Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,807 members, 7,831,636 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam (1973 Views)

Saraki Could Face 14-year Jail Term, Ban From Public Office If Convicted / False Statement On Social Media: Senate Seeks For 2-Year-Jail Term For Offenders / Gowon's Son JackMusa Released From Prison In U.S (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by AloyEmeka8: 1:21am On Sep 07, 2010
[size=14pt]Nigerian in U.S. gets 12 year jail term for $1.3m scam[/size]

A 31-year-old Nigerian, Okpako Mike Diamreyan, who immigrated to the United States on May 30, 2008, has been sentenced to more than 12 years in prison for planning an advance payment scam that swindled victims to the tune of $1.3m.
Deciding the case filed before United States District Court, District Of Connecticut on April 30, 2010, Mr. Diamreyan was ordered to serve 151 months in federal prison and pay $1m in restitution to the 67 victims he was said to have scammed between 2004 and 2009.

[img]http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/thumbnail.php?file=images/Okpako_Mike_Diamreyan_505687907.jpg&size=article_small[/img]

According to the charges files against the Nigerian and obtained by NEXT, “the defendant began committing advance-fee fraud in Nigeria and Ghana no later than 2004. In 2008, he came to the United States, where he married a young woman who supported him by working two jobs and going to school at night. Instead of taking advantage of this opportunity to start a new life, the defendant continued participating in the fraud scheme and, in fact, used his presence in the United States to further the fraud.

“The defendant made no effort to become a productive member of society; instead, he hoped to reap a fortune in crime,” the document read.
How scam worked
According to state prosecutors, Mr. Diamreyan and his accomplice duped their victims, saying one of the victims was called more than 1,200 times over a two-year period.
He was also said to have claimed to have various consignments stored in Ghana worth millions and promised his victims 20-percent commission in exchange for financial help in transferring funds to the US.

“In one such email, the defendant claimed to be in a refugee camp in Ghana, trying to move a consignment worth $23.4 million out of the country”.
Mr. Diamreyan was arrested on August 27, 2009 and convicted by a jury of three counts of wire fraud on February 16, 2010.
In a sentencing memorandum, the court said that “the only way to protect the public from further crimes by the defendant is to incarcerate him for a lengthy period of time.”

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/headlines/60679-Nigerian-gets-year-jail-term-for-13m-scam.html
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by tarano: 1:46am On Sep 07, 2010
This scum bag is one of the reasons Nigerians are treated like criminals abroad, Honestly, Nigeria needs committed leaders like Nuhu Ribadu,

I have personally been subjected to untold hardship because I introduced myself as a Nigerian!

I hope he rots in Jail.
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by AloyEmeka5: 1:52am On Sep 07, 2010
He has lived only 2 yrs in the US and is already a 419 magnet.
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by asha80(m): 1:57am On Sep 07, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

He has lived only 2 yrs in the US and is already a 419 magnet.

He came to make money and not see statue of liberty grin
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by AloyEmeka5: 2:03am On Sep 07, 2010
asha 80:

He came to make money and not see statue of liberty  grin
I wonder o. Somebody initiated him quickly into the crime because he is yet to know his zip code when he started doing Americans 419.
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by AloyEmeka5: 12:27pm On Sep 07, 2010
tarano:

This scum bag is one of the reasons Nigerians are treated like criminals abroad, Honestly, Nigeria needs committed leaders like Nuhu Ribadu,

I have personally been subjected to untold hardship because I introduced myself as a Nigerian!

I hope he rots in Jail.

What will Ribadu do to Nigerians living abroad?
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by seanet02: 12:32pm On Sep 07, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

What will Ribadu do to Nigerians living abroad?
when did RIBADU returns to EFCC as Chairman?
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by AloyEmeka5: 12:34pm On Sep 07, 2010
He said he wants Ribadu back and that's why I asked him what he will do to 419 Nigerians living abroad.
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by tarano: 8:09pm On Sep 07, 2010
People like him would have been cooling their heels in Jail in Nigeria, long time, before coming to yankee to tarnish the image of the country abroad, I hope someone like Ribadu would be there in Nigeria to receive him after spending 12yrs in Jail, oloshi Alakoba oloriburuku,
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by Nobody: 8:18pm On Sep 07, 2010
No comment. . .as usual,we know those spoiling our name abroad.he should rot in jail
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by EzeUche22(m): 8:27pm On Sep 07, 2010
~Bluetooth:

No comment. . .as usual,we know those spoiling our name abroad.he should rot in jail

Tell us where this guy is from?  grin

Cause he is not Igbo if you are implying that. EWU

Like I said, our neighbors in the Southwest do not know about other groups in Naija. *smh*
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by PhysicsQED(m): 8:32pm On Sep 07, 2010
He's Urhobo. Surprising.
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by Nobody: 8:49pm On Sep 07, 2010
EzeUche22:

Tell us where this guy is from?  grin

Cause he is not Igbo if you are implying that. EWU

Like I said, our neighbors in the Southwest do not know about other groups in Naija. *smh*
ROTFLMAO. . .how did you know i was going to say he's ibo anyway ? Maybe he must have learn from an ibo man over there
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by EzeUche22(m): 8:52pm On Sep 07, 2010
~Bluetooth:

ROTFLMAO. . .how did you know i was going to say he's ibo anyway ? Maybe he must have learn from an ibo man over there

Yoruba. . . That train is never late. Anyone with a brain knew what you were implying.

Funny how you react. If the name does not look like a Yoruba or Muslim name, then it must be Igbo. Foolish thinking. . .
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by Nobody: 9:02pm On Sep 07, 2010
EzeUche22:

Yoruba. . . That train is never late. Anyone with a brain knew what you were implying.

Funny how you react. If the name does not look like a Yoruba or Muslim name, then it must be Igbo. Foolish thinking. . .
Even when jonathan has Azikwe in his name,you guys still insist that he's not ibo.so why should i believe now that the guy is not ibo too ?
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by Nobody: 9:11pm On Sep 07, 2010
seanet02:

when did RIBADU [b]returns [/b]to EFCC as Chairman?

note the word in bold in relation to the sentence grin grin
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by EzeUche22(m): 9:34pm On Sep 07, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Even when jonathan has Azikwe in his name,you guys still insist that he's not ibo.so why should i believe now that the guy is not ibo too ?

Doesn't Nzeogwu have Kaduna in his name make him Hausa?

Foolish thinking.

Doesn't Amaechi have Rotimi in his name make him Yoruba?
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by bkbabe97y(m): 11:16pm On Sep 07, 2010
^^^ Shut up, u fool! Dude, Nzeogwu was Ibo, u monkey!^^^^^
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by AloyEmeka5: 7:40am On Sep 08, 2010
PhysicsQED:

He's Urhobo. Surprising.

You knew that how?
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by Nobody: 8:06am On Sep 08, 2010
EzeUche22:

Doesn't Nzeogwu have Kaduna in his name make him Hausa?

Foolish thinking.

Doesn't Amaechi have Rotimi in his name make him Yoruba?
if the name doesn't really matter,why draw your conclusion so easily that this guy is not ibo ? Olodo
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by igboboy1(m): 8:06am On Sep 08, 2010
bk.babe97y:

^^^ Shut up, u fool! Dude, Nzeogwu was Ibo, u monkey!^^^^^

Illiterate try to read before u comment, Where did he say Nzeogwu wasn't igbo? Odua dummy like you
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by igboboy1(m): 8:07am On Sep 08, 2010
~Bluetooth:

yea just as an igbo man learnt from bode george and Baboon OBJ
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by igboboy1(m): 8:09am On Sep 08, 2010
PhysicsQED:

He's Urhobo. Surprising.

So what if he is Urhobo? Crime is not limited to one group of people, Geez
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by Nobody: 8:20am On Sep 08, 2010
igbo boy:

yea just as an igbo man learnt from bode george and Baboon OBJ
He's just like his many brothers committing crimes both home and away !!
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by igboboy1(m): 8:27am On Sep 08, 2010
~Bluetooth:

He's just like his many brothers committing crimes both home and away !!
first of all the guy is not igbo, even if he was big deal? Until u tell me that bode george, Obj, Obj's daughter, that police guy something MArtins are igbo then I would agree with you
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by Nobody: 8:36am On Sep 08, 2010
igbo boy:

first of all the guy is not igbo, even if he was big deal? Until u tell me that bode george, Obj, Obj's daughter, that police guy something MArtins are igbo then I would agree with you
Yes of course,they are yoruba and i think the ibo would also have thievies at that level too. . .you forgot WABARA,OKADIGBO and so many others plus the numerous indidvidual keeping up the biafra name in crime
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by igboboy1(m): 8:44am On Sep 08, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Yes of course,they are yoruba and i think the ibo would also have thievies at that level too. . .you forgot WABARA,OKADIGBO and so many others plus the numerous indidvidual keeping up the biafra name in crime

oh ok so we are on the same page then, Never denied that there are crooks of Igbo origin, just as there are crooks of odua origin,
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by Nobody: 9:06am On Sep 08, 2010
igbo boy:

oh ok so we are on the same page then, Never denied that there are crooks of Igbo origin, just as there are crooks of odua origin,
Crooks are everywhere but ibo make more headlines than any other tribe in Nigeria
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by bkbabe97y(m): 11:38am On Sep 08, 2010
igbo boy:

Illiterate try to read before u comment, Where did he say Nzeogwu wasn't igbo? Odua dummy like you

Descendant of Human-Limb chompers; STFU! Have u ever heard of a certain Prof. Emmanuel Okocha?! Beast!
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by komando1: 12:30pm On Sep 08, 2010
@ topic

All bkhomo knows how to do is call Igbos monkey. Something tells me it has something to do with the 21 men and 1 monkey who sired him.
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by komando1: 12:32pm On Sep 08, 2010
Let me guess he is so afraid of The Komando that he will choose to 'ignore' him. LOL
Re: Nigerian In U.s. Gets 12 Year Jail Term For $1.3m Scam by komando1: 12:36pm On Sep 08, 2010
Aloyemeka clap for yourself blocktooth shut up.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan’s Position On Zoning Is Right –tafida ! / Atiku Threatens Nigeria(north Rule) / Nigeria, Chad & Niger Set To Launch Joint Military Operations Against Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.