Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,593 members, 7,812,937 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:03 PM

Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching (6009 Views)

FG Submits School Reopening Proposal To National Assembly / University Of Jos Moves To Permanent Site After 44 Years / Senate Moves To Scrap Post-UTME (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by swiz123(m): 10:15pm On Jul 04, 2017
Lagos – The Lagos State House of Assembly on Tuesday passed a resolution to revive teaching and learning of history as a subject in schools for nation building.
The House called on Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode to direct relevant ministries and agencies of the state to revive and enhance teaching of history.
The Assembly also called on the state ministry of education to brief the House committee on education on strategies to be used to achieve the goal.
The Deputy Majority Leader, Mr Olumuyiwa Jimoh, who moved the motion, said that there had been a decline in the teaching of history in schools.
“Our history and collective patrimonies should be taught in schools to address some of the fundamental issues on nation building and give us direction.
“Without history, we are a lost race; it is through history we know our origin and tradition.
“We need to resuscitate it and make its teaching compulsory. Without our history, there is no way we can develop,” he said.
Other lawmakers also decried the decline in history teaching in schools, saying that Nigeria had suffered much from the decline.
According to them, history is important for the socio-economic, cultural and political development of the nation.
The lawmaker decried the decision of the National Council of Education in 2007 that teaching of history was not necessary in schools.
The Chairman, House Committee on Education, Mr Lanre Ogunyemi, said it was sad that history was no longer taught in many schools.
Ogunyemi said that subjects such as social studies, civic education and government could not replace history.
“The importance of history to mankind can’t be overemphasised because it helps us to remember the past and shape our future.
“ No one can kill history no matter how he tries. The earlier we bring back teaching of history in our schools, the better for us,” he said.
Mr Rotimi Olowo, the Chairman, House Committee on Budget and Economic Planning, said that study of history would enhance national integration and economic prosperity.
“Studying the evolution of Nigeria will make us to appreciate ethnic diversities, national resources and end many agitations.
“The economy of Nigeria is in comatose because we fail to appreciate history.
“ Teaching of history is imperative and is capable of moving the nation to the next level,” Olowo said.
Mr Jude Idimogu (APC-Oshodi/Isolo II) said that agitations might have been avoided if history were well taught in schools.
Mr Oladele Adekanye, the Chairman, House Committee on Commerce and Industry, who decried that many graduates of history were jobless, said that history teaching was essential.
In his submission, Speaker Mudashiru Obasa described history as a teacher.
Obasa said: “History is like a teacher teaching us where we were, where we are, and the way to go.
“It is to our own advantage politically, economically, culturally and others.
“It is important to return history to our school curriculum.”
Sources;www.vanguardngr.com/2017/07/lagos-assembly-moves-return-history-teaching/
cc:lalasticlala

10 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by ShobayoEmma(m): 10:20pm On Jul 04, 2017
And remember to teach them the history of the evil and unholy amalgamation of the masses from the north with the elites from the south.

17 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by Young03(m): 10:32pm On Jul 04, 2017
Teach them about the civil war n the jihad of usman danfodio

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by GLOBALINF: 2:01am On Jul 05, 2017
This is the best way to go! I remember asking a 19year old guy, if he knew anything about the man drawn on 100naira note! So sad he didn't even know he was once the premier of south-west.
He didn't know anything about Abiola even claimed he never had about him before.
We need history. I'm sure when some people hear the history of their homeland and how we got to where we are, they will not just wake up one day and start disturbing everyone of breakup.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by swiz123(m): 6:31am On Jul 05, 2017
GLOBALINF:
This is the best way to go! I remember asking a 19year old guy, if he knew anything about the man drawn on 100naira note! So sad he didn't even know he was once the premier of south-west.
He didn't know anything about Abiola even claimed he never had about him before.
We need history. I'm sure when some people hear the history of their homeland and how we got to where we are, they will not just wake up one day and start disturbing everyone of breakup.
Must you direct everything at the igbo nation.
I assume you know history a bit, do you know how the northerners ended up calling igbos 'nyemiri',if you do, you will realize that it is the most cruel way to kill someone,not even an enemy.I think it's fair to say that northerners contribute little or not nothing,save agriculture,to growth and development of Nigeria.

15 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by Pavore9: 7:15am On Jul 05, 2017
That is good.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by samkay3g(m): 7:17am On Jul 05, 2017
better
Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by MirJay: 7:18am On Jul 05, 2017
G
Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by Nobody: 7:19am On Jul 05, 2017
GLOBALINF:
It seems you re the 19 year old

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by Nobody: 7:19am On Jul 05, 2017
Awesome.... Good development!!

History is good, some people cant be preaching hatred and filling the young minds with adultrated history just to align with them politically in places of worship.

We need to be thought right from scratch.
Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by Queenlovely(f): 7:19am On Jul 05, 2017
History is a boring subject. Why was it scrapped in the first place
Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by jamace(m): 7:22am On Jul 05, 2017
Sadly, those who learnt History and Religious studies in school are the same people who have messed up leadership and crippled the country.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by Gravas(m): 7:23am On Jul 05, 2017
This is commendable. A right step in the right direction. There is need to return History to school curriculum.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by Ahmeduana(m): 7:25am On Jul 05, 2017
THAT IS A GOOD MOVE, HAD BEEN HISTORY IS OFFER IN ALL THE SOUTHWEST SCHOOLS AM VERY SURE NONE OF THOSE KIDS THAT VOTED BUHARI WOULD HAVE VOTE THAT EMPTY SKULL OF A PRESIDENT

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by udemzyudex(m): 7:25am On Jul 05, 2017
ShobayoEmma:
And remember to teach them the history of the evil and unholy amalgamation of the masses from the north with the elites from the south.

Yeah,and how wicked lugard was.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by Nobody: 7:26am On Jul 05, 2017
How do you throw out history as a subject and retain CRK and IRS? Who does that? OIN- Only In Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by Kiakia(m): 7:27am On Jul 05, 2017
ShobayoEmma:
That amalgamation is one of the root causes of the problems confronting Nigeria today.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by rozayx5(m): 7:32am On Jul 05, 2017
Kiakia:
That amalgamation is one of the root causes of the problems confronting Nigeria today.

1914 was the root of all our problems

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by keypad1: 7:32am On Jul 05, 2017
Will the fight between afonja and the fulani be included in the histort teaching?

I wan know wetin happen to afonja

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by Solomonudofia(m): 7:32am On Jul 05, 2017
Yes this is a good move .... Going back to drawing board because if don't know where you are coming from you will never know where you are going....

The western world saw the value of history and they stated keeping and teaching them to their children so that they dont repeat the mistakes of their fathers...

This is the reason why so many of our youths clamour for war when so many of them hv not seen one before apart from the one we see from movies....

How I wish all state will adopt this.....

News flash... World war III Loading..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBiKGM3FEQc
Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by Miroslavklose: 7:34am On Jul 05, 2017
error.

Can a state Unilaterally change curriculum?
Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by menxer: 7:35am On Jul 05, 2017
swiz123:

Must you direct everything at the igbo nation.
I assume you know history a bit, do you know how the northerners ended up calling igbos 'nyemiri',if you do, you will realize that it is the most cruel way to kill someone,not even an enemy. I think it's fair to say that northerners contribute little or not nothing,save agriculture,to growth and development of Nigeria.

You shot down your argument with the bolded. No nation can grow without depending on agriculture.

Even as we are e-warring , would we have the strength to type if we have not eaten for some days?

You need history to know you can't disassociate agriculture from nation building.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by madenigga2dcore(m): 7:36am On Jul 05, 2017
Hmmm
Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by Nobody: 7:37am On Jul 05, 2017
@Queenlovely Did you just say 'history is boring'?
Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by Miroslavklose: 7:38am On Jul 05, 2017
Ahmeduana:
THAT IS A GOOD MOVE, HAD BEEN HISTORY IS OFFER IN ALL THE SOUTHWEST SCHOOLS AM VERY SURE NONE OF THOSE KIDS THAT VOTED BUHARI WOULD HAVE VOTE THAT EMPTY SKULL OF A PRESIDENT

Insanity on display.

What part of history that would have been taught is enough to tell people not to vote for Buhari?

What could have happened could have been that people would be angry more with Ojuiku for his greed for power and hatred for others.

Yes, we would have learned how he started a war and ran away from what he started
Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by GLOBALINF: 7:43am On Jul 05, 2017
menxer:

You shot down your argument with the bolded. No nation can grow without depending on agriculture.

Even as we are e-warring , would we have the strength to type if we have not eaten for some days?

You need history to know you can't disassociate agriculture from nation building.

Thanks jare, I never mentioned any race here but some are quick to jump on conclusion, is it only igbo or biafra that want to go? South-south is there, Middle -belt is also there. I just don't know what some people's problems are self.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by menxer: 7:50am On Jul 05, 2017
mansakhalifa:
How do you throw out history as a subject and retain CRK and IRS? Who does that? OIN- Only In Nigeria.
That is what I was thinking, when I saw this thread, because CRK and IRS are steeped in history albeit not ours.

It's only history that will tell the story of the spread of these religious practices, the political and cultural issues thereto as it pertains to us.
Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by luluman: 7:53am On Jul 05, 2017
ShobayoEmma:
as well as the rise & fall of Ojukwu
Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by breakeven: 7:53am On Jul 05, 2017
Good move by Lagos assembly. Some people in this country want our children to forget that they are settlers in Nigeria and yet they are oppressing the original owners of Nigeria.
Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by seguno2: 7:55am On Jul 05, 2017
Why did they waste 18 years before they realised that they should bring back history teachers?
Anyway sha, better late than never.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Assembly Moves To Return History Teaching by lonelydora: 7:55am On Jul 05, 2017
Ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Check 2020 Fsb Bea Scholarship Results + Questions And Answers Thread / Nigerian Oil Tycoon Donates $1m To US University / See The Giant Scorpion I Saw At My Door Net Yesterday Night @my Lodge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.