Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,992 members, 7,863,551 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 07:57 PM

Administration Of Justice In Nigeria:a Philosophical Explanation And Way Forward - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Administration Of Justice In Nigeria:a Philosophical Explanation And Way Forward (369 Views)

OOU Lecturer Falls While Trying To Give A Practical Explanation (photos) / Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? / The Notion Of Truth In Igbo Thought.a Philosophical Exposition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Administration Of Justice In Nigeria:a Philosophical Explanation And Way Forward by skademzy(m): 8:44am On Jun 23, 2017
I couldn't help but laugh to the wailing of fellow media warlords in reaction to the CCT verdict concerning the Invincible and Untouchable president of the Nigerian Senate with the shout of the word "Injustice" rendering in the air.
Did you just ask who the senate president is? even the most uninformed mind won't claim ignorance of the son of a late kwara politician who with a perceived unclear mandate into the senate was also alleged to have at one time forged the senate standing order in a desperate attempt to meander his way into the most exalted seat in the senate. And with the CCT trial and many other unsubstantiated allegations hanging around his neck, guess we understand why i perceived him as invincible or rather untouchable? If the CCT were to be a part of the judiciary, maybe I would've followed the bandwagon thinking of fellow conspiracy theorists.
The CCT and the Judiciary may differ with respect to the arm of government they belong, the administration of justice has however brought them in unison. And the end (Justice) they seek is the motive behind this discussion.
In the study of Politics, power is central. To an Economist, Scarcity is central. And to any form of legal establishment, Justice is germain. Power, Scarcity and Justice; all subject to various definitions. while the exercise of power is agreed to be by compulsion or forceful imposition of ones will over that of another person and can be measured in relative term. Scarcity as a state of insufficiency is also relative and as well observable. But how do I measure Justice?
Plato in his 'Republic' outlined a conversation between Socrates in company of Glaucon, Adeimantos, Cephalous, himself and Polymachus in a bid to explain justice. He however observed that justice does not consist in mere adherence to the laws, for it is based on the inner nature of human spirit, it is also to the triumph of the stronger over the weaker, for it protects the weak against the strong.
The modern conception of Justice is however rooted in the clause "Proven Beyond Reasonable Doubt" which do force me to ask. how do we measure a reasonable doubt? And at what stage is an argument considered to have reached such height?
With the above questions still left unanswered, I will beg to go by the conclusion of the Socrates as outlined by Plato that Justice is what serves the interest of the Strongest. Based on the Needs that defines Interest which inturn determines ones Position on any issue, the many minorities (Nigerians) will always have their say but the little majority (Policy Makers) will have their way.
And again just like ever, the court of public Opinion got defeated in another appeal against the court of "Justice".

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: Fire Guts ICT Building Of Federal University Of Tech, Owerri(PHOTOS) / Oyo School Governing Boards (sgbs): Ajimobi’s Masterstroke For Education Revival / Question For Undergraduates.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.