Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,542 members, 7,837,084 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

What’s Special About The Age 18? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What’s Special About The Age 18? (18546 Views)

I Still Steal From My Parents At The Age Of 35 / Oldest Woman In Rivers State Dies At The Age Of 134 (Photo) / Shout Out 2my Mama..what Special Thing Can You Remember Your Mum With? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by Mofpearl: 2:09pm On Jul 01, 2017
Honestly nothing really.

Nothing changes.
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by Zeebae: 2:12pm On Jul 01, 2017
In Nigeria, thats the age that one is expected to be out from secondary school....start school at 3...Nursery 1-3...6 years in pimary one then complete primary school when you're 12....get into secondary school and graduate at 18....once you're out of secondary school and about to enter university at 18, ur gon be on ur own so ur expected to make useful decisions on your own. I dont knw if this applies to other contries outside Nigeria ooo....
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by ivolt: 2:12pm On Jul 01, 2017
hollowpot15684:

The age 18 has been tagged the freedom age.
its bullshit though. Man is born free but needs 18 years to be free.
nothing is special about that age abeg. It is a mental cage to most people. undecided undecided

How ?
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by kitaatita: 2:13pm On Jul 01, 2017
You can vote, marry, drive a car, buy and consume alcohol.
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by Depreacherman(m): 2:15pm On Jul 01, 2017
bros e no d reach 18 again ooh.... maximum now na 16
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by Phi001(m): 2:17pm On Jul 01, 2017
I think that 18 age thing is bs...

They always say when you turn 18, you get matured and all that bs but the same person I was the day before I turned 18 was the still the same person I was the day I turned 18 and was still the same person I was the day after I turned 18...so the days turned to weeks and the weeks turned to months and the months turned to years...and I'm still the same me...

Age is nothing but a number quite frankly...
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by lonelydora: 2:17pm On Jul 01, 2017
Legally you are now an adult and can take decisions for yourself, and can be jailed too if you mess up with the law.
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by hollowpot15684(m): 2:18pm On Jul 01, 2017
ivolt:

How ?

before I answer. Be sincere, what age did you leave your parent house?..
if you still leave there, u don't even have the right to ask me "How".
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by djfabmusik(m): 2:21pm On Jul 01, 2017
frinx:
Officially considered an adult. Responsible to yourself.

You said it all
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by pressplay411(m): 2:26pm On Jul 01, 2017
Good observation.
It is believed the human body at teenage years experience its most significant anatomical and hormonal development. While the age varies in different individuals 18 was probably chosen for late bloomers. You're officially accepted as an adult who can give informed opinions, handle responsible roles and jobs, have sex and actually give birth and fend for themselves, all things being equal.

1 Like

Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by whizzyleejr(m): 2:31pm On Jul 01, 2017
Expected to do crucial things on your own
The freedom is there and they believe you are experienced that's why they say "a fool at 18 is a fool forever"
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by ivolt: 2:36pm On Jul 01, 2017
hollowpot15684:

before I answer. Be sincere, what age did you leave your parent house?..
if you still leave there, u don't even have the right to ask me "How".

While responding to your post, I had a feeling that you may not have understood
your own post.

When I left my parent's house isn't the issue, that you believed you that
someone can be mentally caged for being under 18 is ridiculous because
that suggest that you can actually stop someone from thinking, an impossibility.

I don't know where you live but 18 birthday is insignificant because children
of that age are already in tertiary institution or are into apprenticeship hence
nothing changes at 18 except ability to vote and drive which is a legal not
parental issue.

When you understand the difference between attaining the age of 18, living with
parents and financial dependency, then you can understand my "how" question.

1 Like

Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by Deicide: 2:51pm On Jul 01, 2017
Northmall:
Because society made us believe adulthood begins at 18. Same way society has made us believe so many other scams.
Like marriage? grin
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by Kingpinukecy(m): 2:52pm On Jul 01, 2017
magazineguy:
If what we want in life is the freedom to do all that please our heart at any age and not an eligibility status tying us down till we clock age 18. I have questioned my humble self several times concerning why the world at large keeps on restraining us from doing some activities till we turn the age of 18 and I still couldn’t find a genuine answer to that.

When we were young, we were warned to desist from some adult content movies if we are not yet 18 and today am more than eighteen and I still don’t see a reason why they stopped us from exercising our youthful right before that legal age.

Many guys had started drinking before age 18 and many pretty girls had lost their virginity one way or the other before their 18th birthday and here we are still deceiving our parents that we will be the perfect kid till 18. Many young people have inbuilt talents in them waiting to explore the world but the world has restrained them and they don’t have a choice but to wait till they are 18 .

It’s no longer news that eligibility to do whatever we want at any particular time doesn’t make us an opportunist but a conqueror and that is why I am calling out to the youth of our generation to wake up and make something good happen before the age 18. Many great men of the world today started making a difference in their prime and today we all look up to them believing one day we will rise to fame.

In Nigeria where they tell us we can’t vote, marry and even drive a car before age 18 is still the same country where we see many politicians buying luxurious cars for their teenage daughters only to mark her sweet sixteen birthday. What I can do before age 18 is still the same thing I will do at that age. So, stop aspiring that you will start having or engaging yourself in a serious relationship with the opposite sex when you can even tolerate your nagging sister and stubborn brother at an age far younger than 18.

It’s true that when we clock 18 our body and mind would have been so developed that we can be able to handle any real life situation that comes our way but what will you say of a young guy who even at age twenty one can’t even handle his father’s wealth or a young lady of twenty four who couldn’t cope with emotional breaks up. It’s not about the age but your personal build up and motivation.

source; http://tushmagazine.com.ng/special-age-18/

I love dis write up.Guy chop life extra for there for posting this.
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jul 01, 2017
Deicide:

Like marriage? grin

Bruh, they will come for me if I agree with you lol
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by obioraeze(m): 3:11pm On Jul 01, 2017
magazineguy:
If what we want in life is the freedom to do all that please our heart at any age and not an eligibility status tying us down till we clock age 18. I have questioned my humble self several times concerning why the world at large keeps on restraining us from doing some activities till we turn the age of 18 and I still couldn’t find a genuine answer to that.

When we were young, we were warned to desist from some adult content movies if we are not yet 18 and today am more than eighteen and I still don’t see a reason why they stopped us from exercising our youthful right before that legal age.

Many guys had started drinking before age 18 and many pretty girls had lost their virginity one way or the other before their 18th birthday and here we are still deceiving our parents that we will be the perfect kid till 18. Many young people have inbuilt talents in them waiting to explore the world but the world has restrained them and they don’t have a choice but to wait till they are 18 .

It’s no longer news that eligibility to do whatever we want at any particular time doesn’t make us an opportunist but a conqueror and that is why I am calling out to the youth of our generation to wake up and make something good happen before the age 18. Many great men of the world today started making a difference in their prime and today we all look up to them believing one day we will rise to fame.

In Nigeria where they tell us we can’t vote, marry and even drive a car before age 18 is still the same country where we see many politicians buying luxurious cars for their teenage daughters only to mark her sweet sixteen birthday. What I can do before age 18 is still the same thing I will do at that age. So, stop aspiring that you will start having or engaging yourself in a serious relationship with the opposite sex when you can even tolerate your nagging sister and stubborn brother at an age far younger than 18.

It’s true that when we clock 18 our body and mind would have been so developed that we can be able to handle any real life situation that comes our way but what will you say of a young guy who even at age twenty one can’t even handle his father’s wealth or a young lady of twenty four who couldn’t cope with emotional breaks up. It’s not about the age but your personal build up and motivation.

source; http://tushmagazine.com.ng/special-age-18/

I think that that is the time or age the brain must have completed its full circle of maturity, which involves decision making, abilities to refuse, accept etc.
That is why drivers license is given only when one has reached this age .
At 18,you can be held responsible for your actions and reactions.
All this is because the activity in the brain.
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by Olarababy(f): 3:21pm On Jul 01, 2017
As for me,thats the age i can peacefully enter BET9ja shop without their stupid security bordering me.....they are just afraid of me because last time i went there, i won 27k in a singpe virtual football game....and since then. they began to ask me my age...me am still 17....next year will make me 18.....

So how many likes can i get
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by chiraqDemon(m): 4:05pm On Jul 01, 2017
Makes me remember when me n some of my guys went out to drink. This guy that was 17 back then was downing bottle after bottle and then told us that his dad said he would buy him his first bottle of beer when he turned 18. See us de laff nau. More like 1001st bottle
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by chiraqDemon(m): 4:10pm On Jul 01, 2017
obioraeze:

I think that that is the time or age the brain must have completed its full circle of maturity, which involves decision making, abilities to refuse, accept etc.
That is why drivers license is given only when one has reached this age .
At 18,you can be held responsible for your actions and reactions.
All this is because the activity in the brain.
Not really sha. U will still find that most ppl are still immature at 20 sef. And some r mature at 16. Personally I would have selected 20 as the age of adulthood sha.
But US shock me. Ppl can have sex and even create/have children at 18 but can't drink till 21. Like having kids(or indulging in an activity that can lead to having kids) to me is a more serious issue than getting high/drunk.
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by hollowpot15684(m): 4:11pm On Jul 01, 2017
ivolt:

While responding to your post, I had a feeling that you may not have understood
your own post.

When I left my parent's house isn't the issue, that you believed you that
that suggest that you can actually stop someone from thinking, an impossibility.

I don't know where you live but 18 birthday is insignificant because children
of that age are already in tertiary institution or are into apprenticeship hence
nothing changes at 18 except ability to vote and drive which is a legal not
parental issue.

When you understand the difference between attaining the age of 18, living with
parents and financial dependency, then you can understand my "how" question.
sincerely, I do understand you now.
but in order to avoid further arguments here is a quick outro.

Im only trying to cause atrocity asking you when you leave home. but wait is it not a good question??
take it or leave it, the age 18 is a full blown and believed to be when an individual attain some level of consciousness cry
but it is a big setback on human race to set such age for anything legal or even constitutionally. well, some countries are bringing it down gradually.

take for example you need age 18 to contribute socially/politically, what if you are a genius and your ideas are viable?? don't try to generalize cos I know ur mind is trying hard to do that right now.

im not trying to understand what attaining age 18 means, I already know, I only respond based on how the writer make me feel..

quote:
"When I left my parent's house isn't the issue, that you believed you that
that suggest that you can actually stop someone from thinking, an impossibility."

Well this is highly possible psychologically, which I think is even the base of the discussion.
"stop thinking" is impossible, but "stop thinking consciously" is highly possible. and pls we are not talking about birthday.. there is too much generalization in your write up. thank u
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by gracevile: 4:21pm On Jul 01, 2017
Toto don ripe
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 01, 2017
restricting juveniles from a lot of social activities before they turn 18 is helpul.
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by ivolt: 4:53pm On Jul 01, 2017
hollowpot15684:

sincerely, I do understand you now.
but in order to avoid further arguments here is a quick outro.

Im only trying to cause atrocity asking you when you leave home. but wait is it not a good question??
take it or leave it, the age 18 is a full blown and believed to be when an individual attain some level of consciousness cry
but it is a big setback on human race to set such age for anything legal or even constitutionally. well, some countries are bringing it down gradually.

im not trying to understand what attaining age 18 means, I already know, I only respond based on how the writer make me feel..

quote:
"When I left my parent's house isn't the issue, that you believed you that
that suggest that you can actually stop someone from thinking, an impossibility."

Well this is highly possible psychologically, which I think is even the base of the discussion.
and pls we are not talking about birthday.. there is too much generalization in your write up. thank u

Well this is highly possible psychologically, which I think is even the base of the discussion
"stop thinking" is impossible, but "stop thinking consciously" is highly possible.
Please provide evidence for this.
What the hell is "stop thinking consciously" ?
I am not a fan of ambiguos phrase with no ?

take for example you need age 18 to contribute socially/politically,
what if you are a genius and your ideas are viable??
You don't need be 18+ to contribute socially/politically , except voting(
which is shunned by most adult citizens).
It is even easier these days for the "genius" to contribute to any field
he/she wants.
Can you show how an under 18 "genius" can be stopped from contributing
socially or politically ?

Sorry, you didn't clear anything up.
You haven't shown that under 18 can't think but you ended up
projecting an image of a mind reader which adds nothing to the
discussion.

And I can't remember any Nigerian carrying a badge of 18+ as a licence to
engage in social interactions, it is nonsensical even in historical terms.

You and the OP are making your points based on imagined scenario
rather than the actual experience of under 18's.

If a Nigerian parent restricts(not mental) an under-18 from certain activities,
it is very likely that such restrictions will persist until the child start living
independently, such parents don't suddenly removes the restriction just because
the child turned 18 last night.

As I said before, aside legal restrictions, there is no practical difference between
a 17 and an 18 year old Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by unto(m): 4:54pm On Jul 01, 2017
because of brain development at 18 brain is expected to have undergone proper development for decision making
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by fahvurtaj(m): 4:57pm On Jul 01, 2017
the age wey fit put u 4 kirikiri!
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by Adaomalight(f): 5:10pm On Jul 01, 2017
Enough said ;DEnough said
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by hollowpot15684(m): 5:16pm On Jul 01, 2017
ivolt:

Please provide evidence for this.
What the hell is "stop thinking consciously" ?
I am not a fan of ambiguos phrase with no ?

You don't need be 18+ to contribute socially/politically , except voting(
which is shunned by most adult citizens).
It is even easier these days for the "genius" to contribute to any field
he/she wants.
Can you show how an under 18 "genius" can be stopped from contributing
socially or politically ?

Sorry, you didn't clear anything up.
You haven't shown that under 18 can't think but you ended up
projecting an image of a mind reader which adds nothing to the
discussion.

And I can't remember any Nigerian carrying a badge of 18+ as a licence to
engage in social interactions, it is nonsensical even in historical terms.

You and the OP are making your points based on imagined scenario
rather than the actual experience of under 18's.

If a Nigerian parent restricts(not mental) an under-18 from certain activities,
it is very likely that such restrictions will persist until the child start living
independently, such parents don't suddenly removes the restriction just because
the child turned 18 last night.

As I said before, aside legal restrictions, there is no practical difference between
a 17 and an 18 year old Nigerian.

wow, what major are you? I only ask in order to shift to ur perspective.
I don't want to fatally contribute to this topic anymore, kindly use google to search for some facts you ask for; don't feel obnoxious once you are landed on a psychology page.. cos that is what the topic is all about. there are even deeper fact you going to see

you can start from "can a person stop thinking consciously?"
copy and paste to make it easier. kiss
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by sylvez(m): 7:38pm On Jul 01, 2017
Op are you suggesting disorderliness
??
When you start having children tell them to introduce their boyfriend to you at age 10, then your sons can smoke Igbo in Ur house at age 10
No restrictions abi?

E b like you just had your first sex, the one they've been protecting you from

1 Like

Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by Ekimi1(m): 9:00pm On Jul 01, 2017
Well, Well. Let Me Say Dat Is D Univesal Age, The Legal Age Dat Is Genarally Acceptable In All Part Of D World.
Re: What’s Special About The Age 18? by Ekimi1(m): 9:09pm On Jul 01, 2017
Medically Dat Is D Age Wher D Mind, Body Is Well Developed And To Make Critical Thinking As Well As Taking And Accepting Responsibilities.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? / There Is No Need For DNA Test, There Is Love In My Family - Woman Says (Video) / Court Forces Man To Accept Baby That Wife Agrees Belongs To Someone Else

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.