Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself (72333 Views)

How Do I Get My Transcript From OAU / OAU students trapped following a downpour, today, in Ile Ife, Osun State (Photos / Onoriode Aziza Has 3 First Class In Law From OAU, Law School & Cambridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by Sanchez01: 7:54pm On Jun 17, 2017
geobukky:
My academic mentor and project supervisor did all his programs at OAU, BSC MSC, PHD.
One of the earlierst tips he gave me is "avoid OAU", why? they will waste your life. I think he spent 5-6years on his PhD
I know someone will come and say he did not know what he was doing; dude was best in his class during MSc and got an AAPG award on his MS research
I don't know of other departments o.... but white house (OAU Geoscience)is legendary!!! when u see that department just flee... am not oau product but i know 50% of their lecturers; they are just notorious and that is also the best geoscience department in the country, has to be said
The White House is indeed legendary. You would hear people groan and wail but in the end, they come out super excellent. Just like I complained and thought Humanities was cruel. I still thank the likes of Akande, Babalola and Uwasomba till date.

OAU lecturers can be notorious, but they never fall short of what they intend to forge.

2 Likes

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by Freshbaba95(m): 7:57pm On Jun 17, 2017
I don't really understand why everybody wants to go to OAU, if we start seeing it a normal schl, there will be big change in our university system. No Hate, Jst Saying My Mind.
Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jun 17, 2017
Still the best school in Nigeria though....sad
Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by bottlewater1(m): 8:01pm On Jun 17, 2017
emmasege:
Do you mind the OP? Instead of him to come out plainly and tell us the whole truth, he's being economical with the truth. OAU PG program is no longer slow. If anyone is delayed for whatever reason, the fault is either between a candidate and his/her supervisor, though in most cases it is the student's some of whom have no research ideas whatsoever.

well this is my own take. I enter OAU through DE in 2010 finish my service in 2017 yet I have no carry over nor extra year one year plus extra instead of five years

1 Like

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by olabode89(m): 8:02pm On Jun 17, 2017
okewumi:

Bros, you are right. I graduated from OAU and the only problem is no short cut to anything. You can not buy handout to boast your GP, you cannot ask a friend to write test for you. The only thing is that OAU is not meant for average students like me but for genius. I got job automatically after service year because of the school image and l was sent for training in Europe. Education in OAU is very tough

Sir Neyo Pumping!!

1 Like

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by Horbah1(m): 8:02pm On Jun 17, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzyyLtdEgME

RAMADAN SAGA!!! Hot! Hot!! Hot!!! Dedicated to all Muslim faithfuls A special Ramadan comedy from the stable of MANLIPZ Ent... Worldwide Watch, like, download and subscribe for more...
Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by volterra(m): 8:03pm On Jun 17, 2017
Op, pls u ar spreadning a very wrong information about OAU. I finished my MSC in OAU within 1 year and 3 months. And guess what, it was physics. So stop discouraging pple. If u av challenges wit ur program, dnt generalize it. Even in schools wich u tink ar fast there ar some students who spend more than the required session before they graduate.

5 Likes

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by SirMazi: 8:03pm On Jun 17, 2017
OAUTemitayo:
In OAU, no room for lazy a.z.z
Hope you know there's diff between Stress/Sufferhead and Hard work

2 Likes

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by Ikemefuna44: 8:05pm On Jun 17, 2017
twilliamx:

it is your [b] english that is delaying you.
It is spelt [b]stuck
not stocked.
Your English is not in any way better. Kettle calling pot black.
You started a sentence with small letter, and you also wrote the initial word in [b] English, a proper noun, with a small letter.
"He who comes into equity must come with clean hands ."

1 Like

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by jibs4lv(m): 8:08pm On Jun 17, 2017
twilliamx:

it is your english that is delaying you.
It is spelt stuck not stocked.
Profesor in Inglis,as if e never sufa from caryover b4 mtceeew .

1 Like

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by Maximus85(m): 8:10pm On Jun 17, 2017
Lasu nko. Anyways.... That one Na glorified secondary school. They misplaced results and they start giving student manufactured marks. Shameeee
Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by OAUTemitayo: 8:15pm On Jun 17, 2017
Sanchez01:

The White House is indeed legendary. You would hear people groan and wail but in the end, they come out super excellent. Just like I complained and thought Humanities was cruel. I still thank the likes of Akande, Babalola and Uwasomba till date.

OAU lecturers can be notorious, but they never fall short of what they intend to forge.
White House!
Where people dey get visa to health centre

1 Like

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by OAUTemitayo: 8:17pm On Jun 17, 2017
jibs4lv:
Profesor in Inglis,as if e never sufa from caryover b4 mtceeew .
*So na everybody dey get am
yeye

1 Like

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by 0b100100111: 8:23pm On Jun 17, 2017
Have always said that school should be donated to Fulani herdsmen for grazing purpose

2 Likes

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jun 17, 2017
[quote author=fuckerstard post=57609173][/quote][color=#990000][/color]
That's true bro
Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by felictorx: 8:41pm On Jun 17, 2017
twilliamx:

Kuku kill me
Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 8:42pm On Jun 17, 2017
oracle009:
I had my BSc. Botany from OAU. It was a wonderful experience in all ramifications. Though, we spent more sessions than anticipated, but WE CAME OUT BETTER, RUGGED and VERSATILE! currently running my Post graduate in UNILAG... very fast, less demanding, less stressful BUT MORE MODERN researches, cost demanding, Modern and useful to society and cool experience. The way I read ehn, so alien to UNILAG... good student- lecturer rapport (far better than OAU), More fund and finance opportunities (UNILAG gets foreign grants alot)... And LABOUR MARKET oriented (oau train us like monster with only scholastic researches)...

A combination of OAU and UNILAG is a top notch. I don't like UI tho
You are right. Unilag get more foreign grant than anyany other school in Nigeria.
Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by felictorx: 8:45pm On Jun 17, 2017
VickyRotex:
By tomorrow now, we will start seeing various threads of: "Run Away from sososo and so school if you love Yourself"! No be Nairaland? undecided

All thanks to the op for starting this "stocked" up trend angry angry
Coman kuku kill me
Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by Pedagogue: 8:46pm On Jun 17, 2017
felictorx:
This is a friendly advice especially for post graduates applicants. I have warned you enough. OAU will delay your destiny and brag ontop of that. I can only pity the undergraduates stocked there! A word is enough for the wise!

@ Felictorx

+

@Statsocial (who's always quick to jump on anti Federal Uni threads in order to support mediocre CU)

Slandering a reputable University without evidence is the most disgusting and unfathomable of all possible verdicts.

See, OAU is not perfect.The school is bedevilled with many problems just like other Universities in Nigeria and Africa. But all this talk of 'strikes in OAU' is exaggerated. OAU has not experienced any strike action for close to 2 years or so. Meanwhile, UI and UNILAG that have been experiencing closedowns are not being stigmatised in this way.

You are free to say all you want, but facts are sacred. What strikingly distinguishes OAU from other Universities is the immense opportunities for rigorous academic education and the quality of the Alumni that the school produces.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. OAU Ile-Ife is not for the intellectually faint-hearted, neither is it for the socially over-committed. Rather, the Uni is a perfect fit for students that are academically thirsty, and ready to personally improve their understanding of life.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by felictorx: 8:47pm On Jun 17, 2017
zionglory:

lazy ass, we went to the best, great ife
Are you happy you spent more than 5years there?
Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by stuffs4me(m): 8:57pm On Jun 17, 2017
Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria is the worst university to porsue any postgraduate programm.

Tribalism, Ethnicity are the order of the day.

Ordinary masters takes over 4years. 90% of PG students don't graduate

RUN away from ABU, Zaria as fast as your legs can carry you.

3 Likes

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by corpershun: 9:03pm On Jun 17, 2017
LARRYDKING:

Our institutions are in very terrible states but unfortunately, alumni wouldn't ever agree to the fact whenever it's been discuss. Every school in Nigeria today is so far behind. Imagine the alumni of the school jumping over the thread chanting and insisting "stress" is the order of the day in the institution? Must we be stressed out to learn? what is wrong with us in this part of the world?

These guys disgust me with their ways of reasoning. We have friends abroad and we as well read a lot on the Internet. Must you be a prey to bedbugs, get intimidated and harassed unduly and do some unreasonable things to be knowledge? Alas, the products of the said institution pride themselves in ignorance of the grand scheme of things.

It's speaks volume of the danger which abounds if this pattern of reasoning is what our best schools imbibe in their alumni.

Absolute Truth, We blame our leaders yet we see white and call it black.

I did my BSc in CU as much as its labelled a glorified sec school, I had things done easily, calendar strictly followed etc. Fast forward to doing my MBA in Unilag, very different where even the coordinator treats students like secondary school. Imagine writing exams and someone starts checking your pockets like you are carrying drugs, and that's just 1 experience.
What stops a school like Unilag from installing CCTV cameras to detect exam malpractice and so on...

Nigerian youths need to wake up and stop putting pride on how much suffering we go through. Someone will talk about how he suffered and another person boasts on how he suffered more... if you complain they will tag one Lazy... Na wa for our mentality in this part of the world.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by Abduletudaye(m): 9:06pm On Jun 17, 2017
twilliamx:

1 Share

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by arena07: 9:08pm On Jun 17, 2017
GogobiriLalas:
Still the best school in Nigeria though....sad
shut up university of Ibadan is the best

1 Like

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by BlueButter(f): 9:15pm On Jun 17, 2017
emmasege:
What exactly is your point, OP? I don't think OAU is so strict with their postgraduate programs as they were, years ago. I know of so many people who completed their MSc research programs within 4 semesters and PhD in 6 semesters in the last few years, on that same campus. OAU is not UI or UNILAG where they do short-term projects and mass defence for MSc candidates. In OAU, you do MSc by research which is the style in American and Canadian universities and not the British style adopted by UI & UNILAG. And if your thesis is not examinable, your supervisor will not clear you for defence. It doesn't matter if your class mates have been cleared by their own supervisors.

OAU is only good for research-minded candidates and not those who will want to do their research as if they were part time students, the moment they complete their course works. Such candidates may consider UNILAG or UI.

with this analysis, I am short of words
Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by NoToPile: 9:19pm On Jun 17, 2017
grin grin

Funny enough the OP is right, OAU is not it for PG courses, its just that simple.

For PG courses from my experience

UI - Quite deep and good not as fast as Unilag but still a bit fair in the time frame, MSc.

Unilag - Fast school year for MSc, Just a brand in my opinion no much depth( also depends on individual Dept's) the hype is just too much. I know Unilag grads may not like this but its simply the truth.

Oau - Basically time wasters, they are good but will frustrate you for just MSc.

PhD in all these schools can always be frustrated by your supervisor.

Undergraduate courses in these schools are just the same I think in terms of quality of content.

PG is where the difference shows.
Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by techlorddsblog: 9:20pm On Jun 17, 2017
Things have changed. I guess things are faster now
Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jun 17, 2017
Yes, stay away, if you're lazy, or not interested in research-based MSc/PhD.

2 Likes

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by trilobite: 9:29pm On Jun 17, 2017
twosquare:
I think felictorx is right to some extent. For Postgraduate students, OAU should be the last option. It is a No-No. Though they have sound lecturers but consider these turn-offs:

1) Your thesis won't add any point to your grade...it is just done like that, unlike other universities where it like 6 unit course. So, to attain your Ph.D. grade is totally based on coursework---such system is poor.

2) Lack of Ph.D. grade (60) means you will have to do Mphil...and OAU MPhil is 2 years (who have time to waste a whole two years. Why is it a waste? See the third point)

3) MPhil is not convertible to Ph.D. after two years, unlike U.I where there is MPhil/Ph.D. (After a year, you convert to Ph.D. and continue with your program if you have good grade).

4) A lot of 'Bureaucracy' and red tapes...That's where you see Form A, E, F, Abstract, K, and the likes, each having its useless and unnecessary time wasting procedures

5) Form A, for instance, will have to go to the department (you correct mistakes after it is returned to you), leave for the department (come back and correct mistakes)...while your mates in other schools are convocating... the same process till Faculty, Postgraduate College, and then your Oral Interview can be fixed. God help you if you don't have a good supervisor. I still have folks who are still there since 2014.

6) Other forms go through the same process as above....before your thesis is accepted whereas in some universities...you do your thesis and submit, and those forms do not add one value to your life

7) When your mates are convocating and moving on with their lives, you are still doing your program in OAU..growing old...

With the points above, if you still decide to go for your PG programs in OAU (especially Masters and PH.D., well, that's your own business...do not say I don't tell you.)

Just that, in some departments, you can easily get admission, unlike U.I...If you like these disadvantages, then find a way to beat the system, but not possible, especially the grade aspect grin wink cheesy

Cc Statsocial, emmasege, HeyHey, ssuccess, Noble4life

nice analysis. rebuttal anyone?

2 Likes

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by Fitzgeralde: 9:30pm On Jun 17, 2017
Omobolajiatanda:
if it's cus of d strikes...am nuh sure they've gone on one since d acting vc took charge
Nope
Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jun 17, 2017
oracle009:
I had my BSc. Botany from OAU. It was a wonderful experience in all ramifications. Though, we spent more sessions than anticipated, but WE CAME OUT BETTER, RUGGED and VERSATILE! currently running my Post graduate in UNILAG... very fast, less demanding, less stressful BUT MORE MODERN researches, cost demanding, Modern and useful to society and cool experience. The way I read ehn, so alien to UNILAG... good student- lecturer rapport (far better than OAU), More fund and finance opportunities (UNILAG gets foreign grants alot)... And LABOUR MARKET oriented (oau train us like monster with only scholastic researches)...

A combination of OAU and UNILAG is a top notch. I don't like UI tho

You'll always get better rapport with professors in the PG class, you're comparing apples and oranges here. I would say one is better off with Unilag's BSc and OAU's MSc combinations. Research experience is key in postgraduate education.

Foreign grant is available to all who are willing to write riveting proposals (not a fun job).

2 Likes

Re: Run Away From OAU Ile Ife If You Love Yourself by RELAN2446(m): 9:38pm On Jun 17, 2017
Iamsheye:
another stupid school
sure, since dey never pick you, don worry ur child may b dere if dey resemble dere mum, not dere dad with a d**l brain.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Jamb scores 8th and 9th candidates below 200. / Post-JAMB Examinations in Nigerian Universities / Best Five University Hostels In Nigeria(photos) - Kinesthouse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.