Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer (11302 Views)

My Employer Does Not Want Me To Leave - Please Advice Me / Dear Employer, Have You Seen Neymar New Salary Breakdown? – Nigerian / List Of Things You Are Entitled To By Law From Your Employer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by TinaAnita(f): 9:49pm On Jun 14, 2017
For heaven' sake what's your prospective employer up to? Why must the so-called reference come from present job? Be careful bruh so you don't end up losing both jobs. A bird at hand is worth a million in the bush

2 Likes

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by Flintstone06(m): 9:49pm On Jun 14, 2017
In his defense, my boss called my colleague's former boss without her consent before my colleague joined us.

So, it's very possible but guy, get a colleague to act as your boss so that we don't hear stories that touch except if you and your boss rock n roll together.
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by Emassive(m): 9:55pm On Jun 14, 2017
They are not been honest. My wife's new employer contact her former only after she had resumed on the new job then the HR was referred back to her to contact them ( former employee ) personally so she can clear her debt which was the Yearly rent allowance received before resigning from their coy.

From my personal experience, accept the offer before allowing them contact you current employee.

code9:
I am in the midst of applying for a new job. I have interviewed three times with a prospective employer and have been told that I am one of the final candidates for the position.

The HR rep contacted me and asked if they can contact my current manager/supervisor for a reference. I explained that I would prefer they not contact my manager, since it may jeopardize my standing with my current employer. They keep insisting that they speak with my current manager, but I am afraid that if they do, my current employer may let me go in layoffs or attempt to force me out of the job somehow (i.e., re-assign, transfer, etc).

Am I obligated to provide the reference to the prospective employer? I feel that their insistence is unprofessional and inappropriate. What if they contact my employer and end up not offering me the job? Or what if I don’t accept the job offer? What is the best way to handle this without losing either job?

Please do the needful wink

1 Like

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by ceenote: 10:00pm On Jun 14, 2017
Don't provide your current employer as a reference. If they're serious about hiring you, they should accept references from your previous employers.

I never use a current employer as a reference for a job lead that I'm pursuing.
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by 0b100100111: 10:08pm On Jun 14, 2017
banmee:

No normal company would ask you to get references from your current employer. It is just not standard practice. Previous employer i get but your current one? That's insane.

Hello! Except such company is not intuned with ethics! What if you were on an permanent immigration plan? Its a quest to forge ahead in your career, have been there thrice and I know what am talking about.

Put a formal application in and wait for outcome....... No HR will get you sacked for such request except it's an insane company

People have routed 4 companies in 2years an got such recommendation letter

It's either it's a one man business.... multinationals re well intuned. Infact, they broacast your last note as at time of departure

1 Like

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jun 14, 2017
Ahh angry this duck don suffer from una hand o, ehh angry
LastSurvivor11:
Savages in the name HRs
What if you didn't eventually get the job??
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by bossrillboss: 10:21pm On Jun 14, 2017
DeadPresident:

It boils down to They will call your current employer and at the end of the day you don't get the job, what do you think your current employer would do after you unsuccessfully tried to leave his company ?? He will fire you

Now, you don't have a job with your current employer and the people who put you in that situation didn't give you a job too

The next thing you would do is to start creating a threads on Nairaland. "i need help, i can't feed my family" "i need help, i can't pay my bills"

..guy na wa for u o..u just finish d mata chap chap..I hail u oooo.lol

1 Like

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by bossrillboss: 10:22pm On Jun 14, 2017
saasala:
Go and forge a letter na

And be ready to join Nnamdi Kanu in jail when he gets arrested again
..choi..Walahi u no well.lol
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by mosesbola(f): 10:34pm On Jun 14, 2017
Pleasse i need job ooo.

I dont mind taking your position when yu leave your current company..

Pls contact me on 08051691231...

I NEED JOB SERIOUSLY
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by seun70(m): 10:39pm On Jun 14, 2017
This is absolutely wrong, it is not about whether he has confidence in himself or not, it is about doing what is appropriate.
References should be after you have been employed by the new employer and not before.

I am presently in the same situation (though in the UK), although I have scaled through the interview process and have been verbally told I passed but because I have signed a contract of employment I told the new company not to contact my current employer for reference and they understood.

Abduljohn:
I understand your fear but its still boils down to the relationship between you and your present boss. In my case my boss actually wishes us well and encourage us to exploit the environment. If you have confidence in yourself I advise allow them am sure it ll even add to chance.
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by tpapi: 10:44pm On Jun 14, 2017
ur current boss is surely going to fire you wen he or she gets contacted.
Secondly it is unprofessional, unacceptable n foolish of d interviewer trying to get reference from ur current employer wen u v not yet been assured of d job

2 Likes

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jun 14, 2017
free2ryhme:

NO HR will insist on calling your reference since you object

guy stop lying
Pinocchio I suppose in your posted pics
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by banmee(m): 11:49pm On Jun 14, 2017
[quote author=0b100100111 post=57524219]

Hello! Except such company is not intuned with ethics! What if you were on an permanent immigration plan? Its a quest to forge ahead in your career, have been there thrice and I know what am talking about.

Put a formal application in and wait for outcome....... No HR will get you sacked for such request except it's an insane company

People have routed 4 companies in 2years an got such recommendation letter

It's either it's a one man business.... multinationals re well intuned. Infact, they broacast your last note as at time of departure [/quote

I guess it's the Nigerian style.
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by danla44(m): 12:54am On Jun 15, 2017
Hmn.... Funny you.

It seem you still love your curent job, so why do you go for another interview?
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by lastclaire4(f): 1:20am On Jun 15, 2017
This is usually the problem when people who studied secretarial studies, zoology etc go into hr. I am sure the hr who is insisting on that is new to hr. That is why he doesn't know the ethics peculiar with the Nigerian society. I mean what is the hr trying to prove? "I know work?". Even in the UK they can't get in touch with your current employer while still on the job. I advise you not to try it because that is what will be used to play you down when it comes to offer of pay you won't have any choice but to accept anything.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by Adexy4us(m): 6:44am On Jun 15, 2017
Sunofgod:
Get one of your colleagues to pretend to be your boss.

Just give hr his or her email address and mobile number.

Trust me when i say.....It works grin

Exactly what I did to a friend.... he's now working in mtn now
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by dyangprof(m): 7:08am On Jun 15, 2017
code9:
I am in the midst of applying for a new job. I have interviewed three times with a prospective employer and have been told that I am one of the final candidates for the position.

The HR rep contacted me and asked if they can contact my current manager/supervisor for a reference. I explained that I would prefer they not contact my manager, since it may jeopardize my standing with my current employer. They keep insisting that they speak with my current manager, but I am afraid that if they do, my current employer may let me go in layoffs or attempt to force me out of the job somehow (i.e., re-assign, transfer, etc).

Am I obligated to provide the reference to the prospective employer? I feel that their insistence is unprofessional and inappropriate. What if they contact my employer and end up not offering me the job? Or what if I don’t accept the job offer? What is the best way to handle this without losing either job?

say yes dey should contact ya manager.

be rest asure dey wil definitely nt do dat.

dey ar only testing u.

Am an HR personnel and i know wot dey mean.
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by mapet: 7:15am On Jun 15, 2017
AntiWailer:
I dnt gerit. Ok let me assume you are not LIEING.

In a sensible organization, reference would be gotten from your former employer after they have already employed you.

I will advise you don't join this organization.They seem to be thinking upside down.

Why will they contact your current employer on top how much increment ?

I have done a double pay (100% increase in salary) movement before and did not have to go through the trauma they are putting you through right now.

If they contact your current employer, trust me it is risky for ur career. They might not employ you and your current employer will already doubt your loyalty.

You have mirrored my mind........Such irresponsible organisation, ill-trained and crap HR people

Recall that Jimoh Ibrahim will publish the names of successful candidates in national newspapers, thereby jeopardizing some of these workers in their present jobs. Heard about someone who had told a prospective coy that he could not take the offer except the increase the pay package they were offering, yet his name came out in the newspaper, when he was yet to resign his current job.
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by decub: 7:17am On Jun 15, 2017
code9:

It might just be a strategy (psychologically) to ascertain if you have a good relationship with your current employer.

It is unprofessional for them to contact your current employer when they've not given you an appointment. The most they can do is to verify if you actually work in that organisation and HRs know how they do it without the company knowing they wanna pull you out. Some interviewers will ask you if they have a permission from you to contact your employer, simply tell them yes-most of them will never do.

I would have told them from day one that they are free to contact my employer if I were in your shoes. It shows that you are confident enough and has nothing to fear about whatever enquiry they are making.
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by code9(m): 10:44am On Jun 15, 2017
dyangprof:

say yes dey should contact ya manager.

be rest asure dey wil definitely nt do dat.

dey ar only testing u.

Am an HR personnel and i know wot dey mean.

I have been reading all the comments and just laughing at some people. This Coy is damn serious on my current reference. I took advice of someone here and Used the reference of one of the HR persons i pally with well in my company. In less than 24 hours after I sent the contact, a mail landed in my HR email from the coy.

I was lucky I did not put My main ED HR name in it. If not my beans for don done by now.

Recruiters in Nigeria can be very funny at times, but the company itself as an international security based firm, are strict on security bg checks
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by Nautillus(m): 12:30pm On Jun 15, 2017
Dear Poster,

Tell the HR Manager that you're in a stealth job search and can't give permission for her or anyone else from his or her company to talk to your current boss.

It's an inappropriate request. The accepted HR practice is that you can get references from any other employer, but not from a job-seeker's current place of employment.

If they aren't impressed enough by your background to hire you without a reference from your current workplace, then they should hire somebody else.

Presumably you've given them a list of three to five references they can contact. If that's not good enough for them, they aren't the right employer for you.

Just because somebody wants something -- a reference from your current boss, in this case -- doesn't mean they should get it!

Tell the new company they will have to make their hiring decision without the benefit of talking to your present boss or anyone else from your current employer.

It's ironic that an employer would feel so hesitant about hiring you that they'd ask you to jeopardize your employment to give them a little more information.

They already have a lot more information about you than you have about them!

They have your resume. They can look at your LinkedIn profile and ask you questions about it. They can read recommendations other LinkedIn users have written about you. They can ask you any question they want to ask about your background and your skills.

If all that information isn't enough for them, maybe they are fearful weenies who don't deserve you!

Finding your voice and your backbone are critical steps for every job-seeker and working person to take. Whether these folks hire you or not, you will grow new muscles through this experience!

All the best,

1 Like

Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by spandola: 1:29pm On Jun 15, 2017
Hello Bro,

It actually depends on your relationship with your boss.I remember about 9 yrs ago when my present company (A multinational firm) invited me for a written test;I told my line manager of four months (That i joined the firm) and he gave me his blessings.On getting to the text venue,i met him sitting to write the same test. Fortunately for me i made it and he he did not.
He helped me all through my exit and ensured i did not sign my confirmation letter of which i was due for confirmation,else i would be forfeiting 2 months salary.We are still very close up till tomorrow.
So bro there is really nothing wrong about that.If God says the job belongs to you,no body will take it from you.

All the best.
Re: Interviewer Wants Reference From Current Employer by dyangprof(m): 1:37pm On Jun 15, 2017
code9:

I have been reading all the comments and just laughing at some people. This Coy is damn serious on my current reference. I took advice of someone here and Used the reference of one of the HR persons i pally with well in my company. In less than 24 hours after I sent the contact, a mail landed in my HR email from the coy.

I was lucky I did not put My main ED HR name in it. If not my beans for don done by now.

Recruiters in Nigeria can be very funny at times, but the company itself as an international security based firm, are strict on security bg checks

hmmm. its well

one man food might be another man poison.
if its a strong security firm dey can do un expected.

its wel ijn.

(1) (2) (Reply)

6 Dangerous Sets Of People You Will Find In A Typical Workplace By Johnspeak / Is ISPON A Recognized Institute? / What Would You Do If You Know You’ll Be Sacked Next Week?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.