Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,768 members, 7,813,548 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

Wyclef Jean Titles New Song After Legendury Founder Of Afrobeat Fela Kuti - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Wyclef Jean Titles New Song After Legendury Founder Of Afrobeat Fela Kuti (262 Views)

'Soapy': Naira Marley Set To Release New Song After Release From EFCC Detention / Wyclef Jean Titles His Song “Fela Kuti" / Omawumi Meets Wyclef Jean In New York (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Wyclef Jean Titles New Song After Legendury Founder Of Afrobeat Fela Kuti by atorioke(m): 1:32pm On Jun 28, 2017
Source: http://www.eyereport.com.ng/wyclef-jean-titles-new-song-fela-kuti/

“So for me, the same way kids can have songs called “Wyclef Jean” who are influenced by me, I want kids to know who Fela is and what he means.”

The multiple award winning Haitian-American singer Wyclef Jean have disclosed in a recent interview that the title of one of the songs in his forth coming album [Carnival III: The Fall and Rise of a Refugee] will be “Fela Kuti”.

The ace musician is clearly taking inspiration and paying tribute to the legendary Fela Kuti, who pioneered Afro beat music and much like the Reggae legend Bob Marley spoke out against oppression and social injustice of his people through his many hits that remain ever green in Africa and the rest of the world.

Mr. Jean dsiclosed that the reason why he named his song after the music legend was to make young people know the legendury founder of Afrobeat.

Wyclef Jean speaking to XXL said: “I decided to name it Fela Kuti because for me, I feel like we be thinking of [Bob] Marley, we give a lot of people from our past props, so when the kids hear Fela Kuti, I really want them to Google it.

“Fela Kuti studied jazz in England. Wyclef studied jazz at Vailsburg High School. Fela Kuti then went back to his country and tried to help his country by running for president. Wyclef, you know, did the same thing.

“Then, Fela, through all his obstacles and all that, his music is what pillared him right back to the top. He understood the strongest way to help politically was to make sure the music was bangin.

“So for me, the same way kids can have songs called “Wyclef Jean” who are influenced by me, I want kids to know who Fela is and what he means."

(1) (Reply)

Lionel Messi Renews Contract With FC Barcelona Until 2021. / Celebrity Birthdays JJC Skillz, Buchi, I Go Dye Are A Year Older Today / “I Will Marry You Again In Another Life” – Thintalltony Celebrates Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.