Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:36 PM

Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry (11138 Views)

In Deep Sticky Mud-A thrilling blend of Romance,Rivalry,Betrayal&vengeance / Shango And His Battleaxe Oshe / The Eternal Respect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 2:50pm On Jun 14, 2017
Adapted from the tales my grandmother used to tell me as a kid, about the origin of the bitter rivalry between the two orisha... I will tell write the story from shangos perspective as the narrator.
Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 3:02pm On Jun 14, 2017
Follow my words carefully as a chick trails it's mother mortal, for I shall not repeat myself again, I am shango the stone hurler, son of oranyan the conquerer and great grandson of the legendary oduduwa, having these illustrious sirs as my forebear had never daunted me in the least, I choose my own destiny when I earned my battleaxe oshe the shameless biter in my eighteenth rains, and with it I killed a god in my twentieth, I became emperor in my early thirties and ascended as an orisha before I was forty... Tell me why ogun of ire will not be jealous of me.

2 Likes

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 3:04pm On Jun 14, 2017
My fame as a mortal increased more as an Orisha, a large portion of Ogun’s warriors began to take me as their patron god, the war god was not happy to share, unlike the rest of the Orishas he saw me for who I was, power hungry, spoilt and vain. I threw parties in my brass palace in the sky, broke protocols by mingling with the mortals during festivals, womanized goddesses and mortal women, if my life as a mortal was careless, it increased tenfold as an Orisha for the first hundred years as an immortal were filled with debauchee and carousing.

He steadfastly ignored me like a pestilent until Dada, the impish Orisha of mischief, brought about our first conflict.
Dada the impish god of rebellious children, son of Aroni the one-legged Orisha of the forest and Aja the lady of the wild, and patron of the forest folks, he was a source of constant grief to his parents for unlike his celebrated elder brother, Ososhi the hero god of hunters, he was the black sheep, bringing nothing but trouble to his parents doorstep.

For one day he stole into Ogun’s forge under Ire to steal his pet dog on a dare by Lanroye, whom he takes as mentor in spite of his mother’s warnings, a beautiful creature coveted by all, with furs of delicate brass and teeth of silver.

Ogun hated most things but he hated thieves most of all, for woe betide any mortal accused of stealing who swear falsely at his shrine, his retribution was swift and terrible, such was his wrath when he caught Dada in the act, for he bounded the impish deity with chains of fire till his piteous cries reached his mother’s hears.

Dada had trespassed unto another god’s dominion without permission, there was little his parents could do about it, for even Aroni the great must obey the laws of Obatala, Aroni sent emissaries to ransom Dada from Ogun but he declined and said Dada will stay and apprentice with him for a hundred years, maybe he would grow out of his impish nature by then, the forest god had no choice but to agree.
A mother will always be a mother, be she the mother of a monster, Aja did not agree for her heart yearned after her boy, she petitioned her case before Obatala but found no solace in his answers, she then went crying to Orunmilla the Orisha of wisdom.

“Orunmilla the far sighted, custodian of the Ifa oracle, she cried “I implore you to wipe a mother of her tears, the gods have decided to let Ogun keep my boy for a mere prank forgetting the said culprit is but a child condemned to torture for a hundred years, is this the justice Obatala claimed to uphold?

“Peace woman, for a parent that refused to train his/her child in the morning, will surely be sore hearted at the end of day; Orunmilla chastened, “Howu! Dada, is an Orisha, and despite his age should not be compared to a human child, He knows the consequences of breaking the laws of Obatala, Ogun was in his right and you are to blame for not putting your child in check, what is a hundred years to an Orisha, go home woman and before you know it you will be with your son again, hopefully more matured and disciplined.

4 Likes

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 3:08pm On Jun 14, 2017
And away she went, weeping from the oracle deity’s presence and came upon Lanroye the trickster.

“Lady Aja also named whirlwind, why do you shed tears enough to drown a village.” He said.

“Away from me spidery one, have you not caused me enough grief? Here you are to mock me after leading my boy astray, be gone from my side else you will never find solace in my forests for all eternity.”

“Howu, fair Lady why blame me for your son’s atrocities for when a child traps a grass cutter, he eats alone, when he traps a bush rat, he also eats it alone, but when he traps Oran the mother of all troubles, he brings it home to his parents, never mistake persuasion for compulsion good woman for they are two things, what has happened has happened, but instead find solution to the issue at hand.”

Lanroye, smooth tongue finally convinced her to seek the only one bold enough to confront the dreaded god, the only one reckless enough to defy Obatala’s law. Me!

She made straight for my realm of storms and met my man servant, Osumare the rainbow deity. Ere his giant rainbow python around his shoulders, told her where to find me, on earth partying with my followers accompanied by Obembe my bard and friend Biri the lord of the Night.

“Greetings Aja, mistress of the forest folk, gnomes and tree spirits, how fared Aroni your lord husband, I hailed as she approached my party. She felled on her knees and cried much to my discomfort.

“Shango Olu Koso, lord husband of the tempest Oya, the lord with the fiery eyes whose spittle is flames, they said you are the champion of the oppressed, where were you when my son dada was snatched from my helpless hands.

“Who would dare do such a thing, I raged my eyes flashed lightening, “why would Aroni the great stand aside and let this insolence on his person go unchallenged?

“It is non-other than Ogun of Ire, also named Lakaaye Oshinmole, the Orisha of war who has water flowing in abundance in his household but prefers to bath in blood she answered and then proceeded to narrate her plight.

“Arise and wipe your tears good mother, go home and prepare your son’s favorite dish for I promise you that he shall come home in time for dinner, Ogun does not have two heads, he has two ears, surely he uses them to hear and he will listen to reason.”

Aja departed with gratitude and I prepared myself to seek out Ogun at his forge under Ire. As fate would have it, I met the smith god at his smithy tinkering with his boring tools, the boy Dada sat tied down by the corner all forlorn and managed to look like an half drowned rat catch in a trap and dragged yards across the forest floor.

3 Likes

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 3:16pm On Jun 14, 2017
“Greetings lord of Ire, custodian of crafts, god of commerce, the silent one who says a thousand words with just a stare.”

“Please spare me the sugary praises and state your business Jakuta, one does not simply see the firefly by day, something must be amiss, and to whom do I owe your surprise visit.”

Ogun wasn’t an Orisha for much banter.

“Ah, a man of few words, I admire that about you Iron one, I come for the boy, surely you do not want some youth sulking all about your forge disturbing your inventions for a hundred full years, allow me to return him to his mother and she will forever be indebted to you, the boy too must have learnt his lesson by now.

“The lizard wants to get married, the wall gecko is the father in-law, the moth boosted to dance at the wedding feast till his wings tears, tell me Jakuta hurler of stones, how does it concern the moth, for he is neither related with the lizard nor the wall gecko, the boy’s case is none of your business. My verdict stays the same, the boy shall serve here for a hundred years, go back to your parties and funfair Olu Koso, this does not concern you.”

“You seem to misinterpret me Lakaaye Oshinmole.” I said, my temper was beginning to get the best of me as I threw attempts at diplomacy out the window. “I did not come begging for the boy, I come to take him for I promised his mother he shall eat at her side this night, and what Shango says he will do, he does.”

“Control the next words that drops from your tongue Shango, do not let the intoxicating power of the axe given to you by my old master steer you like a canoe into your doom, I advise you to trend softly for a figurine made of clay courts disgrace when it asked to be taken to the river to bath.

I am not Elegbara the god of despair, lanroye's twin, whom you slew as a mortal for I am made out of sterner stuff. I was born with a sword in both my hands, I witnessed creation itself, my twin swords cleared the way of the monsters of the deep as I scouted the path for Obatala’s descent to Ile-Ife the cradle of birth, only the law of hospitality holds me from casting you out of my forge and my patience wears thin.”

With a sneer of insolence, I drew Oshe and struck at the flaming chains holding Dada, they parted like wax. Thus free, Dada morphed into a deer, leapt across the forge and fled out the smithy to freedom.

2 Likes

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by HelenBee(f): 3:17pm On Jun 14, 2017
Please continue...

4 Likes

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 3:27pm On Jun 14, 2017
I barely had time to gloat before I was hit with the whirlwind that was Ogun, I was ashamed to say that I was bested that fateful day, the war god’s brass and iron swords flashed like the wings of a dragonfly as I was driven back from the smithy’s out to the skies of Ire as I clumsily wielded Oshe trying hard from getting beheaded.

Having gotten space to breath I summoned lightening and hurled enough tons to level the hill of Ire on its master holding the lightening for as long as I could. When the smokes cleared, I beheld Ogun still standing, black with soot his eyes glowed red, ripping muscles struggled to escape the confines of divine armor, he laughed and tore at his armor, his muscles morphing like ocean waves, Ogun was just getting warmed up as he has gone totally berserk, then I knew I was in trouble.

I knew I had overdone it this time around and the first time since my ascension, I was scared stiff, I have taken the meat from a lion’s mouth and gave it hay instead, I destroyed a wasp’s hovel and I am about to get stung in retribution. With a roar of defiance I hurled myself at my adversary, meaning to end it quickly and allow Oshe decide the outcome, but Ogun weaved under my swing, clasped his arms under my armpit and trapped my arms in place, he then leapt high up into the clouds taking me with him only to dive down to the earth below using my face to clear ten acres of land.

Not done with my stunned body, he sat astride my hip and began to pummel me into the earth; my body dug a crater per mile with each blow. Barely holding on to consciousness, I summoned a whirlwind and flung Ogun a mile away to grant me a few moment respites but he was back before I could blink the stars from my eyes, howling and deranged.

I back handed him a feet back and followed up with another swing from Oshe, it cut him across the face, his hot blood sprayed all over me. Alas, the bastard only hissed and butted me on the nose with his bloody head. He then showed me why he was a chieftain deity, uttering incantations, he stamped on the earth with his foot, the ground splinted and a hoard of dead warriors rose up to fight me, I swung, parried and counter stroke but still they swarmed me.

Scratched and bleeding, with a roar of outrage I unleashed an inferno and the whole canyon we created was a washed with flame, once more alone I faced my foe, his twin swords crossed at his feet.

“Is that all you have up your sleeve god of war?

“Brace yourself god of thunder, for we are just getting started.”

2 Likes

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 3:31pm On Jun 14, 2017
We took to the sky and began hacking at each other, to my shock, his sword carved wounds on my body as did Oshe on his, our blood soon redden the clouds and my story nearly ended as Ogun’s enchanted sword cleaved my left shoulder down towards my chest an inch from my heart.

Mortally wounded, I shamefully fled Ire, Ogun hot on my heels meaning to make me the shortest lived deity in history. I rushed towards the earth calling on Orisha Oko the earth god to grant me asylum, the elder god answered my plea and embraced, me protecting me from Ogun’s wrath with the latter threatening and raving but was unable to reach me, I spent a full hundred years in Oko’s musky realm ashamed to face the world, an irony in itself, for I served Dada’s exact sentence.

After a hundred years had pass, I returned to my abode but the shame of my defeat was not forgotten, for the deities have long memories.

Ogun and I made sure we avoided one another after that but another incident brought about our second clash, this time it was none other than Oya my third wife.

2 Likes

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 3:57pm On Jun 14, 2017
Oya with her duty as the Orisha of tempest and stormy weathers was also the goddess of the cemetery and the battle slain, thus having half her time working with Ogun in the battlefield and the other half with me, I was not best pleased with the arrangement.

A rouge storm spirit raged towards a mortal town in the form of a cyclone, I had quickly flown over to divert its path from the town, awaiting assistance from my wife but Oya was nowhere to be found, with great effort, I managed to change the elements course but not without wreaking havoc on the inhabitants farm lands and barns.

On getting home, my other wives Oshun and Oba saw my cloudy face knew better than to disturb me until I asked about Oya’s whereabouts, their answer did nothing but kindled my anger the more.

Where there is carnage and bloodshed the Orisha of war is certain to be there, so I went after him and found him at his element, looking over a tribal skirmish, my wife Oya at his side.

“What is the meaning of this lord of Ire, because we both share the same roof over our heads does not mean you should share in wearing my under cloths too, calling my wife away at will under the pretense of duty is unacceptable.” I challenged.

“Peace Jakuta, for if you are dedicated to duty as you claim, you should also be here beside me, after all are you not Orisha of chaos and patron god of vigor and strength? Keep your jealousy in check, your beloved only need gather the slain after this war is done then she will be with you, not before for it is her duty.”

“Please husband, Oya wades in trying to placate us both. “I felt the storm spirit but I knew I was not needed for it was a small fry for a deity as great as yours but the slayed souls here would be lost without me to guide them to the beyond, the war will be over soon, and I shall return with you dearest.”

All would have ended well had Ogun not chucked and cheekily joked that he and I were both married to Oya, the sooner I realized the better for all of us. I drew Oshe and cleaved both his sword hands off rendering him useless to fight before he could react. Yes I had the element of surprise behind me, call it an act of cowardly but Ogun knew he and I were at war and at war everything is fair. I then proceeded in Pommelling him with bolts of lightening and would have ended him if he hadn’t had the common sense to flee with me fast at his heels.

Like I did the last time we fought, he also sought refuge with an elder god, but this time it was with Olokun the deep, sovereign of the ocean. Healing at his murky under sea palace while I raved in vain as the sea king refused me entry.

Lo, for that was the exodus of our numerous fights over the centuries, nothing personal, just a rivalry of strength, to narrate our numerous clashes will surely fill a book. As the elders said, the heavens is big enough for birds to fly, without colliding against each other, but the saying does not apply to ogun and I for we are leviathans among birds, the heavens will not and cannot support the two of us.

The end.

4 Likes

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by Cloud007: 11:09am On Aug 19, 2017
Can you please give us a clearer picture of how the lord of jakuta ascended?
Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 1:31pm On Aug 21, 2017
Cloud007:
Can you please give us a clearer picture of how the lord of jakuta ascended?
I actually have a write up for that,in my spare time I will upload it.
Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by Cloud007: 5:06pm On Aug 21, 2017
sheikshegetto:
I actually have a write up for that,in my spare time I will upload it.
many thanks. cant wait cool cheesy
Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 2:29pm On Aug 22, 2017
Cloud007:
many thanks. cant wait cool cheesy
I will be pasting it here, since it's not long enough to earn itself a new post if it's okay by you.
Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by vicadex07(m): 12:54am On Aug 23, 2017
This is so beautiful...you are a unique and very imaginative writer. Pls try and copyright your works. With the right contacts and sponsor, this material is capable of winning you a nobel laureate in literature. I wish I can help personally in any way I can.

All your write ups are amazing.

Its the best thing I have ever read on Nairaland. It makes me so proud and happy to be Yoruba.

3 Likes

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by vicadex07(m): 12:55am On Aug 23, 2017
mynd44
lalasticlala
seun
ishilove
Come and see o!
Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by illicit(m): 8:46am On Aug 23, 2017
very interesting.... I like stories that were bore out of lores I wrote a shorter story sometime ago, you might like it too

1 Like

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by illicit(m): 8:48am On Aug 23, 2017
It suffices that the Elder perished here than the Elder was captured here. We divined for the Chief also known as Down who sleeps in a basket as his leg obstructs the street, he was the patron of the tortoise that cultivates the sky and the son of a belch. It happened that he eavesdropped and learnt that his wife who tied a hundred wrappers but none reached her knees was seeing the marabou that owns a well but baths with spittle... The Moon was their witness. Down was irritated but Ifa warned him of limitations.
So he went to consult his alter ego under the river that just flows and to hunt an alibi where neither the Sun nor the Moon penetrates, it was so dark and eerily silent, you could only hear yourself meditate and maybe Oluweri would counsel you... Oluweri kept a pet, Dark Secrets.
Then he went to the house he built with cotton wool but his wife had absconded. She should have left her head behind, he paid for it. The moon giggled outside where he ate Cayenne pepper and invoked Sango who sent flames to consume the lovers and veiled the sky.
He raised his head and shoulders and levitated, he would surprise the lunatic Moon, teach it to mock, kick it around... He mused as he rose. The World watched. As he peaked the highest mountain, the clouds shifted and he beheld the immensity of the Moon. He was upset. The moon stared him down as he grabbed the clouds futilely and fell because they were slippery... He remembered the Oracle and promised not to fall the way he was, he pronounced the mantra for transfiguration and became a Downpour. So the Chief also known as Down fell on the World.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 10:46am On Aug 23, 2017
vicadex07:
This is so beautiful...you are a unique and very imaginative writer. Pls try and copyright your works. With the right contacts and sponsor, this material is capable of winning you a nobel laureate in literature. I wish I can help personally in any way I can.

All your write ups are amazing.

Its the best thing I have ever read on Nairaland. It makes me so proud and happy to be Yoruba.
thanks a bunch bro, your words means much to me than you realise, I get to hear a lot of interesting folktales from my grandparents growing up,and I believe that by sharing them, I wouldn't be the only one to suffer the enjoyment, this strip is really an exempt from a book I'm actually writing, but I will take your advise into consideration bro..God bless
Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 10:51am On Aug 23, 2017
illicit:
It suffices that the Elder perished here than the Elder was captured here. We divined for the Chief also known as Down who sleeps in a basket as his leg obstructs the street, he was the patron of the tortoise that cultivates the sky and the son of a belch. It happened that he eavesdropped and learnt that his wife who tied a hundred wrappers but none reached her knees was seeing the marabou that owns a well but baths with spittle... The Moon was their witness. Down was irritated but Ifa warned him of limitations.
So he went to consult his alter ego under the river that just flows and to hunt an alibi where neither the Sun nor the Moon penetrates, it was so dark and eerily silent, you could only hear yourself meditate and maybe Oluweri would counsel you... Oluweri kept a pet, Dark Secrets.
Then he went to the house he built with cotton wool but his wife had absconded. She should have left her head behind, he paid for it. The moon giggled outside where he ate Cayenne pepper and invoked Sango who sent flames to consume the lovers and veiled the sky.
He raised his head and shoulders and levitated, he would surprise the lunatic Moon, teach it to mock, kick it around... He mused as he rose. The World watched. As he peaked the highest mountain, the clouds shifted and he beheld the immensity of the Moon. He was upset. The moon stared him down as he grabbed the clouds futilely and fell because they were slippery... He remembered the Oracle and promised not to fall the way he was, he pronounced the mantra for transfiguration and became a Downpour. So the Chief also known as Down fell on the World.
wow!! This is deep...more like a panegyric than a poetry

1 Like

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by illicit(m): 10:58am On Aug 23, 2017
thank you I must say I like your style too
Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 11:07am On Aug 23, 2017
Cloud007

Greetings mortal, here I am again not to share of my adventures nor my exploits but to tell you of my ascension.

I have heard many a tale about koso the place I disappeared, about ayan the great tree on which I was said to have hung, some of the stories portrays my cowardice, some my undiluted pride, some said I was casted out of Oyo by my servants.
Now I shall tell you for most of these things are half truths.

Before my asension into godhood, i was a yoruba warrior prince of the old Oyo Empire, I was the youngest son, the eldest; Eweka, ruled as the Oba of the kingdom of Benin, the second; my older half-brother Ajaka, was crown prince of Oyo; shackled by duties of state watched me with jealousy as I gamboled round the empire and beyond, carefree and wild, the parties and dances were where you would find me.

I was not far from skirmishes, conflicts and adventures, the duties of a prince were the least of my problems.

4 Likes

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 11:10am On Aug 23, 2017
For that burden was for another. When our father Oranmiyan the conqueror joined his ancestors, my brother Ajaka became the Alaafin of Oyo but he was a shadow of our warlike sire, preferring peace and shunning violence until some subject kingdoms became bold enough to claim their independence and rebelled. Fearing for the future of the empire; the kingmakers had him dethroned and to my misfortune, I was called back home to sit on the throne of Oyo.

I gave the empire what she craved, conquest’’ I crushed the rebellions and my campaigns ate up every tribe that dared to face my rampaging war-boys. They were stamped flat till there was no country powerful enough to halt the might of the Oyo cavalries. The tribesmen were subdued as dried reeds bends before the harmattan wind as I stand astride the savannah, a colossus amidst men, I earned my glory, moving out from under my illustrious father’s enormous shadow. After i have dipped Oshe; my double bladed battle axe into the sea, I returned back to the capital.

3 Likes

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 11:13am On Aug 23, 2017
Power as the elders says intoxicates, for with greater power I became a tyrant. With no one bold enough to give battle I became bored and restless, for I had no patient for the wiles of court, I craved more power.

I had the power of men, I also longed for the supernatural might’s of the Orishas (deities). I employed powerful herbalists to make charms for me, I bathed with and drank magic draughts till I almost lost my humanity, I became insane with power, an offending noble was swiftly punished by hurling lightning bolts down on his or her compound, for ‘Ara’ the spirit of thunder was the first element that bowed to my will, for it came in form of a thunder stone which I threw at my enemies at will, earning me the name Jakuta; (hurler of stones).

‘‘Iji; the element of storms came willingly for I used it quite often, with it doing what it does best with enthusiastic glee, I became a god king and all trembled at my name but still, I wanted more, and that began my undoing.

‘Ina’, the fire element was the most unbalanced of its kind for it burns friends and foes regardless, still I thirsted after it for I sent my slaves to the wild countries of Bariba to seek this element at the cost of their lives, they brought it, simply because Ina itself was curious and wanted to meet the foolhardy mortal that wanted it for himself. I was no mean mortal, for I am the demigod great grandson of the legendary Oduduwa. I bent the element to my will, my fame spread far and wide for my bards used to end my praises and panegyrics with the word (ina loju ina lenu) meaning the lord with the fiery eyes whose spittle’s are fire, Alas, I became like Ina itself, not recognizing friend from foe, for in a bout of rage I accidently set fire to my palace and half the capital.

2 Likes

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 11:16am On Aug 23, 2017
My wives and children were killed in the great fire and I was left with the three that accompanied me to the hilltop behind my palace. My first wife Oshun, her rival Oba and my favorite, Oya, as beautiful as the harmattan dusk. Mildly rebuked, I rebuilt my palace and Oyo-ile, the capital city and then settled down to my duties for a while till my restless spirit betrayed me again.

By then my subjects have had enough and revolted, for they groaned under my heavy hand, the OyoMesi rejected me as they have rejected my brother, but this time around they sent me a calabash, in it was a parrot egg, the symbol of total rejection. Meaning the entire people of Oyo has rejected me and I should go to sleep (for Yoruba kings do not die).

2 Likes

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 11:18am On Aug 23, 2017
Mad with rage at this open showbof rebellion, I refused to neither commit ritual suicide nor leave the throne. I told them to do their worst, then a civil war began that almost destroyed the empire from within, I poured out the blood of my loyal warriors like water as the capital became like a city of the dead. finally, the deities interfered and Obatala; the lord in white cloths, cured me of my madness and gave me back my lost humanity, my eyes was as one opened after darkness and I saw the carnage I had wreaked on my land and people, ashamed at what I have done that I agreed to vacate the throne for my brother Ajaka and left the city forever.

Towards the land of my mother, a princess of the Tapa in Nupe country, I headed for exile with my three wives, the remnant of my warriors and my slaves, but the shame of disgrace and fear of moving to a strange land overcame love and duty, for my followers deserted me, leaving in twos and threes until I was left with my wives.

Dejected, I called my wives and told them to go back to Oyo and to their families for there they had much to live for than in a foreign land with me, at first they refused and vowed to go wherever I go till I commanded them as their lord and master to return to Oyo, Oshun and Oba my first and second wives after shedding many a tear obeyed me and returned to the city, but Oya my beloved; dark as dawn graceful as the gazelle refused to turn back and told me to do my worst, inwardly grateful at heart for this act of love and loyalty I continued on my journey and Oya followed.

2 Likes

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 11:22am On Aug 23, 2017
It wasn’t long before the perils of the journey began to gain on Oya, with fear on her soft brown eyes she begged me to return with her to Oyo, the wild country of the Tapa was no safe place for an outsider, even for a disgraced emperor.

But for the stubborn proud blood of my race I told her I would not return but she could if she wanted, with great tears of regret and shame she also turned on the road back. my brave Oya, the last to turn her back but I blamed her not, for it was a great shame indeed to be buried away from the land of our forebears, I continued alone for a while till I also felt the same shame they felt after how great I had risen to become an exile in my mother’s land, the road to shame and the escape of death stared me in the eye.

I decided to commit suicide than bare the shame. But all the powers I had procured finally came mocking for poison would not kill me and steel refused to open the skin to my heart, in despair I seek out nearby trees to hang. Alas the trees broke at my weight till I begged a certain Ayan tree to hold me until I had breath my last and it would be renowned forever, Ayan agreed as I climbed the great tree in relief.

2 Likes

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by sheikshegetto(m): 11:31am On Aug 23, 2017
Obatala the sculpturer, king in white cloths, Oba of the Orishas, appeared; accompanied by the elder gods. Orunmilla the oracle, provider of knowledge, Olokun the sea king and Orisha Oko the ancient earth, stood watching my futile efforts to commit suicide asked me what I was doing, in anger I cursed the Orisha hoping they would strike me and end my misery, the King deity simply smiled and told me to cease my efforts for I cannot die.

For in my numerous drinking of portions and draughts in my pursuit of power I swallowed AgboAiku, the herb of undying itself unknowingly for Lanroye the trickster god disguised as a human herbalist gave it to me for purpose known to him, in anger, the Orishas raged at the audacity of the mortal king and Ogun the deity of war and iron was sent to pluck me from my lofty throne but for once the blacksmith god hesitated and told the others to look at me more closely, Orunmilla read my destiny and saw that I had dominion over the violent elements, the wild feral elements that for centuries no god or man could control, then the gods decided to watch me carefully but Lanroye had more plans, for he was the one suggesting lusty thoughts to my mind as I hungered after more power until I have swallowed Ina the element of fire and became neither god nor man.

Then the king deity proposed for me to join his brother Oduduwa, my great grandfather at Orun Alakeji the beyond, the invisible realm of the Orishas and became a deity of these elements I had swallowed and walk amidst the Orishas forever, I agreed and ascended with them thus became an Orisha.

my beautiful Oya filled with shame for deserting me returned in hope of overtaking me saw the rope with which I wanted to hang on the Ayan tree feared the worst, in despair she took her life, I begged the Orishas to save her, they did and I took her with me.

Oshun my first wife in shame could not return to Oyo committed suicide at Oshogbo, Yemoja the mother of all waters took pity on her and changed her to the river Oshun, Oba her eternal rival not to be outplayed also committed suicide at Oba named after her, she also became a river goddess, till today both rivers met at a tributary ever crashing with a great sound and the people would say lo the emperors wives are fighting again, thus my faithful wives came to be with me to the end and my followers having heard the rumor that I was dead found the broken trees and Ayan the last surviving tree with the rope still hanging asked themselves ‘Oba so?’’ (Has the king hanged?) I replied them with thunder and lightning, they bowed and hailed Oba Koso meaning the king did not hang and headed back to Oyo to proclaim my ascending with their pride returned with them. Some believed and a few did not, another few began to mock me and my new worshippers, my retribution was swift as I hurled lightening and brimstones on their unfortunate households, when they saw the flash of my lightening illuminate the sky, they needed nobody else to persuade them to hail Oba koso.

The end.

3 Likes

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by MrPresident1: 12:25pm On Aug 23, 2017
Sango Olukoso
Akata yeriyeri
Ina loju ina lenu
Olowo ori Oya

Parararararararararara!!!!!!!!
Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by Cloud007: 12:56pm On Aug 23, 2017
sheikshegetto:
Obatala the sculpturer, king in white cloths, Oba of the Orishas, appeared; accompanied by the elder gods. Orunmilla the oracle, provider of knowledge, Olokun the sea king and Orisha Oko the ancient earth, stood watching my futile efforts to commit suicide asked me what I was doing, in anger I cursed the Orisha hoping they would strike me and end my misery, the King deity simply smiled and told me to cease my efforts for I cannot die.

For in my numerous drinking of portions and draughts in my pursuit of power I swallowed AgboAiku, the herb of undying itself unknowingly for Lanroye the trickster god disguised as a human herbalist gave it to me for purpose known to him, in anger, the Orishas raged at the audacity of the mortal king and Ogun the deity of war and iron was sent to pluck me from my lofty throne but for once the blacksmith god hesitated and told the others to look at me more closely, Orunmilla read my destiny and saw that I had dominion over the violent elements, the wild feral elements that for centuries no god or man could control, then the gods decided to watch me carefully but Lanroye had more plans, for he was the one suggesting lusty thoughts to my mind as I hungered after more power until I have swallowed Ina the element of fire and became neither god nor man.

Then the king deity proposed for me to join his brother Oduduwa, my great grandfather at Orun Alakeji the beyond, the invisible realm of the Orishas and became a deity of these elements I had swallowed and walk amidst the Orishas forever, I agreed and ascended with them thus became an Orisha.

my beautiful Oya filled with shame for deserting me returned in hope of overtaking me saw the rope with which I wanted to hang on the Ayan tree feared the worst, in despair she took her life, I begged the Orishas to save her, they did and I took her with me.

Oshun my first wife in shame could not return to Oyo committed suicide at Oshogbo, Yemoja the mother of all waters took pity on her and changed her to the river Oshun, Oba her eternal rival not to be outplayed also committed suicide at Oba named after her, she also became a river goddess, till today both rivers met at a tributary ever crashing with a great sound and the people would say lo the emperors wives are fighting again, thus my faithful wives came to be with me to the end and my followers having heard the rumor that I was dead found the broken trees and Ayan the last surviving tree with the rope still hanging asked themselves ‘Oba so?’’ (Has the king hanged?) I replied them with thunder and lightning, they bowed and hailed Oba Koso meaning the king did not hang and headed back to Oyo to proclaim my ascending with their pride returned with them. Some believed and a few did not, another few began to mock me and my new worshippers, my retribution was swift as I hurled lightening and brimstones on their unfortunate households, when they saw the flash of my lightening illuminate the sky, they needed nobody else to persuade them to hail Oba koso.

The end.
Arabambi Aremu, the mighty one of Koso was very adventurous. as like a sharp contrast as we are in person. I still envy the lord of jakuta's lifestyle than Lakaiye the lord of Ire. cool.

its interesting to have a window to peep on the old world of the renown.

nice write up bro.

1 Like

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by deleobaremi(m): 7:05pm On Jan 29, 2018
How do i contact you

1 Like

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by Vulcanheph(m): 6:44am On Feb 28, 2018
Has anyone noticed the similarities between yoruba deities and greek gods. sango-zeus ogun- ares shokiti-hephaestus lanroe-hermes olokun-poseidon

1 Like

Re: Ogun & Shango-the Eternal Rivalry by Cloud007: 1:34am On May 06, 2018
Vulcanheph:
Has anyone noticed the similarities between yoruba deities and greek gods.
sango-zeus
ogun- ares
shokiti-hephaestus
lanroe-hermes
olokun-poseidon
I guess they are all same......the world of the mighty nephlims.... Bible called them men of renown. And they still walk among us quitely.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Formal Education Is No Longer The Best Legacy / Love And Romance : Crazy In Love For You / All That Glitters: A Short Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.