Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,943 members, 7,952,803 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:09 AM

Proposal For Instituting Effective Computer Education In Nigerian Public Schools - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Proposal For Instituting Effective Computer Education In Nigerian Public Schools (491 Views)

Cross River Public Schools To Resume June 16 As Government Mass Produces PPE / New Look Of Public Schools In Borno State / Your Opinion! Bsc Computer Science Or Bsc Computer Education. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Proposal For Instituting Effective Computer Education In Nigerian Public Schools by Appswheel(m): 12:41am On Jun 29, 2017
Proposal for Instituting Effective Computer Education in Nigerian Public Secondary Schools

PREAMBLE
During my time as Uredo House Junior Captain in Federal Government College, Ugwolawo, Kogi State (Year 2003/2004), a handful of my juniors were Computer literate. Whenever these computer literate students disagreed on the procedure for getting a task done on a computer they turned to me, their House Captain for clarity and final say. Each time this happened, I pacified them not to argue – I had not held a mouse at the time. Shortly after graduating from Secondary school, I enrolled for Computer training.

Years later, I undertook my one year National Youth Service at Ijaloke Grammar School, in Emure-Ekiti, Ekiti State. Upon resumption at Ijaloke, I was taken aback by the Vice principal confirmation that the school lived in the typewriters age. At this revelation, I requested her to reject my posting with the intent of seeking for a Place of Primary Assignment at the State Capital – Ado Ekiti. The Vice principal convinced me to stay back to create the change I wanted to see. I accepted the challenge.

I led the effort that got the Schools administrative block reconnected to PHCN, set up a computer room and became the pioneer computer room teacher. Before then, I had adopted a Computer training center within the community where I introduced selected students to basic Computer application. The arrangement was possible with the support from the Center owner, Ayodele Cephas and an elite group within the community that donated NGN 20,000 for fueling the generator. Ekiti State Government under the administration of Governor Kayode Fayemi, donated two (2) new Desktop computers to the School.

I left Emure fulfilled, the school had an active computer training room with 5 Computers, 30 students knowledgeable in basic Application Software – Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Excel. Typing and printing of Examination questions became domiciled in the school.

In 2017, many public schools remain in the typewriters age. Some of them manage to teach computer theory. This development is largely due to a lack of commitment and coordinated effort in ensuring that Public school students are grounded in Computer application upon graduation.

My Emure-Ekiti experience afforded me firsthand experience of how effective computer education can be institutionalized in Nigerian public schools. This is important in an age that the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) is administered by Computer Based Test. More important is the realization that computer education in an ICT age is empowerment and must have skill.

Given the foregoing, I am putting forward this proposal to you and request your financial and moral support in making it a reality.

THE PROPOSAL
• Institute practical, hands-on computer training in Nigerian Public Secondary Schools.
• Training to include computer programming for interested students
• Introduce Graphic Designing to Fine Arts Curricular
• Introduce Digital Marketing to Secondary School Students.
METHODOLOGY
• Design/Prepare a training Curricula – in Progress.
• Get selected schools to set aside a building for computer education.
• Equip computer room with at least 20 Desktops Computer/Laptop. With support from government, philanthropist, old students’ associations, individuals and corporate bodies.
• Trainers will largely be Corps members. They will earn allowance for their efforts and commitment. Youths within the affected communities can also volunteer to support the project.

STAKEHOLDERS
1. Old Students Associations
2. Parent Teacher Associations
3. Corporate Organisations
4. Community Associations/Groups
5. Philanthropists
6. Federal/State Ministry of Education

STOPGAP PLAN
To form alignment with identified Computer training centers within communities to train selected students at subsidized rate. Training fees to be provided by sponsors – Individuals, Corporate organisations, Community leaders etc

APPEAL
I call upon all Nigerians to support this project by doing any of the following:
1. Sponsor at least one child for Computer training at a cost of NGN 10,000.
2. Donate Desktop Computer/Laptop to this project.
3. Use your sphere of influence to initiate this project within your community.
4. Contribute ideas on how to actualize this plan within your immediate community.

All contributions to this project will be duly acknowledged. Regular reports will be given on the implementation and beneficiaries. Lets do this for posterity and the betterment of the Nigerian Child. Thank You.

For sponsorship/enquiries/support you can reach me via mirthfemi@gmail.com & 07052193183
http://olorunfemibabatunde.com/computer-education/

Re: Proposal For Instituting Effective Computer Education In Nigerian Public Schools by estyelis: 12:55pm On Sep 14, 2017
REMINDER: Register for the Free Computer Networking Meet up, holding this Saturday 16th September at 10am and be the Solution provider that every business out there is seeking for

Follow the Link Below:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-meet-up-for-network-admini

Are you interested in building a career in Computer Networking, Hardware, Network Administration, Network Architecture, and cyber Security? Then make plans to attend the MEET-UP for NETWORK PROFESSIONALS at Harmony Innovation.

Our team of speakers are CCNA Members, CCIA experts with ample experience in this field.

HARMONY INNOVATION HUB is located at MM, Alkali street, Off 442 crescent, Citec Villas Gwarimpa Abuja
or Call 07067764490 for description. Practical minds breeds clear solutions.

(1) (Reply)

Higher Education In Russia For Foreigners / Help For My Lil Bro / 15 Mistakes That Are Killing Your GPA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.