Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:35 PM

Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? (8591 Views)

Babcock University Students' Sextape: Zlatan Ibile Reacts To Leaked Video / Malam U.C. Aliu: AAU Lecturer Beats University Students Mercilessly / 6 Madonna University Students And Lecturer Sent Back To Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by ogamiitto: 12:04am On Jun 24, 2017
Hello guys, a friend told me that textbooks can be very expensive in Nigeria. I was wondering if that is true.

Have you come across any instance where the costs of a textbook was a hindrance? Did you need any books or manuals whose access provide invaluable insight but was too expensive?

How do you manage in that case?

Thank you for your help
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Samusu(m): 6:44am On Jun 24, 2017
Can't say for now, during my time it wasn't expensive. But maybe the person below have something to say.
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Nobody: 6:45am On Jun 24, 2017
Textbook??................ ehmm .....will It be free b4? that your friend is an olodo. Didn't he tell you that everything is expensive in Nigeria? by d way, the prices varies for various Texts. If you want to know, come and check d price.
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by project4OO: 6:45am On Jun 24, 2017
Education is expensive

1 Like

Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Godson201333(m): 6:46am On Jun 24, 2017
even for secondary school kids......SO Yes Textbooks are expensive!!

4 Likes

Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by tosynomolara(f): 6:46am On Jun 24, 2017
Borrow and Photocopy nani..

4 Likes

Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by planetx13: 6:46am On Jun 24, 2017
I think that education is generally expensive

meanwhile

Our family is looking to sell our large expanse of land in delta State (638 hectares). All documents are available and original copies (C of O, survey plan, deed of conveyance). willing to sell in parts and also open to partnership. prospective buyers are encouraged to do all verification with relevant authorities before any negotiation is done. contact 0.9.0.8.0.9.5.0.2.1.4 0.8.1.2.6.9.3.9.6.8.7
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by korel9: 6:47am On Jun 24, 2017
am I supposed to answer this?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by 9jamusicanalyst(m): 6:47am On Jun 24, 2017
E..books
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by iHart(m): 6:48am On Jun 24, 2017
extremely expensive, and the worse is that you must buy them to summit assignments and quiz...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by budosky(m): 6:48am On Jun 24, 2017
When I was in the uni, I never strived to buy any textbook. All I craved for was to acquire a Laptop so as to be able to download the PDF formats of any textbook I need. Moreover, not all the required textbooks can be gotten in bookshops whereas most can be downloaded freely online in the form of PDFs.

Another effective, economical but somehow stressful method if you don't have a laptop, is to get a phone with good camera, look for one of your course mates that has the said textbook and start snapping the pages you need. Then you can read it from your phone in such way.

May Almighty help us

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by fait10(m): 6:48am On Jun 24, 2017
Most of us have laptops so we read softcopy
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by kaybright44(m): 6:49am On Jun 24, 2017
you think it was free before
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by phaphyz05(m): 6:49am On Jun 24, 2017
Jamb Question no 40
For accurate answer u can copy from Mr. Google. U're welcome.

1 Like

Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Nobody: 6:49am On Jun 24, 2017
To some extent, yes. I marvel at how students from humble background cope with the expensive price of textbooks. Some so called library are NOT even well equipped with good books to help.

1 Like

Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Flexherbal(m): 6:50am On Jun 24, 2017
Everything is expensive in Nigeria, now.

3 Likes

Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Nobody: 6:50am On Jun 24, 2017
Can't you just use your android phone to snap the book pages, you know that powerful 13-16mp camera is not just for taking selfies & feeling bae

1 Like

Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Nobody: 6:51am On Jun 24, 2017
Soft copy soft work, too many distractions using a device to read sha sad
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by hisgrace090: 6:51am On Jun 24, 2017
Everything is expensive in Nigeria due to multiple taxation practiced here and our way of doing things.
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Edopesin: 6:53am On Jun 24, 2017
Depends On Hw U Define Expensive

I Went To A Bookshop Last Week To Get 7 Required Engineering Textbooks All Amounting To 16,500 Wich Is Actually Nt Dat Expensive Considering The Economy

4 Likes

Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by AHCB: 6:54am On Jun 24, 2017
Judging by the amount of photocopying of text books going on in almost all Nigerian public university, I'll say, yes, text books are expensive.

Then again, take into cognisance the zeal of almost all student to want to save cash, then you'll understand why they photocopy text books anyhow.

Forgetting that by doing that, they rob the author of what's due to him or her. So, I believe text book aren't expensive. Anybody who wants knowledge, should be willing to pay for, cos yea, "if you think education is expensive, try ignorance".

I'm most certain a trial will leave most student/people dumb founded at the massive lackadaisical finding of being an ignorant gnome.
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by pinkguy(m): 6:54am On Jun 24, 2017
The answer is Yes ,Don't tell me your mom never informed you that 70%of Nigerians lived under poverty and 50% of our population in colleges (not high school )and university have lost their father or mother or both,and many of them have to take care of their siblings plus their education
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by incredibleace(m): 6:56am On Jun 24, 2017
Its simple OP, buy the lecturers' text book and you will not fail that course. I did that in my UNI days
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by incredibleace(m): 6:57am On Jun 24, 2017
J
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Victornezzar: 6:58am On Jun 24, 2017
Guy it's better 2 buy so d lecturer no go fail u oo
even if na 5k...buy am
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Juwaro: 7:16am On Jun 24, 2017
Yes
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Damianobi(m): 7:29am On Jun 24, 2017
Here in imsu... U must buy text books every semester and each semester, text books will cost you notin less than 20k. NOTE: be ready to fail any course u refuse to buy it's text book cus the buy dem from the lecturers directly and the lecturers put down ur names. If after exam, ur name is nt on their list as one of those that bought their text books, ur exam script will b used for tissue paper.

7 Likes

Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by candelahria(f): 7:32am On Jun 24, 2017
Textbooks for medical students,particularly clinical(400-600 level are really expensive.

3 Likes

Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by ItsawrapOutfit: 7:33am On Jun 24, 2017
Maybe and Maybe not
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Nobody: 7:34am On Jun 24, 2017
project4OO:
Education is expensive
Education should be expensive
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Damianobi(m): 7:34am On Jun 24, 2017
Jiang:
Can't you just use your android phone to snap the book pages, you know that powerful 13-16mp camera is not just for taking selfies & feeling bae

In my sch, if u jst snap text books, u will mark ur exam answer sheets ursef.
Re: Are Textbooks Too Expensive For University Students? by Damianobi(m): 7:35am On Jun 24, 2017
GogobiriLalas:
Education should be expensive

Oga education shouldn't be expensive.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unilag Generates N5m From Waste Recycling / Funai Matriculates Over 2, 000 Students / EKSU Aspirant 2019/2020 Session Admission Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.