Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,443 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:39 AM

Meet Bengal, The Cat Breed That Resembles A Leopard - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Meet Bengal, The Cat Breed That Resembles A Leopard (2086 Views)

Watch What Happens To Beautiful Girl Who Keeps A Leopard As A Pet / Pls What Is The Name Of This Cat Breed. / Cat Reading At OAU Ife, Awo Hall (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Bengal, The Cat Breed That Resembles A Leopard by petsarena: 7:02pm On Jun 22, 2017
Seeing this cute cat,one may mistake it as a miniature leopard, but it is really a cat. Now,lets introduce the bengal, a cat that resembles a a leopard.
Quick Facts
Life Span:10 to 16 years
Colour: back ground colour varies from golden, rust, brown and orange to sand, buff and ivory.
Bengal spots also vary in color, from rust or cocoa and chocolate brown to charcoal or black.
Weight:Males 10-15 lbs (4.5 – 6.8 kg) and females 8–12 lbs (3.6 – 5.4 kg)
Height: about 16 inches
The Bengal is a domestic cat breed developed to look like exotic jungle cats such as leopards, ocelots, margays and clouded leopards.
[url]History[/url]
Bengals take their name from the Asian leopard cat’s scientific name, Felis bengalensis.
They were created through crosses between an Asian leopard cat — which in the 1950s and into the 1960s could be purchased at pet stores — and domestic short hairs.
Jean Mill, a breeder in California, was the first to make such a cross, but not because she wanted to create a new breed.
She had acquired a leopard cat and allowed her to keep company with a black tom cat so she wouldn’t be lonely.
To her surprise, since she hadn’t thought the two species would mate, kittens resulted, and Mill kept a spotted female. Breeding her back to her father produced a litter of spotted and solid kittens.
Personality
Bengals are a lot of fun to live with, but they’re definitely not the cat for everyone, or for first-time cat owners.
they are very fond of their people and can do anything to get their attention.They also get on well with dogs
This is a cat who needs a lot of vertical territory since he loves to climb, the higher the better. Provide them with tall cat trees and window perches. They are also fond of playing water.
Other traits include intelligence; Bengal cats are said to be adaptable and sociable, and they can often be talkative.
Grooming
Bengals have short, luxurious, soft coat that is easy to care for with weekly brushing.
Trim the nails as needed, usually once a week.
Check the ears every week for redness or a bad smell that could indicate an infection.
If the ears look dirty, wipe them out with a cotton ball dampened with a gentle cleanser recommended by your veterinarian.
Brush his teeth regularly with a vet-approved pet toothpaste and schedule veterinary cleanings as needed.
Health Issues
Like other cats,bengals develop can some genetic related health issues such as
• Polycystic kidney disease,
• Distal neuropathy, a nervous system disorder that causes weakness. It can occur in Bengals as early as 1 year of age. Fortunately, many cats recover on their own, although a few relapse.
• Flat-chested kitten syndrome, a deformity that can range from mild to severe. Kittens who survive to adulthood usually show no signs once they reach maturity.
• Hip dysplasia, which in severe cases can cause lameness
• Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, a form of heart disease that is inheritable in some breeds.
• Patellar luxation, a hereditary dislocation of the kneecap that can range from mild to severe. Severe cases can be alleviated with surgery.
• Progressive retinal atrophy, a degenerative eye disease.
Source:http://petsarena.com.ng/2016/09/meet-bengal-cat-breed-resembles-leopard/

Re: Meet Bengal, The Cat Breed That Resembles A Leopard by Greene66: 8:06am On Jun 23, 2017
Awesome but I cannot get this. My dogs won't allow. They hate any other thing on 4 legs that isn't themselves (incuding dogs) sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet Bengal, The Cat Breed That Resembles A Leopard by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jun 23, 2017
Greene66:
Awesome but I cannot get this. My dogs won't allow. They hate any other thing on 4 legs that isn't themselves (incuding dogs) sad
like my dog too....... she almost killed our second dog.
Re: Meet Bengal, The Cat Breed That Resembles A Leopard by Darkphoenix706: 3:48pm On Sep 12, 2019
Please how do I get it? Hope its for adoption and not sale?

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Me Identify The Breed Of These Dogs. / Need Your Advice On This. Slant X Straight Back Gsd. / 8weeks Boerbeol Pups Ready for new homes. Get one.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.