within ourselves my brother . D way i de pray for peace ehn God knows. And I pray He answers us. Because peace is wat u n I want.
N believe me no soldier wants a war within because u don't know who u might kill by mistake.

4 Likes

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jun 14, 2017
It is against Igbo ethos to kill. Such attitude is as a result of unpunished killings of Igbo in the north which has happened serially over several decades. There are also criminal elements that will not necessarily target you because of your tribe. From your narrative most of the individuals you described were touts and their act can be directed to anyone irrespective tribe. But I am sorry for your experience. Its is wrong for anyone to have to live in fear in his own country. This will be a thing of the past if we build our infrastructure and provide adequate capability for fighting crimes.

24 Likes

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by DonBobes(m): 2:33pm On Jun 14, 2017
God will do it, God will save us from dis politicians 1 day my brother. because every soul knows its d politicians.

4 Likes

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by chiwetaluAGU(m): 2:33pm On Jun 14, 2017
Ok
Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by Dereformer(m): 2:36pm On Jun 14, 2017
tetengi4life:
Even ordinary repair work at your house, they will come and seize your equipments (shovel) requesting for money or approval without receipt and there were tens of different sects of them. That was when we realized we where in ANARCHY. Thank God for Governor Willie Obiano that cleaned the street from these thugs. Since then, once In a while, I only visit family members that are still doing business there and I don’t want to stop visiting because “abum nwa ala oatuu”.

Idris,

I took time to read all you wrote, I almost came to tears. I am an Igbo, my closest friend is a yoruba man. I also have a good number of northern friends. I lived in the North for a very short time. Specifically I lived in Jos, inside command secondary school along zaria road.
I equally served in the North, specifically, Jalingo in taraba state.

Idrils, to be sincere with you, Igbos are the most peaceful people to live with. I am not saying this because I am an Igboman but because, igbos are peaceful and that is why we live everywhere.

Most times when Igbos attack northerns in the east, it is because their brothers have first been attacked in the North.

The truth is, Igbos are being marginalised in their own country. If you are an Igboman, tell me, will you keep quite at the face of injustice?

Buhari to London and separated Nigeria into 97% and 5%. My question is, if you are punishing Igbos for not voting enmass for you, what of the 5% that voted you? Should they now regret ever voting ever voting him.

The truth is Nigeria as it is presently constituted does not favour the south.
Tell me, if government is about people, why should Kano have more local government areas that Lagos?
How come the south east has the least number of states in Nigeria?

Why are igbos and some south south indegenes not admitted in the Nigerian army?
Why are the gas reserves in ukwa and Anambra not exploited?

The truth remains that our leaders have divided us hence Igbos want to be free.

53 Likes

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by dlondonbadboy: 2:39pm On Jun 14, 2017
I love Igbos. .we love Igbos. Everybody but children of darkness love igbos

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by CIOSYLVA(m): 2:44pm On Jun 14, 2017
Well nice time u have heard in d east.. but even d little rough experience u had is only because u stay in onitsha.

Onitsha is a very hot city that an average igbo may find it difficult to stay talk more of a northerner; which is, had it been u grew up in other parts of Igbo land u would have even marry an igbo gal. Having survived in Onitsha as a northerner u can actually sleep comfortably in any other part of the region. But it not same in the north since Hausa landlords are first to kill their igbo tenants once there is crisis.

We Biafrans love peace and promote peace. we don't find pleasure in killing. The little attack we give to northerners are only for self defense of the atrocities they commit with the igbo bloods in the north.

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by tetengi4life(m): 2:46pm On Jun 14, 2017
DonBobes:

It is true dat we soldiers are created for nothing but war. But not a war within ourselves my brother . D way i de pray for peace ehn God knows. And I pray He answers us. Because peace is wat u n I want.
N believe me no soldier wants a war within because u don't know who u might kill by mistake.
indeed. thank you

1 Like

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by tetengi4life(m): 2:49pm On Jun 14, 2017
Dereformer:

Idris,

I took time to read all you wrote, I almost came to tears. I am an Igbo, my closest friend is a yoruba man. I also have a good number of northern friends. I lived in the North for a very short time. Specifically I lived in Jos, inside command secondary school along zaria road.
I equally served in the North, specifically, Jalingo in taraba state.

Idrils, to be sincere with you, Igbos are the most peaceful people to live with. I am not saying this because I am an Igboman but because, igbos are peaceful and that is why we live everywhere.

Most times when Igbos attack northerns in the east, it is because their brothers have first been attacked in the North.

The truth is, Igbos are being marginalised in their own country. If you are an Igboman, tell me, will you keep quite at the face of injustice?

Buhari to London and separated Nigeria into 97% and 5%. My question is, if you are punishing Igbos for not voting enmass for you, what of the 5% that voted you? Should they now regret ever voting ever voting him.

The truth is Nigeria as it is presently constituted does not favour the south.
Tell me, if government is about people, why should Kano have more local government areas that Lagos?
How come the south east has the least number of states in Nigeria?

Why are igbos and some south south indegenes not admitted in the Nigerian army?
Why are the gas reserves in ukwa and Anambra not exploited?

The truth remains that our leaders have divided us hence Igbos want to be free.

wow
i understand your pain brother

1 Like

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by DonBobes(m): 2:53pm On Jun 14, 2017
tetengi4life:

indeed. thank you
God will not disappoint us my brother inshalla.
Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by Amberon11: 3:04pm On Jun 14, 2017
I wish it was easy for us to get along. I wish we would stop being tribal bigots and just elect leaders based on competence. I wish there was equity and justice. I wish quota system would be a thing of the past. I wish politicians and the ruling class would value the sanctity of human life.

But wishes aren't horses.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by LUGBE: 3:07pm On Jun 14, 2017
Double face tribe will avoid this zone, they hate the truth, they lie a lot.

We have heard you even international communities know how kind the Igbos are, except fools that don't like hearing any good news from Biafra.

Time shall tell

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by kernel505: 3:17pm On Jun 14, 2017
DonBobes:

I hate Nigerian soldiers, but you're truly classy and top-notch. May God keep and bless you, Amen!

10 Likes

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by Parishpriest: 3:17pm On Jun 14, 2017
Ezigbo onye Otu. It's a pity, your leaders (Buhari and co) has decided to suffer and enslave Ndigbo in their own country. It's either Biafra or total restructuring of this country. The truth is that, this contraption isn't working. We've seen the zenith of marginalisation.

12 Likes

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by cumbak60: 3:18pm On Jun 14, 2017
I want peace. I pray for peace. I pray the dust storm that seems to darken the sky will soon be a thing of the past. I long for a day when human lives will begin to count in this country. Oh God, give us peace. Amen.
Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by dlondonbadboy: 3:19pm On Jun 14, 2017
I love Igbos. .we love Igbos. Everybody but children of darkness love to hate Biafrans

1 Like

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by FriendNG: 3:21pm On Jun 14, 2017
Just look at the bunch of hypocrites up dia claiming love. If you love others you wouldn't have instructed Hausa and Yoruba to be killed

If you're peaceful you wouldn't have gone abroad seeking for arms.

If you're not selfish, you wouldn't have killed Sardauna and Tafawa Balewa and leave your own brothers.

The O.p has exposed how you people are threatening others by forcefully collecting Thier money in the name of agitating groups. Which is day light robbery.

The only good Igbos are those who explore other regions of Nigeria and understand it diversity but not the brainwashed caged southeasterners.

15 Likes

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by EzeUche(m): 3:23pm On Jun 14, 2017
People like you will always be welcomed in Biafra.

In fact, people like you are Biafran in my eyes.

But the Igbos need Biafra. It is our only chance to be free.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by tetengi4life(m): 3:48pm On Jun 14, 2017
DonBobes:
God will do it, God will save us from dis politicians 1 day my brother. because every soul knows its d politicians.
thanks for being hopeful

3 Likes

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by Agumbankembu: 3:52pm On Jun 14, 2017
FriendNG:
Just look at the bunch of hypocrites up dia claiming love. If you love others you wouldn't have instructed Hausa and Yoruba to be killed

If you're not selfish, you wouldn't have killed Sardauna and Tafawa Balewa and leave your own brothers.

The O.p has exposed how you people are threatening others by forcefully collecting Thierry money in the name of agitating groups. Which is day light robbery.

The only good Igbos are those who explore other regions of Nigeria and understand it diversity but not the brainwashed caged southeasterners.

Is it not Nzeogwu who was born and bred in Kaduna that killed Sarduana again? Exactly the kind of Igbo you said is a good one.
You shot yourself on the foot. Mkpi.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by FriendNG: 4:00pm On Jun 14, 2017
Agumbankembu:

Is it not Nzeogwu who was born and bred in Kaduna that killed Sarduana again? Exactly the kind of Igbo you said is a good one.
You shot yourself on the foot. Mkpi.

is it not pple like Rochas that understand the diversity of Nigeria. Because he explore the north.

1 Like

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by Masterclass32: 4:00pm On Jun 14, 2017
tetengi4life:
Even ordinary repair work at your house, they will come and seize your equipments (shovel) requesting for money or approval without receipt and there were tens of different sects of them. That was when we realized we where in ANARCHY. Thank God for Governor Willie Obiano that cleaned the street from these thugs. Since then, once In a while, I only visit family members that are still doing business there and I don’t want to stop visiting because “abum nwa ala oatuu” (son of the soil)

Quite touching. It's a pity we've developed mutual suspicion and hatred towards each other. The threads that hold us together seems to have been stretched to their very limits. It seems we are about to fall apart.

But make no mistakes - the Igbo are not going anywhere. A revolution is on the way. The peace we once knew (though fragile) will return, this time, real and strong.

Justice and real prosperity will yet pervade the land.

4 Likes

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by Customer80: 4:04pm On Jun 14, 2017
FriendNG:

The O.p has exposed how you people are threatening others by forcefully collecting Thierry money in the name of agitating groups. Which is day light robbery.

you talk about tafawa bellewa been murdered, which I condemn but you don't talk about 50 thousand Igbo civilians that were murdered unjustly not to talk of Igbo officer's numbering over 10000 who were equally killed before Ojukwu declared Biafra Republic due to the failure of gowon to stop the killing of the Igbos in the north

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by Agumbankembu: 4:08pm On Jun 14, 2017
FriendNG:

is it not pple like Rochas that understand the diversity of Nigeria. Because he explore the north.

Stop diverting, answer my question.
Nzeogwu Kaduna was born and bred in Kaduna, and according to you, he is a good Igbo, because he was raised outside Igboland, but he was the one that killed Sarduana, wasn't he?

22 Likes

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by Wyttcat: 4:08pm On Jun 14, 2017
The Op is 100% Ibo doing a unity begging round.

2 Likes

Re: My Story, A Northerner Born And Bred In Onitsha South East Nigeria by Agumbankembu: 4:11pm On Jun 14, 2017
Masterclass32:

Quite touching. It's a pity we've developed mutual suspicion and hatred towards each other. The threads that hold us together seems to have been stretched to their very limits. It seems we are about to fall apart.

But make no mistakes - the Igbo are not going anywhere. A revolution is on the way. The peace we once knew (though fragile) will return, this time, real and strong. Justice and real prosperity will yet pervade the land.

After the darkness, comes the Light.

Biafra will be restored, make no mistake about that too.
We can't continue being in this conodrum.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senate Confirms The Appointment Of Eight INEC Commissioners / Window For Reconciliation In PDP Remains Open ― G5 Govs, Others / Ogun First Lady, Bamidele Abiodun, Emerges African Iconic Woman Of The Year 2024

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.