Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,415 members, 7,822,933 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

Number 225 Katakata Street - Literature (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Number 225 Katakata Street (1321209 Views)

[MUST READ] Welcome To Lagos: Danfo Palavas (very Funny) / Welcome To The US. / Welcome To My Street (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (263) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by YINKS89(m): 8:38am On Apr 30, 2018
Centino:
make una no vex abeg. truth be say, the thing no been just dey body. every writer will understand what i'm trying to say. just hearing there's a holiday tomorrow, meaning i have a free day so you can expect a midweek update wink
God safe u say u gt genuine excuse I for talk say make ma boiz kom carry u.

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by scarffield(m): 11:58am On Apr 30, 2018
Centino:
make una no vex abeg. truth be say, the thing no been just dey body. every writer will understand what i'm trying to say. just hearing there's a holiday tomorrow, meaning i have a free day so you can expect a midweek update wink
i wee nur cry.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by queenitee(f): 7:36am On May 01, 2018
Issokay
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Cadec007(m): 10:57am On May 01, 2018
Centino:
we no vex at all......ur story is exquisite!
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by MichaelBlake40: 9:40am On May 02, 2018
Centino G'day,abeg hurry up we are waiting o
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 2:46pm On May 02, 2018
MichaelBlake40:
Centino G'day,abeg hurry up we are waiting o

MichaelBlake40...where you crawl out from?

The head still block my guy. All the people wey promise me orijin and orishirishi...oya all of you, redeem una promise.

I need tonic embarassed
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by tsharp(m): 3:59pm On May 02, 2018
Centino:

The head still block my guy. All the people wey promise me orijin and orishirishi...oya all of you, redeem una promise.

I need tonic embarassed

Centino be filled! grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Gobek(m): 9:05pm On May 02, 2018
oga centino, Da ame asad idem, mbok, try and drop udia for ndito na. Respect bros
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by beetown(m): 9:21pm On May 02, 2018
I've been here since the start, frustration has brought me out of ghost mode...

Centino coman update
angry

8 Likes

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 2:44pm On May 03, 2018
tsharp:

Centino be filled! grin

Thanks my bro! I receive it! grin
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 2:44pm On May 03, 2018
beetown:
I've been here since the start, frustration has brought me out of ghost mode...

Centino coman update
angry

Hahahaha what an entrance. Welcome man. Enjoy the update wink
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 2:45pm On May 03, 2018
THE AFTERMATH

The next three months at 225 Katakata Street saw a major shift in the worldview of its residents. Akunna’s travails rocked them all such that they all saw themselves to reevaluate their lives and their roles in all that happened. Some believed that in some way they were culpable. They all knew Awero was having an illicit affair with Talabi and did nothing. They all witnessed the abuse Mama Akunna meted out to her and her children and did nothing. To say it came as a total surprise that that family crumbled would be dishonest. But the death of a woman and her four children was not something anyone hoped for envisaged. Now they were left feeling they had failed in some way.

“You see why I like communal living,” Achike said. If this was in our village, a woman leaving her husband's bed and going to another man’s in the same compound, the elders would have stood up. They would have made sure that that thing that is scratching her between her legs is subdued. They would have taught the man the lesson of his life, paraded both of them through the streets, and had them cleansed. But here in the city, we say we are minding our business, and today they are dead."

“In my place, ekpo nka awo would have taken care of the matter. The woman and the man could have died if nothing was done quickly. The spirit does not take nonsense. But the children would have been saved. This Lagos life has destroyed lives.” Mkpoikanna-Abasi said.

“How does that one work Mkpo?”

“There is a spirit in the land that takes care of married women who cheat. If you just go outside and fvck, your own don finish. Hin go kill you and kill the man sometimes. Your belle go big till e burst and you go go explain to your ancestors wetin dey worry you for your toto.”

“That is so primitive.”

“Primitive ehn, as Awero use because of fvck kill all her children so good?”

“Well. My own is that, from now on, I will not see evil and keep quiet. If we had stopped the affair, Talabi would have gone and looked for another woman. Awero would have been managing Akunna, or even leave him if she did not want again. At least they will all be alive. The tragedy we have seen, I don’t want to see again.”

“We can inaugurate our own council of elders in this compound and take a close look at things as they happen. We all know where we belong in society so we cannot claim importance we do not have. If the only thing we can gain in our lives is to institute a system that will cater for all and prevent things like what happened recently then let’s do it. Mr Zubi, we already see you as our leader. Be the compound chairman.”

“Agreed. Agreed.”

“Mr Cosmas. I too know. Be our secretary and mouthpiece.”

“Agreed. Agreed.”

“Every married man who has children will join the council. We will meet once a month and review things. Anything we do not like, we speak up. If anyone is going astray, we rein them in. If anyone needs help, we offer what we can. We don’t want to sit around and do nothing and someone else ends up at Yaba left like Akunna. And speaking of Akunna, we must take turns to go and visit him at the psychiatric hospital. We cannot leave him alone now.”

“I believe that what we are practicing in this country is democracy. Is it not proper for us to democratically elect those that will make up this council?”

“Have you come again with your confusion Josiah? What has the democracy done for us since 1999? We sheepishly follow the ways of Oyinbo people even when it does not work for us. If I had my way, we will come under a strong man who will whip everyone in line. Democracy is not for Africa because we Africans behave like animals and animals need iron hand.”

“Shut up there my friend! How dare you disrespect us? You may be an animal but I am not!”

“I stand by my words. Look at Libya today. Compare it with Libya under Ghaddafi. They had the most robust economy. Things worked. There was no slavery. Everyone stayed in their lane. Same as Iraq under Saddam. But busybody Uncle Sam went in with their forces and decimated a working system and today the people they claimed they wanted to liberate are roaming about like sheep without a shepherd, killing themselves and destroying what their visionary leaders put in place. Here in Africa, we know how we were prior to democracy. Those of you who are too young to know, go home and ask your elders.”

“Alright, enough. Mr Zubi is our chairman. We will meet every last Saturday of the month and consider things. Everyone should be happy with that. Mr Kingsley, how do you see it?"

“Without a sense of caring, there can be no sense of community – Anthony J. D’angelo”

“You have come again. You have not seen that people have died and we have to solve a problem in plain English.”

“I think what he is saying is that we must be ready to care for each other. That is point of the whole thing.”

“So what have we been saying since morning?”

“Easy my friends.”

Mama Akunna was at first evasive and even dismissive when asked about her dying experience. How did she come back to life after being certified dead? Did she really eat the poison? How was it that it was that day of all days that she became kind to the children and shared her food with them? If Talabi had not made a dash for it and Awero confessed to the poisoning, Mama Akunna would surely have been cooling her heels in Kirikiri by now. Compound members however suspected that she must have known about the poisoning and turned the tables on Talabi and his lover. Irikefe and his father were certain. After the law was satisfied that she was a lucky innocent old woman and left her to continue her life, with a lot of sympathy for having to suffer all those losses and having her only son committed to the psychiatric hospital and now having to take care of an infant grandchild, Mama Akunna turned her attention to her business and used her alleged death to her advantage.
Since people wanted to know what it was like to die, she had a story for them.

“As I just close my eye I just fly go one far place for up. When I reach dia I see one Baba wey wear white agbada with long biabia. Hin come call me by de name my mama give me. Hin say Nkechi wetin you dey do hia? I come tell am say na die I die. Hin come say 'No Nkechi…you cannot die!' I come tell am say papa, dem say I don die. Dem put otapiapia for my stew. Hin come say No. 'You cannot die. How can you die when you drink ogogoro everyday? Hin come tell me say dis ogogoro wey I dey sell, dey also drink, naim save my life. Hin come say 'I sent you to the world to use ogogoro to save the lives my children.' Na so hin talk o! una know say I no sabi grammar. Hin say 'Whoever drinks your ogogoro will not die but have eternal life.' I come say haa, papa, na ordinary ogogoro with root I dey sell o! Hin come say 'Who told you it is ordinary ogogoro with root? I made ogogoro and the root and I gave you the idea to mix the root. Everybody you mix root for will be healed of every disease.' I come tell am say Ok papa I have hear. I go go back go save my people with my ogogoro. I come beg am say make hin no leave only me to go alone. I beg am make hin leave Awero pikin dem. Hin come say dem be basitad. 'And every basitad must to die'. I come say Ok papa na true you talk. Every basitad must to die. So I come wake up. So my people, if una wan live long like me, make una come buy my ogogoro. Anything wey dey worry una, make una come tell me, I go helep una. If to say ogogoro na bad thing or say I be bad pesin, I no for die come back.” Mama Akunna told the same story every day as outsiders flocked to her shed and her business blossomed.

Castro approached Sister Esther and said, “Sister, could what Mama Akunna be saying be true?” Her response was “My father is no author of confusion.”

“But she died. We all saw it. She could be telling the truth.”

“We are not ignorant of the devices of the devil.”

“Erm Sister, Can I come and pray with you tonight? I am filled with the Holy Ghost and I want to share.”

Sister Esther looked this way and that way and said “Your fada.”

Irikefe moved back in with his father after promising to be of good behavior and hoping that her recent travails would take Mama Akunna’s attention from him.

Achike slept with Mama Tobi two more times but began to avoid her when she made him make two basins of fufu every weekend. “If I continue like this,” he said to Josiah “I will turn to an ape.” So he turned his attention to a pretty new tenant called Josephine who was a nurse at God Dey Hospital.

Ndifreke continued to toil to provide for Maya who now had a visible baby bump. He listened to her tummy every day and never returned home without a gift for her. They seemed happy together. Though he worried as her tummy grew, because she still lived with her mother and he was nowhere near getting a place of his own, he somehow felt assured that everything would be all right.

Mama Akunna took note of everything that went on in the compound. Then one night, as soon as she unstrapped her grandson from her back where she put him when she did her business, she lay beside him on the bed she had now inherited and one minute later, they both left their bodies and landed on the roof in the form of kites.

“Why did we have to wait so long to come out here again" he said to her?

“Because it was not yet time.”

“So it is time now.”

“Yes it is.”

TO BE CONTINUED.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by eyesofpearls(f): 3:16pm On May 03, 2018
Ah! Centino baba! You’ve done it again! You keep one drooling for more! Na wa o

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by beetown(m): 3:36pm On May 03, 2018
oshey Centino

you've outdone yourself again.

Really nice
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by itsandi(m): 3:42pm On May 03, 2018
Interesting update smiley Enjoy other interesting stories on Tushstories via

www.tushstories.com

#Read!
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 3:49pm On May 03, 2018
eyesofpearls:
Ah! Centino baba! You’ve done it again! You keep one drooling for more! Na wa o

wink wink
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 3:49pm On May 03, 2018
beetown:
oshey Centino

you've outdone yourself again.

Really nice

Thanks man.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by phoenixchap: 9:15pm On May 03, 2018
Centino k duff my hat but my gun is still equally loaded but no be for u anyways.. I hope the writer block done clear, cos steady updates and perhaps 2X a week like my plea as always will take over. wink
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by tsharp(m): 9:26pm On May 03, 2018
Thanks for the update Centino. Lost hope for dis week when yesterday passed. Abeg still try on Sunday.

Mama Akunna sent to liberate the world with Ogogoro grin

Centino na master.

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by MichaelBlake40: 12:32am On May 04, 2018
Centino:

I need tonic embarassed
I dash you 12 bottles of tonic and wine combined.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by MhizSuccess(f): 12:45am On May 04, 2018
wow. Thanks for the update
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 6:55am On May 04, 2018
phoenixchap:
I hope the writer block done clear

e be like grin
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 6:56am On May 04, 2018
tsharp:
Thanks for the update Centino. Lost hope for dis week when yesterday passed. Abeg still try on Sunday.

Mama Akunna sent to liberate the world with Ogogoro grin

Centino na master.

Thanks man. Sunday...hmmm cheesy
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 6:57am On May 04, 2018
MhizSuccess:
wow. Thanks for the update

You're welcome wink
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Ann2012(f): 8:09am On May 04, 2018
Tnx for the update Centino, pls more!!!
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by scarffield(m): 2:59pm On May 04, 2018
Oga centino weldone o!.....i dash u 4shots of mama akunna live-saving ogogoro.
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by labelle123(f): 9:54pm On May 04, 2018
scarffield:
Oga centino weldone o!.....i dash u 4shots of mama akunna live-saving ogogoro.
lol has in eeeee
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by headbasher96(m): 11:23am On May 05, 2018
centino abeg my motor hang for here no towing van so i want remain here more grease to your elbow bro

1 Like

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by gabi98(m): 3:32pm On May 05, 2018
Oga Centino Nice update, I want you to know that we're still here, we ain't going until you finish what you started
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by Centino: 9:18am On May 06, 2018
RESUMPTION

“So tell me, how did you do it? Stay dead for two days?”

“I’ll first tell you that it is dangerous. One bad move and you can’t re-enter your body. I put everything on the line. I needed to make that big statement. First, it was the stupid boys putting weed in my food. Then Talabi putting poison! When were they going to learn? Well, I came out here the first night and followed them close when they took my body away. I was listening to their plans for it. When they said they were taking it to the General Hospital mortuary, I felt relieved. I know they are understaffed and don’t have space in the freezers, meaning they will leave me somewhere for a while without tempering until people come to claim other corpses. The daytime was the difficult part. It is not for nothing that we always return to our bodies before daybreak. You don’t want to be in this state without adequate protective cover which the night provides. Best bet is to go far into the forest if you must be away during the day, but I couldn’t risk being far from my body and not knowing what they did with it. So I looked around and found someone I possessed. So I sat at the gate of the mortuary and watched. I knew where they kept my body and knew it won’t be my turn until the following day. So as soon as I sensed the hour approaching, I left the body of the madman and went back into mine. I was conscious for two hours but the poor man working on the corpses had no clue. Anyway, I pulled it off. It was 50/50. Anything could have gone wrong. I won in the end.”

“Wow! That’s thrilling.”

“Don’t ever try it. I could because even if I did not make it, I have lived my life.”

“Okay. Something to remember for when I am old.”

“When you are old, make sure you allow your children a little affluence. Even we witches now know to sacrifice a little. We are evolving like the rest of the world. So you can have a bedroom to yourself when you visit them and can put a do not disturb sign on the door so you can go out and enjoy daytime activities from time to time. I mentioned the forest earlier. If you ever go there in the daytime, you will be better convinced that there is no better life than this.”

“Really? Why so?”

“You will meet witches from all over the world. The different time zones mean it is night for some of them so they can come around and play. I love the guys from Haiti. Oh my, they are something else.”

“I want to experience this.”

“You are a long way from there.”

“I will do all I can to reach there.”

“Ok back to here and now.”

“Yes. Who do we visit tonight? I’m hungry for action.”

“Calm down. We need to plan.”

“Of course.”

“Ndifreke’s people are not happy with me.”

“Why?”

“Because he seems to be making a headway in life.”

“Yes, I thought so too. He is now reading Think and Grow Rich and The Secret.”

“If he likes, let him read Sleep and Grow Rich. Nothing happens for you until you have disentangled yourself from our grip. I’m expecting his people soon, together we will tighten the ropes again and pin him down. He will be thrown out of the Wharf this week.”

“Wow, lovely!”

“We will turn his attention towards women. It would be fun if he impregnates another person. We’ll see about that. We can only do as his people want.”

“How about the rest? Like Mr Zubi. You know he has money. Why don’t we make him lose his job too?”

“We can’t touch him.”

“Why?”

“There is no link. Witchcraft is a thing of the blood. You cannot really affect the destinies of people you have no blood link with. You may do so in tandem with their people who will always find you, as with Ndifreke. I can’t perceive Zubi’s people. If he were more ambitious, he would not even be here. There is nothing in his path. People like him can read Think and Grow Rich and if they can apply the principles, they can get somewhere. All we can do to his type is to go to their rooms and mess with their dreams and scratch their bodies after we have made love to them. But if they are fearless and resist we have to scram.”

“Ok. So let’s do it.”

“We will. We will visit everyone tonight. It’s been three months. But the big assignment is with Ndifreke when his people arrive.”

“Okay. What about Irikefe? We have scores to settle. And visiting him is tricky.”

“I know. Don’t worry, I will find a way.”

“And we can’t ruin him like we can Ndifreke right?”

“Not quite. With people like that, you work on their weaknesses. Constantly stay in their consciousness and point them in the direction of destruction. You will depend on their cooperation. If they too are strong and live right, then there’s nothing we can do. But in his case, he isn’t.”

“Good. Because he can’t go scot-free.”

“I know. I will leave him for now. What I need to do principally is to get to Maya in the daytime. Her tummy is beginning to show.”

“Is it time for the soul to incarnate?”

“No, but I need to prepare the ground for it. A physical touch would be most effective. She won’t be able to erase that. The first kick is in six weeks.”

“I leave that to you. Can I go now? I have work to do on Mama Tobi. Now that Achike has dumped her, I need to take care of her.”

“Naughty boy. As she has decided to open her legs in her old age, yes we should keep her occupied. Have fun. I will wait here for my guests.”

Maya tossed and turned as she continued to come to terms with the changes in her body. There was no light so she could not sleep. She touched herself and saw that the discharge continued to increase. Her bladder was full again and she needed to pee. How many times had she peed already since she turned in at 10? She could not remember. She picked up her phone and checked the time. It was 2 am. Then all of a sudden, she felt a presence. The room suddenly became dense and her head felt like it had doubled in size. She tried to lift her arm but she could not. She tried her legs but it felt like they placed a huge rock on them. It was as if she had been nailed to the floor where she slept. She opened her mouth but nothing came out. Slowly she slipped into unconsciousness. Then from what seemed like a distance, she heard her mother moaning and calling Achike. She tried to focus but could not. But she heard right. “Achike, I thought you will not come back. My daughter is already gone. My nyash is bigger than hers. Enjoy it Achike.” Maya continued to hover between sleep, wakefulness, and paralysis until she drifted off and woke up two hours later. Everywhere was calm now. She had control of her body and extremities again. Gingerly she stood and went to the bathroom and returned. She lay back and thought about what had happened. She would need to speak to someone about it in the morning.

“My mother was moaning in her sleep and calling Achike,” Maya said to Nidifreke. “That is so strange.”

“Why is it strange?”

“What do you mean why is it strange?” Maya looked at Ndifreke squarely in the eyes. His eyes betrayed a knowingness that she found disconcerting. “Why are you looking like that?”

“Em like how?”

“Like you know something I don’t.”

“Me? no o! I don’t know anything.”

Maya knew he was not telling the truth. While she studied him, Mkpoikanna came into the room. Mkpoikanna was renowned for his forthrightness. He was just the right person to ask the question. “Bro Mkpoikanna. Please tell me. What do you know about my mother and Achike?”

Mkpoikanna first looked at Ndifreke who now wore a resigned look and then said: “Achike dey fvck your mama na.” He then picked up his knapsack and left the room as if he had just said the grace. Maya sank back in her seat. It all began to make sense. She had thought he was close to her mother because he wanted to get to her that way. Now she knew why she never heard her mum mention him in her presence which was what Maya expected after she saw them together. She now knew why all of a sudden her mum began to wear lipstick.

“You know I can’t come and tell you that,” Ndifreke said.

“I understand.”

“How do you feel?”

“Truth is I can’t be bothered if my mum has a lover. But Achike. After our history. Is it right?”

“We cannot judge your mother Maya.”

“Hmmm.”

“Yes Maya.”

“There’s something else.”

“Tell me.”

“I think something or someone comes to our room at night.”

“How?”

“Something entered our room last night. I’m sure of it. I couldn’t sleep because I’m needing to pee frequently and there was no light. I felt it. Shortly after it entered, my mum began to moan and call Achike. It was not a dream.”

Ndifreke stood and walked to the window. Maya stood too and went and stood by him.

“I am trying to understand what happened to me too last night.” Sensing he would alarm her, Ndifreke turned and said, “Maybe it was nothing.”

“No don’t say so. I know what I felt was not nothing. If you felt something similar then there is something wrong.”

“I saw three people. It was a dream all right but if felt very real. They hid their faces because they thought I would recognize them. They tied me to a stake and left me there. I woke up very weak.”

“I think we need to pray.”

“Well, maybe.”

“No, seriously. We are under attack.”

Ndifreke thought about it and said “Easy. It was a nightmare. And it’s a coincidence it happened to two of us in one night.”

Maya was not convinced, but she did not wish to argue. She would talk to her mother about it. They had to do something.

“I have to go now. I need to lie down before my mother returns from the market. Please think about what I have told you. We need to do something.”

“Alright darling” Ndireke said and took her hands. “Soon I’ll get a place and you will move in with me okay? I feel bad that you are carrying my child and you cannot even have a good sleep.”

Maya nodded and said, “it’s ok. Let me go now.”

Maya took two steps in the corridor and tripped over a large snail shell. As she was about to fall she felt someone hold her by the waist from behind. She felt a sudden jolt as the hand caressed her stomach before she was spun round to face Mama Akunna.

“Na who keep dis tin for hia? shey you no wound?”

“No mama. I’m fine. How you manage catch me quick like dat?”

“Na ya luck say I quick see you as you wan fall. I see say you no look ground as you comot for ya man house.”

“Thank you Mama."

“No problem my pikin."

Maya got to the staircase and started to climb. But she could not ignore the burning sensation she felt where Mama Akunna had touched her tummy. She turned back and looked and saw that she was still standing there.

Mama Akunna was smiling at her.

TO BE CONTINUED

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 9:44am On May 06, 2018
Hmm... The witch will soon meet her Waterloo... Thanks Centino...
Re: Number 225 Katakata Street by FreshestManny(m): 10:35am On May 06, 2018
Centino:
THE AFTERMATH

Hin say 'Whoever drinks your ogogoro will not die but have eternal life. I beg am make hin leave Awero pikin dem. Hin come say dem be basitad. 'And every basitad must to die'. I come say Ok papa na true you talk. Every basitad must to die.

The bolded made me laugh so hard. I enjoy the story Centino. It's 'da bomb'

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (263) (Reply)

Countless (a story of Sex, Betrayal and vengeance) by Darousmart Emmanuel.

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.