Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,791 members, 7,810,060 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:44 PM

Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? (7965 Views)

Please Help! Can I Change Dollar Coins In Banks? / Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? / Do We Still Spend Coins In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by r231(m): 6:48am On Jan 26, 2010
In all countries of europe and america,their coins are in use.Why is nigerian coins not?Is it bc we are richer than all other countries or what?
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by neily(f): 7:59am On Jan 26, 2010
Soludo tried to bring back the coins but the mentality of the people could not curtail it. When i tried to find out why they rejected they said its because its heavy. But thats not an excuse even others have it without any complain.
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by schmuck(m): 9:30am On Jan 26, 2010
Coins grin

Our money is near being valueless.

What can a coin buy

A lemon sweet is being sold for N5/one.

Except you go to Shoprite . That was the place I saw a coin last. grin
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by Spyker: 11:02am On Jan 26, 2010
Coins? Our money is almost valueless and how much does a candy cost? N5.00 does not have a value, so why would the coins be used?
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by Senatorx2: 2:04pm On Jan 26, 2010
it is becos even the average nigerian, does not value the coins, We need use it
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by 3dhunter(m): 2:09pm On Jan 26, 2010
Increase the value of the COIN and definitely, we would start using them.
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by sayso: 2:11pm On Jan 26, 2010
that coin thing is a potential weapon you know
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by dkings101(m): 2:14pm On Jan 26, 2010
At least they should introduce pay-phone on the streets where you can make calls with coins or clean water machine which you can refill your bottle with coins,
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by otawa: 2:17pm On Jan 26, 2010
good question.

this is  psyco-related if you ask me.

Everyone like to be a big man and you dont want to be seen carrying about 'jingling coins' in your pocket.

At least they should introduce pay-phone on the streets where you can make calls with coins or clean water machine which you can refill your bottle with coins,

Nitel had this in good old days, area boyz tap the line and everyone call for free.
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA(f): 2:18pm On Jan 26, 2010
there are coins in Nigeria, right?
1 and 2 naira coins? but its worthless!!!!
so what's the point of using them?
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 2:20pm On Jan 26, 2010
neily:

Soludo tried to bring back the coins but the mentality of the people could not curtail it. When i tried to find out why they rejected they said its because its heavy. But thats not an excuse even others have it without any complain.

sorry how did he try it? he only redesigned them or change their color

If they can put th price of petrol at say 67Naira N68 or 103 then people should always ask for their change!!!
they should stop rounding off the price
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by egift(m): 2:23pm On Jan 26, 2010
When people were rejecting it, I tried being the good guy - collected it - but nobody will collect it from me. I felt as if I was a leper (with dow 4 that matter). One day I gathered all of them and went to the bank. The rejected, telling me to go spend it. Since that day, I never touch those metals again and never!
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by idifu(m): 2:29pm On Jan 26, 2010
it's cuz Nigeria is a corrupt country dats why we have not been using coins, in fact what can you buy with 1 kobo?,1 naira? nothing so it doesnt make any sense to me at all .cost of living is crazy, no price control,inflation e.t.c
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by duality(m): 2:30pm On Jan 26, 2010
the solution is this

make 1000, 500, 200 and 100 nairra coins. and lower denominations notes.
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by real4life: 2:40pm On Jan 26, 2010
We are not ready technology wise,

In developed countries coins are used mostly with high-tech machines to buy drinks and snacks, washing machines, telephone calls, etc.
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by Livvvvy(f): 2:49pm On Jan 26, 2010
The same people who made 1000 naira notes (for easy stealing), made the coins unacceptable and valueless.
You can imagine stealing coins of 5million naira.

Our leaders are greedy. As long as they can satisfy their greed, they are ok with anything.
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by Jean2(m): 2:59pm On Jan 26, 2010
the solution is this

I think you are right Duality.

I remember we stopped using coins around the time heavy 1 naira coins was introduced.
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by iz2much: 3:02pm On Jan 26, 2010
Actually the coin in used for some petty purchase in other developing countries, like buying soft drink and laundry, he in Nigeria we don't have all dos, i guess thatz what makes it useless
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 3:13pm On Jan 26, 2010
inflation will not allow it.
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by aieromon(m): 3:18pm On Jan 26, 2010
Please,don't tell me Nigeria still mints coins because that would be serious money down the drain.
If they wanna bring back the coin culture,let them mint N5 denominations.
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by otukpo(f): 3:48pm On Jan 26, 2010
There is nothing of small prize in Nigeria.
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by 4peace(m): 4:13pm On Jan 26, 2010
just walkin by
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by r231(m): 4:18pm On Jan 26, 2010
duality:

the solution is this

good point

makes a lot of sense since £1 is about N250 anyways
but i don't knw about the 500 or N1000 coin how will u stray dat at a party lol grin grin cheesy
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by THEAMAKA(f): 4:39pm On Jan 26, 2010
the economy has to improved DRASTICALLY before the coins can even be worth anything. they are so worthless there is almost no point in having them.
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by gidson12(m): 4:56pm On Jan 26, 2010
ppl rejects it, even if u bring N10 worth in coins to purchase an item worth N10, the market woman would reject it, so it the mentality attached to it, as worthless, i remenber when i was still very young we value coins, and we saved and valued it if its been given to us as a gift, but now e don change, make u make mistake give small pickin coins now, even if the coins wey u give am worth N20, e go use am stone u
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by SmashingM(f): 5:03pm On Jan 26, 2010
If you can't use coins to buy something as small as sweet, what else will you use it for?Spraying?
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by just1(m): 5:11pm On Jan 26, 2010
coins are used in the nothern parts of nigeria
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by Frankiss44(m): 5:16pm On Jan 26, 2010
u go gree use am??
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by 9jaBwai: 5:20pm On Jan 26, 2010
We still use coins. Who says we don't? I checked my phone credit balance and it shows =N=1239.20. the .20 is 20 Kobo grin
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jan 26, 2010
5, 10, 20 and 50 naira suppose be coins as our 1 kobo and 2 kobo no go fit buy anyting
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by TPS360: 5:49pm On Jan 26, 2010
inflation inflation inflation, hello
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by latepa(m): 6:09pm On Jan 26, 2010
schmuck:

Coins grin

Except you go to Shoprite . That was the place I saw a coin last. grin

grin grin Na True

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Don't deal With Sirlop (08068205701) , He Is A Scammer, Deceitful And An Ingrate / CBN Begins Grassroot Enaira Adoption With 7,740 Agent Points / Gtbank Internet Banking Portal Is Down?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.