Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,671 members, 7,816,757 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Damaged Butterfly - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Damaged Butterfly (23244 Views)

The Last In The Butterfly Series / Damaged By The System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 10:32pm On Jul 14, 2017
DAMAGED BUTTERFLY CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
Aisha was happy,her life was moving on normally again.She had worked tirelessly for Madam Oby for three days.The woman was impressed.Aishawas a diligent worker,she was honest,humble and talented in the art of cooking.Before she came to Lagos,she could only cook Fulani meals.It was stumbling block for her but she subjected herself to learning how to cook other meals and after three days,she had learnt a lot.

Another stumbling block she faced was the proximity of her residence to the restraunt.
Getting to the restraunt on time was an everyday battle.It wasn't easy and she knew that lateness to work would affect her.She begged Madam Oby to allow her stay in restraunt.It took a lot of persuassion but the woman finally agreed.Aisha moved her belongings away from her hellish residence and into the restraunt.
Madam Oby gave her access to the store house and that was where she slept.

Living in the restraunt also gave her new responsibilities.Madam Oby had given her the keys and every morning she would wake up very early and clean the restraunt.The work was not easy but she was able to pull through.
Madam was proud of her and made her a permanent worker.
Aisha earned approximately 2 naira every week and that was more than enough for her.

"Aisha i cant believe that Madam Oby allowed you to stay here,you wont be contending with the morning rush and all those things that makes me late for work.How did you convince Madam?" Bina asked her one day at the restraunt.

"I had to beg her,it wasn't easy but she finally obliged." Aisha replied and chuckled.

"You're very lucky.Sometimesi get the feeling that you're using a goodluck charm"

It was a typical saturday and the restraunt was booming with activities.

More customers were coming in.

"We have more customers" Bina said."Get back to the kitchen while i take their orders"

Aisha headed to kitchen.She warmed the rice on the stove and brought out plates.
Bina was not yet back with the orders.Aisha stroded out to confront her.She found the girl chatting with a customer,a middle aged man in white kaftan.Aisha monitored Bina for a while.The man in kaftan seemed to be flirting with her.They giggled and smiled as they talked in low tunes.Aisha was baffled,she couldn't believe that Bina was flirting with customers.The girl was going astray.

"Bina" Aisha called her.
Bina jogged to kitchen to answer the call.

"What is it?" she asked.

"You were supposed to take their orders not chat with them" Aisha replied.

Bina chuckled.
"You mean the customers?" she asked.

"Yes" Aisha replied."Who is that man you were talking to?"

"Which man?" Bina asked.

"The one in white.I saw the way he was talking to you.I think he was flirting with you" Aisha said.
Bina scoffed and stood with hands akinbo.

"So,you were spying on me?" she asked."By the way,i dont know the man.We're just chatting,there's nothing serious between us"

"I think he was flirting with you and that is not right.That man is old enough to be your father" Aisha said.

Bina hissed and glared at Aisha.
"You cant tell me how to live my life" she replied."So,i cannot flirt with my customer again...who makes the rules?...you?
Last time i checked it was Madam Oby that sets the rules.I have been flirting with customers even before you came here and Madam Oby did not complain.You cant tell me how to live my life."

Aisha heaved a sigh and shook her head.
"Look,Bina i'm your friend and i'm just trying to look out for you" she said.

"Look out for me?" Bina asked."I dont need a babysiter."

"Bina take it easy.Some men are dangerous,they can decieve you just to taste the apple between your legs.When you get pregnant,they will dump you and run away.You dont want to be a victim of unwanted pregnancy,do you?" Aisha asked.

Bina gazed at Aisha and scoffed.

"You talk like you've expirienced it" she said.

"Expirienced what?" Aisha asked.

"Unwanted pregnancy" Bina replied.

Aisha froze.She tried to speak but the imaginary lump in her throat wouldn't let her.

"One day you are going to tell me why you really left Kano" Bina said.

The conversation resurrected memories of Kano.The pregnancy,the abortion pills.Memories that she has been trying to bury.Aisha was lost in the sea of thoughts until a customer called her attention.

"Hey" the customer bellowed."I need a glass of wine."

Aisha scampered into the bar and fished out a bottle of wine.She opened it and poured the contents into a small glass.
She placed it on a small tray and carried it to the customer.
As she approached the customer,she looked at his face.
He had an attractive goatee and he caressed it with a pride.
Aisha was distracted by the man's face.Something about him felt odd.
Their gazes locked for a couple of seconds.Aisha averted her gaze immediately.
She didn't know what hit her but suddenly she lost her balance and fell.The tray slipped off her hand and the contents of the wine glass landed on the man's white shirt.
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 10:59pm On Jul 14, 2017
DAMAGED BUTTERFLY
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
The contents of the wine glass landed on the man's white shirt.
The wine had smeared his shirt with a red stain.It was disgusting to him.Aisha was dumbfounded,shecould sense the tention growing in the room.Bina had left the kitchen and she stood,mouth agape with suprise written on her face.An awkward silence descended and enveloped the restraunt.Othercustomers had stopped eating as they stared at the man with red wine on his white shirt.

The angry man glared at Aisha with fiery eyes.His heartbeat could be heard in the interlude.

"Are you crazy?!" he bellowed at Aisha.

His voice was deep and it made Aisha tremble with fear.

"I'm sorry sir,i'm really sorry" Aisha apologized but angry man was having none of it.

He examined his stained shirt and turned his gaze on Aisha.

"Just look at what you did to my shirt." he said.

"I'm sorry..erm...it...was...erm..a mistake" Aisha stammered with a voice laden with fear.
Some of the customers that patronised the restraunt were unruly and insecure.Some of them were smokers who drank too much and some were rude people who didn't want to be disturbed.
Aisha had tried her best to treat each customer well but then this happened.This was the first time she was having a problem with a customer.

Madam Oby heard the noise from her room and stroded into the large hall.

"Aisha what is it?" she asked but she got no reply.
Madam Oby gazed at the enraged customer and at the red stain on his white shirt.She put two and two together and realized what transpired.

"Aisha,how can you be so careless?" she asked.

"It was a mistake.I dont understand how it happened.I lost my balance and..."

Madam Oby cut her short.
She turned her gaze to the man with eyes filled with apologies.

"Please sir,forgive my worker.She didn't mean to do this to you.It was an accident,a mistake." Madam Oby said.

The man was silent.His anger had dissipated.He looked at the stain on his shirt and muttered inconprehensible words.

"Please...erm..give me a moment,let me see if i can get another shirt for you" Madam Oby said but the man simply waved his hand.

"It's okay.I was just leaving" he muttered.He fumbled in his pocket and fished out a 50 kobo coin,he dropped it on the table and stroded out of the restraunt,slamming the door behind him.

Madam Oby heaved a sigh of relief and turned to face Aisha.

"I dont know what to say to you."

"I'm sorry ma." Aisha pleaded.

"Sorry for yourself" Madam Oby retorted."What were you thinking?...do you want me to loose my customers?....you have to careful next time.I dont this kind of drama to repeat itself.Have i made myself clear?"

She glanced at the broken peices of glass on the floor and hissed in disgust.

"Clean this mess" she mumbled and turned to leave.

Madam Oby took a few steps and stopped abruptly.

"When you're done cleaning the mess,i think you should go."

"Are you sacking me?" Aisha retorted.

"I'm not sacking you,just go away for a while.You're done for the day" Madam Oby replied.

Aisha went into the kitchen and came out with a mop.She was going to clean the mess but Bina interrupted her.

"I'll clean it for you" she said."Come on,give me the mop."
Aisha handed the mop over to Bina.

"You should start going" Bina said.
Aisha picked up her purse,opened the door and walked out of the restraunt.

As she stepped out,she thought about what had transpired.It was an accident and she didn't mean for it to happen.She was angry and sad at the same time.
She was glad that Madam Oby was not too angry.She knew she would get over the incident and everything would be back to normal.

The sun was setting.It was getting dark.Aisha walked faster,she was hoping to catch a bus before darkness set in.She had resolved to go back to that bungalow where she used to live and book a space to lay her head for the night.
She clutched her purse as she approached the motor park.There were not too many passengers and most of the buses were almost empty.It would take approximately 30 minutes for one bus to get filled up with passengers.

Aisha weighed her chances and decided to go home on foot instead.She would get to her destination in 45 minutes and thereby save some money.
She had only a few meters away from the motor park when a Pegout 504 pulled up close to her lane.
The driver tried to speak to her but Aisha ignored him.
She didn't like taking lift from strangers.She did not know anyone in Lagos apart from Bina and Madam Oby.
She trusts no one.
Aisha increased her pace and tried to discourage the driver but the man wasn't giving up.
He drove his car slowly to catch up with her but Aisha ignored him,she wouldn't turn to look at him.
The driver increased his car speed and pulled up in front of Aisha.
The door swung open and the driver stepped out.
Aisha was taken aback.She was standing face to face with man at the restraunt.The one she spilled wine on.
"Hello young lady,get into my car,let me give you a ride home" he said.
Re: Damaged Butterfly by queenitee(f): 7:47pm On Jul 15, 2017
Mister, who are you?
Re: Damaged Butterfly by swankmee(f): 9:38pm On Jul 15, 2017
Wow... enjoying ur wonderful story sir
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 9:57pm On Jul 15, 2017
queenitee:
Mister, who are you?

a little tip....it's the same sneaky guy monitoring Aisha at the end of chapter twenty-seven. wink
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 7:40am On Jul 16, 2017
shocked shocked
...and finally...
My story made front page.
cool
sit tight and relax...
Updates coming up today
Re: Damaged Butterfly by DiegoNakel(m): 7:42am On Jul 16, 2017
seguir adelante Amigo
Re: Damaged Butterfly by olumydey(m): 8:33am On Jul 16, 2017
nice story..... I swear am enjoying the story...continue nw
Re: Damaged Butterfly by ekwuemendinso(m): 11:03am On Jul 16, 2017
@op, sorry but there is a FUNDAMENTAL error in your chapter one. And that did put me off from reading the rest of the work.

u started that: the grown ups of Aisha's 12 siblings were 'sent for' cattle rearing. while in preceding lines, u then stated that the 12 of Aisha's siblings were sent to school aside her (Aisha).

that's too poor and pathetic.
Re: Damaged Butterfly by kelvinhilton(m): 11:30am On Jul 16, 2017
Nice story so far*** biko take gud care of Aisha **
Re: Damaged Butterfly by Unna1979: 12:25pm On Jul 16, 2017
Nice story waiting for d rest
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 12:32pm On Jul 16, 2017
ekwuemendinso:
@op, sorry but there is a FUNDAMENTAL error in your chapter one. And that did put me off from reading the rest of the work.

u started that: the grown ups of Aisha's 12 siblings were 'sent for' cattle rearing. while in preceding lines, u then stated that the 12 of Aisha's siblings were sent to school aside her (Aisha).

that's too poor and pathetic.

let me clarify something here....

Aisha has 12 siblings but not of the same mother...so they dont really give a damn about her.

They were into cattle rearing when the story started.

N.B: THEY WENT TO SCHOOL BEFORE DIVING INTO CATTLE REARING.

But Aisha was home schooled unlike her siblings....by the time the time story kicked off,she had already completed her home schooling.....i had to shed light in educational background of Aisha before diving into the real story....and to do that,i had to make reference to her siblings education as well because it's different from that of Aisha.

Some Northerners dont value girl child education and Alhaji Abubakar is guilty of that.
That is why he had Aisha home schooled unlike her male siblings....to Alhaji,marriage and child bearing should be objective of Aisha's life but Obinna was able to open her eyes to see womanhood from a whole new perspective......remember the story is set in 1980's NOT modern time.

Gender inequality in family setting prevailed at that time in the north.

Some girls were trained to become mere house wives unlike boys who had good education and were allowed to choose their path in life.

Feminism and gender equality was not popular in 1980's.

There is nothing confusing here...
I may have made some grammatical errors but there is nothing like fundamental error.
Re: Damaged Butterfly by swankmee(f): 12:40pm On Jul 16, 2017
SaviTar:
shocked shocked ...and finally... My story made front page. cool sit tight and relax... Updates coming up today

Congrats you deserve it, nyc story please more updates
Re: Damaged Butterfly by ekwuemendinso(m): 12:55pm On Jul 16, 2017
SaviTar:

let me clarify something here....

Aisha has 12 siblings but not of the same mother...so they dont really give a damn about her.

They were into cattle rearing when the story started.

N.B: THEY WENT TO SCHOOL BEFORE DIVING INTO CATTLE REARING.

But Aisha was home schooled unlike her siblings....by the time the time story kicked off,she had already completed her home schooling.....i had to shed light in educational background of Aisha before diving into the real story....and to do that,i had to make reference to her siblings education as well because it's different from that of Aisha.

Some Northeners dont value girl child education and Alhaji Abubakar is guilty of that.
That is why he had Aisha home schooled unlike her male siblings....to Alhaji,marriage and child bearing should be objective of Aisha's life but Obinna was able to open her eyes to see womanhood from a whole new perspective......remember the story is set in 1980's.

There is nothing confusing here...
I may have made some grammatical errors but there is nothing like fundamental error.

thanks dear for your explanations and your literal ability to absorb constructive criticism.

Nevertheless, a careful preview of the assertions I earlier mentioned will still aptly look to an average reader as its really a fundamental error of facts/judgements.

perhaps, the sentences/paragraph should have been creatively written differently to suit your explanations now.

perhaps stating the level of schooling would be great. To an average scholar, 'if I ask for the first time if u went to school' would ultimately suggest either of any of the higher institutions, or at least secondary.

literally, I can't go to school and still be a cattle rearer. even if its secondary school.

I may be wrong, but notes that 'No average Northern will see the walls of secondary and still be a cattle rearer today' NEVER. Even Primary sch leaver might still have a case.

However, kudos to you on your write up generally...

Better is not good enough, the best is yet to come from u.
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 1:57pm On Jul 16, 2017
ekwuemendinso:

thanks dear for your explanations and your literal ability to absorb constructive criticism.

Nevertheless, a careful preview of the assertions I earlier mentioned will still aptly look to an average reader as its really a fundamental error of facts/judgements.

perhaps, the sentences/paragraph should have been creatively written differently to suit your explanations now.

perhaps stating the level of schooling would be great. To an average scholar, 'if I ask for the first time if u went to school' would ultimately suggest either of any of the higher institutions, or at least secondary.

literally, I can't go to school and still be a cattle rearer. even if its secondary school.

I may be wrong, but notes that 'No average Northern will see the walls of secondary and still be a cattle rearer today' NEVER. Even Primary sch leaver might still have a case.

However, kudos to you on your write up generally...

Better is not good enough, the best is yet to come from u.

Thank you very much....

But i have to admit...chapter one is the most difficult chapter i've ever written.
I was still trying to lay the groundwork so that the story would kick off smoothly and that is not an easy task.

Also my phone limits me to only 5000 words....so i have to edit and rewrite so that the chapter (chapter one)...would end on a significant point...which is...'Aisha meeting Obinna for the first time'....
That event created a pathway for chapter 2 to continue smoothly.
That is why i did not spend more time describing Aisha's siblings....my phone restricts me to only 5000 words...so i cannot dabble on a less significant issue..(Aisha's siblings)....because they are very minor and unimportant characters....if you read the story...you'll realize i never mentioned her siblings again!

About the cattle rearing part...
It may look like a humble occupation to you and too low an educated northener.....that is not entirely true.

Some northeners went to school and later dived into cattle rearing.

Cattle rearing is not a job for illiterates only....infact,it is very lucrative.A cattle sells for thousands of naira....it is expensive.
And sometimes a northener (educated or not)....works as an apprentice for an established cattle rearer....once they have learned a lot...the master gives them a few cows and they start off their own business.

Cattle rearing is a lucrative business and some educated northerners have done it....that is a fact.
Dont underrate cattle rearing...it is a popular business in the north.
My idea is based on research...

Thank you for the encouragement....
Re: Damaged Butterfly by Omolewa212(f): 1:59pm On Jul 16, 2017
EvaJael:
Yikes! This is really bad
As in enmmmmm I just cant stop the tears from floowing, so touching.
Re: Damaged Butterfly by Omolewa212(f): 1:59pm On Jul 16, 2017
EvaJael:
Yikes! This is really bad

As in enmmmmm I just cant stop the tears from floowing, so touching.
Re: Damaged Butterfly by ekwuemendinso(m): 2:52pm On Jul 16, 2017
SaviTar:

Thank you very much....

But i have to admit...chapter one is the most difficult chapter i've ever written.
I was still trying to lay the groundwork so that the story would kick off smoothly and that is not an easy task.

Also my phone limits me to only 5000 words....so i have to edit and rewrite so that the chapter (chapter one)...would end on a significant point...which is...'Aisha meeting Obinna for the first time'....
That event created a pathway for chapter 2 to continue smoothly.
That is why i did not spend more time describing Aisha's siblings....my phone restricts me to only 5000 words...so i cannot dabble on a less significant issue..(Aisha's siblings)....because they are very minor and unimportant characters....if you read the story...you'll realize i never mentioned her siblings again!

About the cattle rearing part...
It may look like a humble occupation to you and too low an educated northener.....that is not entirely true.

Some northeners went to school and later dived into cattle rearing.

Cattle rearing is not a job for illiterates only....infact,it is very lucrative.A cattle sells for thousands of naira....it is expensive.
And sometimes a northener (educated or not)....works as an apprentice for an established cattle rearer....once they have learned a lot...the master gives them a few cows and they start off their own business.

Cattle rearing is a lucrative business and some educated northerners have done it....that is a fact.
Dont underrate cattle rearing...it is a popular business in the north.
My idea is based on research...

Thank you for the encouragement....

Am glad for your acknowledgements.

next time will be better/best.

you are sure a budding writer in the right direction.

Points/message in your story is apt; perfect and of utmost societal importance. That's the basic. And am glad u creatively and articulately grasping/disseminating them.

I salute u
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 4:53pm On Jul 16, 2017
DAMAGED BUTTERFLY
CHAPTER THIRTY

"Please get in,i will drive you home" the man said.
"With all due respect respect sir,i have to decline your offer" Aisha replied and made to go but the man blocked her way.

"Look,i'm sorry about what happened at the restraunt.I understand it's an accident" he said.

"I understand,its no big deal.Everything is forgiven" Aisha replied.

"I think i was too harsh on you.I let my anger cloud my judgement and i'm sorry"

"You've apologized already but like i said,it's no big deal."

The man heaved a sigh and scratched his head.

"Let me make it up to you by driving you home." he said.

Aisha felt uncomfortable,she wanted to run.The man was very stubborn,he cant seem to take no for an answer.She considered his offer again.
Darkness have already crept in and the danfo buses were not operating quickly like she wanted.
She wanted to trek home but why trek when there's a free ride up for grab?..It was a nice oppourtunity and it seemed stupid to decline.
Besides,what could possibly go wrong?
The man doesn't look like someone with ulterior motives.

"Fine,you can drive me home" she said.
The man beamed a smile and nodded in satisfaction.
Aisha was going to open the door to the passenger's side but the man stroded to her side and opened the door for her.He held it open as she slid into car and sat down.
Aisha was somewhat suprised.
'He must be a gentleman' she thought.

The man entered the car and they set off.

"So,where do you live?" he asked Aisha.

"Dont worry,keep moving,i'll direct you."

They continued the journey.
The man didn't utter a word as Aisha gave him directions.The journey was normal until he broke the ice.

"So...erm...can i know your name?" he asked.

"My name is Aisha Abubakar" Aisha replied.

"Okay" the man said and nodded.
He waited for Aisha to ask for his name but she maintained an awkward silence.

"My name is Olatunde Oluwasegun.You can call me Tunde." he said.

Aisha nodded.
"Okay,i'll keep that in mind" she said.

"I'm a police detective by proffession" Tunde said with a voice laden with pride.

"A police detective?...that's nice" Aisha repied.

"I'm a regular customer at the restraunt and you are a new worker there.You must be new in Lagos."

"Yes,i'm new.How did you know?" she asked.

"Like i said before,i'm a police detective.My powers of deduction is on another level."

Aisha chuckled and beamed an infectious smile.Tunde was amazed by her beauty.

"Do you have any family in Lagos?" he asked.

"No,i'm here on my own.I was looking a fresh start" she replied.

"Lagos is a good place to start afresh but it's not easy.I hope you are doing fine?" he asked.

"Yes,i'm comfortable.I had a hard time getting a decent job but i'm fully settled now" she replied.

"I'm happy to hear that." he said.
"I see you everyday at the restraunt and i cant help but notice your nice and gentle attitude.Keep it up."

Aisha swallowed hard.It was obvious that Tunde had been watching her.

"I cant help but imagine why a beautiful girl like you would be working in a local restraunt.You deserve better." he said.

Aisha started getting nervous and uncomfortable.
'Is Tunde trying to woo her' she thought.
Ever since she started working at the restraunt,numerous male customers had commented on her beauty.She would ignore them immediately.She had no time for men.She still loved Obinna.
Tunde noticed her nervousness and changed the topic.He talked about himself and his job but Aisha maintained an awkward silence.

Finally they drove into Aisha's neighborhood.Tunde navigated his Toyota 504 into a road that led to the Aisha's place.When he got to his destination,he parked his car and made to come out.
Aisha read his next move,she knew he would open the door for her but she opened it herself and got out.

"Thank you for the ride" she said.

"Okay,take care.I'll see you at the restraunt." Tunde replied.

Aisha nodded,she wished she couldn't go back to that restraunt again.She's had more than she could chew.
She heaved a sigh of relief when he drove off.
------------

Back in his peogout 504,Tunde's police landline phone rang.He picked it up and answered the caller.

"Detective Tunde,what is your status?" a voice came on the landline's speakers.

Tunde sighed and cleared his throat.
"DPO how are you?" he said.
"You can drop the pretence now.Are you alone?" the DPO asked.
"Yes" Tunde replied.
"What is your status on the girl"

"I approached her today.We had a little discussion.She seems satisfied and confortable in Lagos and when i asked her about her family,she waved it off.I dont think she wants to return to Kano." Tunde said.

"We are the police and her father,Alhaji Abubakar is hell bent on re-uniting with his daughter.He paid us well and we will do everything we can to make his dream comes true but for now,try to befriend the girl.You must be careful though,if Aisha finds out your true motive,she will disappear.Be careful dectective."

"Yes sir."
Re: Damaged Butterfly by queenitee(f): 5:08pm On Jul 16, 2017
SaviTar:

a little tip....it's the same sneaky guy monitoring Aisha at the end of chapter twenty-seven. wink
Ah, thank you jare
Re: Damaged Butterfly by queenitee(f): 5:10pm On Jul 16, 2017
Eeyah
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 5:13pm On Jul 16, 2017
Hold on tight folks!
There's 20 more chapters to go.If the weather is favourable,i'll drop 12 before next sunday.

More updates coming up.....
Re: Damaged Butterfly by swankmee(f): 5:30pm On Jul 16, 2017
SaviTar:
Hold on tight folks!
There's 20 more chapters to go.If the weather is favourable,i'll drop 12 before next sunday.

More updates coming up.....

Alryt waiting patiently.... More ink
Re: Damaged Butterfly by doubleZ88(m): 7:50pm On Jul 17, 2017
d more reason y i hardly read stories on NL. they r neva complete and leave fans hanging forever.

pls savitar, make a difference coz im eager to see d end of this master piece u've brought. moreover ive bookmarked this page awaiting your updates.

more ink sir.
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 11:30pm On Jul 17, 2017
DAMAGED BUTTERFLY
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

The next day at the restraunt.Things were moving on normally.Madam Oby had put aside the accident saga and Aisha was able to breathe in fresh air again.Customers were trooping in and business was booming like it should be.Aisha's happiness could have been complete if Bina wasn't so hot-headed.She went about her business like nothing else mattered and she was flirting with a customer,the same man she was flirting with the previous day.The man was a regular customer and when he came in,on his usual time,Bina jumped to her feet and spent most of her free time chatting with him.They smiled,laughed in low tune.
Aisha could have overlooked the episode but the man had placed his arm on Bina's laps.
The scene infuriated Aisha as she shook her head and bit her lower lip.
She reported Bina's misbehaviour to Madam Oby but the woman waved it off.She had a policy of not interfaring with her worker's personal life.As long business moved on fine,every other thing is none of her business.

"Aisha you need to let go of personal attachments.I know you like Bina but if you are going to succeed,you need to mind your own business and concentrate on yourself." Madam Oby said.

Aisha didn't take her words seriously.Bina was her friend and she wouldn't let her go astray.
She understood what unwanted pregnancy could do to a girl's life and Bina's man did not look like he loved her.He was old enough to be her father and he was only lusting after Bina.
Aisha was beautiful and numerous men had tried to woo her but she turned them down.
Bina was quite the opposite.She liked men both young and old and she was happy to be around them as long as they gave her money.
Her character alerted Aisha.Bina was playing with fire and Lagos is filled with dangerous men,she could get hurt if she wasn't careful.
But asking Bina to stop moving about with men was like preaching repentance to the devil.She didn't give a damn about Aisha's opinion.
Aisha had a hard time reaching out to her.Ever since she warned Bina about men,the girl had been ignoring her.She gave Aisha a silent treatment.Bina only spoke to Aisha when she was spoken to and when she did,the words were often cold and laden with hate.

It was getting dark and the restraunt had closed for the day.
Aisha and Bina were busy tidying up the restraunt.Bina,as usual did not utter a word to Aisha.
Aisha summoned up courage and broke the ice.

"Bina why have you been ignoring me?" she asked.

Bina didn't reply.

Aisha heaved a sigh and stood hands akinbo.

"Look Bina,i understand that you're upset with me.But you need to know that i'm still your friend and i will always look out for you no matter what.I need you to reason with me.You cant keep following men like a fly.Some men are very dangerous and they will ruin your life.I need you talk to me Bina,talk to me."

Bina turned and glared at Aisha.

"What do you want me to say,Aisha?" she asked.

"Come on Bina,some of these men you flirt with are old enough to be your father."

"Do you think i enjoy flirting with them?" she retorted."I have no choice."

"What do you mean?" Aisha asked.

"Aisha,stop pretending.You know that this is Lagos and life is not easy for us.I have to feed and pay my rent and i need money to do that.I only follow men because they give me money,that's all.It's not like i'm going to go to bed with them.Never!" Bina spat and hissed.

Aisha patted her on the back and tried to calm her down.
"I know that Lagos is a difficult place for us and we need to survive but you need to understand that moving around with men is not the way to go." Aisha said.
Suddenly Bina pushed her from her side and started bickering with a voice laden with anger.

"Anybody can tell me how to live my life but you,Aisha,is a no no.
You are nothing but a hypocrite.A two faced bastard!I saw you yesterday with a man in a car."

Aisha was flabbergasted and dumbfounded.
"A...erm..a car?" she stammered.

"Yes" Bina."The man drives a Pegout 504.I saw you with my two naked eyes,you cant lie.You of all people move around with men but here you are,judging me!"

Bina grabbed her handbag and stroded out of the restraunt,slamming the door behind her.
"Bina wait" Aisha called out to her but Bina ignored her.
Aisha was suprised.She didn't know that Bina had seen her with Detective Tunde.She had a lot of explaining to do.If she didn't reach out to Bina,no one else will.Bina was her only friend in Lagos.

Aisha finished her work,locked the restraunt and went after Bina.The girl was long gone and Aisha headed to her place of residence.
She prayed that the girl would listen to her.
She was going to board a danfo bus but then,a Pegoute 504 pulled up in front her.
It was Detective Tunde.

"Get in" he said."Let me take you home."

Aisha had no time to think twice.
Her mind was bothered with her concern for Bina.She needed to get to her destination on time.
She hopped into the car and they set off.
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 1:15am On Jul 18, 2017
DAMAGED BUTTERFLY
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

Aisha was too worried to even say a word to Tunde.She bit her lower lip and shook her head.
Tunde noticed the woebegone expression on her face.He grabbed the oppourtunity and tried to start a conversation.

"You look worried,are you okay?" he asked.

"I'm okay." she replied.

"Dont lie to me.I'm a police detective,i can read people and i can see you're not okay.What is bothering you?"

Aisha hissed.She was starting regret taking a ride with Tunde.
The detective was hell bent on getting close to her.She glared at him with fiery eyes and dropped the bombshell.

"Why do you care?" she asked.

"What?" Tunde asked.

"Am i the girl in Lagos?...why are you always after me?..why are you interested in driving me home?"

Tunde smiled and chuckled.

"I'm just trying to be nice" he said.

"Must i be the recipient of nice attitude?...we just met yesterday,you barely know me" Aisha retorted.

Tunde became silent.He had dealt with situations like this in his early days as a police detective.He knew how to handle it.It was obvious that something was bothering Aisha and he didn't want to play with her emotions.He kept silent to let her calm down.

Aisha calmed down and thought about the situation at hand.She was obviously angry at Bina and she was venting her spleen on the wrong person.Tunde might be trying to get close to her but he had nothing to do with Bina's case and therefore,did not deserve an angry reaction from Aisha.

"I'm sorry" Aisha apologized.

"For what?" Tunde asked.

"For everything i said earlier" she replied.

"It's okay.I undertand you dont want to talk about whatever it is that is bothering you."

"I know,it's just that...."

Tunde cut in.

"You can bottle up your problem.You need to let it out." he said.

Aisha heaved a sigh and gazed at Tunde.

"There is this friend of mine.A girl.
She has formed a habit of moving about with men.She hangs around with men who are old enough to be her father.I'm worried because these men are dangerous,they are just lusting after her.I'm afraid and i dont want her to get hurt.She is the only friend i have and i want to look out for her and..."
Aisha paused and wiped the tears streaming down her cheeks.
"I dont want Bina to suffer like i did" she said.

Detective Tunde navigated his car and pulled up in front of Aisha's destination.He killed the engine and looked at Aisha.Their gazes locked as Tunde heaved a sigh and searched for the right words to use.

"Look Aisha,i understand how you feel.We have met just yesterday but i'm really glad you opened up to me.You see this situation with your friend,i have been there before.I once had a friend who went astray.He was a police officer like me,we graduated together from the Nigerian Police Academy.We served together for a long time.He was my best friend,he was more like a brother to me.But later he went rougue.He started collecting bribe and exploiting innocent civilians.He bacame corrupt and somewhat irredeemable.He continued in his evil way but 8 years ago he met his waterloo."

"What happened?" Aisha asked.

"It was in the year 1976 after the assasination of Murtala Muhamed.It was revealed that my friend aided the coup plotters just because of money.He was caught and killed.He died a pitiful death,the soldiers tied him up like a goat and shot him.I couldn't stop blaming myself"

"Why do you blame yourself?" Aisha asked.

"I saw him going astray but i didn't warn him.I thought his case was minor,i didn't know he would aid the coup plotters.If i had warned him or tried to stop him,maybe he would still be alive.But i folded my arms and i watched him get himself killed.
Aisha,i know i shouldn't be telling you this story but...erm...i think you should talk to your friend before it's too late."

"But she wont listen to me,she is too hot headed" Aisha replied.

"Listen Aisha,your friend might be hot headed.Mine was hot headed too but you cannot give up on her.I gave up on my friend when he was going astray and he died.If you give up on your friend and something bad happens to her,trust me,you are going to regret it.So talk to her."

Aisha heaved a sigh of relief.
"I will talk to her" she said.

She opened the door and got out of the car.
"Thank you detective." she said and bid him farewell.

When Aisha was finally out of sight,Tunde took out his landline phone and contacted his DPO.
He moved to safe distacnce as he talked in low tune.

"Hello sir....the plan is in motion.I had a lengthy conversation with her today."

"That's very good.How did you do it?" the DPO asked.

"It was easy.She had a problem with a friend so i gave her some advice and backed it with a fake story" Tunde replied and smiled mischieviously.

"Did she believe you?"

"She swallowed everything,hook,line and sinker."

"You are doing a good work detective.Alhaji Abubakar will come to Lagos very soon for his daughter.We need to make sure she returns to Kano voluntarily."

"Yes sir."
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 1:24am On Jul 18, 2017
shocked
i had a hectic monday....
No time to write.
I had to stay up at night to write chapter thirty one and two.

wink
hopefully today wont be too hectic.....
...i must drop at least three chapters today.

I promise.
Re: Damaged Butterfly by queenitee(f): 8:53am On Jul 18, 2017
SaviTar:
shocked
i had a hectic monday....
No time to write.
I had to stay up at night to write chapter thirty one and two.

wink
hopefully today wont be too hectic.....
...i must drop at least three chapters today.

I promise.
Amen, welldone
Re: Damaged Butterfly by kelvinhilton(m): 4:28pm On Jul 18, 2017
Feed me more.
Re: Damaged Butterfly by MightyFortress: 8:03pm On Jul 18, 2017
Lovely
Re: Damaged Butterfly by SaviTar(m): 8:54pm On Jul 18, 2017
cool
keep calm.

Updates coming up in the next few hours. wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie Receives Standing Ovation At Endinburgh Int'l Film Festival / Google: Why We Honoured Chinua Achebe / English Speaking Versus Writing, Which Is More Difficult?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.