Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,280 members, 7,811,832 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:36 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1242) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2048944 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1239) (1240) (1241) (1242) (1243) (1244) (1245) ... (1684) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 12:40pm On Aug 21, 2022
See the comments section of the video you posted for additional perspective to balance things out;

Some excerpts attached.

Again there is no argument that LFP for example will handle high C rates better than lead acid but clearly a lot of people who really should know better keep misrepresenting lead acid capabilities.

I want you to note that I had mentioned terminal voltage of lead acid batteries at 10.5v, a Peukert coefficient of 1.3v, proper test procedures e.t.c well before you posted this video and these same parameters are being quoted by people who have actually tested lead acid batteries properly.

Again my goal is to present a balanced view, at this point we should let the matter rest if possible.

NiyiOmoIyunade:
What kinds of inverter and LVD settings have you used boss?

The terminal voltage of a 12v lead acid battery is about 10.5v - there are cycle life vs DoD charts that tell us how many cycles a battery will do at X% DoD.

It is clear that a lead acid battery will do worse in cycle life vs Lithium at deep discharges - that does not make it impossible to abuse the lead acid battery within it's 1 hour rating.

NiyiOmoIyunade:
Actually the backup time is in the range of 20 to 25 minutes when you load a healthy fully charged 100Ah battery with an 100a load.

Rough math - with a Peukert coefficient assumption of 1.3 - a 100Ah battery at C20 has capacity reduced to 40-41Ah at C1

..... pertinent to note that the balance of Ah capacity in my rough math above was not lost, if you give the battery time to recover and the internal chemical processes to balance out, you can draw more energy from the system esp if you reduce the rate of discharge to normal limits....

AndroBlaze:

Well if my years of experience of living with LA in the real world is not testing them, I wonder what is.

Anyway, as the goal here is for all of us to learn the easy way (through experience prefeably than experiments that are costly)... I am sharing another video with more "English" and more expensive LA batteries used apparently....but its still the same findings which is consistent with what we LA users live with and know.

Not as easy and simple to follow as the other video, but still points to the same thing, which if I can use Ojesky's word,"LA batteries will not perform magic" no matter how expensive.

So I still stand by the claim earlier, "you cannot get 120A from a 100AH LA for 20 mins or anything close to that in real life use".

Obviously we await your test or any other test debunking this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy3hga_P5YY&feature=youtu.be

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 12:53pm On Aug 21, 2022
LA CHEMISTRY VS LITHIUM CHEMISTRY.
I personally appreciate all the Bosses taking time to give an elaboration on this issue, even as I appeal to an end......
We've learned alot and we'll continue learning.
May God make our investment to last longer for us all.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 1:03pm On Aug 21, 2022
Elcapitan0:

Please help me shed some light on this.
I have a battery and a 1.1kv inverter for just my security lighting and i want to upgrade to 4 batteries(220AH) lead acid batteries soon. Can i use a 24V 3.5Kw inverter with those 4 batteries or should it be 48V inverter? And what about the charge controller? Will 60A CC suffice?

Any idea of the inverter charging current, d charging current wouldn't matter if you have a properly sized pv array.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bbeckky: 1:08pm On Aug 21, 2022
microgiant:

Boss, I am not an expert on the subject. The ogas are coming to respond to your questions.
Thanks bro
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 1:14pm On Aug 21, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:
This is a good one boss. Solar don epp me in many ways.

Made me go look at my own solar yield stats;

Jun 2020 to Dec 2020 > 8.4Mwh
Jan 2021 to Dec 2021 > 13.9Mwh
Jan 2022 to June 2022 > 7.1Mwh
Deye PV yield inception to date > 4.1Mwh

Our service provider vends electric at about NGN80 per Kwh - although I do not use grid so not too current - what shows as grid in my setup is a mix of Gen and my 8kw Deye inverter which feeds into the Victron AC In #2 as the grid supply.

2022 is missing about 2 months of data because I took the GX offline for some integration experimentation with various Chinese BMS used in LFP packs

Hello ekdc grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 1:24pm On Aug 21, 2022
These arguments already scattering my head.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 1:40pm On Aug 21, 2022
Ssssshhhhhhh!

Don't let big brother NERC hear you o - before they come and ask me to pay for Genco license. grin grin grin

I nor get money o

zeestone99:

Hello ekdc grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TechGeek777: 2:36pm On Aug 21, 2022
gadgetplanetng:

Series and parallel connection

4 batteries in series (voltage adds up) 48v 200AH

Make 3 rows of that then connect all in parallel (current adds up) so 48v 600ah

Gracias nwanne m nwoke, well understood
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojesymsym: 2:37pm On Aug 21, 2022
I believe a properly sized capacitor can also do this, can't it?

NiyiOmoIyunade:
What SPDs are you buying?

A lot of the el cheapo SPDs actually offer very little protection and with a lightning hit, you get only one chance.

The 1st level and primary protection is the quality of your protective earthing, everything else depends on that, the job of the SPD is to limit the voltage rise the downstream equipment sees by rapidly shunting any faults to the earth.

The 1 meter rule is to achieve best chance of protection in case of an induced surge by placing the SPD as close to the protected device as possible - 1 meter is a lot of space in an electrical enclosure and I see no trouble meeting it.

If especially exposed or at risk, you can do tiered protection cascading several SPDs all the way from possible point of fault incidence to protected device.

Overall I tell people to focus more on proper low resistance earthing and ensuring all energy generators and processors properly connected and not obsess too much over SPDs.

See below a decent SPD I use all the time - note the length of the factory supplied cable.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TechGeek777: 2:38pm On Aug 21, 2022
kiss
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TechGeek777: 2:39pm On Aug 21, 2022
samnaija:

My brother mecury

Noted bro, am still learning "RE" sorry for the numerous questions oh!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TechGeek777: 2:43pm On Aug 21, 2022
samnaija:

Look at it these way 12 batteries of (12v 200ah).
You will series 4 of the batteries this now gives you 48v 200ah bank. When you series voltage goes up.

Now do the same for the remaining batteries, you will have 3 different banks each 48v 200ah in value.

Now you will parallel the 3 battery banks each (48v200ah) together .

Now in parallel your capacity or ah of your battery increases so eventually end up with 48v 600ah single battery bank.

Thanks bro, understood!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 3:11pm On Aug 21, 2022
TechGeek777:

Thanks bro, understood!

You will also need battery balancers, about 3, for each 48v200ah bank. And there is wiring diagram I would drop to make sure things are even . I got it from this forum.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 3:57pm On Aug 21, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Ssssshhhhhhh!

Don't let big brother NERC hear you o - before they come and ask me to pay for Genco license. grin grin grin

I nor get money o

U Neva send my fish n bottles. I'm sending ur address if u no do normal. grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 4:38pm On Aug 21, 2022
Yes a capacitor and gas discharge tubes etc can be part of a surge protection system but I think these are more appropriate in an industrial setting where the equipment ruggedness and tolerance for surges much higher

In any case such usage would need some design rigor to get things right

ojesymsym:
I believe a properly sized capacitor can also do this, can't it?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by TechGeek777: 5:20pm On Aug 21, 2022
TechGeek777:

https://me3energy.ng/batteries.html

https://invertermall.com.ng/product-category/batteries/

https://swiftermall.com/34-inverter-batteries

https://www.solarkobo.com/shop

Expert in the house over to you. Please help highlight suspicious site here, and also advise on genuine ones here by arranging them in appropriate order!

Experts in the house, abeg make una look into this.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Elcapitan0: 8:02pm On Aug 21, 2022
zeestone99:

Any idea of the inverter charging current, d charging current wouldn't matter if you have a properly sized pv array.
I have no idea sir.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 10:17pm On Aug 21, 2022
lipsrsealed
Elcapitan0:

I have no idea sir.

You need minimum 40a charging current if you will be going for the 24v option (becos u v to parrallel the ba3s). If you will be charging/generating power via solar panels then the inverter charging current doesn't matter anymore.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sethtsadopp: 12:23am On Aug 22, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:
This is a good one boss. Solar don epp me in many ways.

Made me go look at my own solar yield stats;

Jun 2020 to Dec 2020 > 8.4Mwh
Jan 2021 to Dec 2021 > 13.9Mwh
Jan 2022 to June 2022 > 7.1Mwh
Deye PV yield inception to date > 4.1Mwh

Our service provider vends electric at about NGN80 per Kwh - although I do not use grid so not too current - what shows as grid in my setup is a mix of Gen and my 8kw Deye inverter which feeds into the Victron AC In #2 as the grid supply.

2022 is missing about 2 months of data because I took the GX offline for some integration experimentation with various Chinese BMS used in LFP packs

I am assuming alot on the side of your cost of set up but based on my very very rough estimation, wouldn't it take you close to 20 years to break even compared to if you were buying this energy for the public supply (grid)?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 12:36am On Aug 22, 2022
durodee:
My answer to "who solar epp?" My usage in 18months. I wonder how much it will cost me to achieve same with generator?
Approx 500,000 naira at current energy rate
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mank1234(m): 12:59am On Aug 22, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Perhaps you should upsize your cabling between the SPD and main panel to counter the extra length - it would have been easy to put the SPDs close by if you had planned for it from the get go.

Do you have the MCOV and Clamp Voltage rating for the TOMZNs? This will give you an idea what level of protection they promise and you can then test using a high voltage generator (such as used for electric fences) whether the SPD is clamping any voltage at all.

The Midnite SPDs are rated for Type 1 and 2 usage I think.

Upsizing cable does not offer any advantage when it comes to transient voltage (lightening). The key is to ensure that cable length is short. Like in the diagram below L1+L2+L3 should be less than 50cm.

To achieve above, SPD should be close to load branches in the DB, the earth wire between the SPD and the DB should be very short, free of other wires and not coiled (should be straight).

If the above is not possible, he should opt for type 3 SPD at the point the device is located..

https://www.electrical-installation.org/enwiki/Connection_of_Surge_Protection_Device

https://www.electrical-installation.org/enwiki/Cabling_rules_of_Surge_Protection_Device

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 2:23am On Aug 22, 2022
HURRY!! LIMITED STOCK!!!

Brand new 1000 watts 12v Pure sine wave standalone power Inverter.

Ideal for users on a budget and for keeps as rainy-day backup.Ideal for campers. Ideal for 12v off-grid systems "optional external battery charger can be attached to supplement solar array against periodic rainy weather". Ideal for automobile uses ensuring 100% pure sine wave safe output.

Actual/Continuous power is 1000w. Peak power is 2000w. Soft start feature enhances smooth powering of refrigerator, sensitive appliances.
Idle watt consumption 7 watts.

Protection features:
-Low voltage shutdown
-Over voltage shutdown
-Short circuit shutdown
-Over temperature shutdown
-Overload protection
-Polarity reverse fuse protection
-Earth leakage protection

40,000 PROMO PRICE : 35,000

FOR BEGINNERS, HERE'S A BRIEF VIDEO CLIP TO GUIDE YOU REGARDING POWER INVERTERS;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oTheLB-ZEY

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL ONLY:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: http://.us/w/?c=a46ea5

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 2:24am On Aug 22, 2022
TYL DEEP CYCLE BATTERY AVAILABLE!!

T.Y.L 12v 200ah deep cycle battery

Features:
- Grid refining technology & thicker cell plates are used to extend the battery life (60-64kg led weight) . It also reduces the plate grid corrosion speed using oxygen recombination technology.
- 1200 cycles at 30% depth of discharge
- 700 cycles at 50% depth of discharge
- 12v 200ah (10hr rating)
- 2.7 milliohms internal resistance
- 60a maximum charging current

PRICE: 140,000

BUY 4 UNITS & GET FREE DC EQUALIZER

Datasheet available on request.

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL ONLY:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: http://.us/w/?c=a46ea5

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 3:15am On Aug 22, 2022
TechGeek777:

Thanks bro, understood!

This is the wiring diagram, apart from the battery balancers ,other minor wiring to ensure a well balanced bank . These was provided by @mctrinity a while back.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 4:05am On Aug 22, 2022
ojeysky:

This is something we could group buy on if it can fit naija human sizes(not the portable Chinese human grin ) ...the main challenge though still be maintenance since there won't be a service center nearby.

I've seen Americans in these rides. You know those dudes are bigger than us on the average grin

Biggest issue will be lack of service centre.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 8:14am On Aug 22, 2022
I speak a bit of French.

The French have a saying that 'there are never any indiscreet questions, only indiscreet answers' grin grin grin

The only thing I will say is that payback time is much shorter than you have estimated.

Also you assume that the electric is available on tap all the time? In a scenario where energy availability is mission critical, a man has to do what he has to do.

sethtsadopp:

I am assuming alot on the side of your cost of set up but based on my very very rough estimation, wouldn't it take you close to 20 years to break even compared to if you were buying this energy for the public supply (grid)?

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by annass227: 8:51am On Aug 22, 2022
Please Help me!

I want power of around 55walt 24/7 in AC not DC, I already have a 160W solar panel from Felicity.

My Question is:
1 - Will the panel work?
2 - Can I get away with 100AH deep cycle lead acid?
3 - I'm also looking to buy 300W inverter, will it work?
Please consider, thanks you.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Justice629(m): 9:28am On Aug 22, 2022
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 10:58am On Aug 22, 2022
Available now

Sorotec 5.5kw 48v 100a hybrid inverter 500vdc parrallel- 410k (limited quantity)

Sorotec 3.5kw 24v 100a hybrid inverter 500vdc parallel- 310k

Sorotec 3.5kw 24v 100a hybrid inverter 500vdc non parallel - 295k (out of stock)

Sunmart 5.5kw 48v 100a hybrid inverter 500vdc - 310k(out of stock)

Sunmart 3.5kw 24v 100a hybrid inverter 500vdc - 260k( out of stock)

Epever 60a mppt charge controller - 130k

Epever 100a mppt charge controller - 225k

Must 100a mppt solar charge controller - 130k (out of stock)

Must 60a mppt solar charge controller - 110k

Fangpusun flexmax 80a mppt charge controller - 220k

Axpert 3.5kva 50amps pwm hybrid inverter - (out of stock )

1.7kva smarten inverter PSW - 90k

Avr/current limiter 60a - 8k
3 in 1 avr/current limiter with kwh display - 15k
DC SPD 600v - 9k
Watt meter - 8k
Programmable timer 15a UK pkug - 8k
Programmable timer 25a - 9k
DC breaker single pole - 2.5k
DC breakers double pole 63a - 6k
DC breaker double pole 100a - 8k
Dc breaker double pole 125a - 9k
Ha02 battery balancer - 35k
30a souer smart battery charger 12v - 20k
Automatic transfer switch (ATS) 63a - 20k
Automatic transfer switch (ATS) 100a - 23k
Automatic transfer switch (ATS) 125a - 25k
40a mppt lumiax Bluetooth controller - 70k
Fangpusun 50amps mppt controller - 75k
60amps lumiax Bluetooth mppt controller - 115k (out of stock)
60amps powmr mppt - 68k
DM for other items.

Call/chat - 08117398294

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samir101ng(m): 11:59am On Aug 22, 2022
TechGeek777:

Experts in the house, abeg make una look into this.

These are all solar equipment sellers with a good online presence. You can also add https://www.solardepotng.com/ to that list. But i have personally never had any dealings with them. And some of them have had issues that had been reported here already on this platform. Therefore, you transact at your own risks. In my previous posts, the resellers i posted were authorized dealers who have signed agreements with the global brands to be their representatives in Nigeria so they carry a bit more weight in my opinion. Also, i highly advise you visit a sellers office and check out availability and price of their products. A lot of these sellers don't update their websites and contact numbers to reflect realities. Therefore, go to there office and deal face to face is my honest opinion. Warranty and fault repairs should also be discussed extensively before purchase to avoid issues later on.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samir101ng(m): 12:01pm On Aug 22, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Ssssshhhhhhh!

I nor get money o

If una only know the amount of regulators & players in this forum eh !! shocked shocked

Dem full here boku. grin grin

I no go name names sha grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 12:08pm On Aug 22, 2022
Niyi na one of them tongue

samir101ng:

If una only know the amount of regulators & players in this forum eh !! shocked shocked

Dem full here boku. grin grin

I no go name names sha grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (1239) (1240) (1241) (1242) (1243) (1244) (1245) ... (1684) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: abbey, moneyest(m), Ithaca(f) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.