Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,915 members, 7,817,684 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

The Lessons I Learnt From Alfred Wegner - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Lessons I Learnt From Alfred Wegner (500 Views)

What I Learnt About Elon Musk / 12 Lessons I Acquired From 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Lessons I Learnt From Alfred Wegner by dtribunal: 6:27am On Oct 07, 2017
As a scientist, i have learnt to overcome my fears with my rational thought process, dedication to work, patience and perseverance..i didnt just discover this, an intelligent man i wish i met taught me this.....
Ever since maps of the Atlantic Ocean were first published in the mid-sixteenth century, scholars have pondered on the remarkable jigsaw fit between the ocean’s opposing coastline(i.e the puzzle like fitting between continents even if they were far apart). The German meteorologist Alfred Wegener was brave enough to propose the hypothesis of continental drift. According to this hypothesis, the fit of the coastlines was no coincidence.

Wegener proposed that the continents of Europe, Africa, and the Americas were once joined together and had subsequently broken up and moved great distances apart. In-fact he meant that the continents where still moving further apart, and this movement was due to heat from the earth interior...this means the earth is moving and our continent is still moving...funny right?

This was total bullshit, Wegner wasnt even a geologist/geophysicist...how can this be? even if Wegner wanted to prove this using coastline, coastlines at that time and up-till now were known to be ephemeral features of Earth’s surface that could be changed by a single storm. How could their shape have any meaning after millions of years of coastal erosion. In fact, the best fit between the Atlantic continents has since been shown by computer analysis to be a lie, not at their coastlines, but along lines drawn halfway down their continental slopes at a depth of 1000 meters (3300 feet) below sea level.
Unlike coastlines, which mark only the edge of the land, the continental slopes, which separate areas of land and shallow seas from the deep ocean basins, mark the edge of the continents themselves and so are far more enduring features of Earth’s surface. But the ocean floors had not been mapped in Wegener’s day, so he had no way of knowing the shape of the continental slopes.....WEGNER WAS ENTIRELY CRAZY....!!!!!!!!!!......in one of the meetings held in London Wegner failed drastically to convince his scientific audience on this jigsaw-fit theory!!!(such a shame).. what even helped him was his already established reputation in the scientific community infact a professor of paleontology at Johns Hopkins University said that Wegener’s method were not scientific, but takes the familiar course of an initial idea, a selective search through the literature for corroborative evidence. This was the height of insults for someone as renowned as Wegner! This didnt break Wegner but rather made him stronger!!! wegner spent his life proving to the world his THEORY OF CONTINENTAL DRIFT!! A new Galileo and Copernicius was born!!....Today the theory of continental drift explains about 75% of earth features, it is the most important theory in earthsciences, the backbone of Geosciences....from exploration to environmental engineering the importance of this theory can not be overemphasized!!! Wegner has shown us the light through his dedication and perseverance!!!!!
ALWAYS REMEMBER!!......dont give up, even if u are regarded as stupid and must have lost reputation..just live, work-hard, learn, improve and u'll prove everyone wrong!!

Consult me on any problem on #ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING AND GEOSCIENCES!!!!!#

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

United State Of America To Provide Steady Power Supply In Africa. / Whatsapp Now Allows You To Delete Accidentally Sent Messages / Top 5 Best Smartphones Under 5000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.