Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,010 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1107) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2063373 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1104) (1105) (1106) (1107) (1108) (1109) (1110) ... (1694) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 7:11am On Jan 07, 2022
adedejis2:
Hello house. Please I need your opinion about this. Although seller did nt specify if it comes wit CC, that one na minor. Is this worth it/realistic for 200k?

This looks 18650 DIY packs in 3s config (going by the 12v on the voltmeter). 150ah is quite some power if it truly is 150ah. Also for him to have provided 1000w continouos (2000w peak) inverter along with it may mean he already has performed his tests on the pack to know that at least a 500w load can get quite some juice in the 150ah pack.

As per the controller not provided, usually in these kind of DIY packs, the charging is done via a solar panel input which has a DC - DC buck (step down) converter. So all you just need to do is plug in your 150w solar panel directly to the pack.

If he provides a durable BMS in the pack, a good and reliable buck converter and a good warranty (maybe at least one year), then you may consider it.

Can you provide here for us the gadgets he says this could power and the estimated backup time (duration of work) after full charge?

Also ask him if it requires)/comes with CC. And he should explain to you the method of charging. As the client, you should know these and many more technical details about what you intend to buy.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by temmyt20(m): 9:26am On Jan 07, 2022
ceaser:

This looks 18650 DIY packs in 3s config (going by the 12v on the voltmeter). 150ah is quite some power if it truly is 150ah. Also for him to have provided 1000w continouos (2000w peak) inverter along with it may mean he already has performed his tests on the pack to know that at least a 500w load can get quite some juice in the 150ah pack.

As per the controller not provided, usually in these kind of DIY packs, the charging is done via a solar panel input which has a DC - DC buck (step down) converter. So all you just need to do is plug in your 150w solar panel directly to the pack.

If he provides a durable BMS in the pack, a good and reliable buck converter and a good warranty (maybe at least one year), then you may consider it.

Can you provide here for us the gadgets he says this could power and the estimated backup time (duration of work) after full charge?

Also ask him if it requires)/comes with CC. And he should explain to you the method of charging. As the client, you should know these and many more technical details about what you intend to buy.
Cc leverage12

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 9:48am On Jan 07, 2022
adedejis2:
Hello house. Please I need your opinion about this. Although seller did nt specify if it comes wit CC, that one na minor. Is this worth it/realistic for 200k?

TOO CHEAP, LIKELY NOT A 150AH LITHIUM BATTERY. maybe 100ah or less...or perhaps 150ah but grade c

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 9:52am On Jan 07, 2022
odimbannamdi:
I connected my 2 units of fullriver batteries in parallel and used it over the night. When I woke up this morning, one of the batteries has dropped to 12.0v while the other one is still at 12.7v.

Please, why is that so and what am I possible doing wrong?

the chronic killer of lead acid batteries - voltage /health imbalance.
one of your batteries is weak...and it will continue killing the healthy battery, till both are dead...did you buy and install them same time??.

also, I know you would be tempted to replace the failing battery with a new battery....don't do this, as its a vicious cycle, and the cycle will repeat again in 6 months.

continue managing the setup, perhaps buy a battery balancer and install and hope for the best....then when the batts fail..you can buy 2 new fresh batteries and hook up the balancer from day 1....or you man up and go lithium....

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 10:17am On Jan 07, 2022
adedejis2:
when it is too cheap, run! 200k cannot buy real 12v 150ah lithium battery and 2pcs of 150w panels. talkless of a good pure wave inverter and a good CC. note: the inverter in the picture is a modified sine wave 500w continuous power inverter, without charger.the wave form is not good enough for most of your electronics.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 11:01am On Jan 07, 2022
odimbannamdi:
I connected my 2 units of fullriver batteries in parallel and used it over the night. When I woke up this morning, one of the batteries has dropped to 12.0v while the other one is still at 12.7v.

You should switch the position of the batteries, then ensure that each battery has a terminal wire. Battery A positive wire, battery B negative wire.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by queenfav(f): 11:40am On Jan 07, 2022
Dishtech:

At 50% DOD battery should be 12.06v x 4 =48.24v.
Thanks a lot Oga.I appreciate your response @Dam5reey and samnaija
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 1:08pm On Jan 07, 2022
Rugged Suoer 12v Pure Sine Wave 1500VA Power Inverter with Built in 20A Battery Charger. with selectable charge voltages/battery types.can work/charge lithium battery. comes with toroidal transformer with low energy consumption. can power any fridge or freezer. price 82k.
brand new Epever 30A Mppt Charge Controller Tracer A Series 12v/24v for @53k
0802-057-4628

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:18pm On Jan 07, 2022
Valto:
Rugged Suoer 12v Pure Sine Wave 1500VA Power Inverter with Built in 20A Battery Charger. with selectable charge voltages/battery types.can work/charge lithium battery. comes with toroidal transformer with low energy consumption. can power any fridge or freezer. price 82k.
brand new Epever 30A Mppt Charge Controller Tracer A Series 12v/24v for @49k
0802-057-4628

These your items are reasonably priced, abeg NL wetin una dey wait for?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 9:35pm On Jan 07, 2022
Valto:
when it is too cheap, run! 200k cannot buy real 12v 150ah lithium battery and 2pcs of 150w panels. talkless of a good pure wave inverter and a good CC. note: the inverter in the picture is a modified sine wave 500w continuous power inverter, without charger.the wave form is not good enough for most of your electronics.

I don't think it's what you think it is, although I stand to be corrected. Like I said earlier, it looks like DIY18650s pack, done using those types of cells that are salvaged from malfunctioning MTN lumous packs. They are Samsung cells and I already mentioned somewhere about the use of such cells. Each cell cost less than 300 hundred compared to around 800 naira per one for new original cells.

I say this because I have packs built from these salvaged cells, although they're for personal use, not for sale. And I used containers similar to the ones shown in that picture. The cells (at least my own cells) still retain as much as 95 percent capacity when tested.

If it is indeed what I think it is, another caveat is if he soldered the cells or used a spot welder. Having had experience with both, spot welded battery pack is what I'll prefer. And indeed, investing in a spot welder means my own packs are spot welded, and each cell is fused too.

The moment I spotted the post, I already made a rough calculation of the cost of the items including the two 150w solar panel, the inverter, the case and the cells (if they are the cells I suspected he used) and I can see the seller still made reasonable profit at the 200k price.

I'm not really holding brief for the seller. I'm just saying what I think it is. It is left for the buyer to verify every specifications the seller claims for the pack. He can ask for a capacity test to be performed before taking the plunge.

11 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JC2021: 10:22pm On Jan 07, 2022
Thank you guys for the wonderful solutions shared here, I really learnt a lot. I'm working on setting up a small solar inverter solution for my small office instead of getting a generator. Our light bill has been fast increasing for a while now. I'm being asked to pay between 15k to 20k per month for just 2 laptops, 2 standing fans and lightings. I'm thinking of going fully solar to mitigate cost. Below is what I plan to start with:

1. Solar panel (150w mono) for 30k

2. 2 -in-1 Pure Sine Wave Inverter. ( Solar charger / controller + 800va - 500w inverter) for 38k

3: For the battery, I have GBM 180va/12v in mind, but some people objected it. I will appreciate suggestions on good, long lasting battery (around 180va/12v) for between 70k to 100k

Total budget: 150,000 - 160, 000 naira.

I will appreciate any suggestion on how to get a more efficient solution with my budget range.

I got the solutions above on another thread.
Credit: lasthero
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olopan(m): 1:26am On Jan 08, 2022
My scope might be limited here as your choice isn't fully known but

1. If your fans can be changed to DC fans, then this is a game changer (30W max)

2. The prices listed here are not 100% realistic with current market prices except you plan on buying used equipment

3. Based educative guess that you might not use grid supply (Laptop -140W, fans -30W, lights -20W) A ceepro or 1000W - 500W pure some wave without charger should be okay

4. If you plan a 450W panel (150W x3) with a 100Ah battery, 30A PWM & inverter as aforementioned

Your battery and your loads will both be happy as your loads will be more reliant on solar rather than battery

5. This will cost more than your present budget except you plan and make things modular then make do with your budget and upgrade later

JC2021:

for just 2 laptops, 2 standing fans and lightings.

1. Solar panel (150w mono) for 30k

2. 2 -in-1 Pure Sine Wave Inverter. ( Solar charger / controller + 800va - 500w inverter) for 38k

3: For the battery, I have GBM 180va/12v in mind, but some people objected it. I will appreciate suggestions on good, long lasting battery (around 180va/12v) for between 70k to 100k

Total budget: 150,000 - 160, 000 naira.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Michaelondon53: 8:44am On Jan 08, 2022
Good morning all!

I want to know if there are any adverse effects if you charge an inverter with nepa and solar simultaneously.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 8:49am On Jan 08, 2022
odimbannamdi:

Update:

As gurus here recommended, I switched the batteries/connection of the inverter. First picture is how it was connected before, while the second picture is the new connection.

Using the new connection, I notice the battery discharge was more "balanced". When I first connected it using the second method, the battery to the left was on 12.7 while the one to the right was around 12.2/3. I noticed that the one on the left was the one discharging until it got to the same level with the one on the right - 12.2/3, then they both began to discharge in tandem. Just before I put off the system, they were both sitting at 12.0v, and they both went up to 12.1v together after putting it off.

But, as advised, I will charge both of them independently to full capacity, then connect them again in parallel and perform the test. Will update the house.

Thanks so very much for all your responses, my bosses. I keep learning new things here. God bless you, guys.

CC: Ceejay80s, Penuelseun, Samnaija, Earthrealm, Omotoda, Saint2ace, etc

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 8:58am On Jan 08, 2022
earthrealm:

the chronic killer of lead acid batteries - voltage /health imbalance.
one of your batteries is weak...and it will continue killing the healthy battery, till both are dead...did you buy and install them same time??.

also, I know you would be tempted to replace the failing battery with a new battery....don't do this, as its a vicious cycle, and the cycle will repeat again in 6 months.

continue managing the setup, perhaps buy a battery balancer and install and hope for the best....then when the batts fail..you can buy 2 new fresh batteries and hook up the balancer from day 1....or you man up and go lithium....

Thanks for your usual detailed response, boss. They are actually new Fullriver batteries that I bought in September for my new place. I even posted the pics here when I first bought it. I have been using it very sparingly, on an individual basis, when my main system is down. This will be the very first time I will be connecting them in parallel and using them in such arrangement. I suspect it was because I didn't charge them to equal levels before using them. I will do so and inform the house on how it goes.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 9:01am On Jan 08, 2022
samnaija:

You should switch the position of the batteries, then ensure that each battery has a terminal wire. Battery A positive wire, battery B negative wire.

Exactly what I did, sir, and the situation improved. I mentioned you in the above post where I uploaded the Before and After connection. I will perform more tests though
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 9:10am On Jan 08, 2022
Michaelondon53:
Good morning all!

I want to know if there are any adverse effects if you charge an inverter with nepa and solar simultaneously.
i dont think so. just make sure the charging voltage matches and doesn't surpass the recommended charging amps of the batteries.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olopan(m): 9:10am On Jan 08, 2022
Adverse effects, NO!
But most conventional inverter overwrites the charger controller as they charge with higher voltage making your solar idle during sunny hours

Michaelondon53:
Good morning all!

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abbeymighty(m): 11:46am On Jan 08, 2022
Hello house,
Please what determines quick charging between the voltage values or watts value of the solar panels into the charge controller?
Also, can I add new batteries to 8 months old used lead batteries.
Thank you in anticipation.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 9:31pm On Jan 08, 2022
60A Powmr MPPT Solar Charge Controller available
Price: 53,500 firm

1000W EASun Transformerless Inverter (no charging function). Ideal for users on a budget and for keeps as rainy-day backup. Actual/Continuous power is 500w. Peak power is 1000w. Idle watt consumption is 7w. Has protection against overload and surges from sparks

Price: 27,000

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 11:59pm On Jan 08, 2022
abbeymighty:
Hello house,
Please what determines quick charging between the voltage values or watts value of the solar panels into the charge controller?
Also, can I add new batteries to 8 months old used lead batteries.
Thank you in anticipation.

Short answer: you should not, usually ends in premium tears

Long answer:. If the existing battery was pampered and didnt go below 70% dod, and didnt see above 10%. C, then you stand half a chance.
Last last, i would say dont do it...but if you are a gambling man, and you answered yes to the questions above. Get yourself a ha12 battery balancer and hope for the best���☺️

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by OLUENTA1: 12:04pm On Jan 09, 2022
Hello comrades please I need the contact of the main importer of 48v 100ah lithium shoto batteries
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mjblinks(f): 12:10pm On Jan 09, 2022
Please, Can anyone help with list of batteries that LAST 5yrs and above and their current prices

And batteries that can LAST 3yrs and above and current prices

Reason is because my current battery is draining fast and is not up to 3yrs that was stated.

Battery =JYC battery GP200ah-12v
Panel. =2 pcs of 260w solar panel.
The inverter is 1.5kva

Loads. 2 ceiling fans, 1 TV, and 6 bulbs.( we don't on all bulbs)
We don't know how we use it wrong to avoid that in the future
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by OkoroPeugeot(m): 12:21pm On Jan 09, 2022
How you use the batteries is important too.

I'd use a car 15 years straight and never change engine, someone else would have gone through 3 engines in that time frame, exact car.

Name your battery
Let us know what 12.5 is

What's the size of your panels, your load etc.

An expert can help with that info.
mjblinks:
Please, Can anyone help with list of batteries that LAST 5yrs and above and their current prices

And batteries that can LAST 3yrs and above and current prices

Reason is because my current battery is draining fast and is not up to 3yrs that was stated. My inverter is 12.5 with two solar panel. Help
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mjblinks(f): 3:24pm On Jan 09, 2022
OkoroPeugeot:
How you use the batteries is important too.

I'd use a car 15 years straight and never change engine, someone else would have gone through 3 engines in that time frame, exact car.

Name your battery
Let us know what 12.5 is

What's the size of your panels, your load etc.

An expert can help with that info.

Battery =JYC battery GP200ah-12v
Panel. =2 pcs of 260w solar panel.
The inverter is 1.5kva

Loads. 2 ceiling fans, 1 TV, and 6 bulbs.( we don't on all bulbs)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nonoski: 6:06pm On Jan 09, 2022
I'm planning an upgrade/total overhaul of my system currently comprising of:
15nr 300 watts pv 3S5P
12nr 300watts pv 3S4P
2nr 150/100 Outback flexmax CC
1nr 5Kva Must power inverter
12nr 200/12 LA barriers in 4S3P.

This system has served me well for more than 40 months (3years 4months) but the batteries are now weak. I resisted the temptation of adding new batteries to the replace those that are faulty.

I intend to change the Must Power inverter to 5kva Growatt inverter hybrid and double my PV over the next 3months)

Question:
Please is it better to buy an external CC (victron) or should I use the CC that comes with the hybrid inverter?

Ps: I intend to use lithium batteries

Thanks for your responses

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tipsy242: 6:32pm On Jan 09, 2022
Pls why does my Famicare inverter trip off from power to inverter when the voltage is low despite it being on stabilizer? Also my new mpower battery quickly discharges from 12.7v - 12.4/12.3 but stays longer between 12.3v - 12.0v on same energy. Is this normal especially for a new battery?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by joshdgr8: 6:34pm On Jan 09, 2022
Growatt inverter has efficient mppt inbuilt, you can overide your charge controller if the max solar power you have is not more than the recommeneded max solar power for the growatt inbuilt mppt
nonoski:
I'm planning an upgrade/total overhaul of my system currently comprising of:
15nr 300 watts pv 3S5P
12nr 300watts pv 3S4P
2nr 150/100 Outback flexmax CC
1nr 5Kva Must power inverter
12nr 200/12 LA barriers in 4S3P.

This system has served me well for more than 40 months (3years 4months) but the batteries are now weak. I resisted the temptation of adding new batteries to the replace those that are faulty.

I intend to change the Must Power inverter to 5kva Growatt inverter hybrid and double my PV over the next 3months)

Question:
Please is it better to buy an external CC (victron) or should I use the CC that comes with the hybrid inverter?

Ps: I intend to use lithium batteries

Thanks for your responses
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by odimbannamdi(m): 6:58pm On Jan 09, 2022
tipsy242:
Pls why does my Famicare inverter trip off from power to inverter when the voltage is low despite it being on stabilizer? Also my new mpower battery quickly discharges from 12.7v - 12.4/12.3 but stays longer between 12.3v - 12.0v on same energy. Is this normal especially for a new battery?

Do you mean Famicare inverter or Famicare charger?

What are recommended charge voltages of the battery? You can get them from the body of battery. Snap and send to us.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by nonoski: 7:39pm On Jan 09, 2022
joshdgr8:
Growatt inverter has efficient mppt inbuilt, you can overide your charge controller if the max solar power you have is not more than the recommeneded max solar power for the growatt inbuilt mppt
Between Growatt inbuilt MPPT & external Victron Charge Controller which has a better charging algorithm.

I use Victron 250/100 CC in my village house and I can tell u that they beat Outback CC 100 to 1 in terms of charging.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1104) (1105) (1106) (1107) (1108) (1109) (1110) ... (1694) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.