Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,854 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:15 PM

Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? (1970 Views)

Uninterrupted Electricity Impossible In Nigeria Now— Power Minister: Prof. Nebo / 2015 Election Will Be "Yakin Badar" ( War Between Muslims And Infidels) - Buhari / Egyptian-type Revolution Impossible In Nigeria – Fg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by ajalio(f): 5:40pm On Jan 23, 2010
Dear Nairalanders

Some poster are of the opinion that religious tolerance doesn't function in Nigeria. 
I really would like to understand it.
And thus I hope that you Nairalander will explain it for me.  smiley
I would be really very grateful.
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by babapupa: 5:44pm On Jan 23, 2010
It has nothing to do with religion, it's about regional and cultural mentalities, socio economic development, sophistication and enlightenment.
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by blackmann(m): 5:46pm On Jan 23, 2010
i am a Muslim and most of my friends are Christians. We live in peace and harmony till today and forever.

Most of these so-called crises are not religious. they all come out of the stupidity and naivity of some selfish individuals, and use the cloak of religion to cover it.
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 5:52pm On Jan 23, 2010
Poverty mentality

You rarely see anyone in southern nigeria fighting because of religion- well apart from loudspeaker fighting grin
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by edoyad(m): 5:56pm On Jan 23, 2010
In many of this violent outbursts religion is the main denominator; but it also has to do with 1. Ethnicity 2. Poverty 3. Enlightenment 4. Lack of Education 5. Political manipulation 5. Unemployment 6. Incompetent leadership.
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by Remii(m): 5:56pm On Jan 23, 2010
blackmann:

i am a Muslim and most of my friends are Christians. We live in peace and harmony till today and forever.

Most of these so-called crises are not religious. they all come out of the stupidity and naivity of some selfish individuals, and use the cloak of religion to cover it.

True talk, also the northern leaders are not sincere to Islam, they refuse to give mass literacy to their people as done even in Arab world but gave their own children best of education at expence of the populace.
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:06pm On Jan 23, 2010
same reason why tolerance between tribes is a pipe dream
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by ElRazur: 6:07pm On Jan 23, 2010
It is ironic that religion forced on us are the ones not co-existing in peace, yet our very own traditional religion have existed longer and be at peace with all forms of other religion. Perhaps it is time for us to really embrace our religion instead of some allien religions? I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but hey.   .   .   .  this is an open forum. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by edoyad(m): 6:08pm On Jan 23, 2010
In many of this violent outbursts religion is the main denominator; but it also has to do with 1. Ethnicity 2. Poverty 3. Enlightenment 4. Lack of Education 5. Political manipulation 5. Unemployment, i believe it's over 40% 6. Incompetent leadership.
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Jan 23, 2010
It was 1996, I was serving Nigeria under the NYSC scheme in Zaria - Kaduna State.

One night around 2 am, we were waked with shouts of "Allah kubar" (or whatever it was they were shouting). A peep through the window revealed hundreds of Moslems demostrating. We were adviced by those who had been living there to be on alert as we plan our exit strategies. We did not sleep again until 5am when the demostration stopped. We did not know what the matter was until the following morning.

In the morning, we learnt that the demostration was caused by a partial eclipse of the moon which made the moon appear red. The moslems interpreted that to mean that Allah was angry with the sinners. That the redness of the moon was as a result of sin.

Thank God nobody was killed in Zaria that night, but people were killed at Kaduna, Kano and some other parts of the north.

As much as ethinicity is a problem, we must be bold to state that Islam has this large rooms where violence is nurtured.

It is not about "Why is tolerance between muslims and christians impossible in Nigeria", it is rather why are Nigerian moslems of the northern origin so blood thisrty.

Was Miss World riots ethinic? The German Everngelist was to visit Kano in 1994, the Moslems prevented it by killing, maiming and destroying churches and properties of non moslems.

Whatever voilence exhibited against moslems were mostly in retaliation.

And for those who that illitracy and poverty were to be blamed, the leader of Boko Haran was neither an illitrate nor was he poor.
Mutallab the Junior was neither an illitrate nor poor.

I sympathise with peace loving moslems, but its time they do something about the violence. It is tearing Nigeria apart.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jan 23, 2010
Northern muslims are the ones who are intelorant to non muslims and that is a fact
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by ajalio(f): 8:22pm On Jan 23, 2010
@all

You are dear, many thanks for your quick answers!   smiley
I hope, these become even more.

Indeed, now I still have much more questions with which I would like to pester you.  grin

!. Which region is the poorest and why? Who lives in this region primarily?

2. What are the strengths and weaknesses of any single tribe? Please, without insults, but essentially and objectively.

3. Is there a tribe which gets by with all others equally well, or better said, which keeps away from all and is neutral?

4. @edoyad, 40% of unemployment, you mean with it in completely Nigeria or only one certain region?

5. So much I know, the office of the president should be taken in change by a Christian candidate and an Islamic candidate.
    a) has this always functioned up to now?
    b) does have the other religious group thereby disadvantages?

6. The first years after hour "zero", how they were?
    Since when it started to run crooked in Nigeria?

uupps,  I think here I will stop first.  grin
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jan 23, 2010
Institutional failure
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by klarry79: 9:43pm On Jan 23, 2010
Failed state
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by mamagee3(f): 10:42pm On Jan 23, 2010
Muslims are Violence loving human beings!
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by IKEYMAN1: 10:52pm On Jan 23, 2010
@@@@@

some hausa are [size=32pt]endangered species[/size]

yesssssssssssss sir!!!

this is what happens when u spend your hole life distributing suya

now by the way SIsi-jinx hmmm wonder the reason u gone undercover lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

some hausa should be living alongside baboons in the tree

oh i forget; by the way disguy no comment grin

aboki gworos

for real!! this is for real
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by H2O2: 10:56pm On Jan 23, 2010
That dream is impossible with the likes of Willy*Willy and edoyad around.  Those two rats are intolerant bigots.
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by edoyad(m): 11:00pm On Jan 23, 2010
@ ajali , the regions known as North east, North west and North central which is habitated by the Hausa and a collection of other minority tribes is definitely the poorest region of the country. The North central states contain tribes known as the middle belt, middle belt could also be found in some parts of North Eastern and North western states like south of kebbi, south of kaduna and other pockets. It is really not simple to explain but I'll put it like this, the hausa-fulani are predominantly muslim while the middle belt tribes have places where they're predominantly christians like south of Adamawa, south of kaduna and plateau state where we have this problem now. I'll find time to dig up some material for you later on in the week. The hausas also make up the single largest ethnic group at.
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by ezeagu(m): 11:12pm On Jan 23, 2010
mama-gee:

Muslims are Violence loving human beings!

Do you know how many of the slave ships had Christian names including 'Jesus'?
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by Fhemmmy: 11:31pm On Jan 23, 2010
It is called common sense, however, it is not common
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by kosovo(m): 11:40pm On Jan 23, 2010
Religious falderol, jabberwocky and gimcrackery has always been a Major problem in Nigeria, cool
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by ajalio(f): 1:17am On Jan 24, 2010
@jabbok and @klarry79

Should this mean the culprit isn't fought, but the afterwards best to one runs through the way? How can this be?

@mama-gee

How can you say this so generalised? Got lost black sheeps you will find everywhere, also among Christians.
Christians have murdered in the past countlessly, for religious reason as well as for material reason.

@ikeyman

suya, e-e? Funnily, in the Balkans they are all still alive.
There they call it Schaschlik, indeed, easily modified, , however, make a mess tasty!  grin

@H2O2

In the kind of your answer, I also doubt your ability.

@edoyad

I thank you very much. I know, it isn't easy, but I am sure you are able to do this.  grin
I would be glad really very much about more information.

@ezeagu

Good answer!

@Fhemmmy

Has there never been common sense, or has he got lost sometime?

@kosovo

To understand this I must still learn.  sad
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by Kenezi: 2:50am On Jan 24, 2010
ElRazur:

It is ironic that religion forced on us are the ones not co-existing in peace, yet our very own traditional religion have existed longer and be at peace with all forms of other religion. Perhaps it is time for us to really embrace our religion instead of some allien religions? I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but hey.   .   .   .  this is an open forum. grin

The religions that demand human sacrifice and encourage buying the p.enis of a man for ritual offerings, for a small sum of 50 thousand naira. Lets go back to the traditional religions and see Nigeria prosper, eh?
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by presido1: 2:59am On Jan 24, 2010
Kenezi:

The religions that demand human sacrifice and encourage buying the p.enis of a man for ritual offerings, for a small sum of 50 thousand naira. Lets go back to the traditional religions and see Nigeria prosper, eh?
Unfortunately all the above you mentioned are seen in Christendom of today. Take a careful look at this thread https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-386315.0.html
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by Kenezi: 3:22am On Jan 24, 2010
presido1:

Unfortunately all the above you mentioned are seen in Christendom of today. Take a careful look at this thread https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-386315.0.html

juju worship and cultism hasn't died out I see.
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by member31: 7:44am On Jan 24, 2010
How can this be when Nigeria is an artificial creation
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by kunleajayi: 1:57pm On Jan 24, 2010
smiley
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by blackmann(m): 2:02pm On Jan 24, 2010
[b]it is mass illiteracy that most of the northern muslims are suffering from. they tend to misread the meaning of jihad. they think that jihad means "killing the infidels and non believers in the name of ALLAH" which is not the case. Jihad means to struggle, to go about the ways of a true muslim, which does not include killing your fellow human being, be he christain or other. it is the selfish ones (boko-haram leader, kalakato, etc) that hire these almajiris, feed them daily, that brainwash them into believing that other religions are bad and the only way to eradicate them is by killing, and this is due to the lack of quality education up north. Muslims are peace-loving people, and every year during hajj, u see millions of muslims coming to the kaabah to perform their duties. it is my wish that some of u pple that think that islam is a religion sent by the devil(willy willy and his cohorts) to visit the kaabah during hajj perios someday and see things for urselves instead of reading propaganda in the news and spewing out trash here on NL.[/b]
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jan 24, 2010
how can u say there is lack of quality education in the north??

1. who gets scholarships in nigeria the most to go abroad and study- the north
2. who enters university with the least score in jamb - the north
3. go a a northern university and a university in the south and compare which university have more facility compared to the other? the north
4. what about federal character - the north
5. quota system - the north

do u want me to mention more how it favours the north, this country belongs to all of us, all of us should have equal rights

do u want me to tell u of the discrimination in entering into the the military, ministries, oil import licenses

the north control everything, it is not a function of education it is a function of religion. kill the infidels and lets take over.

a day is coming when they the north would beg not to be part of nigeria and we would tell them NO, cos we would revenge every single sins they have commited against this country
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by blackmann(m): 2:09pm On Jan 24, 2010
it is just unfortunate that most of these bad pple that commit such atrocities labelled as terrorism and religious killings are muslims. they give those who have good intentions bad names. like yoruba elders say - "awon eyan buruku lo ti ba eyan rere je(the bad pple have given the good ones a bad image)".
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jan 24, 2010
@blackman

the difference between a yoruba muslim and a northern muslim is simple

first the yoruba muslim is first a yoruba man b4 he thinks of himself as a muslim. so he would protect his yoruba heritage over religion. thats why u go to some places in Osun states the father may be christian the wife muslim and there is peace,

the northern dude thinks of himself as religion first then tribe. so kill none muslims is the right thing to do compared to if i am hausa or fulani.
Re: Why Is Tolerance Between Muslims And Christians Impossible In Nigeria? by blackmann(m): 2:14pm On Jan 24, 2010
kaecy5:

@blackman

the difference between a yoruba muslim and a northern muslim is simple

first the yoruba muslim is first a yoruba man b4 he thinks of himself as a muslim. so he would protect his yoruba heritage over religion. thats why u go to some places in Osun states the father may be christian the wife muslim and there is peace,

the northern dude thinks of himself as religion first then tribe. so kill none muslims is the right thing to do compared to if i am hausa or fulani.

and to ask u, do u think that is the right thing to do? where in the quran does it say that u have to kill non-muslims? i'm pretty sure u are well educated.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Report Of The Commission Of Inquiry Into The Jos Crisis (1994, 2001 & 2008) / The Man Who Gives The NNPC A Run For Their Money / Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.