Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life (16839 Views)

I Regret Becoming An Entrepreneur: 9-5 Life Forever! Feud.. / How To Cope With A 9 To 5 When You Are Not A Morning Person / 4 Signs You Are Going To Be Fired And How To Fix Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by abbeyty(m): 7:57am On Jul 01, 2017
Human being are never satisfied, you no get job you complain you get the job you are complaining about 5-9
Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by Coldfaya(m): 7:58am On Jul 01, 2017
my brother 9-5 is an oyinbo term. in Naija its more like 7:30 - 6. who go allow you do 9-5. sigh

1 Like

Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by espn(m): 8:00am On Jul 01, 2017
zazawaga:
So many of us were raised to a subtle beat (or loud gong) that went something like this, “Get good grades. Get into a decent school. Get a solid desk job (with benefits). Be happy.”

Problem is, for some people this formula doesn’t lead to career fulfillment at all. In fact, for some, it’s a formula that ultimately makes them want to crawl out of their own skin or run screaming from that solid desk job (with benefits).

Could this be you? What are some signs that you may, in fact, not be cut out for a traditional, 9-to-5 job?

Here are a few signs, plus what should you do if this becomes clear to you.

1. You Feel Like a Caged Animal When You’re in the Office

Sometimes, it’s not about resenting authority at all. For some who aren’t cut out for traditional jobs, it’s the endless sea of desks that makes them want to run screaming from the building.

I remember my own first corporate job. At first, it was all like, “Oh. Sooo cool. Look at all these important-looking people in these little cubby holes.” By about six months in, I was finding any excuse possible to get out into the fresh air. (“You need someone to go pick up lunch? On it!”)

By a few years in, I’d had enough. I lasted a grand total of seven years before I’d flat-out had it. I needed freedom, and I needed space.

What to Do If You Feel Trapped

If your job truly requires you to sit in one space and stare at a computer all day (and you actually don’t mind the work), you may consider requesting the option to telecommute a couple times a week. This article includes templates and suggestions for starting that conversation.

If your role doesn’t really mandate sitting in one place every day, start planning your day (or requesting to do so) in a way that gets you out and about at least a time or two every day.

Monotony can crush even the brightest spirit. Find ways to break up yours (simple suggestions here. Or, if you know an office is simply a no-go, start investigating ways to apply to a field that has you, well, out in the field.

2. You Don’t Like Working Regimented Hours (or Having a Regimented Life)

Similar to the feeling that a cubicle may give you, being required (or nearly required) to punch in and out each day can make you feel like you have no say in your career or life. And having no say may make you want out, stat.

What to Do If You Despise Set Hours

Of course, there are many roles that simply require you cover a shift. If this is your job (and it’s making you nuts), you may want to consider a new position or line of work. Businesses that run shifts need shift workers. No getting around that.

However (and this is especially true if you’re a top performer), if the imposed hours are arbitrary—done because this is what everyone does and has always done—perhaps you could put together a proposal that shows your boss how you can achieve your goals outside of the current schedule.

Use care with this approach, of course. (Keep in mind that your boss may long for a similar scenario but be too afraid to push it with “the powers that be.”) But if you do it strategically and in a non-pushy manner, you may just find your idea is heard. And, hopefully, approved!

3. Spreadsheets Makes You Crazy

I recently worked with a client who was having a heck of a time finding a new sales role. It was a mystery to me at first, because she has so much going for her. But as we spoke, I began to realize that, while she loves selling, she hates (understatement) all the paperwork and reporting that goes along with it.

In fact, she doesn’t just hate it—she’s terrified of it. Thus, every time she gets into a conversation with a hiring manager (for another sales job), they get as far in conversation as the spreadsheets and then she’s out.

The companies she is eyeing simply don’t want a sales person who can’t or won’t also do the necessary behind-the-scenes work.

What to Do If Paperwork Makes You Pout

Whether you’re afraid of the paperwork (or the technology you need to know how to use to complete it), or simply annoyed about having to do it, here’s the reality: It’s probably not going away.

Whether you’re working for someone else or for yourself, your job will likely require at least a certain amount of reporting, documenting, data entry, or number crunching. I don’t care if you’re on Wall Street or running a landscaping crew, business is business and it requires paperwork.

That said, if you truly abhor it, consider finding ways to delegate, outsource, or get support on the stuff you simply do not want to do. If you’re weak on the technology or tools that power the paperwork, ask for training, or invest in it yourself.

If you’re at the bottom of the ladder and can’t just delegate, see if you can trade tasks with a co-worker. Maybe they hate something you don’t mind and it could be a win-win for both of you.

Few of us adore paperwork, but it’s a part of business. So, either get comfortable with it, or get it off your plate.

4. You Resent Being Told What to Do (by Anyone)

No one likes an unreasonable or overly bossy boss, but the true fish-out-of-water 9-to-5-er tends to cringe when she gets even a whiff of “authority for the sake of being the authority” going on.

If you feel a bubbling rage when asked to attend a meeting you don’t want to go to, or work on a project you don’t think is a priority, this could be a warning sign. If you don’t think you shouldn’t have to arrive at a certain time or put in a request for vacation time at all? The writing’s on the wall.

What to Do If You’re Not Having it with Authority

If you’re feeling super resentful about having to answer to anyone, it may be a clear indicator that you’re meant to be your own boss. This isn’t me saying, “March right in and quit, my friend.” Slow your roll. In many cases, this could be reckless. But if you truly despise working on someone else’s agenda, consider how you might earn a living as the one who gets to make the agenda.

No matter how forcefully or consistently people wormed into your head that the formula for success always involves a 9-to-5 job, it’s just not true.

If you’re simply not cut out for one, don’t spend years pining away for something else. Instead, find strategic, creative, or brave ways to redefine your current role, or create your own.

Life’s too short to be stuck in a job (or cubicle) that you hate. So, make it your mission to find relief, or find the door.
Send email to contactus@insidify.com , follow us at @insidifyhq
Kindly share this post if you found it useful

mynd44
lalasticlala

https://discovery.insidify.com/4-signs-youre-just-not-cut-out-for-the-9-to-5-life
Oga OP..You don see m finish..
Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by abumeinben(m): 8:00am On Jul 01, 2017
sommyblaze:

fess ?

First

1 Like

Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by Misterdhee1(m): 8:02am On Jul 01, 2017
I foresee a future where there will be more employers than employees and most of the conventional jobs will be automated.

5 Likes

Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by Nobody: 8:32am On Jul 01, 2017
It's not the African way of life. That is why Africans can never compete with Western countries in the business world. It's not always a bad thing, but we need to learn how to make our system work so everyone can prosper.
Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by Nobody: 8:35am On Jul 01, 2017
It's always very hard to let go especially when we grow up with the mentality.
Last 2 yrs a husband lost his 9-5 office job and that happened when the wife quit her catering job so her body will be less stressed for conception to happen.

The woman was forced to start frying groundnuts.
At first the husband thought it was beneat him to help out.
A graduate riding jeep now into frying groundnut.

He was eventually talked into helping.
Now,d same groundnut fuels and maintain that jeep cos he use it to run around for supply and market.
The wife has not gone near the groundnut fire for more than one yr.
If u pass through their place and see groundnuts on the table,even if u don't like groundnut u must stop and take a look.
They supply hotels and some sellers.
And that's what they use in paying house rent,everything u can think of.
They have employed a helper yet more contracts are coming.

A mere groundnut.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by crowley(m): 8:38am On Jul 01, 2017
rhajaan:
working in the academic settings gives yiu such flexibility....
it is not a flexibility, it a routine. and it drives me nutssssss!!!! U are being controlled by time. You sell your time for money. That prostitution to life. The bill gates of the world dnt live like that. Like animals caged and told what to do or not. It makes me physically sick. Too bad the Nigerian system does nt give us the chance to break into the bill gates world. monday to friday you must be at work at 8am - 5pm, saturday you do ur chores, sunday 8am - 12noon at church. every single day till we quit or get fired 4 breaking one fu€king rule.. sorry for my foul language. just pissed we dnt get to live life to its fullest. we cant go hiking, we cant travel round the world for site seeing nd just enjoy life. we fu€king have to always be at work to live.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by OpinionCounts(m): 8:46am On Jul 01, 2017
SleekyPosh:
Your Salary is that Bribe you Keep getting in Order to remain a Caged slave to another Mans dream..

For me I will rather become a Fulfilled Farmer or CEO of my own Buisness Empire than waste my life, time and Energy on another Mans ambition.

BTW..

Beautiful Piece @OP. cool

That's OK... But remember that you can not build an empire without a workforce and it's not slavery.
Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by neighy(m): 9:01am On Jul 01, 2017
SleekyPosh:
Your Salary is that Bribe you Keep getting in Order to remain a Caged slave to another Mans dream..

For me I will rather become a Fulfilled Farmer or CEO of my own Buisness Empire than waste my life, time and Energy on another Mans ambition.

BTW..

imagine every one have this mentality .. No one will work under a boss.. Buh the fact is some people just cant stand alone they wont last a month buh put them under som1 n they are flourishing.. If every1 turns a leader then who will be led??

3 Likes

Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by sirusX(m): 9:04am On Jul 01, 2017
SleekyPosh:

BTW..

Remember people would still have to work for you when you start your business

Your motivation shouldn't be cz you feel like a slave building another man's dream, but rather cz you have a plan, and your current situation is just a means to get there...either financially or maybe an understudy from your current employer or just learning a thing or two from others around you before you move forward

1 Like

Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by neighy(m): 9:05am On Jul 01, 2017
crowley:

it is not a flexibility, it a routine. and it drives me nutssssss!!!! U are being controlled by time. You sell your time for money. That prostitution to life. The bill gates of the world dnt live like that. Like animals caged and told what to do or not. It makes me physically sick. Too bad the Nigerian system does nt give us the chance to break into the bill gates world. monday to friday you must be at work at 8am - 5pm, saturday you do ur chores, sunday 8am - 12noon at church. every single day till we quit or get fired 4 breaking one fu€king rule.. sorry for my foul language. just pissed we dnt get to live life to its fullest. we cant go hiking, we cant travel round the world for site seeing nd just enjoy life. we fu€king have to always be at work to live.
sadly that's how it is

1 Like

Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by sirusX(m): 9:12am On Jul 01, 2017
crowley:

That is the life most people get cz of the official work wahala.

I see very people each day living that life...where you can even hit the gym every morning or head down to a sporting club. They're never in a hurry to get up in the morning to beat traffic.

1 Like

Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by uvalued(m): 9:14am On Jul 01, 2017
op agricthiinking
Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by Ezionye(f): 9:19am On Jul 01, 2017
zazawaga:
mynd44 lalasticlala this will help Nigerians push to front page please

This will help Nigerians indeed

No it will not cos certain conditions here don't provide such freedom or flexibility.
Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by rhajaan(m): 9:19am On Jul 01, 2017
crowley:

As a lecturer. you decide when to fix your classes sometimes... luckily you can also start your side consultancy services . you get to at least have more control over your time as you don't do 9 to 5 routine

1 Like

Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by sommyblaze(m): 9:20am On Jul 01, 2017
abumeinben:

First
Aiit Sir.
Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by Ezionye(f): 9:21am On Jul 01, 2017
Coldfaya:
my brother 9-5 is an oyinbo term. in Naija its more like 7:30 - 6. who go allow you do 9-5. sigh

7 to 7 rather
Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by Viktor1983(m): 9:26am On Jul 01, 2017
I resent being told what to do, offices feels like a cage, but I like them spread sheets, PDF x excel... I love paper work.
Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by Coldfaya(m): 9:49am On Jul 01, 2017
Ezionye:

7 to 7 rather

hehehe my sister you understand. bondage of life. can't wait to do my own thing walahi but for now, do the do
Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by lonelydora: 11:00am On Jul 01, 2017
Vivos:
Quit in this recession? By fire by force I must adapt to office work. Nobody loves being bossed around.

I dumped mine last month, even though I'm still setting up my biz
Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by onwuakpachris(m): 11:22am On Jul 01, 2017
u on point op...our African mentality so messed up as far as work is concerned.
.we think its all abt d pay..which is even peanuts here...what abt d stress,d time 4 yasef,d work tension.job satisfaction..d bossing around stuff..of cus I know that self employment s nt a bed of roses,but at least u are ur own boss..u grow ur biz.u expand.u av time 4 yasef nd ur needs
u travel around wen u feel like,and my good people daz life 4 u not neo slavery in d name of white collar that pays peanut @ d end of d day..am currently writing ma final year exams js 2 fulfill all righteousness..cus I already made up ma mind 2 go into full time small scale biz wen I finish ma papers and not 2 walk dwhole of ds cursed country under d hot sun looking 4 slave jobs

Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by Gaypal: 1:45pm On Jul 01, 2017
queenfav:
Nope.. Right now, I prefer doing business to lawyering.
Lawyering is a dreadful job at junior level. What kinda business are you eying? I could help in a few way if your considering online stuff.
Re: 4 Signs You're Just Not Cut Out For The 9-to-5 Life by Nairasolutions: 3:10pm On Jul 01, 2017
You need all those experience to run your own business. You need to know how to use spreadsheet and excel sheets for your business plans, cashflow ,break-even and record keeping

(1) (2) (Reply)

NIMC Staff To Get Improved Salary Soon – Pantami / PGD Or MASTERS Without NYSC? / Olutoyin Olakunrin Slumps And Dies In Church (First Female Chartered Accountant)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.