Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,177 members, 7,815,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:33 AM

Lessons From The Asian Tigers - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Lessons From The Asian Tigers (2461 Views)

How Stupidity Saved My Life: Life Lessons From An Overanalytical Engineer / Asian Giant Xiaomi Launches With A Bang On / The Lessons I Learnt From Alfred Wegner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lessons From The Asian Tigers by PediakAuthor: 12:00pm On Jun 22, 2017
Science and Technology is the backbone of a country's sustainable National Development Agenda; an Ekitian; 16-year-old Adedipe Oluwatosin Wins Young Nigerian Scientist
Of The Year & N1M Yearly Grant.
Clap Clap Clap!!!
Another Lagos-born Oshiorenoya Agabi, Koniku Founder Is Changing Computing With His Microprocessors. Koniku is the world’s first Neurocomputation company. The company is presently working on a computer with a simulated human brain by recognizing the fact that the human brain is the most powerful computer ever devised.
He is now in Califonia extending the boundaries of impossibilities.

"Thank God he ESCAPED from this so called product of European imperialism depicted as a country, if not, that dream would have become extinct by now".

All these are innovative gestures by vibrant Nigerian youths,
whereas, some regionalists are agitating for secession in an
attempt to guard against marginalization and hegemony.

What a paradoxical situation !!!

These aforementioned cadres of researchers should be
celebrated for their intellectual abilities with respect to their
endowed national development potentials; but reverse is
the case in our society today, rather, more focus are given to the so-called entertainers mostly the half-exposed ones.

How will intellectual revolution be encouraged in Nigeria
since researchers and inventors are given less recognition Wait! I'm not against entertainment per say, infact, I'm partially an entertainer as my extra hustle, but more importance shouldn't be given to the sector. We need to get our priorities right in this country!!! Respect should be given to intellectual resources in order to encourage a scientific and technological development in Nigeria, since a country's development index is being rated by her level of science and technology!

Let's ask ourselves; In Nigeria, why do we import the products rather than importing the machines We have been importing toothpicks, why can't we import the toothpick-making machine and get the jobless youths employed, "we get bamboo for Naija now!!". And this will also conserve the much needed foreign exchange for importation of these cheap products.

Amazingly, so N-Power now has 1 million applicants within
few days, oh! Cool! Nice gesture by our FG! That's social
security and empowerment! That also shows the level of
unemployment in this country! But will this monthly stipend last for forever?? Let us call a spade a space and not a farm-tool, this will not solve this jobless situation of the country!

Don't give us fish alone, please also teach us how to catch the fish and give us what it takes to catch it. I'm not against the N-Power programme, its a nice move by the FG and also structured as a poverty alleviation scheme. But I think Its better to ignite an industrial revolution in Nigeria and let the youths be actively involved in the nation building process.That will solve our recurring problems of unemployment and wailing poverty and will also increase the standard of living of the citizenry. FG should therefore Establish manufacturing industries across the 6-geo political zones of Nigeria.

That should be the immediate solution to our problems. We should domestically and industrially consume our home-made products rather than imported ones! Some of these self-reliant countries do not possess half of Nigeria's endowed natural and mineral resources, yet, they are soaring high!

I also learnt aircrafts that operate in Nigeria perform their routine maintenance services abroad, please, what stops us
from having our own indigenous facilities being established
in Nigeria in order to maintain those aircrafts?? We have
jobless engineers in this country, how will they practise what they studied? How will they innovate and invent solutions??
These questions are left for us to answer. Also, establishing
such facilities will conserve our much needed foreign
exchange. Its like buying an American Vehicle without its
mechanic in Nigeria, such a person will spend more for
maintenance! Since we are using aircrafts in this country, let
foreign experts be invited to train local technicians on the
technical know-how.

Take for instance, Japan as a case study; few years back, before Japan experienced her industrial revolution, several of her citizens were sent all over advanced countries in order to have modern education, technical skills and also
advanced technological exposures. Those citizens got back
to their country to ignite an industrial revolution, talk of
electronic gadgets and allied products, Japan is one of the major player in the game!

The Asian Tigers are being known for their tiger economy;
i.e. the economy that skyrocketed within few years after
experiencing an industrial revolution.
So why can't Nigeria learn from the Asian Tigers
We need a replica model of the various tested solutions that
worked for the Asian Tigers in Nigeria; both theoretical and
practical approaches are needed at this point, not mere
propaganda!!!

Also this could be achieved by recognizing the strength in
our ethnical diversity in Nigeria at every moment and not ONCE in every 4 years. You know what I mean!!

We also need to recognize the fact that the first step of a
nation building process is to unite the diverse nationalities
into a beautiful rainbow nation with a unique national identity, in order to peacefully coexist for the pursuit of a sustainable national development agenda.

In my words; "build these people, and these developed
people will successfully build a nation". If there is unity, there will be peace, if there is peace, there will be progress and the aftermath is a sustainable national development goal.

The Chinese people recognized the strength in their diversity and also discovered the advantage of their large population, those citizens are being massively used as workforce in the chinese industries for cheap labour.
I wonder when Nigeria will maximize the large population in the country to blaze a trail for an industrial revolution.
People want to work! Graduates are being pushed out of tertiary institution every day! Ex-NYSC members are always going to every nooks and crannies after their POP in search of white collar job!

Meanwhile, most of all these graduates were only exposed
to theoretical approach in their higher institutions rather
than self-reliant, entrepreneurial and technical approach!
Consequentially, this resulted in Nigeria's under-industrialization.

Conclusively, if there should be anything like curriculum
reform in Nigeria's education system, it should be with
respect to the introduction of productive courses and not all
these agitating echoes.
For Nigeria to experience a paradigm shift from being a consuming nation to a producing nation, we MUST learn from the Asian Tigers by adopting their tested solutions that helped them experienced an industrial revolution!!!

I drop my pen!!

Jawolusi Oluwaseun Solomon.
PediakAuthor.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

See These Amazing Creativity With Tyres. (pictures) / How To Crate And Access Paypal Login Account / Starcomms Modem 4sale At N5k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.