Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,489 members, 7,812,526 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:42 PM

Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. (13106 Views)

Hannah Reuben Wins Silver Medal At The 2019 African Wrestling / Nigeria U-15 Wins Silver At African Youth Games, Loses 3-1 To Morocco In Final / Wrestling: Nigeria’s Adekuoroye Wins Silver At World Championship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by johnie: 7:20am On Jun 15, 2017
naptu2:
Los Angeles 1984 Olympics

What a throwback! I watched this fight live with my dad in 1984 and we felt that Konyegwachi should have won. It was very close, but I felt that Taylor won the first round, while Konyegwachi won the second and third rounds. This should have been Nigeria's first Olympic gold medal. (I thought that Taylor won because he had the home advantage).

Thanks for the mention.

Joe Lasisi still insists that his loss to Virgil Hill in their world title clash is the US was because the fight was staged in there and he received no support from the Nigerian government.

According to him, the only other Nigerian apart from his training crew at the fight was a journalist.

As a matter of fact, one interesting thing he said in an interview years later is that he was offered American citizenship just before the fight.

According to him, if he had taken up the offer he would have won the bout.

He turned down the offer according to him, because he would have seemed ungrateful to Nigeria.

Isn't it interesting that just a few years later, our athletes began switching nationality without batting eyelids.

Francis Obikwelu and Glory Anozie readily come to mind.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by tuscani: 7:22am On Jun 15, 2017
It was robbery, Peter konyegwachi won that fight
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Nobody: 7:26am On Jun 15, 2017
Lots of flurry of punches from Konyegwachie that missed target. Good lateral movement from him but Taylor seem more purposeful. I think he landed better shots.

Konyegwachie's body movement might deceive lots of people but I didn't think he won this fight.

That punch from Taylor in the first round and stagger from Peter might have also contributed to the judge's decision. Scoring method was based on points scored by throwing the punches from the shoulder i suppose and not really the aggression shown. If the points were even, I think the more seemingly aggresssve boxer would get the decision.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by wickyyolo: 7:28am On Jun 15, 2017
naptu2:
LA '84 was a relatively good Olympics for Nigeria. We also won bronze in the 4x400 relay (Innocent Egbunike, Rotimi Peters, Sunday Uti and Moses Ugbusien).

Seoul '88 was a disaster and we didn't achieve success again until Barcelona '92.

Seoulv88 was because MKO Abiola took his greed there and started dictating things.
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Austinbass12(m): 7:31am On Jun 15, 2017
dayleke:
Nigeria shall be great again.....
when?
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Nobody: 7:31am On Jun 15, 2017
johnie:

Thanks for the mention.

Joe Lasisi still claims that his loss to Virgil Hill in ygeir

Virgil Hill destroyed Lasisi. What's the claim. Lasisi did well in the continent but fumbled when he went global.

He beat Joe Allotey of Ghana so bad that Allotey was seeimg double. Allotey later claimed that Lasisi fought him with 'black magic' aka juju. Jerry Okorodudu said the same thing about Lasisi using babalawo power but they were all rubbish. Lasisi was better.. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by toprealman: 7:38am On Jun 15, 2017
Austinbass12:
when?
SOONEST
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by scalpel: 7:41am On Jun 15, 2017
A certain Konyegwachie was Nigerian boxer Efe Ajagba's coach in Rio last year. Am sure its the same person.

Nice throwback naptu2

Boxing has always been our sport,same with the sprints.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Nobody: 8:02am On Jun 15, 2017
The same Meldrick Taylor later became a two weight world champion in the ibf junior welter weight and wba welterweight. He was a world champion around 1992.

Konyegwachie retired in 1990 while Taylor had his last fight in 2002.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by azaino: 8:03am On Jun 15, 2017
IpobExposed:
Biafra must be stopped can't u see we are great as one?

But Konyegwachie is an IPOB, Hahahahahahaha!!!
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by erico2k2(m): 8:07am On Jun 15, 2017
naptu2:
Los Angeles 1984 Olympics

What a throwback! I watched this fight live with my dad in 1984 and we felt that Konyegwachi should have won. It was very close, but I felt that Taylor won the first round, while Konyegwachi won the second and third rounds. This should have been Nigeria's first Olympic gold medal. (I thought that Taylor won because he had the home advantage).

In my opinion, Konyegwachie was more mobile and landed more punches (he injured Taylor above the eye), while Taylor landed the heavier punches (I believe that he was looking for a knockout) and was too static.

I've been searching for this clip for a long time because I wanted to confirm that I was right in 1984. I still think that Konyegwachi should have won, but it now appears closer than I thought it was in the heat of the moment in 1984. What do you think?

Los Angeles 1984 Olympic Games Boxing 57kg Final
Meldrick Taylor (USA) v Peter Konyegwachie (NGR)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL9TX_UNhVI
I will never forget this fight . Was the 1st Olympic I watched since we had the 4 leged TV that year . grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by GavelSlam: 8:14am On Jun 15, 2017
johnie:

Thanks for the mention.

Joe Lasisi still insists that his loss to Virgil Hill in their world title clash is the US was because the fight was staged in there and he received no support from the Nigerian government.

According to him, the only other Nigerian apart from his training crew at the fight was a journalist.

As a matter of fact, one interesting thing he said in an interview years later is that he was offered American citizenship just before the fight.

He turned down the offer according to him, because he would have seemed ungrateful to Nigeria.

Isn't it interesting that just a few years later, our athletes began switching nationality without batting eyelids.

Staged as in he accepted to take a fall or what?

Virgil treated him like a kid in the ring.
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by chinex276(m): 8:17am On Jun 15, 2017
bestman09:
Good old days. I also watched it live then. Bendel state was then the number one sporting state. BTW, where is Peter Konyegwachie and Davidson Ande now?

the elders in council of nairaland...
gu'Mon sa!! *prostrating*
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by naptu2: 8:20am On Jun 15, 2017
johnie:

Thanks for the mention.

I still think that Virgil Hill beat him. Joe Lasisi had something in common with Thomas Hearns. They both look really terrible after they lost a match. Lasisi's lips were terribly swollen after that fight.

1 Like

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by naptu2: 8:22am On Jun 15, 2017
scalpel:
A certain Konyegwachie was Nigerian boxer Efe Ajagba's coach in Rio last year. Am sure its the same person.

Nice throwback naptu2

I am not 100% certain, but I think that's his brother who also represented Nigeria at the Olympics.
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by jaszplus12(m): 8:27am On Jun 15, 2017
thanks for the throw back bro...
i remember that match as though it were yesterday...also watched it live with most of other games then
really he deserved the match but we know he was robbed.
hope we can see were we need to charge u our patrotism to enable us excel.
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by naptu2: 8:31am On Jun 15, 2017
gbosaa:

Virgil Hill destroyed Lasisi. What's the claim. Lasisi did well in the continent but fumbled when he went global.

He beat Joe Allotey of Ghana so bad that Allotey was seeimg double. Allotey later claimed that Lasisi fought him with 'black magic' aka juju. Jerry Okorodudu said the same thing about Lasisi using babalawo power but they were all rubbish. Lasisi was better.. grin grin

That was actually Jeremiah Okorodudu.

Lasisi vs Okorodudu was the biggest fight in Nigerian domestic boxing in the 1980s. Okorodudu said that Lasisi used juju and that he saw 3 Joe Lasisis in the ring. (Of course he would see 3 Joe Lasisis when he was punch drunk). They still argue over the fight today.

That was one of the two funniest comments in Nigerian sports that year. The other was made by Abass Mohamed.

Abass Mohammed was the Nigerian marathon champion, but the Ethiopians tactically defeated him at Lagos '89 African Athletics Championships. Journalists asked him what happened to him, because he was the home favourite and he was familiar with the route. His reply was. . . "It's from my village. They tied my leg in my village". I almost died of laughter.

3 Likes

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by johnie: 8:42am On Jun 15, 2017
GavelSlam:

Staged as in he accepted to take a fall or what?

Virgil treated him like a kid in the ring.

I have no doubt that Lasisi lost that match.

My interest is the fact that within a few short years Nigerian athletes began to actively seek to change their nationality to further their careers.
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by GavelSlam: 8:48am On Jun 15, 2017
johnie:

I have no doubt that Lasisi lost that match.

My interest is the fact that within a few short years Nigerian athletes began to actively seek to change their nationality to further their careers.

Because there was a biting and severe economic downturn with no reward for the good old handwork.

Brain drain and power drain were fallouts of a system that just wouldn't work.
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by woodmood: 8:56am On Jun 15, 2017
[quote author=wickyyolo post=57530613]

Seoulv88 was because MKO Abiola took his greed there and started dictating things.[/quot

Just the way Atiku Abubakar' greed prevented Super Eagles from beating south Africa last Saturday.

Please don't start another debate especially if you are not able to recall Seoul 88 vividly. It is too early.
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by wickyyolo: 9:02am On Jun 15, 2017
[quote author=woodmood post=57533287][/quote]
if you or any of your close relatives were not there. don't question me
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by trychris: 9:03am On Jun 15, 2017
No he is Anthony
scalpel:

Nice throwback naptu2

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by judgedredd22(m): 9:03am On Jun 15, 2017
crazyABO:
Mehn we get some idols for NL wey need sacrifice once in a while grin

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by judgedredd22(m): 9:09am On Jun 15, 2017
naptu2:

Lasisi vs Okorodudu was the biggest fight in Nigerian domestic boxing in the 1980s. Okorodudu said that Lasisi used juju and that he saw 3 Joe Lasisis in the ring. (Of course he would see 3 Joe Lasisis when he was punch drunk). They still argue over the fight today.

That was one of the two funniest comments in Nigerian sports that year. The other was made by Abass Mohamed.

Abass Mohammed was the Nigerian marathon champion, but the Ethiopians tactically defeated him at Lagos '89 African Athletics Championships. Journalists asked him what happened to him, because he was the home favourite and he was familiar with the route. His reply was. . . "It's from my village. They tied my leg in my village". I almost died of laughter.

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Elcapo(m): 9:25am On Jun 15, 2017
naptu2:

I laughed like a mad man in the car when I read this... **punch Drunk** grin grin grin
"It's from my village" those really kraked me hard
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Reptyle(m): 9:40am On Jun 15, 2017
Konyegwachie had a clear edge in this fight. In my opinion, he was robbed of the gold medal.

Even the ringside commentator had nothing but praise for Konyegwachie all through the fight. I am sure he was shocked to see the victory go to the American.
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by Reptyle(m): 9:42am On Jun 15, 2017
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by naptu2: 9:48am On Jun 15, 2017
judgedredd22:

Elcapo:

I laughed like a mad man in the car when I read this... **punch Drunk** grin grin grin
"It's from my village" those really kraked me hard

Abass Mohammed was a soldier from the highlands of Plateau and this (the altitude in Plateau and his military training) gave him an advantage when running against other Nigerians. He dominated the Milo Marathon from c1984 to the early 1990s. He always led the races from the beginning. The only Nigerian that could challenge him was Yohanna Waziri.

The marathon route for the African Athletics Championship was essentially the same as the Milo Marathon route. National Stadium → Eko Bridge → Ikoyi→ Third Mainland Bridge → Yaba → Western Avenue → National Stadium.

That was the first time that I realised that the marathon is a team sport. The Ethiopians won it because of their tactics and teamwork.

An Ethiopian broke away from the pack while they were at Surulere. Abass Mohamed chased him. Abass Mohamed and this Ethiopian led all the way from Surulere to Ikoyi. Then the Ethiopian fell back and another Ethiopian took off and led the way from Ikoyi to Yaba. Abass Mohamed chased him also and they exchanged first posotion a few times.

Then, on Western Avenue, in Surulere, another Ethiopian (Tekla Gebreselasie) took off. Abass Mohamed tried to chase him, but he was completely exhausted. Many other runners overtook him. Tekla Gebreselasie won, another Ethiopian came second, I think a Kenyan came third and another Ethiopian came fourth.

Abass Mohamed came 6th or 7th. Yohanna Waziri finished before him. Nigerian journalists swarmed around him at the finish line, trying to get a comment from him. That's when he said that his legs were tied in his village.
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by ShySteady(m): 10:31am On Jun 15, 2017
And his younger brother has been in Jos, Plateau State swallowing the family glory and raising shoulders.

At every opportunity to open his mouth, what you hear irritatingly is "don't you know my brother?"

#smh
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by dfrost: 11:19am On Jun 15, 2017
IpobExposed:
Biafra must be stopped can't u see we are great as one?

Take your tribalism out of this thread angry. Uncle naptu2 does not do tribalistic threads. Keep it to yourself and your likes.

Good morning naptu2 cheesy grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by stagger: 11:28am On Jun 15, 2017
naptu2:

Lasisi the Customs officer actually beat Joe Allotey as well. Battered him in 2 rounds and Allotey put up his hands in surrender. Okorodudu was beaten in 7 rounds. Also put up his hands in surrender after he said he was seeing multiple instances of Lasisi.
Re: Throwback: Peter Konyegwachie Wins Silver For Nigeria At The LA 1984 Olympics. by stagger: 11:30am On Jun 15, 2017
Reptyle:
Konyegwachie had a clear edge in this fight. In my opinion, he was robbed of the gold medal.

Even the ringside commentator had nothing but praise for Konyegwachie all through the fight. I am sure he was shocked to see the victory go to the American.

The boxing event of the 1984 Olympics was a showcase in robbery to favour the home boxers. That's why the computer based scoring system was introduced in the 1988 games and has remained till today.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"Atletico Madrid Bigger Threat Than Real Madrid" - Barca Coach Ernesto Valverde / Arsenal Complete Kai Havertz Signing From Chelsea For £65m / Everton FC Announce Sean Dyche As New Manager

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.