Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,289 members, 7,818,984 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:29 AM

The Last "Day" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Last "Day" (1336 Views)

Testimonies Of The 2nd And Last Day Of The Lords Chosen Crusade In Port Harcourt / Can Some One Point Out Who These Two Witnesses Are In The Last Day's. / Christian God On The Last Day: telling muslims to burn in hell... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Last "Day" by RhodaRose(f): 5:17am On Dec 14, 2005
I started something in another thread which I was unable to finish there because it needs a thread of its own.

Ec 1:9
The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
Ec 1:10
Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.
Ec 1:11
There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

God created Heaven and earth in 7 "days".
6 "days" He worked and on the 7th He rested.

Peter reminds us:
2 Peter 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Jesus speaks often of the last "day":

John 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

John 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the[b] last day[/b].

John 6:54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 7:37 In the[b] last day, that great day of the feast[/b], Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

John 11:24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.
Joh 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
Joh 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

John 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the[b] last day[/b].

The last "day" is the 7th "day of rest.
The 7th thousand year
The milliniem, or thousand years of rest.

Digest this and I will add more

RhodaRose
Re: The Last "Day" by alheri(f): 9:45am On Dec 14, 2005
Digested fine, want some more though. grin
Re: The Last "Day" by RhodaRose(f): 3:34pm On Dec 14, 2005
So you see that the last "day" that is spoken of is actually the last thousand years of a 7 "day" cycle?  or the "day" of rest, or Sabbath, for His Children?

Revelation 20:1-7
And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.

And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,

And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

And when[b] the thousand years [/b] are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison

You see that this is the last Day that Jesus talks of, not a 24 hour period?

RhodaRose
Re: The Last "Day" by RhodaRose(f): 4:13pm On Dec 14, 2005
Ge 6:3
And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

God numbers His years in Jubile years and the number of Jubile is 50

Le 25:8-13
And thou shalt number seven sabbaths of years unto thee, seven times seven years; and the space of the seven sabbaths of years shall be unto thee forty and nine years.
Then shalt thou cause the trumpet of the jubile to sound on the tenth day of the seventh month, in the day of atonement shall ye make the trumpet sound throughout all your land.
And ye shall hallow the fiftieth year, and proclaim liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof: it shall be a jubile unto you; and ye shall return every man unto his possession, and ye shall return every man unto his family.
A jubile shall that fiftieth year be unto you: ye shall not sow, neither reap that which groweth of itself in it, nor gather the grapes in it of thy vine undressed.
For it is the jubile; it shall be holy unto you: ye shall eat the increase thereof out of the field.
In the year of this jubile ye shall return every man unto his possession.

Lu 4:18-20
The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
And he closed the book...

120 years of man times the Jubile is: 120 X 50 = 6000 years

"And he closed the book..."

John 6:39-40
And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day

RhodaRose
Re: The Last "Day" by RhodaRose(f): 4:26pm On Dec 14, 2005
Isa 61:1-19
The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;
To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD...

...and (To proclaim ) the day of vengeance of our God

...to comfort all that mourn;
To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that He might be glorified.

And they shall build the old wastes, they shall raise up the former desolations, and they shall repair the waste cities, the desolations of many generations.

And strangers shall stand and feed your flocks, and the sons of the alien shall be your plowmen and your vinedressers.

But ye shall be named the Priests of the LORD: men shall call you the Ministers of our God: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves.
For your shame ye shall have double; and for confusion they shall rejoice in their portion: therefore in their land they shall possess the double: everlasting joy shall be unto them.

For I the LORD love judgment, I hate robbery for burnt offering; and I will direct their work in truth, and I will make an everlasting covenant with them.
And their seed shall be known among the Gentiles, and their offspring among the people: all that see them shall acknowledge them, that they are the seed which the LORD hath blessed.
Re: The Last "Day" by nicetohave(m): 5:10pm On Dec 18, 2005
Good exposition RhodaRose
Re: The Last "Day" by Oracle(m): 11:41pm On Dec 18, 2005
yeah good exposition
these are the last days
Re: The Last "Day" by DoubleRevv(m): 4:49pm On Dec 31, 2005
I was looking for a thread about what one is most grateful for this year. I know this is about the apoclypse but I am really grateful to God for making me grow this year. I love my family more than I eva did, my education was not as satisfying but was really challenging and a big bonus has been my girlfriend. she's helped me alot. I realized this year that I really love my dad and mum despite all the earlier beefs . Praise God..
The end is real no one knows the hour . It takes faith to believe in God, the resurrection and everything. I took that step and I really enjoy talking to God.I'm still learning a lot but I can say this being with God allows me more liberty without compromising cuz I know where I stand I dont battle myself over what is right or not. Thank God for the gifts of salvation and our Friend and teacher" The Holy Spirit."
Re: The Last "Day" by 4getme1(m): 4:56pm On Jul 07, 2006
This would seem a nice exposition except for a few slips: 'the Last Day' has been stretched in the verses quoted to arrive at some other idea out of context. The Last Day is not the last thousand years of a 7 "day" cycle or the "day" of rest, or Sabbath, for His Children - as was earlier construed:

RhodaRose:

So you see that the last "day" that is spoken of is actually the last thousand years of a 7 "day" cycle?  or the "day" of rest, or Sabbath, for His Children?

If one takes into account the calculations offered for this theory, "120 years of man times the Jubile is: 120 X 50 = 6000 years" in connection with Luke 4:18-20 at the time when Christ 'closed the book', then we should be in another millenium and not the 7th! This is because, if one supposes that the age of God's numbering was 6000 years (or the 6th millenium) at the time Jesus was read the Isaiah text quoted in Luke 4, then 2000 years since then should make our present age the 8th millenium (6000 years + 2000 years = 8000 years). So, the figues do not add up to make the Last Day equal to a 7 'day' cycle or day of rest or Sabbath.

'The Last Day' is used in Scripture only in John in reference to the end of the ages when all will stand before God to be judged for whatever anyone has done - good or bad. As such, it is often used in connection with the resurrection and judgement, when rewards will be given according to each person's life on earth.

Resurrection:

John 6:44 - No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 11:24 - Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Judgement:

John 12:48 - He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

Rewards:

2 Tim. 1:12 - For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.

2 Tim. 4:8 - Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Akin to this are such terms used by other inspired writers as 'that day' (Matthew, Mark, Luke, Paul); the day of judgement (Matthew, Mark, Luke, Peter, John), etc. A few examples below show that these all point to the same period more or less:

Matt. 7:22 - Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

Matt. 10:15 - Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.

Mat 11:22 - But I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon at the day of judgment, than for you. (see also Mark 6:11).

Luke 10:12 - But I say unto you, that it shall be more tolerable in that day for Sodom, than for that city.

2 Pet. 2:9 - The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished.

2 Pet. 3:7 - But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

1 John 4:17 - Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

Basically, the Last Day is often a pointer to the time known as the Day of Judgement, and not a day of rest or Sabbath.

(1) (Reply)

Which Of God's Creatures Trips You Most / Trinitarians And Bitarians , some food for thought / A Library Of The Best Atheist Arguments Against Religion/god

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.