Stats: 3,153,777 members, 7,820,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? (7984 Views)

Please Help! Can I Change Dollar Coins In Banks? / Do You Remember These Naira Notes And Coins? / Do We Still Spend Coins In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by platinumnk(f): 6:15pm On Jan 26, 2010
3d_hunter:

Increase the value of the COIN and definitely, we would start using them.

+1
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by echobee(f): 6:20pm On Jan 26, 2010
na only shoprite i don see for where dey they spend coins
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by zigalo(m): 6:36pm On Jan 26, 2010
If they can put th price of petrol at say 67Naira N68 or 103 then people should always ask for their change!!!
they should stop rounding off the price

Then pple will start buying 10litres for N670, N680 and 1030 respectively, no coins undecided
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 7:43pm On Jan 26, 2010
if we should go back to coins, then all those politicians carrying ghana must go will be in serious trouble ooo!  imagine how much weight they will be carrying around! shocked
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by Agbotoba(m): 8:38pm On Jan 26, 2010
It is because coins can cause injury to people's faces when being sprayed in owambe parties.
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by r231(m): 8:45pm On Jan 26, 2010
gidson12:

ppl rejects it, even if u bring N10 worth in coins to purchase an item worth N10, the market woman would reject it, so it the mentality attached to it, as worthless, i remenber when i was still very young we value coins, and we saved and valued it if its been given to us as a gift, but now e don change, make u make mistake give small pickin coins now, even if the coins wey u give am worth N20, e go use am stone u

dats crazy
you can just go somewhere buy food finish eating and pay with coins see if they will reject it grin
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by Olomoge: 10:12pm On Jan 26, 2010
Coins are still used in University of Ibadan although it is strictly for the cabs in the school. People are beginning to reject them as well
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by mamagee3(f): 12:53am On Jan 27, 2010
Inflation, Nigeria is becoming poor. embarassed embarassed
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by gidson12(m): 1:25am On Jan 27, 2010
mama-gee:

Inflation, Nigeria is becoming poor. embarassed embarassed
is that wat u think? undecided
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by Ndipe(m): 2:23am On Jan 27, 2010
Are you serious? Sweet is one for five naira?
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by WhyAWhy(m): 5:28am On Jan 27, 2010
[size=13pt]When the government was reintroducing coins, she dint consider what goods are services would be a base to absorb such new things that most individuals would not readily accept. In countries like europe, coins were very prevalent in trade because many essential services like paying for parking space, phone calls at phone boots, drink and coffee dispensers use coins. Since this is what people use everyday and the services were there, of course, they had to have coins to use. I was thinking the government was going to adopt a similar approach and provide services in such a way that coins would find a home but lailai, government would just copy and think that every other thing would sort itself out. [/size]
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by ayo84(m): 7:02am On Jan 27, 2010
things are way too damn expensive in nigeria, even sweets are sold for 10 bucks,
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by chelseabmw(m): 10:02am On Jan 27, 2010
coins poster r u serious??
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by kshow1(m): 10:03am On Jan 27, 2010
Cos its valueless.  
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by lovemoi2(f): 10:21am On Jan 27, 2010
dint know about this shocked shocked dint know people dont use coins in Nigeria
i need to learn about Nigeria man
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by omafones: 10:23am On Jan 27, 2010
As a previous poster said, change all naira notes below N200 to coins. We, the people will accept them.
[list]
[li]Coins are longer lasting
Coins are harder to counterfeit
Coins are easier to use for small regular transactions such bus conductors, recharge cards, buying small tomatoes on your way home, gala, etc[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]
I remember using coins to support 'kola' in our tradition
Bring back coins I say - it's nothing to do with value of money
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by djcrucifix(m): 10:31am On Jan 27, 2010
ibéré
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by Realtol(m): 10:38am On Jan 27, 2010
What have you and I do to bring those coins to use? I think if we can profer answer to this question by our attitude, I guess the coins would be itself in our country again and the issue of inflation would be drastically reduced at the long run.
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by An0nimus: 10:42am On Jan 27, 2010
There's this 'coin-phobia'.people dont want to use them even some banks reject them too.the last time i saw some coins was at a friends place.gues what they used them for - Antiques.
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 11:46am On Jan 27, 2010
Ndipe:

Are you serious? Sweet is one for five naira?

e be like say e don tay wey you buy sweet for smalie grin
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by mastercee(m): 4:58pm On Jan 27, 2010
no thanks to our leaders
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:32pm On Jan 27, 2010
zigalo:

If they can put th price of petrol at say 67Naira N68 or 103 then people should always ask for their change!!!
they should stop rounding off the price

Then pple will start buying 10litres for N670, N680 and 1030 respectively, no coins undecided

Maybe you should fill your tank by the Naira instead of the litre duh
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 7:38pm On Jan 27, 2010
na today?!
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by dominobaby(f): 11:59pm On Jan 27, 2010
echo- bee:

na only shoprite i don see for where dey they spend coins

or u live within UI!
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by exp: 12:34am On Jan 28, 2010
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by paddylo1(m): 2:55am On Jan 28, 2010
cause strippers dont like to be sprayed with coins. . .
they prefer the bills. . lol grin
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by esdee1(m): 11:19am On Jan 28, 2010
if i came to pay u for a service and brought out a bag of coins, lets say =N=50,000. would u accept?? smiley)
if ur answer is NO, then that answers your question.
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by GeorgeD1(m): 4:24pm On Jan 28, 2010
paddy_lo:

cause strippers dont like to be sprayed with coins. . .
they prefer the bills. . lol grin

so you be one of those wey dey visit that strip joint for allen avenue, abi?  grin
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by linkin8k(m): 8:16pm On Jan 28, 2010
In ghana they use coins and its pretty cool instead of always holding notes
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by achilace(m): 10:28pm On Jan 28, 2010
how will we use coins when people think its degrading to pull out a 5 naira bill from their pockets? we think we are upclass peeps but we are just bunch of ignorant people who are open to being cheated cuz of pride, mean while 'the MAN' is taking murderous advantage of this, especially in the fuel sector. or where do u think your 4 naira change from 3,500 worth of fuel goes? multiply 4 bucks by the number of cars that pull up to get fuel in a day then you'll know how we make this a**holes rich. besides i think there's this cool thing about coins, u nko?
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by rowlin(m): 10:30pm On Jan 28, 2010
What are you guys saying about the use of coins, some body said that every country in Europe use coin, forget about Europe and let's talk Libya in north Africa, till date they still use coin, they have 1/4dinner,1/2dinner coin and note, a litter of fuel is 1/4dinner, for me they have to bring down the cost of things so that we can be abore to use coin in Nigeria again angry
Re: Why Don't We Use Coins In Nigeria? by rowlin(m): 10:33pm On Jan 28, 2010
I agree with you

How Can I Move Money To Benin Republic From Nigeria? / 9 Things You Need To Know Before Starting Your Online Business / Sokoto State Old Market On Fire