Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,624 members, 7,816,568 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

"Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo (13729 Views)

Nigerian Lawyers React To Kano’s Removal Of Police From Criminal Prosecution / Ambode Has Done Well, deserves Second Term - Osinbajo To Tinubu / Adebayo Shittu Busted For Skipping NYSC, Risks Jail Term (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jun 29, 2017
Okay
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by ifewise(m): 7:08pm On Jun 29, 2017
We should pay Tax and still hv bad roads,Poor electricity.I will do government.
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by biz2get(m): 7:09pm On Jun 29, 2017
It is Time..

The Government of Nigeria, Becomes Afraid of the People.

Nobody is Stupid.

Who pays for Services Not Rendered.?
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by FX(m): 7:10pm On Jun 29, 2017
Who be those 214 Nigerians wey dey pay 20m as tax every year? Na lie. I don't believe any individual pays tax in this country voluntarily except those deducted from salaries .Nigerians wey I know. Even the richest Nigerians evade tax. If I hear say they dey pay tax. And again the government is the one to pay Nigerian tax. They are owing us.
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by ELKHALIFAISIS(m): 7:10pm On Jun 29, 2017
we should pay tax so the 93years worthless coma induced Fulani dullard will waste it on medical vacation... he will remain in coma till Jesus come... I no blame this mere coordinator self
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by oruma19: 7:10pm On Jun 29, 2017
for the first time ever i will have to abuse Osinbajo. its like the mumu spirit behind the presidential seat has taken over him. all the free money u get from oil, u have not used well, u have the guts to demand for tax.. come and collect na.. foolish nigerian leaders

5 Likes

Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by teebillz: 7:12pm On Jun 29, 2017
Do you have the facilities to take 90% of the citizens prisoners?

7 Likes

Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by eleojo23: 7:12pm On Jun 29, 2017
Papiikush:
Well, I am surely going to jail grin

Yeah..we are all going to jail...
grin

1 Like

Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by whitebeard(m): 7:12pm On Jun 29, 2017
dessz:
see u there bro we are in it 2geda grin
oh really..! Then in u go ma MAN.

Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jun 29, 2017
Pastors must b taxed too
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by KingTom(m): 7:13pm On Jun 29, 2017
Papiikush:

Long time boss
Omo Wetin happen na who lock you for Okpetu? grin but be like you go keep this new one grin make I talk small small make you no cast like sauce kid grin
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by helphelp: 7:15pm On Jun 29, 2017
Build enough prison dude... And hope to see you there
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by SaulRazor: 7:16pm On Jun 29, 2017
oruma19:
for the first time ever i will have to abuse Osinbajo. its like the mumu spirit behind the presidential seat has taken over him. all the free money u get from oil, u have not used well, u have the guts to demand for tax.. come and collect na.. foolish nigerian leaders

Not just that , they have not told us what they do with the 50 naira stamp duties they take from our accounts everytime we withdraw or deposit money
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by Acidosis(m): 7:17pm On Jun 29, 2017
I don't think I owe the Federal Government a dime.

I should be asking the FG for refunds on my estimated electricity bill. I barely use 20% of what I pay monthly.

For peace sake, the FG should take 30% of my unused electricity fee as tax, and refund the remaining 50%.

3 Likes

Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by hollywater: 7:17pm On Jun 29, 2017
Oh no , this Man has been brainwashed.
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by Rhozabeth(m): 7:18pm On Jun 29, 2017
Oga Ag. President, before u jail tax defaulters, pls what have u done to those embezzling the tax we have already paid? Unserious bunch of hypocrites!
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jun 29, 2017
instead of him to look at the sufferings in NIGERIA and know how to reduce the prices of goods in the market but mba,,,he's even imposing more on us..I thought this man has brain,but I was wrong

7 Likes

Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by dragon2(m): 7:20pm On Jun 29, 2017
e be like say hunger don reach federal government.let us rejoice.... grin grin grin . soon only men that can accomplish stuff will be seek office.The poorer the govt. is the fewer thieves will aim for office.
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by Nifeola: 7:21pm On Jun 29, 2017
I hear u ooo!!! Me wey no get money chop balanced diet or even 2 triangle meal chop/day go pay Tax. Wa gbe mi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by darlenese(f): 7:22pm On Jun 29, 2017
see this short man ooundecided
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jun 29, 2017
SaulRazor:
No Nigerian is owing the Nigerian govt any dime but instead it's the Nigerian govt that is owing us for years of Neglect of the duties and responsibilities to us...No electricity yet we are charged monthly , no roads, no potable water supply , no security , absolutely nothing to show for all the years of Tax we have paid ....
That's not totally true. There are many Nigerians evading taxes inspite of government's effort. Using the word "No Nigerian " is understatement and a fallacy. Trace the history of taxation in Nigeria, you would find ought some resistance from some of Nigerians to tax
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by tanwantu: 7:26pm On Jun 29, 2017
pitlaterine:
Sequel to https://www.nairaland.com/3889440/osinbajo-declares-every-thursday-taxthursday Acting President, Osinbajo has also offered nine months grace period to tax payers to regularise their tax status or face criminal prosecution for tax offences.

Osinbajo gave the ultimatum in Abuja on Thursday at the inauguration of the Voluntary Assets and Income Declaration Scheme (VAIDs).

He said the scheme was specially targeted at taxpayers who had not declared their taxable incomes and assets, as well as those who don’t pay at all, and those who had been underpaying or under remitting.

Osinbajo said the scheme would cover all federal and state taxes such as companies’ income tax, personal income tax, petroleum profit tax, capital gains tax, stamp duties and tertiary education tax.

Osinbajo said that those who failed to take advantage of the nine months grace period would face criminal investigation and if found guilty may face up to five-years jail term.

Also, only 214 Nigerians pay taxes of about N20 million annually and about 900 Nigerians pay N10 million as tax every year.

http://www.looknaija.com/2017/06/pay-tax-face-criminal-prosecution-five-years-jail-term-osinbajo/

mynd44
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jun 29, 2017
nwaanambra1:
pay tax to a country that doesn't provide nor subsidize anything for its citizens! angry

let the government start by providing 24 hours electricity, portable water in every home, good hospitals and good road, well equipped schools and recreational centres, then they wont have to force us to pay tax - we will willingly pay it! angry
Who's the government if not you and I. We have representative there representing us instead of questioning them on what they ought to have done most of us support them .When it's time for election they campaign with promises they can fulfill just as the way a guy woo a lady with words like "you're are my brown sugar, I will never leave you or forsake thee".
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by Nobody: 7:29pm On Jun 29, 2017
handelex:
Only if the taxpayers money will be duely invested into something tangible and not looted as usual.
They will always loot it. That's the problem with most politicians in Nigeria
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by surgical: 7:30pm On Jun 29, 2017
nwaanambra1:
pay tax to a country that doesn't provide nor subsidize anything for its citizens! angry

let the government start by providing 24 hours electricity, portable water in every home, good hospitals and good road, well equipped schools and recreational centres, then they wont have to force us to pay tax - we will willingly pay it! angry

He is the protégé of the apostle of igr, you know they brag with Lagos igr even though not much to show for it by lagosians, because they are hailing Lagos based on generation, he think the only duty of government is to turn its citizens to cash cow, since they came to power it has been taking taking without any giving , stamp duties, increase in port charges,increase in fuel charges, increase, inelectricity tariff ,increase in cost of forex , payments of charges on deposits from one thousand naira, ATM charges etc the list goes on and on, so what is the government going do for us inflation is killing, unemployment rising, businesses are folding up because of harsh operating environment created by the government, he is here threatening jail term, no be business wey make profit go get money pay tax, should do the needful first, fix the economy.

1 Like

Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by dragon2(m): 7:30pm On Jun 29, 2017
No road,No light,No water,No security,No Hospitals,No Good Public schools,No Jobs but you na want tax?! Governor dey travel go oyibo dockita wen cold catch am,senator pikin dey london school of eco,President dey fly jet,Honourable get standby 24/7 plus borehole, expatriate get security wey dey do follow follow and you-na want make i dash you-na money? no worry,come collect i dey wait you-na for my room.

3 Likes

Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by donqx: 7:30pm On Jun 29, 2017
perform too or face eviction
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by usoroh2003: 7:32pm On Jun 29, 2017
Please someone help me to FG to build more prison because in the next 10 months Nigeria prison will feel up. No one is ready to pay any tax when he/she have nothing to benefit from this country, no electricity, no security, no water supply n no road. Abeg tell them may talk sometime else
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by SaulRazor: 7:32pm On Jun 29, 2017
asuustrike2009:

That's not totally true. There are many Nigerians evading taxes inspite of government's effort. Using the word "No Nigerian " is understatement and a fallacy. Trace the history of taxation in Nigeria, you would find ought some resistance from some of Nigerians to tax

I put it to you that no Nigerian is owing the Nigerian govt a single dime and I know what I am saying ...Every single Nigerian loses large amounts of money to the govt daily in different manners from paying for electricity they never recieve to VAT to fallout out of double taxation on goods and services ...Bro it's a big myth when the govt says Nigerians don't pay Tax because you can't escape tax in Nigeria , you pay Value added Tax on every single drop of water you drink , you pay withholding tax either directly or indirectly , you pay tax for every litre of fuel you use , you pay stamp duties , some pat personal income tax , every market , every seller pays one form or tax or the other to a level of govt , even your roadside Akara woman must remit monthly to the local govt and she passes it on to the customer again ..don't be decieved by our deceptive govt ooo

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by joinnow: 7:54pm On Jun 29, 2017
Stupid govt

Make them park well joor
Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by grandstar(m): 7:55pm On Jun 29, 2017
As good as it is to pay your taxes, it is imperative that the tax rates are set at levels that make it enticing not only for people to pay but also encourages foreigners to set up shop in the country.

A company tax rate of 32% (If you include the education tax) is a huge disincentive for many companies to come clean about their true earnings.

The country should follow the lead taken by Central European countries that have slashed their corporate and personal taxes to rates less than 20%. This has brought in a flood of investments from Western Europe and elsewhere. The country that started it off was Slovakia and has been rewarded with massive investments from outside especially car manufacturers who have set up factories in this land of only 5 million people.

The effective personal tax rate of 20% seems good but should be lowered further to about 16%. In Russia its just 13% max rate. This has encourage a few tax exiles to make that country their base.

3 Likes

Re: "Pay Your Tax Or Face Criminal Prosecution, Up To 5-years Jail Term" - Osinbajo by Venica(f): 7:55pm On Jun 29, 2017
of what use is the tax?
how do this people except a worker with minimum wage to pay tax ??Money that can't even cover accommodation ,transports and feeding . hiss
as for me. no lights ,no tax.no water ;no tax. no good road , no tax.no better hospital, no tax. no better school no tax.
wetin go happen make he happen!
na so the rich take de Rob the poor. OOOOLLLEEEEE.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NASS Leadership: Again, Orji Kalu Cautions APC Leadership / Osinbajo Threatens To Sue Those Spreading Fake News About Him On WhatsApp / Osinbajo Receives Nicaraguan Delegation Led By The Minister Of Foreign Affairs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.