Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:34 PM

70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau (3279 Views)

Buhari Sends Lai Mohammed, Danbazau, Two Others To Dapchi / Full Memo Detailing How Danbazau And AGF Reinstated Abdulrasheed Maina / Danbazau, Daura & Malami Got Abdulrasheed Maina Reinstated - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by Blue3k(m): 4:16am On Jun 26, 2017
‎‎The Minister of Interior, retired Lt.-Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau, on Sunday said ‎that more than  70 per cent of inmates in Nigerian prisons were awaiting trial.

Dambazau disclosed this when he visited Kano central prison alongside the state governor to mark this year’s Eid-el Fitr celebration.

The minister said the decision to visit the prison was to show to the inmates that the government was aware of their existence.‎

‎“‎”The high number of awaiting trial inmates is worrisome, because the prisons are meant for convicts, but you find out at the end of the day that more than 70 per cent of the people there are awaiting trial inmates,” he said.

He said that some of the inmates were supposed to stay for few years but ended up staying for up to  15 years while awaiting trial.‎
‎‎‎

Dambazau, however, commended the ‎state governor for giving a vast piece of land  for the building of 3,000 capacity modern prison in the state.

‎Earlier, Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje‎ said he had secured the release of 50 inmates and also approved the release additional 500 inmates in prisons across the state.

He said that the gesture was part of the activities to celebrate Eid-el Fitr celebration in the state.‎

Ganduje  said the beneficiaries were selected based on gravity of their offence and sign of reformation while in prison.

He advised them to desist from acts that would warrant bringing them back to prison.

He also said the state government would assist them with some money to enable them travel back to their communities.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/06/70-prison-inmates-awaiting-trial-danbazau/

Front Page: Lalasticlala Mynd44
Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by Blue3k(m): 5:00am On Jun 26, 2017
angry this is pretty messed up holding people like that. If these guys haven't been sentences you dont need to hold them this long. The justice system is too slow in Nigeria. My solution to solve the overcrowding situation since the vast majority is pretrial inmates is simply give more of these guys bail, speeding up trials and giving fines instead of jail.

Kano is handling this situation wisely try and release elderly inmates and reintroduce them into society. I would say add non violent offenders to fine list. It's better than spending millions housing and feeding people.

6 Likes

Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by Nobody: 11:03am On Jun 26, 2017
We know...

1 Like

Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by exlinkleads(f): 11:04am On Jun 26, 2017
Is he saying 70% or 90%? In think he means 90%

This politicians self, Always telling the masses what they already know.

Do something about it, they won't.

so whats the need?

1 Like

Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by sayentease(m): 11:04am On Jun 26, 2017
Hello,
I have a laptop for s@le. Clean, fresh and affordable. I am selling it because I want to buy MAC.
Interested buyers must be within akure and Ibadan.

Specs:
HP 655
1.5 GHz
300 GB
64 bit Intel
4 GB RAM

Etc
Price: 50k but slightly negotiable
Call 08106352546

Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by Nobody: 11:04am On Jun 26, 2017
This can only happen in a discombobulated nation like Nigeria. Like WTF! I can't imagine wasting a month of my life talk of years.. Damn,. These guys have the heart mehn.

Whenever they are free, they should check my signature. it will help them start something. This Is barbaric.
Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by auntysimbiat(f): 11:04am On Jun 26, 2017
hmm.... till when?
Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by Nobody: 11:05am On Jun 26, 2017
Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by RichFoundation(m): 11:05am On Jun 26, 2017
U
Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by dessz(m): 11:05am On Jun 26, 2017
Nigeria needs to take a sit and observe her foreign sisters like england,Germany . our judicial system is crap , a person that commits a crime of 2yrs imprisonment or 50k bail, will be awaiting trial in the jail for 4yrs WATDAFUÇK. angry
Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by Papiikush: 11:06am On Jun 26, 2017
I am beginning to hate this country. Too corrupt!

Once you are poor there is no hope for you in Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by weedtheweeds: 11:06am On Jun 26, 2017
As long as you are not connected in Nigeria, it will take a miracle to get you any favor. We have pastors and Imams who sit and preach Tithing and Goodwill every now and then. There are social issues that people who have broad platforms can use their influence to bring to light. When these people eventually get released, the first people they run to are the religious leaders who will, in turn, sniff out the coin left in them.
Our celebrities are very selfish and presumptuous. When they fall sick from drinking and living a life of debauchery, they call on the fans to donate. They get forsaken by the big names they associate themselves with. Sometimes it is not about the money but about love. Nnamdi Kanu spent a few while in Prison, he saw some prisoners who make up that 70% and he used his platform to campaign for them before his trial. I respected that act. People seem not to care until they become victims. The ambulance siren sounds like an ice cream vendor cart effect to some people. They do not care.
Speaking out on issues can only get words out and once words get viral, they become the power. Our judicial system is a fraud. People's husbands (to be) and sons are languishing right in the prisons while D'banj is busy posing with strippers. "that is not his business" people may say but they told us we are brothers or are we not?
Arewa gave Biafrans quit notice, how about Biafrans serving in jails in the northern states?

I blame the government. But who truly is the government?

3 Likes

Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by itiswellandwell: 11:06am On Jun 26, 2017
Hmmmmm. Ogun ogba ewon, emi ati yin o ni ri o.

Check my signature for your quality customised Atm card flash drive.
Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by Philinho(m): 11:07am On Jun 26, 2017
where did their trial travelled to that they are waiting for it?.... lol. Nigeria legal system though
Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by liftedhigh: 11:09am On Jun 26, 2017
Ok
Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by IgboAmakaa(f): 11:09am On Jun 26, 2017
f
Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by todayboy: 11:09am On Jun 26, 2017
Another useless statement from buhari minister
Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by dessz(m): 11:10am On Jun 26, 2017
Papiikush:
I am beginning to hate this country. Too corrupt!

Once you are poor there is no hope for you in Nigeria.
true talkk, abeg come take hot potato for my house grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by Evablizin(f): 11:11am On Jun 26, 2017
Ok,my nigga should come and sell this country sowie institution,use some of the money and settle everybody, allow them to kill them and use the remaining change to buy another country

1 Like

Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by Wapbullet: 11:20am On Jun 26, 2017
HOT!!!

Click www.metropillar.com to get Free Megabytes from MTN

Download latest nollywood movie here
www.360hipop.com
Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by imstrong1: 11:26am On Jun 26, 2017
Someone awaiting trial already serving jail terms for convict? what a country
Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by tydi(m): 11:26am On Jun 26, 2017
I have been there so the man is saying the plain truth come and see people lavishing their lifes there, some innocent, some guilty. I think the government should look into the prison authorities, these guys are animals in human form,
The govt allocates #750 to every inmates for feeding everyday and a stick of cigarettes buh if you see what these inmates are been served you willl kuku say God should end the world

prison warders are WICKED

2 Likes

Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by Papertrail11(m): 11:33am On Jun 26, 2017
This is a shame to lawyers and to the judicial system this is why I prefer traditional days of dispute resolution if I have a problem with my fellow human if we cant setttle it we table it to the elders usually more than 3 or more and in little or no time they find a solution to mend fences and bring bonds but the case isnt so with modern day law system too time consuming untrustworthy expensive and can be seen as bias

in some cases you find out that traditional forms of dispute resolution of elders sometimesoften imbibe the activities of traditionalist to get extra truth regarding the matter.....

what would it take lawyers and fat lazy judicial workers to speed up things and try and assterain justice for this fellow inmates pathetic and osibanjo is a useless lawyer too

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by Nobody: 11:37am On Jun 26, 2017
weedtheweeds:
As long as you are not connected in Nigeria, it will take a miracle to get you any favor. We have pastors and Imams who sit and preach Tithing and Goodwill every now and then. There are social issues that people who have broad platforms can use their influence to bring to light. When these people eventually get released, the first people they run to are the religious leaders who will, in turn, sniff out the coin left in them.
Our celebrities are very selfish and presumptuous. When they fall sick from drinking and living a life of debauchery, they call on the fans to donate. They get forsaken by the big names they associate themselves with. Sometimes it is not about the money but about love. Nnamdi Kanu spent a few while in Prison, he saw some prisoners who make up that 70% and he used his platform to campaign for them before his trial. I respected that act. People seem not to care until they become victims. The ambulance siren sounds like an ice cream vendor cart effect to some people. They do not care.
Speaking out on issues can only get words out and once words get viral, they become the power. Our judicial system is a fraud. People's husbands (to be) and sons are languishing right in the prisons while D'banj is busy posing with strippers. "that is not his business" people may say but they told us we are brothers or are we not?
Arewa gave Biafrans quit notice, how about Biafrans serving in jails in the northern states?

I blame the government. But who truly is the government?
We are the government my brother. A lot of people who mindlessly blame the government would do the same if they happened to be in power. Clear proof of that was the sheer number of people condemning Falz for speaking out against internet fraud. The leader of any nation is an accurate representation of the average person's mentality. When it is not, either a violent revolt takes place, or the leader dies. Whichever comes first. Our government is us and wevare the government.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by shaddoww: 11:38am On Jun 26, 2017
Why is he telling us wat we already know, just do something, isn't dat why u are there?
I beg what is d job of dis guy aside declaring public holidays?
Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by aku626(m): 11:41am On Jun 26, 2017
Waste of space so he comes out to state the obvious and offers no solution but rather applauds efforts to keep the current situation at status quo.
Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by begwong: 12:14pm On Jun 26, 2017
Use recovered looted funds to empower them biko
Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by Galacious1: 12:29pm On Jun 26, 2017
This is so true. Some pple will actually their whole life their awaiting trial. This is bad.
Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by vedaxcool(m): 1:27pm On Jun 26, 2017
Notice how the wailing horde ignored this thread that talks about how the poor languish in jail while pdp vs pdp recieves accelerated trial by the corrupt discriminatory judiciary.
Re: 70 % Of Prison Inmates Are Awaiting Trial – Danbazau by Blue3k(m): 1:32pm On Jun 26, 2017
Papertrail11:
This is a shame to lawyers and to the judicial system this is why I prefer traditional days of dispute resolution if I have a problem with my fellow human if we cant setttle it we table it to the elders usually more than 3 or more and in little or no time they find a solution to mend fences and bring bonds but the case isnt so with modern day law system too time consuming untrustworthy expensive and can be seen as bias

in some cases you find out that traditional forms of dispute resolution of elders sometimesoften imbibe the activities of traditionalist to get extra truth regarding the matter.....

what would it take lawyers and fat lazy judicial workers to speed up things and try and assterain justice for this fellow inmates pathetic and osibanjo is a useless lawyer too

That's actually a great solution. Mediation is alot cheaper and faster. I personally don't think everything needs to go to court but if people explore this option and honor decisions that would be great.

vedaxcool:
Notice how the wailing horde ignored this thread that talks about how the poor languish in jail while pdp vs pdp recieves accelerated trial by the corrupt discriminatory judiciary.

Most are wailers by nature. I do get surprised when people ignore serious issues like this to talk about Buhari speaking to bbc hausa in hausa for several pages. The issue with Nigerians is with the casual apathy.

dessz:
Nigeria needs to take a sit and observe her foreign sisters like england,Germany . our judicial system is crap , a person that commits a crime of 2yrs imprisonment or 50k bail, will be awaiting trial in the jail for 4yrs WATDAFUÇK. angry

It's completely stupid. They might as well get time serverd since they sat in jail anyway. This scenario only good if they are guilty though.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

General Constatine Chiwenga, A Man Who Overthrow Mugabe's Regime In Zimbabwe / Bashorun Gaa - Historic Villain Or Victim Of History / ENUGU 2019: Why The Odds Favour Ugwuanyi By Francis Ede

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.