Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,774 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:40 PM

What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? (18506 Views)

Igbo People Translate This For Me And God Will Bless You / Lucky Cow 'Bless' Pregnant Women With Baby Boys / Guys Can You Propose To A Lady Afer 3months Of Dating/ladies Can You Say Yes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by golamike: 3:19pm On Jan 14, 2013
I always wonder if "bless you" are the right words to say to an individual who sneezes around you. I don't know if it's a Nigerian thing or it's universal. Most of the time, i just keep quiet rather than say "bless you" because i'm not comfortable using those words. I don't know if i'm the only one who thinks those words are not really suitable for that situation. Please, does anyone think like me?? Which word(s) do you consider more appropriate??
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by tinu16(f): 9:51pm On Jan 14, 2013
Ramakallah and d person will reply back Adikumllah that is for the muslims.

19 Likes

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by greatgod2012(f): 3:04am On Jan 15, 2013
I think......."take care" is more appropriate.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by golamike: 9:21am On Jan 15, 2013
I think "take care" is ok.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by mutaalim(m): 1:50pm On Jan 15, 2013
Well, if the person say Alihamdulillai (All Glory to Allah(SWT)) is my duty to say to Yarhamkallahu(May Allah have mercy be with you) and the person have 2 reply back by saying Yahdikumllahum (May Allah Guide YOu)

31 Likes

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 15, 2013
When someone sneeze around me, I look for the nearest escape route(you never can tell what's coming out of that sneeze) sad..

.I say nothing but expect the person to excuse him or herself.

8 Likes

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by mutaalim(m): 3:12pm On Jan 15, 2013
Vikin: When someone sneeze around me, I look for the nearest escape route(you never can tell what's coming out of that sneeze) sad..

.I say nothing but expect the person to excuse his or herself.

Haba sneezing is a mercy from Allah (SWT)

11 Likes

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by executinal(m): 3:28pm On Jan 15, 2013
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jan 15, 2013
Blessing!
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by scholes23(m): 3:28pm On Jan 15, 2013
BLESS YOU

1 Like

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by raynold17(m): 3:30pm On Jan 15, 2013
thunder fire you

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Beaf1: 3:31pm On Jan 15, 2013
You say: Yarhamuk'Allah Khairan.
They will return: Kaffara'Allah lana walaka/ki (she/he)

1 Like

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jan 15, 2013
I usually say bless you and no, it's not just a Nigerian thing, it is said in some other parts of the world. Different countries have different responses. The Arabians would say ""Alhamdulillah," which means, "praise be to God." Hindus say, "Live!" or "Live well!, Russians say "bud zdorov" ("be healthy"wink...

1 Like

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by keystone123(m): 3:31pm On Jan 15, 2013
bless you, you also say take care
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jan 15, 2013
Not necessary to say anything cos if the person goes on and on sneezing, what would you keep saying? Just allow them and eventually ask, "are you alright?"

5 Likes

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Okijajuju1(m): 3:33pm On Jan 15, 2013

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Larrylarex(m): 3:34pm On Jan 15, 2013
if someone sneeze beside me, i'll say 'gesundheit' that is the correct word to use, it's origin is german and it literally means:
'good health to you!'

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by 2n2k(m): 3:36pm On Jan 15, 2013
mutaalim: Well, if the person say Alihamdulillai (All Glory to Allah(SWT)) is my duty to say to Yarhamkallahu(May Allah have mercy be with you) and the person have 2 reply back by saying Yahdikumllahum (May Allah Guide YOu)

tinu16: Ramakallah and d person will reply back Adikumllah that is for the muslims.

Beaf!:
You say: Yarhamuk'Allah Khairan.
They will return: Kaffara'Allah lana walaka/ki (she/he)

All these for sneezing that last less than a second?

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Francheezy(m): 3:37pm On Jan 15, 2013
i wld say surfery surfery 0oh
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by tjskii(f): 3:37pm On Jan 15, 2013
grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by oboy3(m): 3:38pm On Jan 15, 2013
*Slap across the face*
you dey mad !!!...you wan gimme birdflu ni?
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by newacca: 3:38pm On Jan 15, 2013
If someone sneezes and the person says: Al'Hamdulillah (All praise due to Allah), I will respond: Yarhamkallah (May Allah have mercy on on you)
but if the person just sneeze shaaaa I go say: Hold something ooooo grin grin grin Even when I want to be polite in saying it,I will murmur,and the person will think I'm responding politely grin grin

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by funola: 3:41pm On Jan 15, 2013
you can do better grin

1 Like

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by yuzedo: 3:42pm On Jan 15, 2013
INYAMA!!!!!!!!! angry
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jan 15, 2013
I will say "DAMN IT"..Wtf
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by nikkyshyne(f): 3:44pm On Jan 15, 2013
angryCover your mouth my friend angry
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Ernaal: 3:45pm On Jan 15, 2013
Simply say.....'GESUNDHEIT'.Its a german word meaning good health.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by nkemKalu: 3:45pm On Jan 15, 2013
I WILL ALWAYS SHOUT>>>>>>>>>>>F I R E>>>>>>>>F I R E>>>>>>>>>>F I R E>>>>>>>>> NGWISHINGWISHI .........MAY BE SOME OF U DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS FIRE NGWISHINGWISHI. FIRE NGWISHINGWISHI IS SIMPLY.....FIRE EXTINQUISHER.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by soledayo(m): 3:45pm On Jan 15, 2013
mutaalim: Well, if the person say Alihamdulillai (All Glory to Allah(SWT)) is my duty to say to Yarhamkallahu(May Allah have mercy be with you) and the person have 2 reply back by saying Yahdikumllahum (May Allah Guide YOu)
All these because someone sneezed. May God have mercy. If the person then defecate beside u. wetin go happen.

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by dilbert100: 3:49pm On Jan 15, 2013
bless you i use
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by Amakamax(f): 3:50pm On Jan 15, 2013
Some ppl sneeze and say "i believe in God"... Dt i don't respond anything
Bt normally, i say bless u.
Re: What Do You Say When Someone Sneezes Around You: "Bless You"?? by mutaalim(m): 3:51pm On Jan 15, 2013
soledayo:
All these because someone sneezed. May God have mercy. If the person then defecate beside u. wetin go happen.

yes dude any problem with that ??

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Baby Miraculously Saved From A Burning House (Video) / An Open Letter To My Co-Tenant By A Nairalander / Why Blame Women For Everything??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.